PDA

View Full Version : Bullitt Bike Review

Tim Kelley
07-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I had the chance to borrow a Bullitt Bike for a couple weeks from Kaspers Cargos back in May. I'm finally getting around to writing my thoughts on my experiences with it:

The Basics:
Bullitt Superfly Cargo Bike
Aluminium frame
11 speed Alfine internal hub
Hydraulic disc brakes
20'' Front Wheel
26'' Rear Wheel
Weighs just over 50 lbs with out the additional plywood box
Dual footed kick stand
Manufacturer Website: http://www.larryvsharry.com/english/
Local Distributor Website: http://kasperscargos.com/
Price ~ $3500ish

Bullitt bikes all come with a standard size frame. They can be customized with various frame colors and drive train components. The stand set up is with a flat bed in the front, but the Kaspers Cargos, the local distributor provides plywood boxes.

Sizing:
Although the bikes are one size fits all, there is quite a bit of range with the quick adjust seat tube and quick adjust handlebars. I'm 6'6'' and probably could have used a seat post that was an inch or two longer. On the short side of things, with the seat all the way down, my guess is that someone with a height in the 5'2'' to 5'4'' who about hit the minimum range possible.

The Ride
Getting on the Bullitt for the first time can be quite the experience. With all the weight in the front end, balancing can be tricky at first. I found that getting one foot into pedal position and then pushing off once or twice with the other foot to get some momentum was the best way to get up and going. Once in motion, the bike was very "swoopy." With such a long wheel base and connection from the handlebars to the front wheel (by why of bar under the cargo bed) you'd have the odd feeling off turning the bars and there being a delay in response. It was kind of like driving a boat. Or a large truck in reverse.

The bike is surprisingly light for as large as it is and was incredibly smooth once it's rolling. The setup I was using had an 11 speed internal hub. The gearing range worked well for most situations I found myself in, but there were a few times when I was heavily loaded that I would have wanted a few extra gears to get up a hill or two. On the top end of the gearing range, I do remember drafting a guy on the WOD trail who tried to drop me on his touring bike but couldn't. This thing can move when given the proper motivation!

Family Biking
My two year old daughter LOVED riding in the cargo box. The first time we put her in she tried to stand up and "surf" but quickly got the hang of things and after we put down a blanket and she was sit and just watch everything. The standard box from Kasper's easily fits a normal car seat, so infant portaging is not a problem. The standard box doesn't come with any straps or restraints, but my two year old was good about sitting and I never felt like she was in danger of falling out. With a infant car seat, it would be easy enough to run bungee cords around the box if one was so inclined. My daughter enjoyed riding facing both frontwards and backwards.

Cargo Use
I used the Bullitt to take my daughter to daycare most days, went grocery shopping with it, and even used it to schlep some stuff around on Bike to Work Day. There was enough room for about 5 grocery bags and my daughter at the same time. Without having to make room for a little person, you could definitely cram quite a bit of stuff on it. The Larry Vs Harry Facebook feed has tons of fun photos of what people have been able to strap on: https://www.facebook.com/LarryVsHarryCargobikes/photos_stream With too much stuff on it though you can't see the front wheel, which can be very disconcerting at first but seems to be fine after a couple rides.

Final Thoughts
Riding the Bullitt was a lot of fun. I got smiles and waves from many people who I passed and having my daughter in the cargo box was the ultimate accessory. In it's current set up it's perfect for one kid or a lot of cargo. Two kids at once would be fine too once they get to the point of being able to walk on their own. There is, however, no room for both a car seat and another child at the same time. For someone with kids at that age, you'd need a larger box. It's also perfect to take adults around on short spins!

Any questions? Feel free to chime in!

Tim Kelley
07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
More Photos:

jopamora
07-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Did Kasper drop it off and pick it up? How did you lock it up while out and about?

Tim Kelley
07-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Did Kasper drop it off and pick it up? How did you lock it up while out and about?

Yes, they have a pickup truck for deliveries.

Using a regular u-lock seemed to be fine for locking up:

rcannon100
07-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Yes, Mr. Tim? I have a question. How come this post isnt in the COVET thread :rolleyes:

@BikesToBorrow
08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to inform the forum that Bikes to Borrow has them for rent.
bikestoborrow.com

mello yello
08-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Just wanted to inform the forum that Bikes to Borrow has them for rent.
bikestoborrow.com

Cool. I saw the bikestoborrow.com Nissan Leaf with bikes on top, yesterday evening on M. St. What is the connection with the Bike Rack? (prominent / distinctive logo placement)