PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for (LT) Bike Route Development

dasgeh
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
I thought this thread could be a place to collect and discuss new trails and bike route developments we'd like to see happen (eventually -- recognizing it may take a while to make these happen).

In my continuing quest to figure out less steep ways around Arlington (and honestly, shorten my commute), I had an idea for a new trail:

Could we make a "Spout Run Trail" 2-way protected cycletrack that did this (http://goo.gl/maps/9OEOw)-- going from the ramp to the GW Pkwy NB in Rosslyn to the Lyon Village Shops, using Spout Run Pkwy? I think there's room along the ramp and the 3rd lane of the GW Pkwy (which only goes to Spout Run). Once you get on to Spout Run, it might be a little tight, and the crossing of the U-Turn (marked "to DC") would be difficult (maybe some infrastructure changes -- or just get rid of it). I think you could use the light at Lorcom to get the cyclists from the left side of the roadway over to the right side (heading towards Clarendon).

Thoughts?

Mikey
06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
My dream Rail-with-trail would be a path from the Manassas National Battlefield, through Mannassas city and along the CSX (historic Orange and Alexandria) rail right of way through Manassas park, Clifton, Burke, Springfield, to Olde Town alexandria. Call it the O&A trail. Imagine a direct off-road route to Clifton? Imagine riding out from Alexanria to the Port City Brewery on a protected rail trail? Imagine the commuter benefits of a direct path from Burke and Springfield to Alexandria. Connections to Holmes Run, MVT, Wakefield/Accotink trail network, and maybe even an extension from the battlefield north toward Sterling and Ashburn and the W&OD. Talk about a nice bike beltway.

This would be my dream.

cephas
06-26-2013, 10:13 AM
My dream Rail-with-trail would be a path from the Manassas National Battlefield, through Mannassas city and along the CSX (historic Orange and Alexandria) rail right of way through Manassas park, Clifton, Burke, Springfield, to Olde Town alexandria. Call it the O&A trail. Imagine a direct off-road route to Clifton? Imagine riding out from Alexanria to the Port City Brewery on a protected rail trail? Imagine the commuter benefits of a direct path from Burke and Springfield to Alexandria. Connections to Holmes Run, MVT, Wakefield/Accotink trail network, and maybe even an extension from the battlefield north toward Sterling and Ashburn and the W&OD. Talk about a nice bike beltway.

This would be my dream.

LOVE it! Especially the brewery mention! Good luck getting it by M-sas/PWC though. They don't seem very bike friendly in those parts.