PDA

View Full Version : BicycleSPACE has the best and most group rides--and, we bring snacks! Join us!

JordanM
03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Our new store, centrally located in the city (just five blocks west of Union Station), is a true social hub. We are constantly hosting activities and holding fun events at our store. Please check out our website (http://www.bicyclespacewdc.com), for all the details. Although there is much more to come this spring and summer season, here is a primer on some of the group rides we are currently doing.

Nice N’ Easy Both Saturdays and Sundays at 10am

Perfectly suited for beginner riders and those who do not yet feel comfortable on city streets, this short trip gets your weekend day going. The group setting and social atmosphere will allow those who are new to cycling to gain confidence and associate having fun with biking as they discover what, to many, may likely be a new portion of the city. The riders will go north and east on calm roads from BicycleSPACE to the northernmost portion of the completed paved portion of the Metropolitan Branch Trail at Franklin Street. Here people will be introduced to the trail as they take it down into the heart of NOMA, passing murals and plantings along the way. From the New York Avenue Metro Station, the riders head south and make their way to the National Mall where they will pass the Capitol, do a loop around Madison and Jefferson Drives, and then head north back to the store. In all, the route is 10 miles and, at a very casual pace, takes about one hour. Back at BicycleSPACE, participants will be offered a snack and encouraged to hang out at the store. Also worth mentioning, customers who are considering purchasing a bike are encouraged to take the opportunity to join these rides to be able to give any particular bike a longer test ride than is typically allowed at bike stores.

Cupcake Ramble- Saturdays at 11:30am

This ride, led by well-reputed baker and cycling throwback, Sol Schott, will take riders through calm park spaces at a casual pace. Riders will truly ramble along, enjoying the beauty of the natural surroundings until they find a cozy place to stop and enjoy a snack. Not limited to cupcakes, each new week Sol will treat participants with any variety of his delicious desserts such as pound cake, eclairs, blueberry crumbles, and scones.

City Explorers- Sundays at 11:30 am

Designed to introduce people to exciting new aspects of the city, this ride will change every week. Riders will venture out on routes that are less well known and will seek out eclectic points of interest where they are sure to learn new and interesting things about the city they call home. Weekly themes might include a grocery ride where riders visit a food coop, a mural ride that checks out notable murals in different parts of the city, an old tree ride that seeks out ancient trees, a green architecture ride that passes innovative new buildings, a history tour, and many more examples. Riders will be encouraged to bring cameras and have an interactive experience. There will always be a place to stop and enjoy a quick bite to eat while discussing the day’s adventure.

Open House and Garden Tour- Second Sunday of Every Month at 10 a.m

A friendly neighbor, Thais Austin, has partnered with BicycleSPACE to lead a ride that will show participants the ins and outs of many DC neighborhoods. This active approach to opening people’s eyes to the many great real estate listings in the city is sure to win people’s hearts and sell them on the liveability of DC. Riders will seek out the latest attractive offerings and have the opportunity to tour some of the best deals on the market.

Mark Blacknell
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
I've heard some good things on twitter about the explorers ride - anyone else been on one of these?

Erik Kugler
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Hey Mark, I'm partial of course :) BUT I love it when I get to lead the #cityexplorer rides. We try to take people along routes that are not yet very popular, connect trail systems, and point out interesting parts and aspects of our city and the region. The themes are constantly changing, and we hope people enjoy rekindling their sense of discovery.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm one of the owners of BicycleSPACE and you're all welcome to join us. This weekend we'll have 5 rides - I've added the 60 mile (metric) "Rough & Tumble" which leaves at 8.30a on Sunday. All I can say is bring a tough bike and be ready to climb some hills 30 miles in. It's a combo of hardpack, smooth rolling hills, and a few steep climbs.

brendan
03-16-2011, 05:18 PM
This weekend we'll have 5 rides - I've added the 60 mile (metric) "Rough & Tumble" which leaves at 8.30a on Sunday. All I can say is bring a tough bike and be ready to climb some hills 30 miles in. It's a combo of hardpack, smooth rolling hills, and a few steep climbs.

Don't see it on the website calendar yet... :)

Brendan

Mark Blacknell
03-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Sounds interesting, Erik, and I'll definitely jump on some weekend soon. Already have two appts for some self/other inflicted pain this weekend.