PDA

View Full Version : Post your ride pics

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Dirt
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Is the FreshBikes ride ever coming back to Arlington? My kids miss cheering...
Yarp! I think the first ride was Tuesday night. They'll be rolling through Arlington every week. :D

TwoWheelsDC
05-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Hopefully Dog will begin to understand that dog park fun awaits the end of the trip.

My dog was apprehensive about the trailer at first, but then figured out that something AWESOME always happened when he got in. He was ancient and pretty dang mellow at the time though, may he rest in peace.

My dog is the opposite of mellow...and he's a huge chicken, so just the trailer moving when he stepped on it freaked him out. So we made sure to ride straight to the park, despite the rain, rather than just riding around the block or something. My goal is to take him on an overnight ride to Harper's Ferry on the C&O, toward the end of the summer, so we'll need to make a lot of park runs between now and then!

jrenaut
05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
You could try what I did to get my kids used to the trailer - lots of snacks.

dasgeh
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
As Abritrator of ELITE, maybe you can give us some guidance on "dislikes" appropriate use? Maybe just as a way to show support for an injured colleague? Maybe renaming?

I agree with the injured colleague thing. It can get tricky -- just now I both liked a post (pics of lots of cool riders) and disliked it (pic of injured colleague).

At least buttons are fun!

jrenaut
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Can we get a new button that says "My feelings here are too nuanced for a button but not nuanced enough for a meaningful post, so I just want to show support for my colleague/s"?

consularrider
05-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Can we get a new button that says "My feelings here are too nuanced for a button but not nuanced enough for a meaningful post, so I just want to show support for my colleague/s"?
That might take those icons into a second line, oh the code! :eek:

mstone
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Maybe a pair of circled arms for "group hug/affirmation"?

Dirt
05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking that hitting the "Like" and "Dislike" button for the same post might say exactly what you're feeling. ;)

jrenaut
05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking that hitting the "Like" and "Dislike" button for the same post might say exactly what you're feeling. ;)
You underestimate my nuance.

Dirt
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
You underestimate my nuance.
That's where the Elite button comes in. You can add some "Unlike" and "Undislike" buttons in for follow-up...

Love,

Dirt

jrenaut
05-09-2013, 10:59 AM
That's where the Elite button comes in. You can add some "Unlike" and "Undislike" buttons in for follow-up...

Love,

Dirt
I won't be satisfied until there are three or four rows of buttons to cover every conceivable thought I might want to convey. We can communicate purely through the buttons.

Subby
05-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Last pic from this weekend - MAH RIB!

americancyclo
05-09-2013, 12:21 PM
and "Undislike"
I like that once clicked, this dislike becomes undislike.

mstone
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
I want to be able to dislike a dislike.

dbb
05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I won't be satisfied until there are three or four rows of buttons to cover every conceivable thought I might want to convey. We can communicate purely through the buttons.

Isn't that what the happy face emoticons do?

americancyclo
05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I want to be able to dislike a dislike.

A player may shrug a shrug or Shrodem a Shrodem, but may never shrug a Shrodem or Shrodem a shrug.

consularrider
05-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Isn't that what the happy face emoticons do?
But then you actually have make the effort to make a reply. Takes way to much time away from work. :p

mstone
05-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Last pic from this weekend - MAH RIB!

Unexpected forum functionality: this post has now been replaced with the message "this post has been downranked". I think the dislike button needs a tweak.

Tim Kelley
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Unexpected forum functionality: this post has now been replaced with the message "this post has been downranked". I think the dislike button needs a tweak.

Interesting...do we want to have a downvote system in place? If not, I can try to have our TOP MEN tweak it.

dbb
05-09-2013, 03:31 PM
A player may shrug a shrug or Shrodem a Shrodem, but may never shrug a Shrodem or Shrodem a shrug.

I think I am way too old for ths!

americancyclo
05-09-2013, 03:45 PM

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/dbtech/thanks/images/likes.png americancyclo (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/member.php?u=588) liked this post and voila, now I can see it again!

KLizotte
05-09-2013, 05:27 PM
On a serious note, any newbie coming on to this site who views a ton of "dislikes" for someone describing their recent accident/injuries would assume that the regulars don't like seeing those kind of posts and would walk away with the impression that we are not sympathetic or nice people.

I think the dislike button should be used for the spammers and trolls only.

I like someone's idea of a "hugs and kisses" button though. That would be far more transparent as to what emotion the user is trying to convey.

mstone
05-09-2013, 05:29 PM
I think the dislike button should be used for the spammers and trolls.

Note that there's an exclamation point in a triangle button for reporting inappropriate posts.

And since I'm trying to be a good person, I managed to refrain from "disliking" the idea that people would think we're mean. :)

KLizotte
05-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Note that there's an exclamation point in a triangle button for reporting inappropriate posts.

I always thought the ! triangle was a coding error; not something we were supposed to use!

lancito brazofuerte
05-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, the dislike button is a bit vague. Does it mean "the guy who posted this is a jerk"? Or "Oh noes. Bad stuff happened. I don't like bad stuff"?

ShawnoftheDread
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
We all clearly have way too much time on our hands. Let's go out and get jobs as litigators.

bobco85
05-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm saving up using all three (like, dislike, and ELITE) for a post that I find enjoyable, detestable, yet bada$$ at the same time. It'd be like a really horrible joke that you still laugh at (one you feel ashamed for laughing at) and has some superhuman element to it.

mstone
05-09-2013, 07:56 PM

Successful muddy-trail test ride of the little guy's fenders; we should be all set for bike camping on the towpath this summer. Side note: it's ridiculously difficult to find 20" fenders.

Amalitza
05-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Yeah, the dislike button is a bit vague. Does it mean "the guy who posted this is a jerk"? Or "Oh noes. Bad stuff happened. I don't like bad stuff"?

It'll very quickly come to mean what we use it to mean. So long as we mostly don't start calling each other jerks for what we post, it'll mean "ouch, that looks painful" and "yougottabekiddingme, 25mph winds AGAIN?"

jabberwocky
05-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Side note: it's ridiculously difficult to find 20" fenders.I'd have thought most recumbent oriented shops carry them (since lots of recumbents run 20" wheels).

mstone
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
I'd have thought most recumbent oriented shops carry them (since lots of recumbents run 20" wheels).

There are some planet bike ones with separate front & back in different sizes. Whether for that reason or because they say "recumbent" on them, they're fairly expensive for a kid's bike. You're also not guaranteed to find both a 20" front and a 20" rear in stock (larger rear wheels are common, and a lot of places stock only some combinations). There are others which seem to be custom for particular kinds of recumbents, and it doesn't look like they'd fit a normal diamond frame. I ended up with some SKS bluemels which are presumably intended for regular bikes (they come in pairs in 20, 24, 26, and 28 inch sizes, in various widths). But those don't seem to very available outside of europe...

dasgeh
05-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Why not just rename it to "Oh, no"? Then we'll get the option to Un-Oh-No posts that we've oh-no'ed

Subby
05-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Okay, okay...last one. Went to see the orthopedist today. He didn't like the angle of the x-ray the hospital took. It showed a thin, almost hairline, fracture in my clavicle. So he took another x-ray. New image shows butterfly fracture and significant displacement (3cm).

Surgery next week. No bike for 3 months. F Me. :(

consularrider
05-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Major ouch - I feel your pain. :( Want to hit the "Oh No" button.

KayakCyndi
05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Definitely warrants an "Oh-No". So sorry. Hope it all heals up quickly.

rcannon100
05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Sucks! Been there!! Behave! You will live with how your bone heals for the rest of your life - take time to heal it well.

I smashed mine flipping over handlebars on a beach in San Fran. Landed on that wet sand right at the edge where the waves barely reach. You know, the sand that is as firm as concrete. :rolleyes:

txgoonie
05-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Seeing x-rays like that makes my stomach sink. Ow ow ow. :-(

OneEighth
05-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Hang on.
3 months sounds a bit extreme.
My collarbone surgery involved putting things back together with a roughly 5" bolt down the middle and sutures wrapped around the broken area to hold some of the stray bits close. I was commuting and carrying a backpack within a month or so, no worries.
Good luck.

Rod Smith
05-10-2013, 06:26 PM
You're not a real cyclist til you've busted a collarbone.

Rod Smith
05-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Aggressive panhandler.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/DC_/DSC06414.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/DC_/DSC06414.jpg.html)

Dirt
05-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Ouch Subby.... Sorry to hear it. Hang in there!

Dirt
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Buttercups
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/8727074444_c7b6d30c53_b.jpg

KLizotte
05-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Subby's return to normal will depend on whether they put in permanent screws/pins or temporary ones. The former allows you to return to normal activities a lot faster but you're stuck with potentially setting off the scanners at the airport for the rest of your life; the latter takes longer but may require minor surgery to remove them and you're stuck in a sling/cast longer. Neither is any fun.

Hope you aren't in too much pain Subby. :(

TwoWheelsDC
05-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Honeybadger6 just finished the Cap2Cap century in Richmond (her first!). Although the forecast called for thunderstorms, we saw nary a drop of rain, and it ended up being warm and pretty sunny all day. It was a little breezy, which made the last third or so a bit of a bear, but Meg managed about a 15.5mph moving average.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7315/8728998919_68be3c8013.jpg

Vicegrip
05-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Buttercups
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/8727074444_c7b6d30c53_b.jpgWell what do you know? Sometimes the answer to the age old question is "Yes, it is a banana in my pocket".

I think we can also see Tim's speed secret too. He has a string pull windup motor built in. Pull the tab and zing there goes another KOM.

DaveK
05-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Well what do you know? Sometimes the answer to the age old question is "Yes, it is a banana in my pocket".

I think we can also see Tim's speed secret too. He has a string pull windup motor built in. Pull the tab and zing there goes another KOM.

That's just his Assos.

brendan
05-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Honeybadger6 just finished the Cap2Cap century in Richmond (her first!). Although the forecast called for thunderstorms, we saw nary a drop of rain, and it ended up being warm and pretty sunny all day. It was a little breezy, which made the last third or so a bit of a bear, but Meg managed about a 15.5mph moving average.

Love the cap to cap! Hope y'all stopped to get some bike bling at the lunch stop!

Brendan

Dirt
05-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I know I say this a lot... I'd forgotten how much fun that is. It blows my mind that a bike that big can move through the woods so well. My stoker, Julian, is truly gifted. We had a BLAST yesterday and can't wait to get out on it again.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/8732726803_dfa227540f_b.jpg

The tandem is officially DIRTY! May it never be clean again. :D

Dirt.

Honeybadger6
05-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Love the cap to cap! Hope y'all stopped to get some bike bling at the lunch stop!

Brendan

There was bling?! I didn't get any bling!! Dammit! Still, I crushed the ride like any badass honeybadger would do. AND I got the free beer at the end, so it was worth it! Shout out to my husband for letting me draft through that wall-o-wind!

Dickie
05-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Okay, okay...last one. Went to see the orthopedist today. He didn't like the angle of the x-ray the hospital took. It showed a thin, almost hairline, fracture in my clavicle. So he took another x-ray. New image shows butterfly fracture and significant displacement (3cm).

That so sucks Subby! Did you get a chance to check out the bike yet? Don't be a stranger on the forum just because you're not riding.

KLizotte
05-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Sounds like a good excuse to me to buy a trike. I'm sure your wife will understand :rolleyes:

On the plus side your fracture looks clean (not a crazy corkscrew break), is at the end of the bone, and will be an easy fix. You'll be able to sleep easier once its pinned or screwed back together.

I just found out when talking to mom yesterday that my dad broke three ribs and doesn't know how he did it (he's in his 70s). She finally convinced him to see a doc about the large bruise on his chest and voila. I guess those suckers break easier than I thought.

Subby
05-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Finally closing the loop on this one. 2 hours of surgery, one titanium plate, and seven screws later and I am all fixed up. Post-op recovery lasted 4-5 hours longer than expected because they went crazy on the anesthesia.

Required hideous x-ray below. See everyone in a few months!

brendan
05-15-2013, 05:53 PM
That looks more interesting than my x-rays. Uh...so did they not put screws into the middle two positions...and then put a screw in at 90 degrees through bone w/o a plate?

Subby
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
That looks more interesting than my x-rays. Uh...so did they not put screws into the middle two positions...and then put a screw in at 90 degrees through bone w/o a plate?
Hard to tell from the film but the smaller screw is holding a large splinter fragment in place and is attached to one of the two larger bones. It's a sh!tshow. :)

jrenaut
05-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Hard to tell from the film but the smaller screw is holding a large splinter fragment in place and is attached to one of the two larger bones. It's a sh!tshow. :)
So, what you're saying is you're a cyborg? Awesome.

KLizotte
05-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Wow, does it hurt?

Subby
05-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Wow, does it hurt?
Yeah - way more than I thought it would, too. I was feeling pretty good about not having to take any of the percocet they gave me last week but I'm 3 or 4 into the bottle now.

Broken ribs seem like they are healing quickly, so that's a plus!

KLizotte
05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
You can really milk this for Father's Day ;)

bobco85
05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Finally closing the loop on this one. 2 hours of surgery, one titanium plate, and seven screws later and I am all fixed up. Post-op recovery lasted 4-5 hours longer than expected because they went crazy on the anesthesia.

Required hideous x-ray below. See everyone in a few months!

Two things:

1. I am glad that the procedure went well and wish you a full and speedy recovery.
2. If you or anyone you know has a 3D printer, they need to use this to make a coat rack out of the shape of the bone and screws. It would be awesome!

KLizotte
05-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Is your metalwear temporary or permanent?

Dirt
05-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Ouch!

You need one of these BIGTIME! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_rUve3iPQ

Dirt
05-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Last night's mountain bike ride at Lake Fairfax was quite casual!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7291/8743333380_d6ecf6ba3c_b.jpg
Seriously fun time with Jabberwocky.

Subby
05-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Is your metalwear temporary or permanent?
Temporary - should come out in a year or two according to the doctor. Once it does I am going to affix it to the front of my bike, mustache-style!

vvill
05-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Titanium is truly elite.

I have some permanent titanium bone screws in my right shoulder...

ShawnoftheDread
05-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Titanium is truly elite.

I have some permanent titanium bone screws in my right shoulder...

Obviously you need a new frame to match.

vvill
05-16-2013, 10:44 AM
My latest cycling-related goal is actually to not buy a new bike/frame for at least 6 months. Now to go find some inspirational quotes about resolve...

consularrider
05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
My latest cycling-related goal is actually to not buy a new bike/frame for at least 6 months. Now to go find some inspirational quotes about resolve...\
But honestly, I've been good for almost three years ... ;) :p

culimerc
05-16-2013, 11:17 AM
My latest cycling-related goal is actually to not buy a new bike/frame for at least 6 months. Now to go find some inspirational quotes about resolve...

Dont worry NAHBS isnt until Feburary and its in Charlotte NC next year.

DismalScientist
05-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Well, none of my bike purchases have been "new."

vvill
05-16-2013, 11:24 AM
"new" of course is new, to me.

Note of course bikes/frames does not include new wheelsets. I've only bought 1 of those so far this year.

KLizotte
05-16-2013, 02:15 PM

You're not helping the economy with that attitude buster....

Rod Smith
05-16-2013, 11:54 PM
CCT, Potomac River
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/DC_/DSC06451.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/DC_/DSC06451.jpg.html)

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/DC_/DSC06445.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/DC_/DSC06445.jpg.html)

culimerc
05-17-2013, 10:11 AM

I would've worn the orange or the red BTWD shirt, but they were sacrificed to the bike cleaning gods

vvill
05-17-2013, 10:21 AM
You're not helping the economy with that attitude buster....

But I already own two 2013 model bikes :(

KLizotte
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
But I already own two 2013 model bikes :(

OK, you've been relieved of duty. Carry on.

vvill
05-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Well, it should be easier to not get a new one soon. Had a little accident (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/485598_709222018421_1718968762_n.jpg) on the way home Sunday.

consularrider
05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
What is it with collar bones and ribs this month?

KLizotte
05-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, it should be easier to not get a new one soon. Had a little accident (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/485598_709222018421_1718968762_n.jpg) on the way home Sunday.

Oh noooooo. That looks way painful and inconvenient. Do you have to have surgery? Perhaps Dickie should change from wood to titanium parts. So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope all other body parts are in working order.

Vicegrip
05-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Real sorry to see that, I hope you heal quickly and well.

Subby
05-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Ugggh. Really sorry to hear that. Surgery?

vvill
05-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks all. Ortho said it should heal naturally without surgery so I'm leaving it for now. The same advice was given to me when I fractured my elbow in 2011 and that healed fine by itself.

Dickie
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
That sucks vvill but good to hear that surgery isn't necessary. Is your bike damaged, and how long before you can ride again?... if you are like Consularrider it will be a few days right?

vvill
05-22-2013, 10:53 AM
The bike seems ok although I haven't examined it closely yet. My wife now knows how to take off a QR wheel. :)

I hopped on a stationary bike (not a bike on a trainer) for 0.2mi this morning... mostly just for some leg/knee movement. Seemed ok but I won't really be doing anything for a few weeks - my follow-up appt in is 4 weeks and I'm planning to take it real easy.

vvill
05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Honestly the worst thing about stuff like this is kneejerk reactions/misgivings some people have about cycling being prohibitively dangerous. Many people in my office know I commute by bike. I imagine that coming in with your arm in a sling from an accident (even if it wasn't a commute) can reinforce those fears for others.

PeteD
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
From this weekend - Storming of Thunder Ridge:
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1516.jpg
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1518.jpg
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1540.jpg

KLizotte
05-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks all. Ortho said it should heal naturally without surgery so I'm leaving it for now. The same advice was given to me when I fractured my elbow in 2011 and that healed fine by itself.

Just curious how it can heal without pins since it is completely detached. Amazing how bones heal.

bobco85
05-22-2013, 04:11 PM
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1516.jpg
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1518.jpg
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1540.jpg

I love the foggy pic! Very moody.

brendan
05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Just curious how it can heal without pins since it is completely detached. Amazing how bones heal.

Yeah, on a mid-shaft facture ,the muscles/ligaments plus the weight of the arm pull the two broken ends apart. If everything goes well, a large mass called a callus forms in-between and around the bone ends and calcifies enough over a few months to be almost as strong as the original bone. Over a period of one to two years post-injury it further calcifies and reorganized into a zig-zag of normal bone.

And that's why you end up with a permanent bump. Unless you get surgery, then you can trade a bump for a scar and a patch of numb skin. :) In either case, I just call it my bike tattoo...

Brendan

JimF22003
05-23-2013, 09:23 AM

Hey, I did that ride! I'm still in the process of drying out :(

PeteD
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
The descent on Rt 43 is now known as "The Scariest 9 minutes of my life."

--Pete

Mikey
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM

I'm sure Detroit also has a tons of old car parts just lying around on the ground.
Pictures from the Washington Navy Yard.

Dirt
05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Escorted a family of Canadian immigrants across a busy bridge safely.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/8809023414_bb04d3fd56_b.jpg
There was a rather long line of cars behind me. One woman doubled back and thanked me TWICE for taking care of this little family.

Duckling and Gosling season always takes a little extra care.

KLizotte
05-23-2013, 10:27 PM
There was a rather long line of cars behind me. One woman doubled back and thanked me TWICE for taking care of this little family.

Just out of curiosity, was the woman on a bike or in a car?

Dirt
05-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, was the woman on a bike or in a car?
She was in a car.

FFX_Hinterlands
05-24-2013, 01:00 PM
My bike, toting flowers.

dbb
05-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Who gets credit for this photo?

Dirt
05-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Who gets credit for this photo?
My friend LTTL took it. She and I had a fun morning goofing off on the bike.

dcv
05-25-2013, 06:13 AM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/8809023414_bb04d3fd56_b.jpg

Duckling and Gosling season always takes a little extra care.

I love this pic

sjclaeys
05-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Crunching cicadas near Orlean.

ebubar
05-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Jamestown Island

Rod Smith
05-25-2013, 06:02 PM
ATHA Rivers to Rockets Rally
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/ATHA%20Ride%20May%2025%202013/DSC06535.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/bike/ATHA%20Ride%20May%2025%202013/DSC06535.jpg.html)

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/ATHA%20Ride%20May%2025%202013/DSC06593.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/bike/ATHA%20Ride%20May%2025%202013/DSC06593.jpg.html)

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/ATHA%20Ride%20May%2025%202013/DSC06606.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/bike/ATHA%20Ride%20May%2025%202013/DSC06606.jpg.html)

ronwalf
05-25-2013, 11:17 PM
My own ATHA pics which I am too lazy to format nicely for the forums:
https://plus.google.com/110405663431347771650/posts/QN3pgrYUBMz

And that turtle was rockin' (and huge). Rod caught it's better half - when I rode by it had its butt up in the air mooning everyone.

Rod Smith
05-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Bringing a saddle home. Oxon Hill Farm.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/DSC06663.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/bike/DSC06663.jpg.html)

Honeybadger6
05-26-2013, 06:29 PM
TwoWheelsDC finishing Mountains of Misery. 10,000+ feet of elevation in the century... gross. Still super proud!

TwoWheelsDC
05-26-2013, 07:31 PM
A view of the MoM finish from across the valley, around mile 90ish. The climb basically goes to not-quite-the-top of the set of mountains in the middle.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/8846547424_67a165aa09.jpg

Rod Smith
05-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Memorial Day ride with Jeff, Steve and Mike.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/DSC06674.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/bike/DSC06674.jpg.html)

dcv
05-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Bike MS training ride with my son on Mountain Road in Purcellville.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130526_170145_zps64499c1c.jpg
In 2 weeks my son and I are riding Bike MS for a friend's mother-in-law who has MS. We've been training for a 50 & 25 mile ride over 2 days. We're helping to raise money for a great cause, we would appreciate any donations.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/VABBikeEvents?px=12191336&pg=personal&fr_id=21059

Thanks,
V

KayakCyndi
05-27-2013, 05:11 PM
S24O along the C&O Canal with Dave.

Viaje with big tires plus rack and panniers.

Dave on the trail.

Greenbelt
05-27-2013, 06:33 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.491493157584073.1073741844.307014479365276&type=1

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/429800_491493247584064_1723269612_n.jpg

ronwalf
05-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Peach Tree Sugarloaf loop (http://app.strava.com/activities/56678710) up near Clarksburg, MD:

More pictures here (https://plus.google.com/u/0/110405663431347771650/posts/Jrb2PvdW9V5).

Dirt
05-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Bridge
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5334/8848065706_c52a93d7b7_b.jpg

rcannon100
05-27-2013, 10:26 PM
We forgot our bicycles. Memorial weekend hike

Shenandoah River Raymond Andy Guest Park (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/and.shtml) (5 mile park along the river. Excellent for canoeing).

Speaking of which, I am shopping for a new pocket camera ('cause I cant get this one to focus - its old and busted). Any recommendations?

Greenbelt
05-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Roosevelt Ride in Greenbelt

https://vimeo.com/67100218

dasgeh
05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Speaking of which, I am shopping for a new pocket camera ('cause I cant get this one to focus - its old and busted). Any recommendations?

If you're a Costco member, I like buying cameras (and computers) there. The prices are usually (pretty much) the lowest you'll find, and the return policy is great. Last time we bought a new point and shoot, we took home 3 different models, then returned the 2 we liked the least. We ended up with the Panasonic model that was around $120 and we love it.

jrenaut
05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/8857337703_64c15a4490.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/8857337703/)
Memorial Day ride (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/8857337703/) by thetejon (http://www.flickr.com/people/thetejon/), on Flickr

For cameras, check out Steve's Digicams (http://www.steves-digicams.com/). Best camera reviews I've seen by orders of magnitude.

TwoWheelsDC
05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
A couple more from Mountains of Misery:

The ridge in the background was the first real "climb". 2.4 miles at 8.3% average grade, but there were numerous short stretches in the high teens:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5456/8869791680_be9dfb13f6.jpg

No shortage of mountains:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/8846554670_3c48ae1231.jpg

Stopped on the way down for wine-tasting (well, I slept in the car, wife tasted the wine). The final climb started in the lowest point in the valley, about 1/4th the way in from the left side of the frame, then snaked up along the wavy ridge on the right. This overlook is on a road that paralleled the course we rode up on, and sits about 800 feet below the summit of the climb.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3752/8846541314_d838f813a1_c.jpg

rcannon100
05-28-2013, 07:13 PM
For cameras, check out Steve's Digicams (http://www.steves-digicams.com/). Best camera reviews I've seen by orders of magnitude.

Am loving the "Best Lifeproof Cameras" reviews. Think that's gotta be a thing - the camera gets tossed in my bike bag or my hiking bag or my beach bag and gets beat up. Gone through two pocket cameras recently and I am sure the problem was along the line of getting dirt or sand in the lens mechanism. A camera that can take the beating of a bike bag ride is definitely a premium!

dcv
05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
wet PM commute
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130528_184413_zpsd9eee915.jpg

americancyclo
05-29-2013, 08:08 AM
wet PM commute
ewww.
Residents Told to Avoid Four Mile Run After Sewage Spill (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Part-of-Arlington-Boulevard-Closed-After-Accident-208987711.html)

bobco85
05-29-2013, 08:33 AM
ewww.
Residents Told to Avoid Four Mile Run After Sewage Spill (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Part-of-Arlington-Boulevard-Closed-After-Accident-208987711.html)

Luckily the affected area of the accident was downstream from this pic (Wilson Blvd underpass on the W&OD, I think).

Also, that accident is in a problematic spot on Route 50 because drivers tend to speed over the short hill before Fillmore where they have limited sight distance, thus giving them less time to react should the stoplight be red and/or there be stopped traffic (judging from the location of the accident, this is very likely the cause of this accident). Of course, this is an issue that could be easily resolved with better driving habits (understatement of the millenium).

ShawnoftheDread
05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
wet PM commute
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130528_184413_zpsd9eee915.jpg

So, did you go through or backtrack around?

dcv
05-29-2013, 09:23 AM
So, did you go through or backtrack around?

I just went back up and crossed at street / grade. This underpass on the WOD floods a lot and there's a fork in the trail about fifty feet back that goes up to the street. The water was deep and moving fast, would've been swept out to the Potomac.

OneEighth
05-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I just went back up and crossed at street / grade. This underpass on the WOD floods a lot and there's a fork in the trail about fifty feet back that goes up to the street. The water was deep and moving fast, would've been swept out to the Potomac.

Sissy.

consularrider
05-29-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm thinking at the center point you had at least a foot of water if not two feet covering the trail. Not as bad as the eight feet that were there after one of the hurricanes. And you never know what's been floating downstream and is under water there and frequently can't see it.

jopamora
05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking at the center point you had at least a foot of water if not two feet covering the trail. Not as bad as the eight feet that were there after one of the hurricanes. And you never know what's been floating downstream and is under water there and frequently can't see it.

alligators?

bikeeveryday
05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickyalbores/sets/72157633789831134/

rcannon100
05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Picture of Rootchopper failing to get a picture of me.

dcv
05-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks to Dirt for leading the Wed night shop ride. I love riding with Dirt, he takes the best pictures of us riding.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/8885184322_d878f89e70_o-Copy_zpsc8d69962.jpg
From the left: PeteD, eminva

Hey OneEighth, no gears but can coast - partial credit?

bikeeveryday
05-30-2013, 09:41 AM
DCV - nice looking rig. What is it?

bikeeveryday
05-30-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickyalbores/sets/72157633789831134/

One of the better shots from yesterday morning's ride...

dcv
05-30-2013, 12:00 PM
DCV - nice looking rig. What is it?

Thanks Ricky, it's a Felt Breed SSCX
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?5047-What-Bike-for-NoVa-Epic&p=53418#post53418

culimerc
05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cITrMFJF0

Last Years Tour de Fat. acc and culimerc at about 2;10

bobco85
05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
I finally got around to visiting the rest of the Anacostia Tributary Trail System and Lake Artemesia this past Sunday (got a good sunburn from it). Here's the video I took of it:

http://youtu.be/iUbogQJM04E

I liked biking on those trails, but i did notice that the Paint Branch trail has a lot of 90 degree turns and forks where I'd be lost if it weren't for the blue markings.

ronwalf
05-31-2013, 03:16 PM
I liked biking on those trails, but i did notice that the Paint Branch trail has a lot of 90 degree turns and forks where I'd be lost if it weren't for the blue markings.

I'm not sure if you saw the signs, but the swamp and tree stumps on the northern end of the Paint Branch trail (4:05 in the video) are remnants of the 2001 tornado (http://www.astro.umd.edu/~white/images/tornado/) that ripped through campus.

dcv
05-31-2013, 04:33 PM
JDRF real estate games charity crit - I placed second in my age group

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/jdrf035_zps86daab8d.jpg

Red touch yellow, kills a fellow

TwoWheelsDC
05-31-2013, 04:37 PM

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/jdrf035_zps86daab8d.jpg

Where do you find info on when/where stuff like this is going on? I would totally watch/participate in stuff like this, but I have no idea where to get details. Every time I ride my Cannondale, I think, "fast, inexpensive bike that I don't mind if I crash? hmmm, this would be fun to try a road race with!"

dcv
05-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Where do you find info on when/where stuff like this is going on? I would totally watch/participate in stuff like this, but I have no idea where to get details. Every time I ride my Cannondale, I think, "fast, inexpensive bike that I don't mind if I crash? hmmm, this would be fun to try a road race with!"

Lucky for me this was a work event, my firm particpates & competes in the JDRF real estate games every year. The bike race and golf challenge are separate events but all the rest are on June 13 at AU.

rcannon100
05-31-2013, 04:56 PM
Windy Run Calendar http://windy-run.blogspot.com/p/test.html

Potomac Pedalers Calendar (now includes non PP rides) http://www.potomacpedalers.org/events/event_list.asp

Oxon Hill Calendar http://ohbike.org/events/index.htm

There was another local calendar for local and shop rides - just started - but did not bookmark it.

bobco85
06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure if you saw the signs, but the swamp and tree stumps on the northern end of the Paint Branch trail (4:05 in the video) are remnants of the 2001 tornado (http://www.astro.umd.edu/~white/images/tornado/) that ripped through campus.

Wow, I had no idea it had happened there!

OneEighth
06-02-2013, 12:45 AM

Shifty.
And quick, apparently.

PeteD
06-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Finally made it today. Was a cramp fest almost the entire way back home.

dcv
06-02-2013, 04:59 AM
Congrats Pete, nice ride

dcv
06-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Shifty.
And quick, apparently.

We should organize a fixed gear crit at RFK like we talked about. The event organizers said that security shut them down when they were scouting the race course, maybe we can do as many laps as we can before they shut us down. Anyone else interested?

mstone
06-02-2013, 05:30 PM
3006 First 100km ride with this bike. It was a good trip, but a bad day for a quiet ride in the country. (Some kinda bike race, and Herndon dropped a carnival on the W&OD.)

Tim Kelley
06-03-2013, 09:55 AM

You like the Danny Shane? Did you pick that up locally or order online?

Dirt
06-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I've been kinda busy. :)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5461/8924323863_0b6cac490c_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2873/8924909240_ecb4eb6014_b.jpg

dcv
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
amazing ride and pics

Dirt
06-05-2013, 09:23 AM
amazing ride and pics
Not sure I could ride solo there all the time. There is sooooo much nothing. I either need a great group of people to ride with or some turns and swoopies to ride on. There were some sections where I got REALLY lonely.

Skratch Labs moments: I'm toward the end of a 30 mile stretch of the roughest roads that were directly into an 18mph headwind. Needless to say I was hurting... both mentally and physically. I reached into my feedbag and pulled out a home made apple pie and almost cried at how good it tasted and made me feel. At mile 170 I came across a guy who had been waiting for his support crew for over 2 hours. His bike was broken beyond repair. He hadn't been hurt. He almost exploded when I tossed him a pie.

americancyclo
06-05-2013, 10:41 AM
He almost exploded when I tossed him a pie.
Even though I didn't have a finalized recipe, I still really enjoyed the pie I got a few weeks back. I'd venture most people are surprised by your generosity and goodwill, Pete. Fantastic writeup, by the way.

Dirt
06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
ACC, DCV and 1/8 are in that group. That's the Wednesday night FreshBikes Mosaic ride.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/8963838071_f9805ecfb2_b.jpg

Dickie
06-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Congrats! Love that Jersey!

PeteD
06-06-2013, 08:13 PM
You like the Danny Shane? Did you pick that up locally or order online?

I got this one at their booth at Bike Expo NYC before the Five Boroughs tour. I found one at FB-Clarendon on the Clearance rack, and grabbed that asap. It's a snug fit in the L for me, which is really good now that it's not winter and I don't need layers. Since all I have to compare it to is Primal and Sugoi, I prefer it to both of those.

Dirt
06-07-2013, 03:35 PM
New bike bag finds its way home with me. :D
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8140/8979643345_f649515ca2_b.jpg

ronwalf
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8140/8979643345_f649515ca2_b.jpg

You're a role model, Pete. I hope that soon we'll all be riding around with our spare tire flapping in the wind.

Dirt
06-07-2013, 03:54 PM
You're a role model, Pete. I hope that soon we'll all be riding around with our spare tire flapping in the wind.
Getting out there is easy for me. I have stuff to do and the thought of jumping in a car to do it is monumentally depressing to me. Being on the bike is play time for me. I can't help but want to share that kind of joy. That's why the camera comes out sooooo easily.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5341/8979647561_e5601c357e_b.jpg
Plus I get covered parking at Freshbikes.

Dirt
06-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Seriously hungry and skipped breakfast before heading out to HP for a long-sih time trial. Just grabbed a bite on the run:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/9011435125_62c87e6406_b.jpg

Mikey
06-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Some shots of yesterday's storm:

dcv
06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
the deer are getting pretty ballsy
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130614_071231_zps69de9ca8.jpg

Steve
06-14-2013, 01:29 PM

I saw some on the Custis two days ago right off the trail, just beyond the Marriott west of Nash, in that little grassy area down below the trail.

As an aside, do you think car drivers have the exact same picture and caption, just replacing deer with cyclists.

mstone
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
I saw some on the Custis two days ago right off the trail, just beyond the Marriott west of Nash, in that little grassy area down below the trail.

As an aside, do you think car drivers have the exact same picture and caption, just replacing deer with cyclists.

Why would the cyclists be grazing?

culimerc
06-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Why would the cyclists be grazing?
You've never seen me in action at a Sushi Buffet have you....

Dirt
06-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Ready to race!
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3825/9044762374_6210537cb3_b.jpg

hozn
06-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Ready to race!

Wasn't someone asking about fixed-gear races/rides on the forums recently? :)

PeteD
06-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Alexandria-Roubaix... Though I did not continue onto the smooth stones of Road Bike Doom just after..
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130614_1544571-e1371250811750-1024x576.jpg

If I were not now working from home, or if I took my car to work, this would have been my commute home. Article F on "Why I love my bike."
http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130614_1650521-1024x576.jpg

Dirt
06-14-2013, 08:24 PM
I feel bad for the buggers. The ones I've seen along the W&OD look pretty healthy. We saw a VERY young fawn and her mom grazing at about that distance on Wednesday morning when we were rolling out. We saw a small group in someone's yard on the Wednesday FreshBikes shop ride. They were about a block from their #1 predator (Rt. 123).

They're losing habitat in this area pretty quickly. Also losing non-vehicular predators.

mstone
06-14-2013, 10:07 PM
They're losing habitat in this area pretty quickly. Also losing non-vehicular predators.

They didn't have habitat in this area when it was farm country; the lack of predators is the big factor, including hunters.

ronwalf
06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
The Proteus Pastry Peloton passes a disgruntled deer. (The Shortcake Bakery won't let her in the door).

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-27EqCjJGRIg/Ubzrpq-6EvI/AAAAAAAABJo/v0dWVl53zsQ/w543-h724-no/100_1937.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o7qgSvb3DmA/Ubzrr088VqI/AAAAAAAABJw/45pFS_nmB9I/w965-h724-no/100_1938.JPG
(https://plus.google.com/110405663431347771650/posts/U6w6tDaYTZL)

Rod Smith
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
If you didn't do the 13 mile option at the Patuxent Rural Legacy Ride today, you missed out on a couple miles of dirt road and this nice wooden bridge.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/DSC06724.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/DSC06724.jpg.html)

bikenurse
06-15-2013, 08:51 PM
The Proteus Pastry Peloton passes a disgruntled deer. (The Shortcake Bakery won't let her in the door).

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-27EqCjJGRIg/Ubzrpq-6EvI/AAAAAAAABJo/v0dWVl53zsQ/w543-h724-no/100_1937.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o7qgSvb3DmA/Ubzrr088VqI/AAAAAAAABJw/45pFS_nmB9I/w965-h724-no/100_1938.JPG
(https://plus.google.com/110405663431347771650/posts/U6w6tDaYTZL) Bambi (spotted fawn) had run into the woods by the time you snapped your photo. No wonder momma was disgruntled!

dcv
06-15-2013, 09:06 PM
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130615_191930_zps813de342.jpg

TwoWheelsDC
06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Lovely day for a Poolesville loop:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/9062571044_99ab4a90a5.jpg

Http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5342/9060341095_9da547c933.jpg

jrenaut
06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5483/9070502513_6be9491b26.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/9070502513/)
Hands-free on the fixie (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/9070502513/) by thetejon (http://www.flickr.com/people/thetejon/), on Flickr

dbb
06-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Cupid's Garden Yarn Bomb at Wilson and Oak

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/YarnBombArlington6_zpsfa83d4e6.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/YarnBombArlington6_zpsfa83d4e6.jpg.html)

Yarn Bombed Trees and Bike Rack at Wilson and Lynn

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/YarnBombArlington17_zps6d58cb89.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/YarnBombArlington17_zps6d58cb89.jpg.html)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/YarnBombArlington18_zps9044d01b.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/YarnBombArlington18_zps9044d01b.jpg.html)

KLizotte
06-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Anyone know what happens to these yarn "bombs" after a couple of weeks in the weather? Are they just left to rot away or do the creators take them away before they get icky? I'm totally cool with the idea if it's the latter.

I've always seen photos of them when they are first put up but have often wondered what happens after the photographers are gone. I don't think I've seen one in person.

consularrider
06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Bike Rack at Wilson and Lynn

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/YarnBombArlington17_zps6d58cb89.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/YarnBombArlington17_zps6d58cb89.jpg.html)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/YarnBombArlington18_zps9044d01b.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/YarnBombArlington18_zps9044d01b.jpg.html)
Now if only all the bike racks had this kind of covering to protect the finish on our bikes! ;)

ShawnoftheDread
06-19-2013, 09:37 PM
What's with this guy bogarting my paint scheme?

dcv
06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
What's with this guy bogarting my paint scheme?

i saw this guy in the morning, he's converted to fixed. giving you any ideas?

jrenaut
06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
I need to restart my conversation with you on a Hains Point Pedal Wrench Fixie Party. I hate my rear derailleur and want it to go away. I still can't buy another bike until we buy a bigger house, but I can at least plan...

dcv
06-19-2013, 10:22 PM
I need to restart my conversation with you on a Hains Point Pedal Wrench Fixie Party. I hate my rear derailleur and want it to go away. I still can't buy another bike until we buy a bigger house, but I can at least plan...

just let me know when you're ready

ShawnoftheDread
06-19-2013, 10:57 PM

Legs aren't up to doing my commute fixed yet, but I too am ready for that fixie party.

eminva
06-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Scouts rode 33 miles. I think you can see the line of scouts around the bend in this photo. Any of you on the W&OD, Custis and Mount Vernon Trails, or down on the mall, probably saw us in person.

Liz

dcv
06-20-2013, 04:39 AM
Scouts rode 33 miles. I think you can see the line of scouts around the bend in this photo. Any of you on the W&OD, Custis and Mount Vernon Trails, or down on the mall, probably saw us in person.

Liz

Great pic, love that you led the troop into dc on the custis during rush hour. Badass. if I weren't rushing to the shop ride I would've turned around and joined you. Go scouts!

Dirt
06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7381/9096060179_dc7069440a_b.jpg
Battleship Stupid heading out to sea...

ShawnoftheDread
06-20-2013, 11:04 PM
They got my number.

Dirt
06-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Rolling around DC with the People for Bikes photo shoot today. Fun day on the bike. I'm pretty tired though. 8 hours on the cargo bike is a lot... even when we're not moving for all of that.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/9100927923_53c1c390b8_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7327/9103158286_5746848ecc_b.jpg
No self-respecting cargo bike owner would show up for a photo shoot without breakfast...

rcannon100
06-21-2013, 03:10 PM
I got a new pocket Nikon that I am not suppose to be able to break. That would be good. Trying it out.....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/9100561241_a1966ba3ef_b.jpg

Dirt
06-21-2013, 03:19 PM
An ice cream cone almost big enough for Battleship Stupid:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5341/9100927287_e4af2843c5_b.jpg

Rod Smith
06-22-2013, 01:04 PM
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/Hills%20of%20Annacostia%20June%2022%202013/DSC06738.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/bike/Hills%20of%20Annacostia%20June%2022%202013/DSC06738.jpg.html)

dcv
06-22-2013, 01:11 PM
team twin 6
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130622_105008_zpsa43067fb.jpg

ShawnoftheDread
06-22-2013, 08:01 PM

KelOnWheels
06-22-2013, 11:18 PM
I did the Arlington Loop today and got to see all the things you guys talk about like the troll bridges and the S-curve of death! :D

dbb
06-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Was down in Florida for a couple of days without a bike. Had I thought through the process, I could have hit a bike shop or two for test rides which would have netted me some NBC points.

Saw a sign which seemed directive in nature. Because of my minimal art skills I was unable to comply. Needed Dickie!

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/IMG_0723_zps855e1def.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/IMG_0723_zps855e1def.jpg.html)

DaveK
06-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Was down in Florida for a couple of days without a bike. Had I thought through the process, I could have hit a bike shop or two for test rides which would have netted me some NBC points.

Saw a sign which seemed directive in nature. Because of my minimal art skills I was unable to comply. Needed Dickie!

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/IMG_0723_zps855e1def.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/IMG_0723_zps855e1def.jpg.html)

It is really stretching for me to try and guess this, but it wasn't taken anywhere near Bradenton, was it?

dbb
06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Nope. Spanish Trail Blvd across the AIWW in Boca Raton.

DaveK
06-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Nope. Spanish Trail Blvd across the AIWW in Boca Raton.

Ha! Not quite, Spanish River Blvd. I knew it looked familiar. I used to live there. My friend lived on the Intracoastal about 200 feet south of that bridge. What's the best kind of boat? The one your friend has.

dbb
06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Ha! Not quite, Spanish River Blvd. I knew it looked familiar. I used to live there.

Good catch. I keep trying to rename that street.

eminva
06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Checked out the C&O today. It was raining there, too.

Liz

KayakCyndi
06-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Checked out the C&O today. It was raining there, too.

Liz

You got the hybrid out. What do you think? Any decisions about which bike you will take for the trip?

eminva
06-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Yes, I think I'll take the Quick. It was a more comfortable ride. It's a little big compared to what I'm used to, but I put the seat down and felt fine. Thanks for that suggestion!

Liz

TwoWheelsDC
06-24-2013, 05:38 PM
It was HOT today out on the W&OD. The ride out to Purcellville wasn't bad, as there was some clouds and shade. Coming back though, the sun was relentless and the temps kicked up pretty quick...had to eat my Carolina Bros inside so I could cool down:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2830/9128149815_b66eb6187a.jpg

SerialCarpins
06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I did the Arlington Loop today and got to see all the things you guys talk about like the troll bridges and the S-curve of death! :D

I actually had the same experience a few weeks ago when I rode out to Mt. Vernon (I got super stoked when I passed the sign your bike is parked in front of)

As a "Northern Commuter" (Bethesda into DC, sometimes into the very Northern tip of VA) I had no idea what any of this stuff was, but doing that ride, and seeing all the signs for things I've read about on the forums for the first time, it was almost like seeing famous locales. Definitely gave me a better appreciation for A) The biking in this area and B) The descriptive talents of those on the forums, because everything was very well-described.

consularrider
06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
It was HOT today out on the W&OD. The ride out to Purcellville wasn't bad, as there was some clouds and shade. Coming back though, the sun was relentless and the temps kicked up pretty quick...had to eat my Carolina Bros inside so I could cool down:

Where's the Cheerwine (http://www.cheerwine.com/)?

mstone
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Where's the Cheerwine (http://www.cheerwine.com/)?

Carbonated beverages before a ride? Yikes!

bobco85
06-25-2013, 12:37 PM

I just saw this picture, and it just delivered a fatal blow to my stomach. That looks SO GOOD!!!

ShawnoftheDread
06-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I just saw this picture, and it just delivered a fatal blow to my stomach. That looks SO GOOD!!!

TwoWheelsDC is just rubbing it in that he rolled through at a more civilized hour than Dickie and me and got to stop for lunch. Boo.

Dickie
06-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Huh, weird... why does it say I only completed half a century?...... "SHAAAAWN!"

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/dicksewell/Messingwihtmygarmin_zps59b04778.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/dicksewell/media/Messingwihtmygarmin_zps59b04778.jpg.html)

consularrider
06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Carbonated beverages before a ride? Yikes!
Not before, during, and Cheerwine is only lightly carbonated. Just don't ride behind me in a pace line after the Carolina Brothers refueling stop. :p

ShawnoftheDread
06-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Huh, weird... why does it say I only completed half a century?...... "SHAAAAWN!"

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/dicksewell/Messingwihtmygarmin_zps59b04778.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/dicksewell/media/Messingwihtmygarmin_zps59b04778.jpg.html)

Sometimes you have to make your own opportunities.

DaveK
06-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Not sure I've seen this bike before, it's absolutely gorgeous. Very jealous.

bikeeveryday
06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
team twin 6
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130622_105008_zpsa43067fb.jpg

That's a good looking team you got there...

Dickie
06-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Not sure I've seen this bike before, it's absolutely gorgeous. Very jealous.

Thanks Dave, I bought it new it 2005 and only now is she showing signs of age... small hairline crack in the bottom bracket shell is certain to grow over the coming year, but I do love this bike. Really fun to ride. I'll have to retire her soon sadly... time to start saving for my dream Infinito CV.

lim
06-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Coming back from a 12 miler yesterday in the sizzling heat with the new jersey! :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/U8Eshst.jpg

NicDiesel
06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Pretty sweet bro. Anyone know where I can get one of those Bike Arlington jerseys in 2XL?

dbb
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Pretty sweet bro. Anyone know where I can get one of those Bike Arlington jerseys in 2XL?

Revolution in Clarendon should have them.

vvill
06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
my dream Infinito CV.

That's on my everchanging/growing "want" list too! I could probably get a bathroom makeover for a similar price though :(

PeteD
06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Learned the hard way that it's tough for me to go bike shop shopping on my round-about commute because they all open after 11am! gah! I'm going to have to start commuting after work as well.

lim
06-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Yup that's where I got one! Used a 20% off promotion too since I was a previous customer

Tim Kelley
06-27-2013, 09:19 AM

FYI--they are also available at the Library/Gift Shop at the County Building in Courthouse (2100 Clarendon) as well.

Dirt
06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Prevent crime with Dismal...
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3721/9148801168_973b12f593_b.jpg

Dirt
06-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Nice lady said she'd keep an eye on my bike while I went shopping.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2863/9153053181_8a8e249f6e_b.jpg

TwoWheelsDC
06-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Decent little ride today:

-3 HC climbs (Col du Telegraph, Col du Galibier, Alpe d'Huez)
-13k+ feet of climbing
-high temp was ~63ish, low temp was ~30ish
-got rained on, but it turned to snow after I climbed some more
-got passed by a Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari 612, Lamborghini Diablo, and two (!) McLaren MP4-12Cs
-it was so cold at the top of Col du Galibier--and snowing, of course--that I skipped the 25 mile descent and rode down with the wife to the bottom of Alpe d'Huez.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/9153532443_dfe1dbdedf.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/9153520433_8dc5ae5e44.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7378/9153665429_227ab55e9a.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/9153508325_a91f6e883c.jpg

lim
06-27-2013, 08:07 PM
twowheels ... I'm so jealous man

ShawnoftheDread
06-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Nice lady said she'd keep an eye on my bike while I went shopping.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2863/9153053181_8a8e249f6e_b.jpg

Nice rack.

DaveK
06-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Decent little ride today:

-3 HC climbs (Col du Telegraph, Col du Galibier, Alpe d'Huez)
-13k+ feet of climbing
-got rained on, but it turned to snow after I climbed some more
-got passed by a Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari 612, Lamborghini Diablo, and two (!) McLaren MP4-12Cs
-it was so cold at the top of Col du Galibier--and snowing, of course--that I skipped the 25 mile descent and rode down with the wife to the bottom of Alpe d'Huez.

IMG-holycrap.jpg

Good lord, man. What an incredible trip.

lim
06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Picture from MVT at 10pm featuring a party boat! Night rides on summer days are the best

http://i.imgur.com/IOVdMes.jpg

bobco85
06-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Picture from MVT at 10pm featuring a party boat! Night rides on summer days are the best

http://i.imgur.com/IOVdMes.jpg

Agreed! I especially like approaching Wilson Bridge (and then riding on it). Also, I like to think that the fireflies respond to my blinky light (I swear I notice a different pattern when I have it on near them). Here's hoping we have a 1/8th sighting!

KLizotte
06-28-2013, 12:53 PM
There is now a pirate boat plying the waters of the Potomac. I never have a camera with me when I see it though. You'll know what I mean if you see it.

Steve
06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
There is now a pirate boat plying the waters of the Potomac. I never have a camera with me when I see it though. You'll know what I mean if you see it.

Yup. It docks in the SW Waterfront, just north of the fish market. I'll see what I can do to provide picture evidence, while dodging an unloading tour bus.

Steve
06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
-13k+ feet of climbing

Those look more like a year-end summary than a ride summary.

Dirt
06-29-2013, 12:39 PM
I love the hills in LA.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2810/9165990311_9fd6398b70_b.jpg

Greenbelt
06-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Some pics from Friday evening's commute after the rainstorms.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/5874_505503899516332_1860360181_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/8839_505503859516336_215212004_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1000719_505503886183000_483461507_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1044721_505503852849670_1460273068_n.jpg

rcannon100
06-30-2013, 08:57 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/df333e765b77181de1c071de3cfc986e/tumblr_mp4rn2I18l1refxsuo1_500.jpg

JimF22003
07-01-2013, 05:18 AM
On Saturday I did my longest ride ever, 139 miles from my home inside the beltway out to Harpers Ferry via the W&OD on the VA side, and back on the MD side. This is about halfway, on the footbridge on the railway trestle at Harpers Ferry:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii159/JimF22003/Long%20Ride%20to%20Harper%20Valley/IMG_0228_zpsaef47ad0.jpg (http://s263.photobucket.com/user/JimF22003/media/Long%20Ride%20to%20Harper%20Valley/IMG_0228_zpsaef47ad0.jpg.html)

mello yello
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Nice. I've always thought that it would be fun to bring a bike down to Ocracoke. It gets a bit crazy though town with traffic and pedestrians and scooters and golf carts and bikes all mixing it up on a very narrow 2-lane road, though. How was your experience there?

Also - "Mater" the bobbed deuce-and-a-half, is just barely hanging on - he's more rust than steel at this point.

rcannon100
07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Nice. I've always thought that it would be fun to bring a bike down to Ocracoke. It gets a bit crazy though town with traffic and pedestrians and scooters and golf carts and bikes all mixing it up on a very narrow 2-lane road, though. How was your experience there?

Also - "Mater" the bobbed deuce-and-a-half, is just barely hanging on - he's more rust than steel at this point.

Been going for about 7 years and absolutely love it. I dont find that it gets crazy (certainly not by Wash DC standards).

Ocracoke is a 13 mile island at the end of OBX. The town is at the southern end of the island. Its reason to exist was to be the pilot home for helping ships navigate through the inlet, and a coast guard station. It is a really small town with no traffic light and no franchises. The NPS owns most of the island - and 12 of the 13 miles is undeveloped. NPS built a three mile bike path from town to a campground on the island. And there is Route 12 that runs the full length to the Hatteras Inlet (where you catch the ferry). The 3 mile bike path is relatively new - maybe 3 years old. It has had an impact and since that time it is my impression (and that's really all it is - an impression) that there are more joggers and more cyclists vacationing on the island. We walk the beach at sunrise every morning - and every morning this time the path had numerous people on it recreating. The only real down side is that the salt water and sand is absolute hell for your bike. I cleaned my bike every day. Ocracoke has one of the best beaches in the country - and no crap. Oh, and the sunsets are outstanding.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/c12b5dbbec261efbb48976b8b957318f/tumblr_mp6mesUa9e1refxsuo1_500.jpg

Dickie
07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
As we all found out on Friday afternoon, radar is not perfect, not even close! I left work thinking I had a good window, unfortunately that was not the case. Here is the evidence and my solution... yep, I became the "Troll"under the bridge.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/dicksewell/IMG_1449_zps7c2db851.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/dicksewell/media/IMG_1449_zps7c2db851.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/dicksewell/IMG_1451_zps7e77a7b3.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/dicksewell/media/IMG_1451_zps7e77a7b3.jpg.html)

rcannon100
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM

On the back side it said something like call your passes.

sjclaeys
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
As we all found out on Friday afternoon, radar is not perfect, not even close! I left work thinking I had a good window, unfortunately that was not the case. Here is the evidence and my solution... yep, I became the "Troll"under the bridge.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/dicksewell/IMG_1449_zps7c2db851.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/dicksewell/media/IMG_1449_zps7c2db851.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/dicksewell/IMG_1451_zps7e77a7b3.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/dicksewell/media/IMG_1451_zps7e77a7b3.jpg.html)

Since I stopped to chat, I guess that makes me a troll too.

dcv
07-02-2013, 09:51 AM
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/bikems2013-eventpic_zps7f26cdce.jpg

jrenaut
07-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Down in New Orleans for the weekend, trying to keep up with my little brother and his friends for his 30th birthday celebration. I had an extra day on Monday (cheaper flights), so I borrowed a bike from a friend and went exploring.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/9193190242_7fa42eea29.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/9193190242/)
Riding a borrowed bike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/9193190242/) by thetejon (http://www.flickr.com/people/thetejon/), on Flickr

dbb
07-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Down in New Orleans for the weekend, trying to keep up with my little brother and his friends for his 30th birthday celebration. I had an extra day on Monday (cheaper flights), so I borrowed a bike from a friend and went exploring.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/9193190242_7fa42eea29.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/9193190242/)
Riding a borrowed bike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/9193190242/) by thetejon (http://www.flickr.com/people/thetejon/), on Flickr

Go down to the river and ride the levee upstream. Pretty neat

CaseyKane50
07-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Happy 4th! Riding along Commonwealth Avenue in Alexandria this morning.

PeteD
07-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Did a bit of a Tour de Founders, but forgot most of the city was closed down until 10am.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/jahehu2a.jpg
Washington
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/uhyryty5.jpg
Closest I could get to the Signers monument.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/y4ytuda3.jpg
George Mason
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/y7y3emu6.jpg
And Jefferson.

Forgive the Typos, on my Smartphone

PeteD
07-04-2013, 12:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/05/eby8utu8.jpg
Constitution was empty.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/05/nydy9y6a.jpg
Lafayette
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/05/eta9e6yh.jpg
Nathan Hale

And my first visit to Lafayette park in the 16 or so years I've lived in NoVA.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/05/apygahat.jpg

Forgive the Typos, on my Smartphone

dcv
07-04-2013, 03:46 PM
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130704_121050_zps69dcfa31.jpg

ShawnoftheDread
07-04-2013, 04:02 PM
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/IMG_20130704_121050_zps69dcfa31.jpg

Brave man taking the family through Georgetown.

dcv
07-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Brave man taking the family through Georgetown.

They were the brave ones, traffic was light and we took the lane.

Greenbelt
07-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Great day for a ride to the Mall!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1000140_507157649350957_189511679_n.jpg

Greenbelt
07-05-2013, 08:35 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1004082_507325812667474_585118831_n.jpg

Justin Antos
07-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Nice riding yesterday on Constitution Avenue - no cars anywhere!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5532/9216453788_839f0b3990_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5458/9216449930_8047d2ed33_c.jpg