PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my bike in my office

WCLead
02-17-2011, 07:48 AM
We moved to the building we are in early last year and I have been commuting to work on my bike. My commute is 42-48 miles round trip depending on my route (Arlington to Chain Bridge to C&O Trail to Crescent Trail to Bethesda Trolly Trail to Rockville) so I ride a nice road bike to work to make my commute as fast as possible. Ever since we moved to this building, I have been storing my bike in my office, however, one of the supposed building owners confronted my in the building lobby yesterday and informed me that my bike was not allowed in the building and I would have to store it outside during the day. I am not comfortable doing this. Regardless of the fact that my bike is pretty valuable, even if I could secure it, I have accessories like my headlight (Light & Motion Seca 1400) that are too valuable to leave outside. Do I have any recourse? My company supports my riding to work, however we sublet the office space from another company who leases from the building owners. Any help or suggestions would be grealy appreciated.

PrintError
02-17-2011, 09:32 AM
You would have to take it up with the building managers. The building I'm at doesn't mind at all, but my boss got whiney about it. Luckily I was able to pursuade the facilities people to put a nice new bike rack in the covered parking garage.

Maybe work out a compromise with the managers to store it in a secure and out-of-the-weather area.

Tim Kelley
02-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Another option might be to see if you can use a loading dock and freight elevator to get to your office. A bike isn't any more dirty and doesn't take up more space than a UPS of Fedex handtruck/delivery cart.

PrintError
02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Another option might be to see if you can use a loading dock and freight elevator to get to your office. A bike isn't any more dirty and doesn't take up more space than a UPS of Fedex handtruck/delivery cart.

Clearly you haven't seen my bike after the winter commuting. :D

invisiblehand
02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Clearly you haven't seen my bike after the winter commuting. :D

Do you ride with full fenders? Typically, that helps a lot.

If the final call is that you can't bring your bike inside, it is the case that relative to another bike that fits you the same way with old components, the difference in speed will likely be negligible since you're riding solo and not trying to stay with the peloton or paceline.

http://tinyurl.com/27w39hl
http://tinyurl.com/378n5n6

So perhaps investing in an older bike and taking the uber light off the bike when parked at work will alleviate some anxiety. If there are racks there, I typically leave a u-lock at work so carrying it back and forth is not an issue.

mosesdef
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I would suggest riding up Seven Locks Rd. instead, I believe it would be a shorter commute.

Jsnyd
07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Thats kind of odd you're getting blow back. Maybe its because of your cleats? Or lack of space to keep your gear? Most places in this area are all about alternative ways to work, even military. Opens parking spaces and what not.