PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Fondo anyone???

Jason B
06-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Anyone else doing the upcoming Garrett? I was foolish enough to sign up for the beast and have been regretting it ever since. It looks scary as heck. I was thinking of pulling one my teeth and replacing it with a spy cyanide capsule tooth so I could simply bit hard on mile 85 for that 15% grade. Anyone else ever done the Diabolical before and have a better suggestion?

hozn
06-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Wow, that does look epic. I would love to do this ride next year if I can make it happen (new baby may limit any out-of-town rides). I love hills for how honest they keep me. This year, I will be on vacation that weekend -- either just relaxing or riding the rollers of Lancaster County before breakfast or while the wife and son nap. So, not /quite/ the same level of effort ...

JimF22003
06-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Every time I feel guilty for never having done this ride, I heave a sigh of relief that it conflicts with Bike Virginia.

I'm sure I would do really well if I ever had a "chance" to try it... :)

txgoonie
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm not smart. I'm doing it.

Tim Kelley
06-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Me and a few FeXY guys are going to drag Blacknell around.

culimerc
06-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Its the weekend before the Total 200, so I'm going to have to wait for another year. It does look like a sufferefest (and I mean that in the best kind of way).

Tim Kelley
06-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Its the weekend before the Total 200, so I'm going to have to wait for another year. It does look like a sufferefest (and I mean that in the best kind of way).

Two weekends, actually. How much recovery time do you need??

Vicegrip
06-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Hmmm. The diabolical double looks well out of my league. Would the savage century be a good alt ride for a mortal?

culimerc
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Two weekends, actually. How much recovery time do you need??
Oh, well that makes *all* the difference. :)

Jason B
06-10-2013, 03:52 PM
We have four W-L teachers doing it. You would think one of us would have come to their senses and said no!

rswinkler
06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm heading out Friday afternoon, and have room for another rider and bike if anyone else from DC/Arlington/Falls Church wants to split gas.

I have a campsite at Deep Creek State Park Friday and Sat night, but not sure I am staying Saturday night or not. Let me know what you want to do, and we could figure it out.

Jason B
06-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Well that was brutal to say the least. There was one point on the Killer Miller climb that I looked down at my Garmin and it read 0.0. So essentially I was going so slow, I was doing a track stand.
I see Tim did an extra 40 or so miles, with a couple thousand extra climbing feet. That is F'in redonkulus!

jopamora
06-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Anyone going this weekend other than vvill and bikeeveryday? The weather forecast is scaring me more than the climbing.

Jason B
06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
^^^^^
Unless the forecast is fire and brimstone followed by an arctic vortex, I would be more concerned with the climbing.
dont forget to try a track stand on killer miller!
Good luck and have fun with it.

hozn
06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Yup, I will be there with a few teammates. Looking forward to it!

The forecast just says "showers" for me; are you seeing something else? Granted spending that long in the saddle while raining isn't ideal, but at least it will be cool. Heat is my Achilles heel -- or one of them.

hozn
06-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Well, that was a phenomenal ride. I will definitely do that one again.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/22/eda5u5u8.jpg

jopamora
06-22-2014, 08:54 AM
It was tough ride, but I had fun most of the time. The hills kept going and going and going. They were great once I settled into a good rhythm. Saw Jeremiah Bishop at packet pickup, he's a really nice guy. I'd do it again and even the Diabolical Double if I didn't have to ride with Hans.

hozn
06-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Heh, we rode up the hills at a good pace, but generally took it easy on the ride, spent plenty of time at rest stations and took lots of photos :-)