PDA

View Full Version : Free wheelin' freehub- consequences of putting a wheel away wet.

GuyContinental
05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
I had a new one the other night- I grabbed my wet-weather road tire wheelset for the CX and discovered that the freehub body had somehow lost contact with the hub splines (not sure what the pawl receptacles on the hub body are called)- thus the cassette rotated both directions... this makes pedaling tough.

I took it apart and discovered this:

Except that all of the pawls were stuck to the body. It was pretty simple to pop them out (note that one is half out here), clean the corrosion off of them and reinsert. I lubed the whole thing with Pro-link, made sure that they all reacted to the retention spring and re-assembled. I'm a little worried that the Pro-link is going to displace the grease in that bearing but I'll run the risk vs trying to monkey with the bearing seal.

How-ever did this happen? I'm pretty sure that I left the wheel drive side down in my workshop after a particularly wet ride, this allowed the water to pool and corrode the pauls adhering them to their recesses. Anywho, it's something to file away as far as spring cleaning goes; riding on the wheel today I think that more of the pawls are engaging than before, I may have been riding on only 2 or three all winter! It's now on my list as a check item when replacing a cassette, especially since it's so easy to get in there.

Dickie
05-03-2013, 09:59 AM
I've actually had something similar happen on my Neuvation wheels, but not due to corrosion. The snap ring broke and released the tension on the pawls basically locking the hub. It was a quick and easy fix, but I was advised by John Nugent himself to use Phil Wood Tenacious oil on the pawls as it is slightly heavier and viscous (more similar to grease) thus less likely to contaminate your bearings.

GuyContinental
05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I was advised by John Nugent himself to use Phil Wood Tenacious oil on the pawls as it is slightly heavier and viscous (more similar to grease) thus less likely to contaminate your bearings.

Ah, that's a good tip, my lube assortment doesn't include Tenacious Oil but it probably should- my choices were Prolink, polylube or Pedro's Syn grease and I went light for fear of fouling the pawls.