PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night Freshbikes Mosaic Ride

Dirt
07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I heard about a new Freshbikes ride. This isn't the no-drop ride like Wednesday, but we'll likely have a variety of groups riding. If you want to do a group ride and know the loop, please join us!!!

Freshbikes is proud to announce another weekly training ride series from the Mosaic Shop. This one is in association with the DC Triathlon Club (www.dctriclub.org/). Thursday Night is the night! We'll start out using the same "Tour of Mosaic" course as the Wednesday Night rides with one added lap for texture. Dane and Pete are exploring other options that might give a bit of variety.

Meet: Freshbikes Mosaic between 6 and 6:15pm. Wheels Rolling at 6:30.
Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2669619 + one extra lap
Distance: 18.5 miles with the option of adding another loop to make it 23.
Pace: We'll have ride leaders to help guide going at many different paces. If you want to go faster than the ride leaders, you'll need to guide yourself.
Post Ride: We often roll over to Lost Dog Cafe in Dunn Loring for a beer. (2729A Merrilee Dr, Fairfax, VA)

MRH5028
07-16-2013, 08:54 AM
I may have to get on board with this one. I'm moving out to Dunn Loring in two weeks (about a half block from Lost Dog) so I could easily do this ride, and I'm getting bored of the trail. I play hockey on Wednesdays so the other Freshbikes Mosaic ride would never work. Thanks for posting this.

Dirt
07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
We're on for tonight. 4:30 wheels rolling for the pre-ride. 6:30pm Wheels rolling for the main ride. Hope to see you there!

DaveK
07-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Can you post a quick "how to get there from the W&OD"? I'm thinking about trying to make it tonight.

acc
07-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Can you post a quick "how to get there from the W&OD"? I'm thinking about trying to make it tonight.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2933488

Gallows has a bike lane until Cottage. There is a multi-use path on the right at the intersection of Cottage and Gallows if you prefer not to ride along Gallows over the bridge at I-66. Taking Gallows is okay, in fact it's easier to get the turn onto Prosperity if you do that. Take the left at the stoplight onto Merrilee, cross Lee Highway and you'll take the first left onto Strawberry. That part is easy.

The area around Dunn Loring Metro is treacherous. Cars pulling in and out, buses, pedestrians texting/walking, etc. But otherwise, it's an easy ride.

acc
07-25-2013, 11:41 AM
And here's a way to do it coming in on Shreve Road. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2933536

Dirt
07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
The route that Ann highlighted works well. There are alternatives.

You can take the W&OD to Gallows Road, turn left and take the Gallows Bike Lane south. At Cottage, the lane ends. Most people take the sidewalk for the next few blocks. It is wide and acceptable for bikes. Turn Right on Prosperity (immediately after Dunn Loring Metro) and then left on Merrilee. That takes you right into Mosaic.

It looks like this: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2933631

This is the route that I use when traffic is low: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2933637
The section on Lee Highway is not fun during high traffic. You can ride the very wide sidewalks all the way to Gallows and into Mosaic that way.

ShawnoftheDread
07-25-2013, 12:02 PM
And here's a way to do it coming in on Shreve Road. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2933536

Isn't there a light now at Providence Forest and Gallows? So if you didn't want to ride on Lee the whole way, you could turn on Hartland and then take the first left.

dcv
07-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Dave if you want to meet up I'll be crossing key bridge around 5:25. We can meet at the Key Bridge Marriott parking lot, just let me know.

DaveK
07-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Dave if you want to meet up I'll be crossing key bridge around 5:25. We can meet at the Key Bridge Marriott parking lot, just let me know.

I am going to leave my office around 5:30 to meet Blacknell to drag him with me. Do you want to meet on the Custis at the end of the Ballston connector just east of George Mason Drive?

Dirt
08-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Should be a fun ride tonight. Pre-ride is going out toward Wolftrap. Main Event will be the usual Vuelta de Navy Federal loop. We'll get the beer after the ride that we missed last night. :D

DismalScientist
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
We'll get the beer after the ride that we missed last night. :D

Well, I didn't miss the post-ride beer at Lost Dog last night...

MRH5028
08-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Ride on for tonight? Going to be my first time joining.

Dirt
08-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Ride on for tonight? Going to be my first time joining.
Yup. Pre-ride wheels rolling at 4:30pm. Main event rolling at 6:30pm. Probably be a small group tonight.

acc
08-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Yup. Pre-ride wheels rolling at 4:30pm. Main event rolling at 6:30pm. Probably be a small group tonight.

Thanks Dirt! That was fun. I can't feel my legs, but that's okay, right? :D

Dirt
08-09-2013, 07:41 AM
You were a champ last night, Ann! The enthusiasm in your voice when I suggested another lap showed through! You absolutely kicked butt the third time up the hill! Nicely done!

Very nice to meet MRH last night! Thanks for joining us. It was fun riding with you.

MRH5028
08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Was a good ride, that loop is great for training. I will certainly be joining again.

acc
08-09-2013, 09:52 AM
You were a champ last night, Ann! The enthusiasm in your voice when I suggested another lap showed through! You absolutely kicked butt the third time up the hill! Nicely done!

Very nice to meet MRH last night! Thanks for joining us. It was fun riding with you.

Oh. That explains it. You were suggesting another lap--- my bad....

Dirt
08-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh. That explains it. You were suggesting another lap--- my bad....
If it is any consolation, I threw my back out this morning. :D

acc
08-09-2013, 01:15 PM
If it is any consolation, I threw my back out this morning. :D

Was it recyclables day?

(So, you're telling me only a metric century today?)

Dirt
08-15-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm starting something different for the Thursday Night rides. Thursday night is going to be more of a group ride. We'll go at a steady 14-16mph pace and just stay together as a group. These rides will go a few different places on a few different loops over the weeks. Doing the same loop two nights in a row is a bit of a yawner.

Tonight we're going to go do the tour of fairfax loop. It goes through Vienna and out around Wolftrap.

Pre-ride at 4:30.
Main Event at 6:30

Love,

Dirt

consularrider
08-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Are you going by the Green Turtle?

off2ride
08-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Same meeting place? FB Merrifield?

MRH5028
Nice idea. Would love to join, but I have a work HH. Maybe next week.

Dirt
Are you going by the Green Turtle?
This is the basic loop, though I've changed a little how we get through Vienna: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2551987

Dirt
08-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Thursday ride was AWESOME! The new format made for a fun ride and something truly different from Wednesday night. I don't know how much longer we'll be able to do the long loop... we were pushing awfully close to sundown tonight. We might be able to get one more week if we leave promptly at 6:30pm.

Thanks so much for those who rode tonight! It was a dang fun ride.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/9521593506_b7046e02d2_b.jpg

KLizotte
08-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Oh man, those drivers behind you look pissed!

Dirt
08-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Oh man, those drivers behind you look pissed!
Actually they're usually quite mellow on Cedar. We're only on Cedar for 1/4 mile. We occasionally encounter a clueless person on that stretch, but haven't had anyone get upset at us yet. We met a couple of people who needed a hug as we went past The Barns At Wolftrap though. I offered... no-one took me up on it.

dcv
08-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Lyds and Subby must be headbangers. Thanks Pete for another great ride, good to meet / ride with subby and off2ride.

Thursday ride was AWESOME! The new format made for a fun ride and something truly different from Wednesday night. I don't know how much longer we'll be able to do the long loop... we were pushing awfully close to sundown tonight. We might be able to get one more week if we leave promptly at 6:30pm.

Thanks so much for those who rode tonight! It was a dang fun ride.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/9521593506_b7046e02d2_b.jpg

off2ride
08-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Awesome ride yesterday. Thanks again Pete B. for the leading out the FB train. Awesome time riding along side everybody that showed up last night. See ya next week.

Lyds and Subby must be headbangers. Thanks Pete for another great ride, good to meet / ride with subby and off2ride.

Subby
08-16-2013, 09:36 AM
First ever group ride and it was ridiculously fun. Are they all that good?

Thanks Pete!

consularrider
08-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanks Pete!
At least the ones Pete leads are! :D

Dirt
08-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Thanks Pete!
Thanks! It was a blast riding with y'all.

The Wednesday rides are hard to lead. There's sooooooo muich diversity in pace that it is very difficult to manage from a ride leader's point of view. Someone's got to go with the fast group for at least the first lap. Lately that has been me. I always try to make sure that there are 4 or 5 other people in the group who know the route and can guide. If you get with one of those groups, then yes... the rides are that fun, though the course is a bit different. It is hard to figure out which group to go with from the gun. Sometimes people get stuck between groups. Wednesdays are not perfect yet. They're getting better. It helps when I have someone that can go with the fast group so that I can take the main pack. Dane, Vin, Liz, Rob, Ken, and many, many more are great at making the ride go well. That list grows every week. Y'all are integral to making it go well.

Love,

Dirt

Dirt
08-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Last week's ride was awesome! I made a new loop that we're going to explore tonight. If you're not going to Happy Hour, show up for a group ride at Mosaic tonight! It should be a fun ride!