PDA

View Full Version : Draft map - 2013 Alexandria CaBi expansion

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2013, 12:32 PM
http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/localmotion/info/programs/20130603DraftExpansionMapWebsite.pdf

Five proposed stations in Del Ray/Slaters Lane and three in the Carlyle area. Five other stations to be added by others (developers, associations?) at an unspecified time.

Many people had asked for stations in Del Ray and at Slaters Lane, on the crowdsourcing map and through other channels. Too bad there won't be a station somewhere in Potomac Yard, near the movie theater and shopping center. The Potomac Ave. bike path runs between the stores and the movie theater. Long-term plans call for the shopping center area to be redeveloped, but that won't happen for quite a while. A station could be installed there temporarily, for a few years and then moved if and when construction starts on the north end of Potomac Yard.

The Monroe Ave. and Slaters Lane stations will serve as good intermediate points for trips between Del Ray and Old Town, and between Crystal City and Old Town.

I'm looking forward to the Alexandria CaBi expansion (as well as the completion of the Arlington and D.C. 2013 expansions).

EDIT: The map may have been superseded by other maps of proposed locations. See the later posts in this thread.

Arlingtonrider
06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
This is great but I'm incredibly disappointed that they didn't include a station near the Target at Potomac Yards. It would have been an ideal ride from the Shirlington station for errands. I think having a station at Potomac Yards is a major key to getting good usage of the South Arlington stations, and probably would result in much greater use of the Crystal City stations as well.

bobco85
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
This is great but I'm incredibly disappointed that they didn't include a station near the Target at Potomac Yards. It would have been an ideal ride from the Shirlington station for errands. I think having a station at Potomac Yards is a major key to getting good usage of the South Arlington stations, and probably would result in much greater use of the Crystal City stations as well.

I agree, especially with the Four Mile Run trail so close. Look at CaBi's station map, the closest station is at South Glebe Rd and Potomac Ave. I think ideal places would be at the movie theater and in front of the Target. I'm sure that in 2014 stations will be there.

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I wonder if there is opposition from the landowner, for some reason. The CaBi crowdsourcing map has multiple proposed stations and Yes votes for those locations, so it's clear that people want a CaBi station or two in Potomac Yard.

Or maybe they want to hold off because of the construction work in the area, even though that is taking place a few blocks to the south of the shopping center.

Arlingtonrider
06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
It would be great if someone could tell us the reasoning - maybe one of the Alexandria BPAC folks?

I agree on the sites mentioned - one by the movie theater, as well as by Target, would be fantastic.

I'm certain they would be good for business there too!

dasgeh
06-11-2013, 04:00 PM
You'd think the businesses there would want CaBi, since it would be a nice and easy ride from the Crystal City Metro.

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
UPDATE: FAST Potomac Yard only covers the Arlington portion of Potomac Yard. They do not operate on the Alexandria part of Potomac Yard (the shopping center and the new office, hotel and residential developments to the south of Target).

I have to correct my previous post. I forgot about FAST Potomac Yard. From their website:

"With Full Access Solutions in Transportation (FAST) for Potomac Yard, employees, visitors and residents of this area can ease their travel hassles and improve the way they get around.

As a non-profit group led by the area’s land developers, we’re working to reduce single-occupant vehicle trips to Potomac Yard while improving the efficiency of the area’s transportation infrastructure. And we’re doing it through a program of smart plans, great incentives and unique services that help you make the best transportation decisions. There’s no better way to get to Potomac Yard."

http://www.fastpotomacyard.com/aboutus.html

They encourage biking and carpooling. They have even co-sponsored both of the CaBi stations in the Arlington part of Potomac Yard.

http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/stations

I thought that FAST Potomac Yard would co-sponsor additional bike stations in the shopping center area, but it hasn't happened, for some reason. (I just sent them an email asking about any possible bike stations there.)

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2013, 05:17 PM
In other somewhat-related news, it seems that the long vacant buildings of National Gateway, on the Arlington side of Potomac Yard, could be switching from (empty) office zoning to an institution of higher education. The buildings were finished a few years ago but there have never been any tenants except for LA Fitness on the lower two levels. All of the other spaces and floors are empty. They haven't even used those spaces for temporary events, the way that Crystal City uses its empty buildings for special events like Artomatic, post-5K parties, the Crystal City fashion week and the charity sales event.

But now there is a sign on the building indicating that the owners want to change the zoning from Office/Commercial to educational. Apparently there was a public hearing at the County planning commission about this a couple months ago. (I don't know if anyone attended. Probably not, because most people have forgotten that the buildings even exist, LA Fitness members excepted.)

Here's the notice:

SITE PLAN AMENDMENTS:

SP# 346 W/2005 Potomac Yard E-West LLC to allow approximately 187,000 sq. ft. of office GFA for use as a school of higher instruction in the “C-O-1.5” zoning district under ACZO §23A and §36 H. Property is approximately 58,935 sq. ft.; located at 3500 and 3550 S. Clark St.; and is identified as RPC# 34-027-046. The approved density is 1.5 FAR Office/Commercial. Applicable Policies: GLUP “Medium Residential” and “Low Office-Apartment-Hotel”

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/CountyBoard/notices/CountyBoardNoticesPublicLegalNotices.aspx

I didn't know about this until a couple days ago, when I happened to be looking at the empty building, wondering if anything would ever be done with it. That's when I saw the red notice on the door. Out of curiosity, I looked up the online hearing notice. But I can't find any other info about this. Which "school of higher instruction"? An established university? Perhaps UVA or Va. Tech are expanding? Or a for-profit school? Or a different type of school, such as a cooking school?

I think it would be great for that area to have a solid tenant moving into the empty buildings. It just doesn't look good to have those new buildings sitting empty like that. It's not good for the County either. The school could spur development in the neighborhood. Harris Teeter is reopening its store in the Eclipse this fall. But other retail spaces are empty, and construction on the other sites in the Arlington part of Potomac Yard has stalled, likely because of the failure to draw any tenants to National Gateway.

Along with a possible school, the Crystal City-Potomac Yard transitway is supposed to get underway next year (with bus rapid transit). Maybe all of this activity can make it more attractive to add bike stations in the Alexandria part of Potomac Yard. Some of the new buildings and townhouses are a long walk from Braddock Rd. Metro, the shopping center and Crystal City. Bike stations there and at the shopping center could remove the need to take short trips by car. (The transitway could help too.)

NOTE: The zoning request indicates that 187,000 sq. ft. of space could be used for the school. The existing National Gateway only includes 58,935 sq. ft. This could mean that if a school were to move in, that they would use not only National Gateway but two other buildings. Those buildings have already been included in master plans for the area, but the sites are currently undeveloped. So the school would have a major presence in Potomac Yard. Now this really has me curious. What school could it be?

Arlingtonrider
06-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for providing a link to the FAST website. I submitted a comment to them requesting CaBi stations at the Potomac Yard Target and Regal Cinema. It was very easy to do (in case anyone else would like to submit one).

dasgeh
06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks for providing a link to the FAST website. I submitted a comment to them requesting CaBi stations at the Potomac Yard Target and Regal Cinema. It was very easy to do (in case anyone else would like to submit one).

Me too!

Re: a school on this land, I wonder if Arlington could entice GM Law to move there, and use the current GM Law space for a new ES and MS in a convenient part of the county...

DismalScientist
06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
use the current GM Law space for a new ES and MS in a convenient part of the county...

Bringing school boundary issues into this forum is clearly worse than even bringing up regular politics, religion or sex.:p

ShawnoftheDread
06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Bringing school boundary issues into this forum is clearly worse than even bringing up regular politics, religion or sex.:p

I thought the latter was the entire reason for this forum. Oh wait, wrong browser window.

PotomacCyclist
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I received a reply from FAST Potomac Yard. They only manage the areas on the Arlington side of Potomac Yard, where the two existing CaBi stations are located. They do not cover the shopping center or the new developments to the south of Target.

The Potomac Yard Center (the official name of the shopping center) is managed by McCaffery Interests. I believe this is the correct contact info this time:

http://www.mypotomacyard.com/contact.htm

I just sent an email to them, asking about any CaBi plans and noting the popularity and benefits of Capital Bikeshare, for both the Center and for CaBi members.

PotomacCyclist
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM
The GM Clarendon campus has expanded since they first opened up (I think). Seems unlikely that they would spend a lot of money to move elsewhere in the County, especially since any Potomac Yard Metro station won't be ready for a few years, if ever.

PotomacCyclist
06-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Mystery solved re the possible school in Potomac Yard. I wrote to ARLnow about it and they did some digging.

InfiLaw System, a Florida-based consortium of independent law schools, was planning to open a new law school at National Gateway. Though the site plan amendment was approved to allow for educational use, InfiLaw System has decided not to follow through on their plans for the school. It's kind of odd. The amendment was approved this spring and then the consortium almost immediately changed their minds about the project. It's not as though the economy or the legal market changed that suddenly in a matter of weeks.

If they had gone through with the project, the school would have had as many as 1,300 students, with 22 classrooms, a law library, a bookstore, a moot courtroom and a cafe. No word on how many of those students would have been able to find legal jobs after graduating from the school.

In any case, the search for tenants at National Gateway continues on. Perhaps when flying cars and bikes become the primary form of transportation in the year 2046, the Dept. of Transportation will need new office space to house regulators overseeing the aircar and airbike industries. Then they might move into the still-empty National Gateway.

http://www.arlnow.com/2013/06/14/plans-for-arlington-law-school-fall-through/

Overtone
08-23-2013, 08:12 AM
I asked Gabriel yesterday what's the current status, here's his reply.

Hi John,

Thanks for the interest … trust me, you are not the only one waiting for the expansion of CaBi! Right now, the best estimate we can give is this winter, but that is always changing. I would try us back in about two weeks … also make sure to check our website and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/LocalMotionAlexandriaVA page for updates.

THANKS

Gabriel D. Ortiz
Transportation Demand Management Coordinator
City of Alexandria
Transportation Planning Division
421 King Street, room 300
Alexandria, VA 22314
www.alexandriava.gov/LocalMotion
703-746-4083

PotomacCyclist
08-23-2013, 01:16 PM
The D.C. and Arlington CaBi expansions still haven't been finished, and those were initially supposed to be wrapped up in 2012, I think. Then it became spring, and summer and soon fall. I'm not complaining about it. I understand that these things happen, and they have managed to add many of the new stations already.

Montgomery County is still claiming that their initial roll-out is still on track for September. But it's hard to see how they will meet that schedule, if the stations, bikes and moving equipment aren't available for all of the D.C. and Arlington expansion locations.

Probably best to add 3-6 or 6-12 months to any CaBi expansion timelines, to minimize dashed expectations.

creadinger
08-25-2013, 03:07 PM
http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/localmotion/info/programs/2013060DraftExpansionMapWebsite.pdf

Five proposed stations in Del Ray/Slaters Lane and three in the Carlyle area. Five other stations to be added by others (developers, associations?) at an unspecified time.

Many people had asked for stations in Del Ray and at Slaters Lane, on the crowdsourcing map and through other channels.

The Monroe Ave. and Slaters Lane stations will serve as good intermediate points for trips between Del Ray and Old Town, and between Crystal City and Old Town.

I'm looking forward to the Alexandria CaBi expansion (as well as the completion of the Arlington and D.C. 2013 expansions).

The PDF you linked too is now gone. Where were the Del Ray stations going to be located? Nearby stations could be great for my wife to bike to or Crystal City or Braddock Metro and back instead of taking the bus.

PotomacCyclist
08-25-2013, 04:48 PM
I've seen a few different maps. The plans keep changing. The latest I heard was that Alexandria would focus on Del Ray and Carlyle for this expansion round. This map was updated on July 1 and indicates the proposed locations in those two neighborhoods:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=209109927891733107407.0004e0731b7cabe82e5d6

The master CaBi expansion map shows those locations plus the Slaters Lane station in green. The green markers show locations for the current round of expansion (2012 to Winter 2013-2014). The blue locations are proposed for later rounds. (The blue locations plus many others could be added if new sources of funding are obtained, whether through gov't programs or advertising arrangements. Could happen. Or not.)

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/embedviz?viz=MAP&q=select+col4+from+1e106RvSSB_V0LAm-UJ29J2V-dg8kb8TSOj0ApKM&h=false&lat=38.880159386248486&lng=-76.89843893051147&z=11&t=1&l=col4&y=1&tmplt=1

[You can find the older map here, but it was posted in June. It seems to be outdated already:

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/localmotion/info/programs/20130603DRAFTExpansionMapWebsite.pdf]

FYI - I never heard back from the Potomac Yard shopping center owners about adding bike stations there.

creadinger
08-26-2013, 08:20 AM
I've seen a few different maps. The plans keep changing. The latest I heard was that Alexandria would focus on Del Ray and Carlyle for this expansion round. This map was updated on July 1 and indicates the proposed locations in those two neighborhoods:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=209109927891733107407.0004e0731b7cabe82e5d6

The master CaBi expansion map shows those locations plus the Slaters Lane station in green. The green markers show locations for the current round of expansion (2012 to Winter 2013-2014). The blue locations are proposed for later rounds. (The blue locations plus many others could be added if new sources of funding are obtained, whether through gov't programs or advertising arrangements. Could happen. Or not.)

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/embedviz?viz=MAP&q=select+col4+from+1e106RvSSB_V0LAm-UJ29J2V-dg8kb8TSOj0ApKM&h=false&lat=38.880159386248486&lng=-76.89843893051147&z=11&t=1&l=col4&y=1&tmplt=1

[You can find the older map here, but it was posted in June. It seems to be outdated already:

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/localmotion/info/programs/20130603DRAFTExpansionMapWebsite.pdf]

FYI - I never heard back from the Potomac Yard shopping center owners about adding bike stations there.

Awesome thanks! Mt. Vernon and Commonwealth would be perfect for us. It makes a lot of sense too because it's a pretty major intersection for Del Ray and there's park land there where it could easily go.

PotomacCyclist
08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
There will also be a new bike/ped path from Potomac Ave. to Braddock Road. It will connect the southern end of the upcoming Potomac Yard Park with Braddock Rd., along the railroad tracks. Part of it is already paved. (Don't ask me how I know this...) It's scheduled to be finished by the end of the year.

Kolohe
11-21-2013, 07:54 PM
From the DelRay Patch today (h/t froggie)

Four Capital Bikeshare stations will be installed in Alexandria’s Del Ray neighborhood this winter and the locations will not require the removal of any street parking.

2213 Mount Vernon Ave. — This station will be installed in the loading zone in front of Bean Creative across the street from Del Ray Pizzeria. “It’s in the heart of Del Ray,” Sanders said. “We’re excited about that.”
501 E. Monroe Ave. — This station will be installed on the north side of the intersection of E. Monroe and Leslie Avenues, across the street from Swing’s Coffee and adjacent to Simpson Stadium Park. E. Monroe Avenue is slated for bike facilities improvements, including the installation of bike lanes with no net loss of parking.
1504 Mount Vernon Ave. — This station, which will be a little smaller than the others that will be installed in Del Ray, will be installed on the sidewalk in front of Al’s Steak House.
Intersection of Commonwealth and Mount Vernon avenues — The exact siting is to be determined, Sanders said, as to accommodate the solar-powered station.
The city will install a smaller station in the no-parking area on Potomac Greens Drive near Buzz Bakery, Sanders said. The exact locations of three Carlyle stations are to be determined.

http://delray.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/alexandria-to-double-its-capital-bikeshare-station-network-this-winter

cyclingfool
11-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I might be able to see the station in front of Al's Steak House w/o even leaving my apartment! Who needs Spotcycle?! ;-)

Once it's in, it'll be time to finally consider an annual membership.

cephas
12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Mystery solved re the possible school in Potomac Yard. I wrote to ARLnow about it and they did some digging.

InfiLaw System, a Florida-based consortium of independent law schools, was planning to open a new law school at National Gateway. Though the site plan amendment was approved to allow for educational use, InfiLaw System has decided not to follow through on their plans for the school. It's kind of odd. The amendment was approved this spring and then the consortium almost immediately changed their minds about the project. It's not as though the economy or the legal market changed that suddenly in a matter of weeks.
http://www.arlnow.com/2013/06/14/plans-for-arlington-law-school-fall-through/

Actually, it was right about that time that there was (continual) uproar about law school's being a waste of money, with finger pointing at law school admins as a get rich quick scheme, and as exhibit A the tons of under- and unemployed law grads. Don't ask how I know, but as an underemployed lawyer, I may have time to read too much...

There will also be a new bike/ped path from Potomac Ave. to Braddock Road. It will connect the southern end of the upcoming Potomac Yard Park with Braddock Rd., along the railroad tracks. Part of it is already paved. (Don't ask me how I know this...)

I'm sure you saw it from the VRE train, just like I did.

PotomacCyclist
01-29-2014, 02:17 AM
The legal industry took a serious downturn in the 2007-2008 recession, changing it permanently. It's still odd that the InfiLaw group thought a new large law school in a competitive market was a good idea last year.

According to this post, Alexandria could add 14 more stations next year. That's in addition to the 8 existing stations and the 8 new stations this winter/spring (Del Ray, Slaters Lane, Carlyle).

http://alextimes.com/2014/01/capital-bikeshare-is-on-the-road-to-success/

Is this accurate? If so, where will the stations be installed? Maybe north and south of Old Town and/or additional coverage of Del Ray and Carlyle. Or finally some locations in Potomac Yard? I've never seen any proposed locations in Potomac Yard, other than those added by members on the CaBi crowdsourcing map.

Kolohe
01-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I presume Mr. Krall knows further details; he's a member of this forum, is he not?

edit: but he should know that we (in Alexandria or any other participating jurisdiction) can't do sponsorship because Arlington prohibits it. (pdf:page 6-4) (http://www.bikearlington.com/tasks/sites/bike/assets/File/TDP6-Operating_Plan.pdf)

PotomacCyclist
07-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Alexandria posted an update about their Capital Bikeshare expansion in today's e-newsletter:

Expansion in Alexandria

New Capital Bikeshare stations will be added in the Del Ray and Carlyle areas in the summer of 2014. Station locations were selected from locations suggested by the public, and preferences shown on the interactive crowdsourcing map. Staff attended over 5 community meetings to gain input from residents on the expansion map.

http://www.alexandriava.gov/localmotion/info/default.aspx?id=55082

PotomacCyclist
08-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Over a year later and still no stations in Del Ray, although the stations are supposedly on their way soon.

In other thread news, I read an interesting article about InfiLaw in The Atlantic. (I thought The Atlantic had changed to CityLab, but it seems that The Atlantic is still around as an independent publication, online and maybe still in paper form.)

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/08/the-law-school-scam/375069/

InfiLaw is described as a private-equity-financed scam, one that feeds off the trough of unlimited federal loans, reaps profits and churns out unemployable graduates. In case you haven't read through this thread, InfiLaw was planning on opening a new law school in the mostly empty National Gateway building in the Arlington part of Potomac Yard, on S. Glebe Rd. I had spotted the red notice on the front of the building, which indicated a proposal to change the zoning of the building from office to educational. Soon after the proposal, InfiLaw backed out of the plan, with no explanation.

The Atlantic article provides more details. In the summer of 2013, InfiLaw was facing a severe decline in applications to its three existing law schools (all of which are described as marginal). Applications had fallen by 37 percent between 2010 and 2013. Florida Coastal saw the number of applications drop by more than half. They fired 20 percent of their almost overnight. Already low admission standards dropped even further.

[While InfiLaw may be among the worst of the for-profit schools, they are only the worst example of the problem with student loans and student debt in the U.S. But that's a bigger issue for a different forum. There are other issues like law school education/loans/debt in general, except at a small number of top schools. Also a matter for another forum.)

This is about the same time that InfiLaw dropped its plans to open the new law school at National Gateway.

So now you know. Law school education is in a time of upheaval nationwide. InfiLaw has even more problems than law schools in general.

As for National Gateway, the building remains empty, except for the LA Fitness gym on the lower levels. The building owners began promoting the building more aggressively over the past year, with large signs and banners on the side facing Rte. 1. They trumpet a shuttle service to the nearby Metro station (probably Crystal City). Still no takers.

Meanwhile, construction has started on the Metroway bus rapid transit route, which runs directly in front of National Gateway. The Alexandria section appears to be complete. The BRT service begins next weekend, even though Arlington has just started construction on the exclusive bus-only lanes. The buses will use regular traffic lanes in the Arlington part of the route for now.

We'll see if the Del Ray CaBi stations are installed this summer, as promised. Both Arlington and DC have added a few new bike stations this summer, despite media reports that the Bixi bankruptcy would halt all bikeshare expansion.

lordofthemark
08-19-2014, 03:50 PM
since there are now 3 stations in Fairlington and two in Shirlington, does it make sense to begin thinking about stations in NW Alexandria? IE Park Center, Bradlee, Park Fairfax, etc?

PotomacCyclist
08-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Hmm. It's odd. I posted on the thread a few days ago. Then Alexandria adds 3 new stations in the Carlyle area yesterday, and finally 3 stations in Del Ray today!

The Mt. Vernon Ave./Kennedy St. station is also within walking distance of the Birchmere (about 4 or 5 blocks).

As for NW Alexandria, I don't think that's on the radar yet. I've never seen any proposed stations in that part of Alexandria, at least not for the medium term. They want to fill in the coverage area in Old Town, Del Ray and Carlyle. I would think that Potomac Yard would be another key area, but maybe not until more of the new development is finished. Eventually there could be very large demand for bikeshare in Potomac Yard with all of the new residents, some office buildings, new retail and existing retail and the movie theater at the shopping center.

Sunyata
08-20-2014, 07:04 AM
I would LOVE to see some bike share stations in Park Fairfax, especially near the 395 pedestrian bridge. In case anyone that matters reads... :)

PotomacCyclist
08-20-2014, 07:24 AM
If you haven't done so already, you can post suggested locations on the CaBi crowdsourcing map. The link is located on the map page on their website. Once you're on the page, click on specific locations where you'd like new stations, or vote up or down on previously suggested station locations.

There's no guarantee that your suggestion will lead to new stations there, but it's an easy way to make suggestions. If there's enough demand for particular locations, many people will vote for those locations. This can influence decisions on the location of future stations.

PotomacCyclist
08-20-2014, 09:40 PM
New stations on Monroe Ave. and Slaters Lane today.

Overtone
08-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I heard but didn't see it myself that the one in central Del Ray (near the farmer's market) also appeared. Yay!

cyclingfool
08-22-2014, 12:29 PM
You're right. There is one just up the street from Velocity. :D

Terpfan
08-22-2014, 02:49 PM
New stations on Monroe Ave. and Slaters Lane today.

Where did they put it on Slaters? I was at Buzz the other morning and didn't notice anything. Although I really don't ride through there more and it's more of a driving destination.

KWL
08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Where did they put it on Slaters? I was at Buzz the other morning and didn't notice anything. Although I really don't ride through there more and it's more of a driving destination.Right here. It must not have been installed yet when you were there. It would be hard to miss.

PotomacCyclist
08-23-2014, 06:47 PM
In all, eight new stations this week in Alexandria. Five of them in the Del Ray/Slaters Lane area, three in Carlyle.

A while back, I read that Alexandria plans to continue with their expansion of CaBi in the future. I don't remember where the focus of any new stations would be. But I'd expect them to be relatively close to the existing network, in Del Ray, Old Town and/or Carlyle. Or maybe we could see a couple stations in Potomac Yard in the near future? Maybe?

lordofthemark
08-24-2014, 05:39 PM
If you haven't done so already, you can post suggested locations on the CaBi crowdsourcing map. The link is located on the map page on their website. Once you're on the page, click on specific locations where you'd like new stations, or vote up or down on previously suggested station locations.

There's no guarantee that your suggestion will lead to new stations there, but it's an easy way to make suggestions. If there's enough demand for particular locations, many people will vote for those locations. This can influence decisions on the location of future stations.

Done

Asked for a station at Park Center (on the big plaza near the pita shop) at NVCC, at Bradlee, at Park Fairfax, and at Chinquapin/TCWilliamsHS.

Terpfan
08-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Right here. It must not have been installed yet when you were there. It would be hard to miss.

Oh yah, I would not have missed that spot. It's where everyone illegally double parks to run in to get coffee. Ha, folks will have to actually park now.

It makes logical sense to put one there. Particularly if there is one at Braddock Rd Metro (I don't know as I haven't actually gone to the stop in a while now). A lot of folks take the bus from a little further down Slaters and I could see them Cabi-ing instead. Plus, also makes it convenient for those living across OT to get over there.

KWL
08-26-2014, 05:53 PM
This is what it looked like BC (before CaBi).

PotomacCyclist
08-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Oh yah, I would not have missed that spot. It's where everyone illegally double parks to run in to get coffee. Ha, folks will have to actually park now.

It makes logical sense to put one there. Particularly if there is one at Braddock Rd Metro (I don't know as I haven't actually gone to the stop in a while now). A lot of folks take the bus from a little further down Slaters and I could see them Cabi-ing instead. Plus, also makes it convenient for those living across OT to get over there.

There is an existing station at the Braddock Rd. Metro. It's just to the north of the Metro station.

peterw_diy
08-26-2014, 11:07 PM
There is an existing station at the Braddock Rd. Metro. It's just to the north of the Metro station.
Yea, OK, WTF is it with CaBi having no stations on WMATA property? The Braddock and King placements are especially bad, effectively invisible to 75% of the stations' foot traffic.

PotomacCyclist
08-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Take a deep breath. The King St. station is poorly placed, but better signage could improve the situation. I think such signs have been installed in some locations in the CaBi network area, but more need to be added.

peterw_diy
08-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Take a deep breath. The King St. station is poorly placed, but better signage could improve the situation.

So could moving the station. Why aren't any CaBi stations on WMATA property? Does anybody here know? I mean, half of the WMATA jurisdictions are CaBi partners.

Kolohe
08-28-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm going to defend the placement of the Cabi station (and not just because I live in one of the Braddock place developments). It's far easier to get in and out of that station on a bike at that location than it would be at most other places around that misbegotten road junction and metro property fortress.

The king st station otoh, is indeed a bit of a pain due to its location on diagonal road up against a office park staircase and a rough entrance and exit (on diagonal) on both the Duke st and King st sides.

PotomacCyclist
04-02-2015, 09:59 AM
In Potomac Yard-Arlington news, it looks like the empty National Gateway buildings (empty except for the LA Fitness gym on the bottom floors) will finally get its first tenant. The law school plans that I posted about earlier in the thread fell through. Now Germany-based discount grocer Lidl seems to be moving in. Their real estate affiliate signed a deal for a majority of the space in National Gateway I. Other than the LA Fitness gym, the entire two-building complex has been empty ever since it opened in 2010.

While this doesn't have a direct effect on cycling, it will have a positive effect on County tax revenue. I also wonder if the new Metroway bus rapid transit line helped to pull in Lidl. That block is kind of far from the Crystal City Metro station. Far enough that most people wouldn't walk from the Metro on a regular basis. There was an old Metrobus line near that area. I never took that route because it was always such a hassle to figure out exactly where it went and what the operating hours and schedule were. (There's also the fact that it's pretty easy to bike over there, but not everyone bikes.)

The new Metroway line runs more frequently with longer operating hours. It's not as important to know the exact schedule. In recent months, I've seen the blue Metroway buses very frequently throughout the area. I took the bus a couple times myself. Metroway runs between the Crystal City Metro station, Crystal City, Potomac Yard-Arlington, Potomac Yard-Alexandria, Rte. 1 and the Braddock Road Metro station. (The line will expand to the Pentagon City Metro station by this summer.)

Maybe Lidl saw that there would be a convenient transit system right next to the building and that helped them to go for the deal.

I think it's good for the County to fill up all that empty office space, especially since those are the first office buildings people see when they drive into Arlington on Rte. 1. Metroway and the new office deal have some interest for cyclists in that it can be another example of how Arlington can continue to grow and prosper without relying on single-occupant car driving. While many of the employees will probably still drive to the new office, many may choose to rely on Metro and the Metroway bus line. Capital Bikeshare is an option too. There are two bike stations within a block of National Gateway. I believe they usually empty out on weekday mornings and fill up on weekday evenings, because nearby residents use the bikes to travel to the Crystal City Metro station. Lidl employees would follow a reverse pattern. This would help with rebalancing of the Potomac Yard-Arlington bike stations. That in itself could provide a benefit to CaBi users in the nearby residential buildings.

There will be more demand for restaurant options in that immediate area. Some of the restaurants near National Gateway have struggled to survive with the lack of a customer base of nearby office workers. Melody Tavern, the Asian (pricey) buffet and the Subway all closed. New restaurants/bars might open up once Lidl occupies the building. (The Melody Tavern space is now a daycare center, I believe. But the other spaces are still empty.)

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2015/04/international-discount-grocer-lidl-to-establish.html?page=all

PotomacCyclist
04-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Alexandria might cut back its bike budget this year, which would delay any expansion of the bikeshare system in the city. But if they reject those funding cuts, then there could be as many as 16 new bike stations in Alexandria. If not this year, then whenever they get around to restoring bike funding.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/26525/alexandria-has-identified-locations-for-its-next-16-bikeshare-stations/

chris_s
04-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Bike to the Birchmere! I needs it!

lordofthemark
05-08-2015, 08:01 AM
CaBi funding restored.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/no-tax-rate-increase-but-more-spending-in-alexandria-budget/2015/05/07/23658b1e-f4f2-11e4-b2f3-af5479e6bbdd_story.html

Council members agreed to put $1.85 million into the transportation-improvement program in its capital budget to operate 16 new bike-sharing stations, buy another local bus and set aside money for future projects.

lordofthemark
07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Alexandria is moving forward on this. The first new ones will be the developer funded ones, which will be in Old Town and at the Eisenhower Ave metro, and if I remember rightly what I heard at BPAC, will be installed this fall. The remainder use VDOT funding, and there is more paperwork that needs to be done, and will be going in shortly after that.

PotomacCyclist
02-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Two new bike stations in Alexandria today!

Madison St & N Henry St (two blocks east of the Braddock Rd Metro station)
St. Asaph St & Madison St, next to the Harris Teeter

The St. Asaph station moves the CaBi network closer to Old Town North. There are office buildings, apartment buildings, waterfront parks and the Mt Vernon Trail in that area. The new station is four blocks away from Oronoco Bay Park.

https://www.facebook.com/CapitalBikeshare

chris_s
02-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Two new bike stations in Alexandria today!

Madison St & N Henry St (two blocks east of the Braddock Rd Metro station)
St. Asaph St & Madison St, next to the Harris Teeter

The St. Asaph station moves the CaBi network closer to Old Town North. There are office buildings, apartment buildings, waterfront parks and the Mt Vernon Trail in that area. The new station is four blocks away from Oronoco Bay Park.

https://www.facebook.com/CapitalBikeshare

There goes my waist line. Sugar Shack Donuts has a bikeshare station.

PotomacCyclist
02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Well, you do have a straight line from Sugar Shack to the MVT. Time for some out-and-backs to Mount Vernon. One trip for every donut.

PotomacCyclist
02-17-2016, 02:42 PM
New bike station at the north end of the King St. Metro station today:

https://www.facebook.com/CapitalBikeshare/photos/a.138245472875449.17856.134700293229967/1158522324181087/?type=3&theater