PDA

View Full Version : Hains Point CaBi Races

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 12:25 PM
We've talked enough - time to make it happen. Feel free to argue about format, but here's my suggestion.

Meet at the CaBi station at the given time. We'd need a head count so we can make sure we have enough bikes. I think staggered groups of 4 or 5 would head out with a race official on a real bike making sure things are legit. Obey all traffic laws. Foot-down stop at all stop signs. If we have enough people we'd do a winners' race the next day (it seems cruel to make someone do two five mile laps on those bikes).

Who's in?

OneEighth
09-05-2013, 12:38 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
I'm in (assuming no timing conflicts).

MattAune
09-05-2013, 12:57 PM
In.

The hard part is finding someone trustworthy of the stopwatch. :)

vvill
09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
I'm in (assuming no timing conflicts).

^ This!

We could do a TTT? That way would wouldn't need too many bikes or odd maneuvers, and we could still have some pacelining.

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
In.

We can always check the times at the CaBi website. They go down to the second.

rcannon100
09-05-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm not trustworthy, but I have a stop watch, and I dont have a CABI membership - and I work a potatoes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quayle#.22Potatoe.22) throw from HP. Maybe I can get some office peers to wander over.

vvill
09-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Strava!

KayakCyndi
09-05-2013, 01:13 PM
OMG that sounds awesome! I'll come just to watch and ring cow bells. You organize the race, and assuming no scheduling conflict, I'll organize the race viewing and post race picnic.

ps I'm a CABI member and would be willing to loan someone my key to get a bike if needed.

Steve
09-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Foot-down stop at all stop signs.

If you think for one second that I wouldn't drag my foot on the ground while moving at a high rate of speed in order to win, you'd be wrong.

I wish I could do this, but unlikely to be possible if this is a weekday race. Still a great idea. Over/under on high speed reached during the competition? 22mph?

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
If you think for one second that I wouldn't drag my foot on the ground while moving at a high rate of speed in order to win, you'd be wrong.
That's why I specified foot-down stop, not just foot-down.

americancyclo
09-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I will totally borrow anyone's Cabi key for this. When do we pick teams?

bikeeveryday
09-05-2013, 01:50 PM
I like it, but I don't think we need any stinking race officials. I also like the TTT idea also.

There are potentially 20 bikes at the Hains Point CABI station (near the Jefferson Memorial) at any one time. (I would use a CABI bike from the Ronald Reagan Building to get there). So, depending on the number of participants and available bikes, we could send off that many "racers" at a time. When the first wave returns, the bikes are returned to the CABI station, and the next wave of "racers" head out.

With respect to timing, the individual "racers" could use STRAVA to time laps, whether using the app on a smartphone or via Garmin uploaded later. Results would be announced somehow later on...

my 2 cents

^ This!

We could do a TTT? That way would wouldn't need too many bikes or odd maneuvers, and we could still have some pacelining.

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't like basing anything off Strava - it puts the accuracy in the hands of whatever device you happen to have, and I would suspect a $600 Garmin is going to be a lot more accurate than a 3 year old free Android phone.

Of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be using Strava during the ride, but basing any winning and losing on it I think is dangerous.

americancyclo
09-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Would noon or afternoon on a Friday work for most folks? Warm-up lap in a pace line followed by individual starts with 20" between. Cycling attire left to the participants' discretion.

Is that minutes or inches? paceline, right?

ShawnoftheDread
09-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm in too, though I don't have a cabi membership.

OneEighth
09-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Is that minutes or inches? paceline, right?

' indicates minutes, " indicates seconds, but I kinda like your idea, too. Precision Cabi formation riding.

KayakCyndi
09-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I will totally borrow anyone's Cabi key for this. When do we pick teams?

I'm in too, though I don't have a cabi membership.

CABI key available to the highest bidder!

Hancockbs
09-05-2013, 02:11 PM
No membership here either, but I'll rent one if the timing allows me to be there.

Tim Kelley
09-05-2013, 02:14 PM
It wouldn't be difficult to secure a stack of one day memberships. Each person would still have to register with their credit card though at the kiosk.

83(b)
09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I've got two CaBi keys I'll put towards anyone's participation in the endeavor. I'll probably just show up with a camera to capture this ELITE paceline. I'm not sure I have the lungs to race like 6.5 gear inches around a 5K course!

consularrider
09-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Does the timing include undocking and redocking the CaBi?

Tim Kelley
09-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Oh, and I'd recommend that Gate to Gate segment, since that was no one is breaking the law by running lights...

http://www.strava.com/segments/1081507

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I've got two CaBi keys I'll put towards anyone's participation in the endeavor. I'll probably just show up with a camera to capture this ELITE paceline. I'm not sure I have the lungs to race like 6.5 gear inches around a 5K course!
We're talking a loop beginning and ending at the CaBi station, so it's 5 miles, not 5 kilometers.

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Does the timing include undocking and redocking the CaBi?
Yes, though it is permitted to adjust your seat and switch gears before the timer starts.

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Oh, and I'd recommend that Gate to Gate segment, since that was no one is breaking the law by running lights...

See above. Foot-down stop required.

Tim Kelley
09-05-2013, 02:29 PM
See above. Foot-down stop required.

Too much of a gray area...and no way to enforce it.

consularrider
09-05-2013, 02:34 PM
' indicates minutes, " indicates seconds, but I kinda like your idea, too. Precision Cabi formation riding.
I expect this isn't a TTT (team time trial) so wouldn't drafting be agains the Geneva Convention? Of course there could be a separate team event. Good publicity for CaBi, get live coverage from ESPN?

OneEighth
09-05-2013, 02:35 PM

I agree. For level playing field reasons as well. We'll just need two officials with race sheets and synchronized watches.

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Man, did you even read the original post? A neutral party on a regular bike would be riding with the racers. We're all PALs here.

Tim Kelley
09-05-2013, 02:38 PM
We're all PALs here.

Riiight. Commuting is one thing, but once the race starts I think that'll all go out the window. My recommendation is to simply remove any possibility of wrongdoing happening. 2.5 miles is still plenty of distance to show off your VO2max and high cadence....

consularrider
09-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Man, did you even read the original post? A neutral party on a regular bike would be riding with the racers. We're all PALs here.
But we're all also cyclists, and therefore by common definition, scofflaws and not to be trusted. :p

Tim Kelley
09-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Gate to Gate would also provide some spectating opportunities at the start and finish without such a big lull in between.

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 02:44 PM
I think the race loses something if you undock, ride to the start, finish, and have to ride back to the dock. Plus you're in danger of actually paying - riding the five mile loop in 30 minutes is no problem, but getting to the start, getting lined up, finishing, getting back - that's going to be pushing it. I mean, $1.50 isn't a huge deal, but in my mind part of the whole point was doing it in under 30 minutes.

bobco85
09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
But we're all also cyclists, and therefore by common definition, scofflaws and not to be trusted. :p

Well, in that case, why not have part of it go on the golf courses (both regular and mini) and call it the Haines Point Alley Cat CaBi Race ;)

HPACCBR (pronounced "Heh-pak-brr") is an acronym that will last!

jopamora
09-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Let's get a date and time on this thing!

ShawnoftheDread
09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I think the race loses something if you undock, ride to the start, finish, and have to ride back to the dock. Plus you're in danger of actually paying - riding the five mile loop in 30 minutes is no problem, but getting to the start, getting lined up, finishing, getting back - that's going to be pushing it. I mean, $1.50 isn't a huge deal, but in my mind part of the whole point was doing it in under 30 minutes.

But the the start and finish could be at the dock station. You start as soon as your bike is pulled out and you're done when it's put back.

Tim Kelley
09-05-2013, 03:00 PM
I mean, $1.50 isn't a huge deal.

Think of it as your entry fee, if you aren't fast enough...

jopamora
09-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Is this the course (http://goo.gl/maps/EVTdm) you were thinking? We could make a segment for this on Strava.

jrenaut
09-05-2013, 03:12 PM
No, I was thinking the station at Ohio Drive and West Basin, but if we're not doing a dock-to-dock race it doesn't really matter.

rcannon100
09-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I can see it now!!! It will be like musical chairs!!! You guys will clear a dock of ALL of its bikes and go off to HP. This will send a message to CABI that will then mobilize a truck to rebalance, placing new bikes in the dock. You guys will come back, and half the open docks will be gone. So the slow guys will lose the race by having to go off and find another dock, and probably pay overage fees.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vaK6iK_q4DI/UbAlx4zJwYI/AAAAAAAADu8/XKYNLZ0PIZE/s320/awesome.jpg

PotomacCyclist
09-05-2013, 04:18 PM
If the station is full, you can enter your key or credit card info to get an extra 15 minutes to ride to another station.

I'm a frequent CaBi user but I'm not sure if I'll do this race. If I do enter, this is my planned race strategy:

https://vimeo.com/73094693

ShawnoftheDread
09-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Your plan is to blow a substantial lead by grandstanding like a DB?

OneEighth
09-05-2013, 06:45 PM
And the trash talk begins...

ShawnoftheDread
09-05-2013, 06:53 PM
No, I'm just trying to understand the reference to the the linked video. Maybe he meant the shoving part.

PotomacCyclist
09-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I was kidding about using that strategy. But I agree that the winner was a total idiot. To be fair, many winners do a similar celebration at the end of long races. Maybe the problem was the tight turn before the finish line, so he couldn't see the 2nd-place guy approaching until the last moments.

The 2nd-place guy did the sporting thing and slowed up when he saw the leader start to run again. So the shove wasn't even necessary. If the officials wanted to be strict about enforcing rules, they could have penalized that guy with a time penalty, or even a disqualification, for intentionally interfering with another athlete. It's clearly interference when you try to grab onto someone else and push them back from crossing the finish line.

In the end, it's not the worst thing ever done. He made a mistake but he did show himself to be the best competitor that day. He's receiving well-deserved criticism on the Web, but I think that's as far as it needs to go.

bikeeveryday
09-06-2013, 12:42 PM

What happened to the honor system, people. This isn't some UCI sanctioned event. Let's just have fun!

bikeeveryday
09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I was thinking that the Jefferson Memorial CABI station would be the start/end point.

Is this the course (http://goo.gl/maps/EVTdm) you were thinking? We could make a segment for this on Strava.

jopamora
09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
You need to talk it over with Mr. Renaut.

I was thinking that the Jefferson Memorial CABI station would be the start/end point.

mstone
09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
What happened to the honor system, people. This isn't some UCI sanctioned event. Let's just have fun!

so, you're saying drug testing only for the podium finishers?

MV Clyde
09-06-2013, 09:20 PM
so, you're saying drug testing only for the podium finishers?

Random testing. Plus once you commit to the race, you need to report your whereabouts on the forum at all times.

CPTJohnC
09-27-2013, 01:39 PM
I know I'm late to this party, but since I just activated my CaBi membership today (and still have a week to wait for my key) it only became relevant now. Will this ever happen? What are the classes? Age? Weight? I'd do it just for the spectacle (in my best cycling kit of course!)

jrenaut
09-27-2013, 02:22 PM
We lost momentum. Maybe the upcoming holiday weekend?

jopamora
09-27-2013, 06:58 PM
I created this segment (http://www.strava.com/segments/5619095) on my way home.

baiskeli
09-27-2013, 07:47 PM
We lost momentum.

Well, yeah, you're on a big heavy CaBi bike.

jrenaut
09-27-2013, 08:39 PM
I created this segment (http://www.strava.com/segments/5619095) on my way home.
I need to go ride down to Hains Point, lock up my bike, and do that segment on a Cabi. This is now a goal for this weekend.

MattAune
11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
New CaBi station at the tennis courts in East Potomac Park. https://twitter.com/bikeshare/status/398859518312198144/photo/1

we need to make this happen.

culimerc
11-08-2013, 01:51 PM
We could have different events; distance (5 laps), timed ( how many laps in 25 mins), and team timed (4 riders each has to complete X laps, return bike to station, next team member can then rent his bike), maybe we could set up a trials course.

rcannon100
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
New CaBi station at the tennis courts in East Potomac Park. https://twitter.com/bikeshare/status/398859518312198144/photo/1

we need to make this happen.

What's hysterical about this is - I work at 12th and D St SW. We are CABI Silver Partners. CABI best practices recommends for a station to work, it needs to be within .3 mile of those that would use it. We are now, officially, surrounded. On every side, everywhere, is a CABI station..... greater than .3 mile away. They even doubled up on stations on Indie avenue, before they brought a station to 12th & D.

Look at the CABI map. You will see a hole in coverage in SW, right at 12th & D.... with overlapping coverage many other places.

Now that we are surrounded, I sent CABI a message that we surrender, asking if we could have a station now.

Who actually makes the decisions about where the stations go. Names?

TwoWheelsDC
11-08-2013, 03:51 PM
What's hysterical about this is - I work at 12th and D St SW. We are CABI Silver Partners. CABI best practices recommends for a station to work, it needs to be within .3 mile of those that would use it. We are now, officially, surrounded. On every side, everywhere, is a CABI station..... greater than .3 mile away. They even doubled up on stations on Indie avenue, before they brought a station to 12th & D.

Look at the CABI map. You will see a hole in coverage in SW, right at 12th & D.... with overlapping coverage many other places.

Now that we are surrounded, I sent CABI a message that we surrender, asking if we could have a station now.

Who actually makes the decisions about where the stations go. Names?

FWIW, Google Maps shows that 12th/Independence station is .2 miles, the L'Enfant/Independence station is .3 miles, and the Jefferson/12th station is .3 miles. Of course, that doesn't mean that your area wouldn't be well-served by a station, but going off the .3 miles guideline you list, there are 3 already in place. And the stations along Independence seem to spaced in such a way as to maintain coverage of the areas between Independence and 395. Again, I'm sure there could be better coverage, but I'd wager that DDOT/CaBi have at least tried to maintain a minimum level of coverage for that corridor.

Megabeth
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
So...how about considering having the 1st Cabi Relay during the Hains Point 100 (http://www.hainspoint100.com/)on Sunday, December 22nd...

jrenaut
11-22-2013, 08:23 AM
So...how about considering having the 1st Cabi Relay during the Hains Point 100 (http://www.hainspoint100.com/)on Sunday, December 22nd...
I was about to say I didn't want to intrude on someone else's event, but it's YOUR event, so I guess that's cool.

Megabeth
11-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Nope, whatever gets people down there and entertained...go for it!

jrenaut
12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Ok, let's make it official. We are doing Hains Point CaBi races during the Hains Point 100 on Sunday, December 22nd. Be there. And consider donating to WABA on behalf of the ride.

Who's in?

Mikey
12-06-2013, 09:12 AM
When is the Gravely point CaBi-Cross race? Pretty hard to shoulder a 75 lb step through frame.

jrenaut
12-06-2013, 09:13 AM
When is the Gravely point CaBi-Cross race? Pretty hard to shoulder a 75 lb step through frame.
Get your own thread.