PDA

View Full Version : Promos or Coupons?

FeltZ85
09-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Hey People,

Long time listener, first time posting.

While my bike is in the shop, I've been thinking about getting a Capital Bikeshare membership. I was wondering if they ever run promos or have discount codes, or if I should just go ahead and sign up.

Cheers,
Andy

Mikey
09-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Come to a Third Thursday Happy Hour or participate in Kidical mass and you may be able to pick up a free day pass code, but otherwise I would recommend just getting the yearly pass. I know they had done a Living Social half priced membership deal in the past but I doubt with their current popularity they will do that again.

Although I am not a current member (increased my daily bike commuting on my own bike) I thoroughly enjoyed being a member when I was one.

Steve
09-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Usually the flyers that have a free day pass also have a $10 off yearly membership code.

Tim Kelley
09-03-2013, 08:37 AM
+1 for what Steve said.

Also, Clipper Magazine in Arlington had an insert for $25 off memberships last week. I don't think DC or Alexandria do many discount promos.

FeltZ85
09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I joined at retail price over the weekend. I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth out of it. It's a small price to pay and way better than waiting for metro buses that never seem to come.

PotomacCyclist
09-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Capital Bikeshare (or CaBi as many people call it) is great for short errands, one-way trips, casual scenic trips on the Mall and the Mt. Vernon Trail and for some bike commutes. Just be aware that downtown DC stations fill up quickly on weekday mornings and empty out on weekday evenings, during rush hours.

If you have a smartphone, download the free Spotcycle app. It provides near-real time updates on dock and bike availability. Use it to determine if your intended destination has available docks or whether you need to use an alternate station. Or use it to find if there are bikes available at your intended departure station.

I use CaBi very frequently, probably more than most people who also have their own bikes. I think CaBi is awesome. But I also understand the limitations in certain situations (mostly with bike commuting to downtown DC).