PDA

View Full Version : Climate Ride for WABA - Fundraising

dbb
06-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Fellow riders,

I need your help. About four years ago, I began riding again after a multi-decade break. In that time, I became a full time bike commuter and have become active in BikeArlington and the Arlington Bike Advisory Committee. I credit my success with cycling to the willingness of my fellow riders on the BikeArlington Forum to share their experience and expertise.

Last year's long distance rides many of us supported (the Climate Ride from NYC to DC and Tim Johnsonís Ride on Washington from Boston) got me thinking about a multi-day ride. I will ride the 300 miles of the NYC-DC Climate Ride on September 21-25 and have selected the Washington Area Bicyclist Association as the beneficiary for my fundraising. This year the funds are even more important because of the cancellation of Bike DC earlier this year.

I chose WABA because of their long term support of cycling in the DC area. Much of the cycling infrastructure I rely on is the result of WABAís advocacy. WABA has always been there and with our help, will continue to thrive.

Cycling in the DC area helps reduce air pollution (fewer cars), traffic congestion, and reduces the overcrowding (I am doing my part) on the Metro transit system. For me, this is possible because of the great cycling infrastructure available. By supporting my 300 mile ride we can raise money for WABA, working tirelessly to make the region better for cycling. With the help of the funds I raise, WABA will be able to work to improve and expand the regionís cycle transportation systems.

You can make a secure, tax deductible, online donation today by clicking on the 'Support Me' button on the page link below. You'll automatically receive an acknowledgment and I will be notified by email of your support.

http://bike.climateride.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=2056

Thanks for your help!

Dana

dbb
08-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Giving this a bump. Ride is about six weeks out. Please support if you can.

Thanks

Dana

Arlingtonrider
08-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Dana,

Very happy to contribute. I thank you every single time I ride the path and round the curve where the 14th bridge path meets the MVT. Also greatly appreciate all the work you've been doing with NPS to plan improvements on the DC end of things. Thanks for the great ABAC minutes write ups and all the help you've given to individual cyclists too. You do so much in so many ways!

It's cool that the funds raised will benefit WABA too - especially since they couldn't get the permits for their biggest fundraiser this year.

I want you to be able to do this ride!

K.

dbb
08-06-2013, 07:20 PM
On the way to work this morning, I participated in a focus group. Like most focus groups, I had no idea who was paying for it or what their agenda was. Turns out, BP (yeah the Gulf oil spill BP) was testing some new public communication strategies to help me (actually you too) understand they'd done a great deal in the Gulf and we all should be appreciative. Alas, I might have been less appreciative than they hoped.

The good news is that the $125 I got for the focus group might be the first BP dollars that go to the Climate Ride! It will be going in the next donation I make. Seems only fitting the oil industry should help with cycling advocacy.