PDA

View Full Version : Tour du Port (Baltimore) - Sept 29, 2013

KLizotte
08-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Has anyone here done the Tour du Port? It's supposedly really popular but I looked at the map and the 63 mile route goes through some rather industrial areas (unless these areas have been redeveloped recently into expensive condos) and it appears that there is some freeway riding (I presume they shut down the road for this).

Wondering how well the ride is run, whether it is worth getting up at the crack of dawn to do, how nice the roads are, scenery, etc. I did the same organization's B'more Parks ride a year or so ago and that was good except for the fact that the ride was almost over before we came across a water/food station. I had to resort to going to a restaurant for water/bathroom long before then. The route also took us along one scary stretch of road (very busy with potholes on a long, steep descent). Other than that it was very good.

Rod Smith
08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I rode last year and plan to do it again this year. I have not heard a positive opinion of this ride from anyone else who has tried it. Pearls before swine. The industrial areas and freeway riding are among the highlights (no highways or byways are closed to motor vehicles for this event). There is nothing scary or dangerous, it's all fun. If anyone wants to ride to the event, I'd love to have some company. Meet up at Proteus 4ish? Last year Proteus lead a ride to Baltimore and back, leaving at a more reasonable hour, enjoying the festivities but skipping the odious urban riding by avoiding riding the event itself. That's a fun ride too which you might consider if they do it again this year.

KLizotte
08-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Wow, now that's a ringing endorsement! :p I keep getting emails from the organizers about the event and couldn't figure out why it was supposedly so popular given the route. Must be a Baltimore thing. The Proteus event sounds more inviting.