PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Association Challenge ride

Dickie
05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
I've signed up, anyone else planning on riding? From what Consularrider told me it's a good idea to get there early and park yourself near the front of the large group start. Might be fun to get a bunch of us forum folks hanging out together... anyone interested?

TwoWheelsDC
05-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Wasn't in the budget for Meg and I, but I/we will probably be down to watch the races. I/we will also be camped out in Clarendon on Saturday too. I may bring the bike trailer with a cooler full of snacks/drinks and make a day out of it.

consularrider
05-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Wasn't in the budget for Meg and I, but I/we will probably be down to watch the races. I/we will also be camped out in Clarendon on Saturday too. I may bring the bike trailer with a cooler full of snacks/drinks and make a day out of it.
Can you set up the Bike Arlington feed zone after the departure from the Air Force Memorial?

TwoWheelsDC
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Can you set up the Bike Arlington feed zone after the departure from the Air Force Memorial?

If Tim/BA wanted to set up an actual feed zone, I'd be happy to volunteer. Otherwise, I would be willing to covertly hand out snacks to folks I recognize...Forum members only!!

Greenbelt
05-31-2013, 11:52 AM

Laurie and I are bringing down a small (probably) group to watch the races on Saturday. Want to stake out a table somewhere and get lunch while we watch?

I was thinking about trying to get down there in time for the end of the women's race, maybe watch the kids race, and see the start of the men's pro... -Jeff

TwoWheelsDC
05-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Laurie and I are bringing down a small (probably) group to watch the races on Saturday. Want to stake out a table somewhere and get lunch while we watch?

I was thinking about trying to get down there in time for the end of the women's race, maybe watch the kids race, and see the start of the men's pro... -Jeff

Absolutely! I'm going to try and get a spot in the metro plaza. If I'm feeling spry, I'll try and get down there pretty early, but at the very least, I'd like to get there for the start of the women's race.

rcannon100
05-31-2013, 01:36 PM
I've signed up, anyone else planning on riding? From what Consularrider told me it's a good idea to get there early and park yourself near the front of the large group start. Might be fun to get a bunch of us forum folks hanging out together... anyone interested?

How many laps is your goal... and watt speed do ya think you will be doing. Dont want any of us old folk slowing u down. Was thinking 'bout doing it.

Vicegrip
05-31-2013, 04:57 PM
I am in for the ride too. First time for me so I will be getting there early to have enough time to figure out what is what. I don't know how many laps, that is up to the legs and they won't tell me.

Dickie
05-31-2013, 06:22 PM
How many laps is your goal... and watt speed do ya think you will be doing. Dont want any of us old folk slowing u down. Was thinking 'bout doing it.

I'm hoping to do 6, but would be happy with 5. I figure we could all line up and start together at the very least and see where we go from there. I am planning on arriving at the starting area at 6:45-7:00. And this whole "Old Folk" line isn't going to work on me, I remember the days of beta tapes and 8 tracks so we're not that different in age.

Rod Smith
06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Registration ends at midnight tomorrow. I reckon I will have talked myself into signing up by then.

PeteD
06-01-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm registered for the ride, and would love to do my turn at the front for everyone. Going to do the 6 laps, as long as the legs hold out.

NicDiesel
06-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Just registered. What time do people usually show up to meet up and stretch for the Sunday race?

Vicegrip
06-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm registered for the ride, and would love to do my turn at the front for everyone. Going to do the 6 laps, as long as the legs hold out.I also want to do as many laps as I can. IIRC you need to avg. 17.5 mph or so to do the full ride in time.

Dickie
06-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I'll be there around 6:45-7:00 and will probably head straight to the starting point. I'll be on a celest Bianchi and most likely wearing a light blue jersey, black bibs and black helmet. I am not certain I will be able to hold a 18mph pace for the entire 3.5 hrs, but who knows. Regardless, it will would be great for us to support each other as best we can... looking forward to seeing you all there!

Tim Kelley
06-03-2013, 11:21 AM
FYI--the KOM lap speed for one lap last year was 24.9mph.

consularrider
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
FYI--the KOM lap speed for one lap last year was 24.9mph.
That's it? I could have sworn the supersonics were out, maybe it was the crowd?

Bilsko
06-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm signed up as well. 17.15 mph average to pull down the Gold medal and the only real climbs seem to be up Wilson and then the harder one to get up to the AFMemorial. First ride of this type for me (not quite a race, but still competitive) so I'm excited.

txgoonie
06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
That's it? I could have sworn the supersonics were out, maybe it was the crowd?

Well, that's of the people who uploaded their ride to Strava. Doesn't mean there wasn't someone going faster.

NicDiesel
06-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Those of you that did it last year - can you recommend a good spot for your support person to hang out at that's shady? My wife said she wants to cheer me on and be my support person but didn't know if the shady area over by the water fountains in Crystal City would be open or not for spectators. Anyone remember what the crowd was like for the race last year?

txgoonie
06-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Those of you that did it last year - can you recommend a good spot for your support person to hang out at that's shady? My wife said she wants to cheer me on and be my support person but didn't know if the shady area over by the water fountains in Crystal City would be open or not for spectators. Anyone remember what the crowd was like for the race last year?

It's not a huge crowd draw quite honestly since it's non-competitive. I actually remember some people doing exactly what your wife is planning to do in that spot. The roads will be closed to vehicular traffic, of course, but pedestrians shouldn't have any trouble getting around. Just please make sure you're actually off the route if you choose to stop. It's not a huge hazard at the water fountain b/c the road is relatively wide there. I just remember people creating their own little impromptu pit stops right on the road, which really isn't the safest thing to do.

Arlingtonrider
06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I and lots of others were cheering people on from the sidewalks south of the Water Park, and as I recall, there was shade to stand in. I might be there again this year, cowbells in hand. I might actually have been a couple of blocks south of the Water Park on the same side of the street that it's on, close to the finish line and the announcers' stand across the street.

consularrider
06-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Ok, the Challenge Ride website (http://cyclingclassic.org/challenge-ride-course.html) changed the map of the course to what was run last year from what was originally posted. Last year's route was 15 km (9.32 miles) per lap and the new route was supposed to be 16.5 km (10.25 miles) per lap. The website still lists the route as 16.5 km, but I'm betting it is only 15 km. That's a difference of 9 km (5.58 miles) for six laps. For for six laps of 99 km in 3.5 hours (no breaks), you need to average 28.25 kph (17.57 mph), if it is only 90 km you need to average 25.72 kph (15.98 mph).

Bilsko
06-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Ok, the Challenge Ride website (http://cyclingclassic.org/challenge-ride-course.html) changed the map of the course to what was run last year from what was originally posted. Last year's route was 15 km (9.32 miles) per lap and the new route was supposed to be 16.5 km (10.25 miles) per lap. The website still lists the route as 16.5 km, but I'm betting it is only 15 km. That's a difference of 9 km (5.58 miles) for six laps. For for six laps of 99 km in 3.5 hours (no breaks), you need to average 28.25 kph (17.57 mph), if it is only 90 km you need to average 25.72 kph (15.98 mph).

So I'm confused - is the PDF map (labeled June 9, 2013) *not* the actual course? I had to force ridewithgps to maps it out with straigh lines (b/c it wouldn't let me map around the Pentagon), and it came up a bit short on distance (closer to 14.5-15km than to 16.5)...

I can't imagine it will be substantially different - getting road closure permits around there must be the worst so I'd think that they just go with what's worked in the past, no?

dasgeh
06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Would it be crazy to do this with a kid (on a weehoo, seat or similar)?

consularrider
06-03-2013, 01:45 PM
So I'm confused - is the PDF map (labeled June 9, 2013) *not* the actual course? I had to force ridewithgps to maps it out with straigh lines (b/c it wouldn't let me map around the Pentagon), and it came up a bit short on distance (closer to 14.5-15km than to 16.5)...

I can't imagine it will be substantially different - getting road closure permits around there must be the worst so I'd think that they just go with what's worked in the past, no?
As I understand it, that is the course and it is only 15 km. Earlier this year there was a much different PDF at the website that I believe was closer to the 16.5 km and they never changed the wording in description. Something to be sure to clarify when you pickup you packet on Friday or Saturday.

Tim Kelley
06-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Would it be crazy to do this with a kid (on a weehoo, seat or similar)?

No--just start out towards the back, stay out of the passing lane and watch any of the tight turns. (In years past there always seems to be at least one sharp turn that ends up being a bottleneck)

Is Grant coming out too?

dasgeh
06-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Grant is signed up for the 2/3 (but may switch to the 3/4). Sydney is signed up for the kids race. Ryder and I were feeling left out. :-)

KLizotte
06-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I also recall people skipping the hill up to the AF Memorial. Just stay on 395 if you choose.

Tim Kelley
06-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I also recall people skipping the hill up to the AF Memorial. Just stay on 395 if you choose.

But then you don't get your pastry and your heckling from Richard Fries!!

NicDiesel
06-03-2013, 03:48 PM

How bad is that hill? Are we talking "out of saddle" all out climb or "just keep your speed up"?

Tim Kelley
06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
How bad is that hill? Are we talking "out of saddle" all out climb or "just keep your speed up"?

More like sit and spin--it's not steep enough to get out of the saddle unless you are really pushing to keep up with the fast little climber guys.

txgoonie
06-03-2013, 04:19 PM
start out towards the back, stay out of the passing lane and watch any of the tight turns.

This applies to everyone, btw ;-) While this isn't a race, there are people riding for time and some pretty swift-moving pacelines out there, so observing group riding rules keeps everyone safe and moving well. Stay right, pass left. Hold your line. Check behind quickly before you change your line. If things are a little tight, pointing left or right to indicate your intention to move is always welcome. If you draft off someone, make sure they know you're back there. Basically, just stay aware and use common sense.

Rod Smith
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Damn. I forgot to sign up last night. Hopefully there will be some spots available on the day of the event. I'll bring a cowbell and cheer you all on if I can't ride. On the climb in a Redskins helmet and Speedo running along side and shouting at you. (With the red circle and diagonal line symbol over the team logo so no one thinks I'm a racist.:))

dasgeh
06-04-2013, 08:33 AM

I did that hill on a Bullitt with a toddler in front on Memorial Day. With that set-up, it's hard, but doable. In my head, it'll be like a flat on a road bike. I believe max grade is 8% for a short section into the memorial; most of it is 5-6%

Jason B
06-05-2013, 09:41 AM
as Tim said, sit and spin, but if you do need to stand, there is a yellow pedestrian sign on the right that would be a good goal to do so. It is where it gets a tad bit steeper and you only have a bit to go. It might not be a Ped. Sign but it is your only sign on the right as you are motoring up.

Bilsko
06-05-2013, 09:46 AM
as Tim said, sit and spin, but if you do need to stand, there is a yellow pedestrian sign on the right that would be a good goal to do so.

This one? (https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-77.065507!3d38.868067!2m2!1f243.78!2f82.77!4f75!2m 4!1e1!2m2!1s9JRn-JHgMh_Fs3WM2PUDAg!2e0&fid=5)

NicDiesel
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
as Tim said, sit and spin, but if you do need to stand, there is a yellow pedestrian sign on the right that would be a good goal to do so. It is where it gets a tad bit steeper and you only have a bit to go. It might not be a Ped. Sign but it is your only sign on the right as you are motoring up.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually ride in traffic when I do my long rides so this is going to be a nice change for me since there won't be any stops. Being over 350lbs I'm still kind of leery about making it through the whole three and a half hours but if this hill isn't that bad I'm sure with plenty of rest the night before, water, Stinger waffles, and short breaks I'll do ok since it's not stop and go.

NicDiesel
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
This one? (https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-77.065507!3d38.868067!2m2!1f243.78!2f82.77!4f75!2m 4!1e1!2m2!1s9JRn-JHgMh_Fs3WM2PUDAg!2e0&fid=5)

Whew, I drove up that yesterday and it wasn't even close to what I imagined (think Martha Custis Drive hill in Farlington). It'll still be a struggle but not a killer.

dbb
06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Because the route is repeated, you have the option of skipping some of the hill components. The hill segment is off Route 110 and then rejoins 110 at the same point.

For most of us last year, it was a fun ride not a competition

Dickie
06-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Do you have the Strava map from last year Chris? More curious than anything.

consularrider
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Do you have the Strava map from last year Chris? More curious than anything.

Here is my 2012 Strava (http://app.strava.com/activities/10517847). Based on my Garminconnect readout (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/187642673), I think I hit the stop button instead of the lap button on the final lap. It shows me riding only 2:22:50 total time starting at 7:35 am. I actually finished up before 11 am, hung around for just a little to cheer on fellow VeloDCity riders and then headed out at 11:13. I know the official timing (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvZu-YK1Ewq4dDcwUlJPOFpaMzlGWjlUSEhjQlh5RVE#gid=0) for the event (dbb's spreadsheet) gave me credit for six laps finishing in 2:55:09.

Here's the Garminconnect (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91976668) info from 2011. It's a little off on the first lap because it was slow locating the satellite as we started (it had turned itself off while waiting at the start), and I forgot to turn it off at the finish.

Dickie
06-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks Chris!

txgoonie
06-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I usually ride in traffic when I do my long rides so this is going to be a nice change for me since there won't be any stops. Being over 350lbs I'm still kind of leery about making it through the whole three and a half hours but if this hill isn't that bad I'm sure with plenty of rest the night before, water, Stinger waffles, and short breaks I'll do ok since it's not stop and go.

The good thing about the hill is that it's right before the water stop. So you're expected to slow down/stop right after it to catch your breath anyway. Then you go right back down the hill, which is super fun! It's one of those things where sitting at the bottom of it, you think "oh crap," but once you're actually on it, it really doesn't seem so bad.

consularrider
06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
... hill ..., it really doesn't seem so bad.
Except the fifth and sixth time around. ;)

Bilsko
06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Because the route is repeated, you have the option of skipping some of the hill components. The hill segment is off Route 110 and then rejoins 110 at the same point.

This is one aspect that I don't quite understand -if an entire mile or two portion of the ride is optional, then does that impact the completion of the Gold/Silver/Bronze categories? Or do you have to ride that section (and be tracked with their device) to prove that you did the entire circuit?

Ostensibly, two riders could both get to gold via six laps, and one of them would have ridden almost an entire laps-worth of distance less than the other if he/she excluded that portion of the circuit....right?

Bilsko
06-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Ostensibly, two riders could both get to gold via six laps, and one of them would have ridden almost an entire laps-worth of distance less than the other if he/she excluded that portion of the circuit....right?

OSTENSIBLY? Are you kidding me? Jesus, Bilsko, that's almost as bad as begrimed.

consularrider
06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
This is one aspect that I don't quite understand -if an entire mile or two portion of the ride is optional, then does that impact the completion of the Gold/Silver/Bronze categories? Or do you have to ride that section (and be tracked with their device) to prove that you did the entire circuit?

The timing chip only cares when you cross the timing pad, it's not a GPS mapping of your ride. If a rider skips the Air Force Memorial leg, it will just look like that rider is extra fast. Of course a rider can always turn around early on 110 too.

Bilsko
06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
got it. I know its not a competitive ride (beyond the personal achievement aspect), but it seems a bit odd to organize it that way.

Bilsko
06-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Wow - the elevation data is all kinds of weird for that ride. The same location in Crystal City (the ride start) keeps getting lower and lower on subsequent laps. Its kind of like Crystal City is sinking into the Potomac and Strava is giving you a realtime topographic record of it.

Either that, or I just cant read an elevation profile.

TwoWheelsDC
06-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Wow - the elevation data is all kinds of weird for that ride. The same location in Crystal City (the ride start) keeps getting lower and lower on subsequent laps. Its kind of like Crystal City is sinking into the Potomac and Strava is giving you a realtime topographic record of it.

Either that, or I just cant read an elevation profile.

Probably due to the temp/barometric pressure rising rapidly in the morning and throwing off the barometric altitude sensor.

Tim Kelley
06-06-2013, 08:36 AM
If a rider skips the Air Force Memorial leg, it will just look like that rider is extra fast.

But Strava will know...

txgoonie
06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
But Strava will know...

Nothing is sacred.

http://road.cc/content/news/84868-digital-epo-smash-your-strava-times%E2%80%A6-cheating

consularrider
06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
But Strava will know...
I'm sure those who attempt this won't be uploading to Strava. ;)

PotomacCyclist
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Last year, they reserved the front spaces for those who had signed up for the Team Sabre fundraising challenge. (Those people also received a Cycling Classic bike jersey.)

http://cyclingclassic.org/team-sabre.html

I enjoyed the ride last year, but I'll probably skip it this year. I'm peaking/tapering for a long triathlon race later this month. I don't want to do a 3.5-hr race-pace ride this close to that race. I could sign up and just ride a few laps, but it doesn't seem worth it to just do a couple laps and stop. Plus my enthusiasm would probably get the better of me and I would ride the entire 3.5 hours.

I tried volunteering for the pre-race packet prep yesterday but I signed up a little late and didn't hear about where to go. (I showed up at the hotel but they said there were no spaces being rented out yesterday for the Cycling Classic.)

Hopefully the rain goes away and the weather is sunny for the races this weekend.

dasgeh
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Can you still register? The website seems to say you can, but doesn't say whether they've reached capacity:

In person packet pick-up will be run at the Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport (1999 Jeff Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA), on Friday between 2-6pm, and on Saturday, between noon and 6pm. You can also register on ride morning at the on-site Registration tent, near the start/finish line (Register now as we are likely to reach rider capacity early this year!!)
- $45 General Entry
- $35 Discounted Entry (Active Duty/Reserve Military Personnel, Retired Military)
- $5 Late fee after May 31.
- On-line registration closes midnight, June 2nd
We will offer limited walk-up spots on Friday, June 7th at packet pick-up after 3pm. We will continue to offer walk-up spots until we are sold out. Check back here for updated status.

Oh, and the FAQs have the medals at a higher lap count. I think those are wrong.

If anyone is going to packet pick-up, could you please ask and post? And line length, if you don't mind?

Thanks!

jopamora
06-07-2013, 01:07 PM
There wasn't a line just now. There was a sign for New Registrations.

PotomacCyclist
06-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Interesting that the Washington Examiner is one of the sponsors. They aren't always friendly toward the idea of cycling, and neither are many of their readers. But I'm not complaining about the sponsorship.

PotomacCyclist
06-07-2013, 02:16 PM
An item related to the Air Force and speed, but not necessarily cycling:

I saw the John Glenn lecture last night at the Air and Space Museum. Senator Glenn introduced and asked questions of his friend and fellow space pioneer Lt. General (ret.) Thomas Stafford, USAF. (I was in the overflow seating area but Glenn and Stafford visited the room briefly before heading over to the IMAX Theater for the main lecture.)

Of course Glenn is the first American to orbit the Earth. Stafford served on four NASA space missions, including commander of Apollo 10, the dress rehearsal for the Apollo 11 landing on the Moon. During Apollo 10 and the return from Moon orbit, Stafford and his crew set the speed record for human travel, reaching a top speed of 24,791 mph. That's 6.9 miles per second!

dasgeh
06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Husband just picked stuff up. No line now. Still spots for the Challenge.

Dickie
06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Rode in the rain to get my registration materials..... felt like crap by the time I got home.... hope this summer cold crap is finished before Sunday. Met Nick (4st47lbs) at the hotel, good to see you sir and looking forward to lining up with you on Sunday! Crossed paths with a speeding Cosularrider heading towards the hotel on the MVT to collect his registration materials as well... he looked in good form.... shocker!

Quick question: Anyone know if the helmet sticker needs to be in a specific position... front, back, side? And are they picky about the jersey number orientation?

Bilsko
06-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Rode in the rain to get my registration materials..... felt like crap by the time I got home.... hope this summer cold crap is finished before Sunday. Met Nick (4st47lbs) at the hotel, good to see you sir and looking forward to lining up with you on Sunday! Crossed paths with a speeding Cosularrider heading towards the hotel on the MVT to collect his registration materials as well... he looked in good form.... shocker!

Quick question: Anyone know if the helmet sticker needs to be in a specific position... front, back, side? And are they picky about the jersey number orientation?

Wow, at 2:45/3:00, I must have missed all of the forum members going to pick up their packets. Fortunately, no line when I went to get mine.

My plan is to ride down to Crystal City around 630 (to get there around 7AM). Dickie, others, where are you planning on meeting?

consularrider
06-07-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm number 1543 and will be in my blue Bike Arlington kit. Helmet number goes on the front of the helmet, I've had the jersey numbers a couple different ways, but most people just put them so you can read them from behind. This is the first year they've given us a number for the front of the bike with the timing chip.

NicDiesel
06-07-2013, 09:02 PM
My plan is to ride down to Crystal City around 630 (to get there around 7AM). Dickie, others, where are you planning on meeting?
I'll be there around 7am or so to start stretching and to make sure Blucy is ready to roll. I'm number 886 and shouldn't be too hard to spot - large white guy, solid white jersey, blue Cross Check with white tape.

Greenbelt
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Absolutely! I'm going to try and get a spot in the metro plaza. If I'm feeling spry, I'll try and get down there pretty early, but at the very least, I'd like to get there for the start of the women's race.

See you tomorrow I hope. There'll probably be a half dozen or so of us from College Park riding down. Should get there a bit before 11am, so should be able to see the women finish. Feel free to grab a table along the route and flag us down? For ID, look for me in the yellow helmet with helmet light and wearing Proteus jersey. Will probably ride the Super Nova with GoPro. Laurie will probably ride her Orbea. -Jeff

Dickie
06-07-2013, 09:29 PM

I'm planning on getting there just before 7:00. I think we should just head to the start line and gravitate towards the front....we should be able to spot one another pretty easily. Of course if someone knows a landmark that would be a good place to meet down there I'm happy to defer to that. My wife will also be coming to cheer me/us on so if any of your SO's were thinking of coming they wouldn't be alone. My plan is to try and avoid riding in the middle of the pack as I am assuming this is where all the bottlenecks and delays will occur in the first few laps. Hopefully we can get a good start position and avoid most of the shenanigans.

PotomacCyclist
06-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Stay on your toes and be alert if you are watching the pro races, especially at the finish. I was near the finish line for the men's Sunday race last year. About 100 ft. from the finish, two of the cyclists clipped wheels and one guy went down. He slid on his rear end (not rear wheel) for about 50 ft. Then he got up and jogged across the finish line, narrowly avoiding a collision with the other cyclists who zipped past him.

I was so focused on filming the race with my camera that I didn't realize that the cyclist went down and slid by just inches from me. If he had gone diagonally off the course, he probably would have taken my legs out. So pay attention! Just like at a baseball game. In baseball, there are foul balls and home runs. In cycling (especially crits with fast cyclists riding in tight packs), there are bike crashes.

Arlingtonrider
06-08-2013, 07:39 AM
For those who have them, BikeArlington jerseys could help us spot each other.

Bilsko
06-08-2013, 11:57 AM
No BikeArlington jersey for me - I'll probably be in a black long sleeve jersey and 3/4 knickers (also black). Rolling on the dark green Surly Disc Trucker. Numero 826

Bilsko
06-08-2013, 12:01 PM
As for attaching the number w/chip to the front of the bike. Any tips so its not flapping around and/or scooping up all the wind?

Vicegrip
06-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Picking up the ride packet Sunday so I plan to be in line at 6 am. My BA jersey does not match my bike but you do what you have to for the team. Look* for the older guy in a BA jersey riding a visually loud red and white Fuji crabon bike. I

* "Look" as in look out for, I seem to be running a streak of flops.

jopamora
06-08-2013, 03:17 PM
As for attaching the number w/chip to the front of the bike. Any tips so its not flapping around and/or scooping up all the wind?

Does it have to go on the front? What about top tube/down tube facing sideways? Or behind your saddle?

Bilsko
06-08-2013, 05:44 PM
They said front, but I was hoping to hang it in the front triangle. May take it unattached and see when I get there

Jason B
06-08-2013, 08:55 PM
They said front, but I was hoping to hang it in the front triangle. May take it unattached and see when I get there

Yea, totally lost on the front 'billboard. I have my garmin out front and I am not seeing the two making friends. Anybody got a picture of the proper attachment?
Thanks

Tim Kelley
06-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Well, that was fun!

NicDiesel
06-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Definitely, great meeting you and seeing Dickie out and about. So, when's the next ride?

Vicegrip
06-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Well, that was fun!

Yes, yes it was. Good to get out and ride and to see lots of happy folks.

Rod Smith
06-09-2013, 02:12 PM
That was a blast! Nice seeing some of you there. I'm glad I got to ride with PeteD and Vicegrip for part of lap seven. I didn't really want to go seven but I didn't read this whole thread so I was confused when I had less than 10x6 miles at what I could have sworn was the finish line for 'gold medal' distance. I stopped and scratched my head, then went out for one more. Glad I did because I got to ride with a couple of you all on the bonus lap . Pete didn't know what lap he was on, he was going to get as many as he could. Great attitude. We helped each other for half a lap. Vicegrip came through on a fast train. He acted like we never had met. Pete and I jumped on but I got a call from the friend I rode to the event with (and finished the sixth lap with) wondering where I'd gone. If he had stopped at the finish as I did I would have known the ride was "over". I stopped, he didn't. I started going again... Anyway I'm glad I rode one more time around but after slowing to take the call at the bottom of the hill, I couldn't get back up to my teammates...

It was nice to also see Bilsko, and Riders Consular and Arlington. Sorry I didn't stop to chat, Kathy. I was headed your way when I decided I might be a lap short...

I saw 4ST7 stopped on heartbreak hill. I failed to recognize you because I hadn't read this thread carefully before heading out which I regret for a number of reasons. I gave you a sort of late little thumbs up because I'm socially inept but I wanted you to know your participation in this event was admirable/inspiring. When I was on the decent, I saw that a woman in a Bike Arlington jersey had stopped to see if you were OK or to maybe offer a word of praise or encouragement. That was the nicest thing I saw today.

I hollered "Yea Bike Arlington!" to someone in a Bike Arlington jersey who responded with "Keep it local". Not sure what you meant but I liked that. :)

Jason B
06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
That was a blast. It was a tad bit more twisty, but overall a good time. Appeared a little short than in the past.
The W-L contingent had about 6 teachers riding today. We had four 7's and two 6's. I am little bummed that a few of our times were recorded incorrectly. One of our group was only recorded for two laps and two of us lost a lap. Oh we'll, that is what Garmin is for.

Tim Kelley
06-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Are results posted somewhere already?

Jason B
06-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Well, that was fun!

Nice KOM!
You could stop at the table and get results at the end of the ride.

Arlingtonrider
06-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Tim, I haven't seen results anywhere, but Richard Fries (primary commentator) asked me if I knew you. I denied any association whatsoever. (just kidding.)

Very fun day! In addition to Tim, saw Consularrider, Bilsco, Megabeth, Dickie, Vicegrip, Rod Smith, PeteD, Hans, Sean Chisham and the entire Grant/Dasgeh family! Gillian rode with Ryder in the Bullitt. Grant rode separately, and their two and a half year old daughter raced with her age group. An amazing cycling family! I think I saw 4st7lbs too, but wasn't sure. Cheered for everyone I knew, everyone I thought I might know, and anyone else who looked like they needed it. Congratulations to everyone!

The pro races were very exciting too, with Team United Healthcare finally having to cede first place! Forgot to add that I saw Culimerc too.

Dickie
06-09-2013, 04:06 PM

I heard someone say they would be posted later and you could enter your number to get the info... I also checked MyLaps but found nothing for the event.

What a great day, perfect weather and lots of forum folks in the challenge and on the sidelines.

Kathy - I looked forward to that cowbell every lap, gave me the push I needed to do my 7 laps
Consularrider - Thanks for being there and keeping me calm at the beginning. Bummed you blew a tire, I had no idea!
4st47lbs - Sorry I could't find you at the beginning, but glad I spotted you on heart break hill near the end.
Tim - You blew by me at the finish line as I started my 7th lap (your 8th?). I was out of the saddle and you were still a blur... awesome!
Vicegrip - You were always just out of reach until I dug deep and finally caught up on the last lap, great to finish with you.
PeteD - two words... EPIC SPRINT

Sorry to have missed the rest of you... Bilsko, Rod, Jason, Dasgeh to name a few... but congrats to you all regardless.

Vicegrip
06-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Rod you have stumbled onto my secret. I have the worst ability to put a name to a face and to remember people easily. Car parts, tools, nuts, bolts, materials, electrical diagrams, I can remember what and where but what is important names for all the good people around me slips through largely unimpeded.

What is important is that I saw a very large group of people having good fun for a good cause.
Dicky and PeteD got the drop on me at the town line but good for the final sprint. Was fun to watch, albeit from behind......
Was good to bump into Bilsko in the am before the ride.
Was glad to only see Tim K once on the ride. ;)

NicDiesel
06-09-2013, 07:16 PM
That was a blast!
Definitely. Outside of that funky u-turn after the AF memorial the course was really smooth, definitely a great "first" ride. I didn't see anyone being super aggressive or reckless, which was really nice, and there were tons of ride support and medical staff patrolling, another nice touch.

I saw 4ST7 stopped on heartbreak hill. I failed to recognize you because I hadn't read this thread carefully before heading out which I regret for a number of reasons. I gave you a sort of late little thumbs up because I'm socially inept but I wanted you to know your participation in this event was admirable/inspiring. When I was on the decent, I saw that a woman in a Bike Arlington jersey had stopped to see if you were OK or to maybe offer a word of praise or encouragement. That was the nicest thing I saw today.
A number of people stopped by to see how I was doing and to give words of encouragement, which was really cool. As I told Tim when he stopped by, I handled the first lap and a half really easily but started cramping really bad halfway up the AF hill. The first time I stretched it out and got back going no problem, but on lap four my legs wouldn't stop cramping. I managed to make it up the hill and back into Crystal City but my legs were pretty much dead. Still, it was a really great ride and something I'd do again if given the chance.

PeteD
06-09-2013, 09:13 PM
That was a lot of fun today, though the middle part where I couldn't find a good train to wheel suck was a bit more of a chore than when I was sitting 5th or 6th wheel for the most of the day.
Saw Rod at the start, then let the crowd and my aversion to riding in a big peleton pass me for most of the first lap (at least up until Wilson Blvd turn around).
Saw Kathy a couple times in Crystal City, then caught up with Rod again on lap 6 (or was that 7). He stopped to take a call, so I latched onto Vicegrip's wheel for the last run up the hill, and then hung on to Dickie's for most of the run back into Crystal City, and then, figured since this was the end (no one was coming the other way), it was time to empty the tank on the last 4 corners, and I'm not sure who got the sprint there at the end, but it was the capstone for a fun ride today!

Rod Smith
06-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Vicegrip, I hollered your name and forum handle. Joked to Pete that you were "in the zone". I regret taking that call, but I felt I owed it to my riding buddy although he sort of inadvertently tricked me into taking that last lap. There was no way in hell I was getting back up to you guys without help. I didn't try. I stopped at the Memorial to fill two empty bottles for the ride home and finished at an easy pace. Where did Dickie enter the picture? I started near the front so he must have passed me at some point. I probably saw him but did not recognize. Cool that forum members had some wheel time together. Sounds like it didn't happen for the most part until the seventh lap!

NicDiesel
06-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Here's lap one that I took on the ol' GoPro yesterday. Forgive the bad angles, I need a new camera mount.

https://vimeo.com/68022227

Warning: mid-90s rock and Hold Steady are the soundtrack.

dasgeh
06-10-2013, 09:06 AM
That was awesome. I'm SO glad we did it. I'm sure I saw all of y'all, because I'm pretty sure I was passed by every single person on the ride. I didn't recognize everyone. Sorry. I did recognize Megan, Tim and Kathy. I'm pretty sure I was the only one on a cargo bike.

Grant (my husband) actually didn't do this ride. He raced the 3/4 (flatted on the last lap -- grrr). He also raced the 2/3 on Saturday. Sydney (the toddler) raced the kids races both days (she was SO EXCITED, especially Sunday, and kept asking when her race would start). Not to be outdone, Ryder (6 months) and I decided to do the Challenge ride. Having done that hill once before on the Bullitt, I wasn't sure I could do more than one lap on that bike, so I had a backup plan to get a different bike. After the first time up, I realized I wouldn't need it.

I'm pretty sure my ride experience was different than others -- I was very slow, and I had to stop to do things like drink water, change diapers, nurse, find new toys. Ryder was a trouper in the car seat on the bike for 2+ hours (we rode from home). So I took him out at the top of the hill each time to give him some wiggle time. We got in our two laps easily.

But the real story was the other riders. Everyone was SO NICE. During the first lap, especially, it was a constant stream of nice comments from passing riders (and lots of spectators). It was pretty cool. And no sketchy passes or moments (whenever we came up to a narrow part, I'd pull off until there was a gap or at least a sparsely populated section - I hope we didn't end up blocking or slowing anyone too much).

I saw 3 bikes with trailers out there, 2 kid-tandems and a handful of kids on bikes doing the course themselves. Pretty great stuff.

The whole weekend was just a great weekend for cycling in Arlington. I'm kicking myself for not having Kidical Mass stuff to hand out at those kids races. Man, those kids races are cute.

Steve
06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Here's lap one that I took on the ol' GoPro yesterday. Forgive the bad angles, I need a new camera mount.

https://vimeo.com/68022227

Warning: mid-90s rock and Hold Steady are the soundtrack.

Constructive Summer!? That just put me in a really, really good mood. They (esp. Craig Finn) put on one of the most energetic live shows I've ever seen. I suppose Hold Steady soundtracks are a requirement for preparing to move to the Twin Cities?

Thanks for the video.

KLizotte
06-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Dasgeh,

You win the PLATINUM medal for your Challenge ride. That all sounds far more exhausting than doing 6-7 laps. Even the Copenhagers can't compete with you.

I hope your pic made it into the WashPost. :D

dasgeh
06-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks so much, KLizotte. It wasn't easy, but if I can do it, you can do it. I hope I inspired someone else to have that thought.

GuyContinental
06-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Was this from the ride? http://vimeo.com/68001999

Freaking crazy- did the course really double back on itself without any dividing cones right after a tunnel?

Brent
06-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Searchable results are here: http://www.cadencesports.com/eResults.php?raceid=775&event=Searchable%20Results

Brent
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Freaking crazy- did the course really double back on itself without any dividing cones right after a tunnel?

This was from the pro race. The course went down Crystal Drive, left on 15th, u-turned after the bridge, and back.

txgoonie
06-10-2013, 11:43 AM

In years past, there were dividers there. For the life of me, I can't understand why they weren't there.

NicDiesel
06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Searchable results are here: http://www.cadencesports.com/eResults.php?raceid=775&event=Searchable%20Results

Strange, did anyone crossing after 11am not get their final lap counted?

Dickie
06-10-2013, 11:50 AM

You're the man Brent... thanks for finding this. If you want to see the entire list and not just your result go here: http://www.cadencesports.com/racefiles/775_AFCC%20All%20Riders.htm

BTW... TIM gets 8th..... well done sir!

Brent
06-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Strange, did anyone crossing after 11am not get their final lap counted?

I think they might have had some troubles. I have a friend who did six laps, but her chip only registered one lap, and at twice the time it really took her.

Megabeth
06-10-2013, 11:56 AM
They were pulling up the timing mats around 11:15 or so, so they may have turned it off before then.

Yesterday I had a good ride despite nearly no sleep and a cold that moved into the lungs. I saw a bunch of you out there and tried to wave but sort of settled into a head down and ride mode. (I was wearing my University of Pennsylvania kit so it I rode by you and didn't wave, please blame the cough medicine for my rudeness.) Have to thank Tim for a brief pull. He didn't lap me until my 4th time up the hill, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

When I got near the finish of my 6th lap, I psyched myself up to do another lap but was part of the first group to get pulled from the course to go back out. Would have made 7 total for my day which will be my goal next year. I totally would have made it before the pros started lining up. Oh well...

Saw the start of the pros then headed home. First race I haven't stuck around for since its inception. I was feeling so lousy I just needed to go to bed, so that's what I did.

Brent
06-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I had a great time at this ride as well. I did my six laps, and actually cut almost 30 minutes off of last years time, and I wasn't nearly as tired!

I contemplated going for a 7th lap, but I finished right at the end last year, and they ran out of medals. I was afraid that if I did a 7th lap, it might happen again.

At least that's what I'm telling myself now.

consularrider
06-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Finished #885 with an abysmal performance on lap 4 which included changing the flat: Lap 4 48:36.73 11.5mph 37.200 2:12:11.16

Dickie
06-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Finished #885 with an abysmal performance on lap 4 which included changing the flat: Lap 4 48:36.73 11.5mph 37.200 2:12:11.16

I promise I wasn't dropping nails out of my pockets when I finally helped with a pull! Sorry again Chris for not realizing you had flatted. Looks like I finished 76th, pretty happy that my last lap was my second fastest.

Tim Kelley
06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
You're the man Brent... thanks for finding this. If you want to see the entire list and not just your result go here: http://www.cadencesports.com/racefiles/775_AFCC%20All%20Riders.htm

BTW... TIM gets 8th..... well done sir!

Thanks! Sorry I couldn't have stuck around for a few more laps but I needed to head home.

My first 3 laps were good because I had someone to work with. My 4th lap I did on my own after stopping for water, and my 5th lap was done chatting with Megan. Lap 6 was when I finally got caught by the pack and we picked up the speed again. Lap 7 was the cool down.

Tim Kelley
06-10-2013, 12:47 PM
And last year a couple people put together some pretty cool analysis of the rides and laps completed. Who is going to do that again this year?

Jason B
06-10-2013, 01:04 PM
And last year a couple people put together some pretty cool analysis of the rides and laps completed. Who is going to do that again this year?

You guys were cranking. Time for you guys to start Saturday!
One of our W-L teachers, Butler, also did a great job and did the Generals Proud, 10th. We only got one student this year, and she got 6 laps. She did great!!!!!

My times got messed up. They missed recording my first lap and had me recorded for 51:44 for the first lap, and only 6 laps total. I'm going with my 3:06 19s for 7, not 6! I'll figure out where I stand later.

PotomacCyclist
06-10-2013, 04:29 PM
From ARLnow, an accident involving one of the volunteers during one of the pro races on Sunday.

https://vimeo.com/68001999#

According to the article, the volunteer only suffered minor injuries, so that's good news. The cyclist who accidentally ran over the woman had a case of road rash but nothing broken. Could have been much worse.

I'm not sure why they needed to have a volunteer in the middle of the road. It might be better to have a water-filled barrel in fluorescent orange color marking the separation between the two sides of the road/course.

Vicegrip
06-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Was happy to see my lap times improve once the pack thinned out a bit. best was #3 at 21.something mph. 71th in the standings however they measure. Then I dropped onto a series of pace lines from time to time that were a bit slower but fast enough for me to finish in proper time. For the last couple I struck out on my own and picked it up a little.

Wow, just looked at the video of the wreck. It seemed that folks were not acting on the fact that the racers were going to be back real soon.

Couple of phone grade pix just before the start.

Rod Smith
06-10-2013, 05:39 PM
You finished six laps in 2:48:18 three minutes slower than me. Haha. Who cares? You went seven and thereby bettered everyone who went six and most of us who went seven including me. Second fastest Bike Arlington rider after Tim. You rock!

Rod Smith
06-10-2013, 05:45 PM
You guys were cranking. Time for you guys to start Saturday!
One of our W-L teachers, Butler, also did a great job and did the Generals Proud, 10th. We only got one student this year, and she got 6 laps. She did great!!!!!

My times got messed up. They missed recording my first lap and had me recorded for 51:44 for the first lap, and only 6 laps total. I'm going with my 3:06 19s for 7, not 6! I'll figure out where I stand later.

That's messed up. Looks like you, not Vicegrip should have "first BA member after Tim" honors. Kudos!

Vicegrip
06-10-2013, 06:12 PM
That's messed up. Looks like you, not Vicegrip should have "first BA member after Tim" honors. Kudos!Not to mention that Dickie and PeteD got the drop on me and finished lap 7 ahead of me too. Was real funny from my perspective too. I was cranking along with them sensing a town line sprint with a grin when I felt water all over my feet. "What the?" Looked down and saw that the cap had come off a water bottle. Looked up and they had both started to bolt. Doh!

BTW I am embarrassed that I heard nothing when you were calling over to me.

Jason B
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
That's messed up. Looks like you, not Vicegrip should have "first BA member after Tim" honors. Kudos!

I suspect the top 10's 7th lap was more of a cool down, I know it was for W-L's Butler, who rode the last lap with his daughter. If they moved everybody down to just six laps, it might be a scary gap. Those guys had an insane cranking pace line.

Rod Smith
06-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Not to mention that Dicky and PeteD got the drop on me and finished lap 7 ahead of me too. Was real funny from my perspective too. I was cranking along with them sensing a town line sprint with a grin when I felt water all over my feet. "What the?" Looked down and saw that the cap had come off a water bottle. Looked up and they had both started to bolt. Doh!

BTW I am embarrassed that I heard nothing when you were calling over to me.

Yes but you started after them so the sprint didn't really matter, did it? ;) Funny story about the water bottle. To be honest, my 'holler" at that point in the ride may have been more of a gasp. :D

Rod Smith
06-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Dasgeh, I saw a white Bullitt with number attached at the finish, but didn't see you on the course.

NicDiesel
06-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I was the only one on a cargo bike.

My wife saw you on the Bullitt and asked what you had in the little cargo area when I stopped by for a banana (or two) after lap two. When I told her you had a baby on board she just about exploded with glee. She's not really into cycling but I think you might have gotten her interest piqued quite a bit with the Bullitt and baby cargo. ;)

Vicegrip
06-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Yes but you started after them so the sprint didn't really matter, did it? ;) Funny story about the water bottle. To be honest, my 'holler" at that point in the ride may have been more of a gasp. :DAh, I am starting to get it. Start is not a single time point as with a Green flag as in auto racing it is time between crossing the line start to crossing again for a finish. Am already thinking of what I need to do different next year. (buy a better motor)

Looked like a lot of folks were having fun all in their own way with their own goals.

Was very cool to see Dasgeh cranking along on the box bike. Gave an "all right!" as I made my way by. Was also good to see all the younger riders on their own road bikes. My dear daughter is a long lean tall girl for her age and likes to ride her road bike with dad. I foresee the day when Dad gets dropped off the back by Dear Daughter on this ride (and am looking forward to it).

DOS
06-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I think they might have had some troubles. I have a friend who did six laps, but her chip only registered one lap, and at twice the time it really took her.

Yeah, that's happened last year too. This year a friend of mine did 7 laps. they got the time right but recorded only 5 laps. His time, 2:49.03 puts him top 10 bu he doesn't get the satisfaction. Ah well, it's not a race, it's a ride.

DOS
06-10-2013, 09:35 PM
I suspect the top 10's 7th lap was more of a cool down, I know it was for W-L's Butler, who rode the last lap with his daughter. If they moved everybody down to just six laps, it might be a scary gap. Those guys had an insane cranking pace line.

Seems like there was a small group crossing 6 laps at 2:24 to 2:25 then a good 4 or 5 minutes, then a group of us crossing the 6th lap at 2:29-2:30. I have nothing but respect for all those 7 and 8 lappers. I crossed 6 lap at 2:29 and stopped. If I'd gone for 7 , I'd be cresting the Air force memorial just about now. I was done after 6 and happy to break 2:30.

dasgeh
06-11-2013, 08:35 AM
My wife saw you on the Bullitt and asked what you had in the little cargo area when I stopped by for a banana (or two) after lap two. When I told her you had a baby on board she just about exploded with glee. She's not really into cycling but I think you might have gotten her interest piqued quite a bit with the Bullitt and baby cargo. ;)

Success! Thanks so much. If you're around Arlington this weekend, bring her by Quincy Park (behind the Central Library, Qunicy b/n Fairfax and Washington, bn Virginia Sq and Ballston Metro) at 10:30am for the Kidical Mass start. You should see all sorts of babies on bikes set ups. And you can stick around at meet us at Rocklands (2 blocks from the park) for some 'Q. Or better yet, join us on the ride!

Tim Kelley
06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Photos from the weekend here:

http://www.cycleboredom.com/photoset-2013-air-force-cycling-classic-clarendon-cup/

http://www.backprint.com/view_event.asp?PID=bp%13zOr&EVENTID=115763

http://robcurrie.zenfolio.com/p564780818

http://www.backprint.com/view_event.asp?PID=bp%13zOr&EVENTID=115763

Please add more if you find them!

Bilsko
06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I enjoyed the ride - I dont think I rode as strongly as I would have liked, but still it was a good experience.

Dasgeh - sorry I couldn't stop to chat when I passed you. I think that was on my last lap and I needed to get home to help out with the little one. Nice to be able to say hi and put a face (and bike) to a name!

I think my overall average was 19, although I had 3 couple-of-minute stops to say hi to my wife and daughter who were spectating at the turn-around in Roslyn and then a 5 minute water break at the top of the AFM hill.

I did feel pretty good about my climbing on the AFM and the other hill along 110 back into Crystal City. I'll need to take a closer look at Strava to see what my moving time and moving avg. speed were.

Kathy, thanks for the cheers and cowbell - it was great to see you!

A few pictures308530863087

PotomacCyclist
06-13-2013, 02:45 PM
One minor complaint: I wish that the work crews were more careful about cleaning up the plastic zip ties used for the advertising banners. On the day after the event, I saw dozens of cut plastic ties scattered all along Crystal Drive.

Tim Kelley
06-13-2013, 03:42 PM
I figured out the most aero way to attach the front number plate:

Greenbelt
06-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Rod Smith in ELITE mode. PS. Rod I saw you ride by the sidewalk outside my office at lunch time, but I didn't have time to run after you. Send me a text next time you're getting lunch at my building?
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1003120_517896534942528_753787714_n.jpg

PotomacCyclist
06-16-2013, 05:56 AM
ALERT: History post

Did the Crystal Ride (now Challenge Ride) replace the former Arlington & Alexandria Community Bike Ride? I think it did. That ride started in 2005 and continued through 2008 (I believe). The last ride was on June 7, 2008. That year, the Air Force Cycling Classic (now Air Force Association Cycling Classic) was held in May. The Classic started in 1998 but the Crystal Ride was not added until May 2008.

I guess everyone saw that it might be simpler to combine the two rides, or have the Crystal Ride replace the Community Bike Ride, especially since the Cycling Classic eventually moved to the month of June.

All of this took place before I was bitten by the cycling bug, so I had no idea any of this stuff took place back then. I really don't know how I managed to be so unaware at the time. But just a couple months after that final Community Bike Ride, I watched the 2008 Summer Olympics on TV and got inspired to start training for something, any sort of amateur race. Since I was already swimming, someone mentioned triathlons. Triathlons mean running, and cycling. For the cycling part, I didn't buy a bike immediately. I started doing some training on stationary bikes, especially as I recovered from runner's knee. (Note that after I started following a more structured training approach and included functional strength work, all the running injuries stopped happening.)

I finally bought a bike in the summer of 2009 and rode on a real bike for the first time since high school or 1st yr. of college. But I still managed to miss the Cycling Classic that year. I don't remember if I heard about it or just wasn't able to watch it.

http://alexandriava.gov/news_display.aspx?id=13152

http://whatsuparlington.blogspot.com/2007/05/june-3-arlington-alexandria-community.html

http://crystalcity.org/do/arlington-and-alexandria-community-bike-ride

Tim Kelley
06-16-2013, 06:22 AM
ALERT: History post

Did the Crystal Ride (now Challenge Ride) replace the former Arlington & Alexandria Community Bike Ride? I think it did.

Maybe similar timing, but "BikeDC: The Washington and Arlington County Community Bike Ride" replaced the old Arlington ride. Hopefully the Arlington Fun Ride can pick up some of the BikeDC slack....

PotomacCyclist
06-16-2013, 07:20 AM
But wasn't Bike DC around since 2001? Or maybe it was only a D.C. ride before 2005 or 2008/2009?

The Bike DC website is now offline. I don't know what that means for future editions. I think they have taken the website down before and then brought it back a few months before the event. After the cancellation this year, maybe it won't come back. One of the statements this year hinted that the cancellation was permanent, or maybe that was intended to send a message. The Bike DC Facebook page is still up, but no updates have been posted there.

dcv
06-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Rod Smith in ELITE mode...
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1003120_517896534942528_753787714_n.jpg

Awesome race face Rod, my goal is to have a pic like this in my portfolio...
http://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/LeMond-732_NX2.jpg

dasgeh
06-17-2013, 08:49 AM
I figured out the most aero way to attach the front number plate:

I figured out the most aero way to attach my son:

mstone
06-17-2013, 09:06 AM
I figured out the most aero way to attach my son:

I dunno, I think you need to pull the cowling down a bit more in front for full aero affect. Of course the whole thing is probably a violation of UCI regs.

PeteD
06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/115763-065-006f.jpg
Found this one of me. Seems I wasn't too happy about that last climb up towards Rosslyn as I thought.

Tim Kelley
06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Randomly stumbled across this:

"Winning the Air Force Challenge Ride" (http://stevedorst.com/blog/?p=677)

TwoWheelsDC
06-18-2013, 02:35 PM

So his definition of winning is coming in 8th place, six minutes behind the fastest rider? Also, someone needs to talk to him about his kit...Saxo team jersey with non-matching shorts, riding a Cannondale? That's bush league.

consularrider
06-18-2013, 02:45 PM
So his definition of winning is coming in 8th place, six minutes behind the fastest rider? Also, someone needs to talk to him about his kit...Saxo team jersey with non-matching shorts, riding a Cannondale? That's bush league.
But he has nice things to say about Tim. ;)

jopamora
06-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Someone was googling "Tim Kelley and nice"

ShawnoftheDread
06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
But he has nice things to say about Tim. ;)

Is that a criticism or a defense?

consularrider
06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Is that a criticism or a defense?
I like being vague?

Megabeth
06-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Oh, come on, we all know you have a google alert set up for "Tim Kelley" and "Winner"...

NicDiesel
06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
This isn't anyone from here, right?

PotomacCyclist
06-18-2013, 06:19 PM
I have to admit that it's me...

OK, maybe not. (I didn't even sign up for it this year.)

Vicegrip
06-18-2013, 06:46 PM
We have guys that win in DE too. DE is drivers Education and is great high speed fun on track but is not racing.