PDA

View Full Version : Bike To Work Day 2013 - Connect with other riders

jeffp
03-22-2013, 08:42 AM
To start this thread off:

I commute from Kemp Mill, MD to the White Flint Metro area.

cephas
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
iCommute: M-sas to Downtown DC. Who's in??

Dickie
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Rosslyn to the once known Merrifield (now Mosaic District). I sometimes feel like I am the only one going west in the mornings (insert young man or pioneer joke).

consularrider
03-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey if you all want to time travel back to last year to ride ... maybe you can redo BAFS too! :p

baiskeli
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Hey if you all want to time travel back to last year to ride ... maybe you can redo BAFS too! :p

It can take a long time to ride from Kemp Mill - up to a full year.

jabberwocky
03-22-2013, 03:49 PM
I commute from Reston out to Great Falls, but I'd be happy to help anyone commuting in the Reston area.

culimerc
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Falls Church to Reston if anyone is interested.

baiskeli
03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
From The Junction to Capitol Hill area. Stopping at Rosslyn and again in DC if there's time. Got a potential newbie interested too.

Steve
04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Ballston to Anacostia. Willing to meet up in Ballston and Rosslyn. Trying to get co-workers too, but not much luck yet.

bbearman
04-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Going from Cap Hill to Tysons/McLean area if anyone is also heading west!

americancyclo
04-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Leading convoy #4 from providence rec center just inside the beltway, down the horrors on route 50, through falls church to rosslyn, freedom plaza and up to capitol hill.

Dickie
04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Falls Church to Reston if anyone is interested.

Ballston to Anacostia. Willing to meet up in Ballston and Rosslyn. Trying to get co-workers too, but not much luck yet.

I will be hitting the Rosslyn Pit stop first thing and then heading west, perhaps hitting the Ballston stop as well... any of you folks want to join up and ride together? bbearman could meet me in Rosslyn, ride over to Ballston to collect Steve, and then pick up culimerc for a while in Falls Church... thoughts? I will be getting off at Gallows and heading south towards Merrifield.

Tim Kelley
04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
I will be hitting the Rosslyn Pit stop first thing and then heading west, perhaps hitting the Ballston stop as well... any of you folks want to join up and ride together? bbearman could meet me in Rosslyn, ride over to Ballston to collect Steve, and then pick up culimerc for a while in Falls Church... thoughts? I will be getting off at Gallows and heading south towards Merrifield.

Make sure to build in some extra time at Rosslyn and Ballston--you're probably not going to want to leave.

Rosslyn especially... (https://twitter.com/BikeArlington/status/324516786227789825)

sjclaeys
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Make sure to build in some extra time at Rosslyn and Ballston--you're probably not going to want to leave.

Rosslyn especially... (https://twitter.com/BikeArlington/status/324516786227789825)

Would this be in place of last year's super heroes?

Dickie
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Oh yeah, I will certainly need to take the morning off.... you do realize the obvious third member is missing right?

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/dicksewell/jesus_unicycle_zpsbf3e43a2.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/dicksewell/media/jesus_unicycle_zpsbf3e43a2.jpg.html)

ShawnoftheDread
04-17-2013, 09:45 AM
My registered site is the Tri360 pm one, but I think I'll need swag and goodies long before then. Rosslyn (and Elvis) it is.

Tim Kelley
04-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Would this be in place of last year's super heroes?

We're doing a music theme this year since we have DC101 coming!

Steve
04-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Unfortunately, I'm heading the opposite direction as you.

Dickie
04-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately, I'm heading the opposite direction as you.
My bad Steve, I read it as Annandale not Anacostia.

TwoWheelsDC
04-17-2013, 10:14 AM
My registered site is the Tri360 pm one, but I think I'll need swag and goodies long before then. Rosslyn (and Elvis) it is.

We can do a Team S&M convoy from Tri360 to Rosslyn. It's the opposite direction of my commute, but only by a mile or so, so it's probably the best place for me to link up.

birddog
04-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Anybody want to start a group from Shirlington to NoMA?

KelOnWheels
04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Anybody want to start a group from Shirlington to NoMA?

I could do that. :)

I might have to take the day off so I can hit more pit stops! :D

dbb
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
I could do that. :)

I might have to take the day off so I can hit more pit stops! :D

No reason to let work get in the way of a bike ride, particularly on BTWD! Last year, I began with a tour d' pit stops with Consularrider and ended JRA with ArlingtonRider and Dirt out in Falls Church. Got over 50 miles and never actually made it to work (it was a compressed day so I wasn't a complete slacker). As I recall, we did about five or six pit stops.

baiskeli
04-18-2013, 10:24 AM
never actually made it to work

This is the best Bike to Work Day experience ever.

ebubar
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm cruising Takoma to north Arlington (Marymount University in particular) by way of Georgetown Branch and Capital Crescent Trail.
Happy to ride with anyone! Just know I go slow (average 13/14 mph, unless I get my curvy-bar bike before then...at which point
i'll magically ride 5 mph's faster and can be ELITE) :cool:!

83(b)
04-24-2013, 10:13 AM
I'll be headed from Capitol Hill to Lafayette Square (15th and H) via the Penn Ave lanes and the Freedom Plaza pit-stop. Probably try to hit up the Eastern Market stop too, so long as my snooze button behaves itself.

americancyclo
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
We can do a Team S&M convoy from Tri360 to Rosslyn. It's the opposite direction of my commute, but only by a mile or so, so it's probably the best place for me to link up.
Y'all should meet up with my convoy at Banneker near the basketball courts. then we'd have 3 of the team!

ShawnoftheDread
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Y'all should meet up with my convoy at Banneker near the basketball courts. then we'd have 3 of the team!

Your convoy is WAY too early for me, even factoring in the need to hit multiple stops. I like being out that early, I just don't like getting out that early.

jopamora
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm cruising Takoma to north Arlington (Marymount University in particular) by way of Georgetown Branch and Capital Crescent Trail.
Happy to ride with anyone! Just know I go slow (average 13/14 mph, unless I get my curvy-bar bike before then...at which point
i'll magically ride 5 mph's faster and can be ELITE) :cool:!

I registered for the Discovery Plaza pit stop this year. I think I'll get there early around 7am. I'd be happy to ride with you up 41st St. I just have to make it to the Crystal City pit stop before 9am (wind jacket for free, maybe).

ShawnoftheDread
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
So any advice on which stops are usually best for swag? Last year I got a water bottle and good snacks (all week long!) at Crystal City and good snacks and Potbelly voucher at National Geographic. But a wind jacket?! Not even close.

AMRunBike
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
My "commute" is teeny tiny (2.4 miles!), but luckily it's in and around Old Town Alexandria, and I see that there are two pit stops there! I will plan to hit them both and am happy to wave hello to anyone who sees me on my old red Ross Carrerra around-town bike (from the 80s - a Craigslist find). It has white handlebar tape, and I will likely look much less put-together than I do in this photo by my friend:

TwoWheelsDC
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
It has white handlebar tape

White bar tape is PRO. Even if you ride slow, people will just think "she must be on a recovery ride."

AMRunBike
04-24-2013, 01:16 PM
White bar tape is PRO. Even if you ride slow, people will just think "she must be on a recovery ride."

Haha! There's no "if" about it, but I appreciate that :)

holdthebeach
04-24-2013, 03:39 PM
I will be riding from Columbia Pike through Ft. Myers to Rosslyn. Would be open to biking the "long way" up Irving and east on Clarendon Blvd!

mwhatley
04-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Would love to meet some of my Freezing Saddles team mates (and competitors!) at the Rosslyn stop - will definitely be there in the 8:00 hour. We need some kind of reserved table for us, amiright!?

ShawnoftheDread
04-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Would love to meet some of my Freezing Saddles team mates (and competitors!) at the Rosslyn stop - will definitely be there in the 8:00 hour. We need some kind of reserved table for us, amiright!?

I should be in Rosslyn about that time.

KLizotte
04-24-2013, 08:51 PM
My "commute" is teeny tiny (2.4 miles!), but luckily it's in and around Old Town Alexandria, and I see that there are two pit stops there! I will plan to hit them both and am happy to wave hello to anyone who sees me on my old red Ross Carrerra around-town bike (from the 80s - a Craigslist find). It has white handlebar tape, and I will likely look much less put-together than I do in this photo by my friend:

Welcome to the forum. Very cool photo.

culimerc
04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Me and my "crew" will be rolling out of Falls Church, west st Va Ave area out to Reston, with a good long stop in Vienna.

sblanco
04-26-2013, 04:45 PM
iCommute: M-sas to Downtown DC. Who's in??

Going from South-West Centreville to Ballston. Right off route 28. Let me know about your route.

AMRunBike
04-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Thank you so much! :)

baiskeli
04-28-2013, 02:50 PM

Yes, photo is nice a big and easy to notice.

americancyclo
04-29-2013, 12:37 PM

I should be in Rosslyn about that time.

I'll be rolling out of there earlier, unfortunately, gotta be showered at work by 815 that day.

TwoWheelsDC
04-29-2013, 02:04 PM
I may get in on your convoy. As much as I'd like to stop-hop, my work hours aren't terribly flexible, so I wouldn't want to roll into work (Foggy Bottom) any later than about 0830. And leaving earlier should ensure I get all the good loot before it's gone.

BikenRound
05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Me and my "crew" will be rolling out of Falls Church, west st Va Ave area out to Reston, with a good long stop in Vienna.

Im riding from Ballston to Vienna Metro, does that cross your route?

rjswigart
05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I commute from Sterling, VA to Franconia-Springfield everyday...and most days I am there by 7:30am. It is a long lonely ride and there is safety in numbers. Let me know if you are interested in riding any part of this with me. If you are new to bike commuting, want to get in shape for the beach this summer, or want to reduce your carbon footprint...let me show you the way.
Robert

ShawnoftheDread
05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
So my anniversary falls on BTWD this year. The tenth is the plastic water bottle anniversary, isn't it?

lancito brazofuerte
05-02-2013, 08:30 PM
So my anniversary falls on BTWD this year. The tenth is the plastic water bottle anniversary, isn't it?

10th is white bar tape.

ShawnoftheDread
05-02-2013, 09:31 PM
10th is white bar tape.

Nice.

Terpfan
05-07-2013, 12:42 PM
I will be heading over from Groveton/Beacon Hill area and going to the Freedom Plaza stop (not too far from my work). I should lookup where the OT Alexandria stops are and maybe I'll drop by them en route, but that also requires me waking up earlier, so no promises.

CPTJohnC
05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm signed up for the Falls Church pit stop, if that matters to anyone :-)

ntimmons
05-09-2013, 09:22 AM
I commute from Silver Spring, MD to downtown Golden Triangle. I have a pretty good route, if anybody wants to learn it.

I also use MapMyRide to ride back and forth, so if anybody wants to learn which courses I have, they are fun.

Thanks,
Neil

culimerc
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Im riding from Ballston to Vienna Metro, does that cross your route?
We hit the WOD between WFC and Dunn Loring metro. I would imagine that you break off after cedar somewhere. We should be rolling through there about 720 ish

micahmac
05-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Any takers? or anyone from Alexandria to Navy Yard to meet up with?

Amalitza
05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
So who wants to ride from Alexandria, VA to Indian Head, MD with me? I have a pleasant little 34 mile jaunt all planned out (would have been more like 30 if not for some road construction that must be avoided). No more than 4 or 5 miles, tops, are actually suicidal. :p

(we'll see this time next week if i actually try this out)...

(there apparently actually is a bike to work stop in Indian Head, though)

andmycervelo
05-11-2013, 11:11 AM
If anyone is looking for a ride buddy, I'll be riding to work starting at the Carlyle stop.
I'll ride to Ballston via GW parkway/Mt Vernon trail.

Kayakerles
05-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Anyone currently riding this?

Let's see about joining up. :)

~ Les

Hbenbow
05-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Anyone going that route :)? I'm not very fast (newbie-ish). Takes me about an hour and 45 mins.

Riley Casey
05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
That does sound like a long ride. What route are you taking? I don't often go all the way to Alexandria but I often ride from TP to downtown and the Mall.

Anyone going that route :)? I'm not very fast (newbie-ish). Takes me about an hour and 45 mins.

Hbenbow
05-14-2013, 01:13 PM
That does sound like a long ride. What route are you taking? I don't often go all the way to Alexandria but I often ride from TP to downtown and the Mall.

It is, but it's a nice ride :).

The route I take is kind of random, I got it from te Google Maps biking route. It's mostly cutting through side streets and kansas and new hampshire ave until you get to 11th, then from there I cut over to 15th to cross the bridge.

Dickie
05-14-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm helping set up at Rosslyn (where i'm registered) in the early AM and then I wanted to hit a few stops out west once I'm done... perhaps Ballston and FC on my way to Merrifield, any folks heading west from Rosslyn or Ballston?

KelOnWheels
05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
How do we see which pit stop we registered for if we forgot? :D

I think I may have registered for Crystal City but if I've got to be at work at 7 AM, that's not going to work. :P

DismalScientist
05-14-2013, 03:42 PM

It probably doesn't matter except if they run out of T-shirts.
Now if I were behaving strategically, I would look at the quality of the bikes being offered in the "raffle" and choose the Arlington pit stop with the best combination of bike quality and lowest expected number of registrants. I have the feeling the answer to that is the Tri360 stop in the afternoon.

KelOnWheels
05-14-2013, 04:09 PM

I think I may have registered for Crystal City but if I've got to be at work at 7 AM, that's not going to work. :P

Sweet, I have arranged to be at work at 8 instead, so I can hit CC on the way in and check :D

Tim Kelley
05-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Now if I were behaving strategically, I would look at the quality of the bikes being offered in the "raffle" and choose the Arlington pit stop with the best combination of bike quality and lowest expected number of registrants.

I was wondering when someone was going to figure that out...

rcannon100
05-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Of course, um, knowing when the bike raffle drawings might be - could also help with strategic planning :o

ShawnoftheDread
05-14-2013, 04:58 PM
It probably doesn't matter except if they run out of T-shirts.
Now if I were behaving strategically, I would look at the quality of the bikes being offered in the "raffle" and choose the Arlington pit stop with the best combination of bike quality and lowest expected number of registrants. I have the feeling the answer to that is the Tri360 stop in the afternoon.

How would one go about finding such information? I don't see any listings of prices on the webpage.

aljones
05-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Going from Capitol Hill to Ballston, never did it before; any advice on which bridge, which route? I know how to get across Memorial Bridge and up to Iwo Jima area but don't know how to find I-66 trail. Would prefer Roosevelt Bridge if possible; it's closer.

baiskeli
05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Going from Capitol Hill to Ballston, never did it before; any advice on which bridge, which route? I know how to get across Memorial Bridge and up to Iwo Jima area but don't know how to find I-66 trail. Would prefer Roosevelt Bridge if possible; it's closer.

I think we have you covered on the other thread you posted, but to clarify - the Mt. Vernon Trail basically becomes the Custis (I-66) trail. It's all one long trail. Follow Mt. V north and you'll soon be on the Custis.

dasgeh
05-16-2013, 11:06 AM

You have lots of options, depending on what you like (hills v. fewer; trails v. roads) and exactly where you're going. The rough answer I'd give you is this:

1) Most on-trail: get to the 14th St Bridge (entrance is near the Jefferson Memorial, how you get there depends on where on Cap Hill you're coming from), take the Mount Vernon Trail (turn left after the bridge) to Rosslyn, stop at the pit stop then continue on the Custis Trail to Ballston (or to Quincy, which has bike lanes and will get you to the eastern end of Ballston).

2) Most on-street (and I think "flattest", though there's a big hill): get to the Memorial Bridge then to the Iwa Jima. Take a right on N Meade St, then left on the Arlington Blvd access road (the temporary light, where turning right would put you on 50). Take a right at the 4 way stop onto Rhodes, and a left at the next 4 way stop onto 14th street. Go up the big hill. Stay on 14th until you wrap around to Wilson. Left on Wilson. From you can stay on Wilson or take Fairfax, depending on where you're going.

3) Other bridge: get to the White House. Take Virginia Ave towards the Kennedy Center ( you can go under 23rd st). Turn left either onto the sidewalk after 24th st, or at the light with New Hampshire -- either way you're headed to the KC. Take the path along the Roosevelt Bridge -- either stay on the sidewalk across from the KC, or if you're on street, turn left where cars can turn left onto 66, and get on the sidewalk there. That path puts you on the MVT, which takes you up into Rosslyn. See #1.

Oh, and welcome! It's a nice commute, especially on the way home (downhill)

xvf960
05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Daily commute from Columbia Heights/Georgia-Petworth to Farragut West area, reply if interested.

cephas
05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Going from South-West Centreville to Ballston. Right off route 28. Let me know about your route.

Looks like I'm going to have to shorten my route. I generally ride up 234 (Sudley) to 29 (Lee Hwy), but was going to come up Old Centreville to Braddock to Shirley Gate. However, my contract ended yesterday, and I have a conference to be presentable for tomorrow. So... unless I find a shower, I will be riding in only from West Falls Church. :-D

alibi1
05-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I registered for the Discovery Plaza pit stop this year. I think I'll get there early around 7am. I'd be happy to ride with you up 41st St. I just have to make it to the Crystal City pit stop before 9am (wind jacket for free, maybe).

I would like to join up with you and meet at Discovery Plaza pit stop and then on to Capital Crescent. I have never ridden that branch...I will be headed to DC by way of the mall.

Is there a good way to meet up?

alibi1
05-16-2013, 01:27 PM
I commute from Silver Spring, MD to downtown Golden Triangle. I have a pretty good route, if anybody wants to learn it.

I also use MapMyRide to ride back and forth, so if anybody wants to learn which courses I have, they are fun.

Thanks,
Neil

Yes I would like to learn your route....!

DanB
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Tomorrow will be my first BTWD and the second time I'll have biked to work here in DC. (It was easier in Minn. where I lived four blocks from work.) I'm thinking I'll make it a Friday ritual (at least during summer--and when it doesn't rain).

I'll be taking the W&OD to the Curtis Trail to the Key Bridge and aim to get to work by 8:00. If anyone cares to join me, that'd be great.

TwoWheelsDC
05-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Tomorrow will be my first BTWD and the second time I'll have biked to work here in DC. (It was easier in Minn. where I lived four blocks from work.) I'm thinking I'll make it a Friday ritual (at least during summer--and when it doesn't rain).

I'll be taking the W&OD to the Curtis Trail to the Key Bridge and aim to get to work by 8:00. If anyone cares to join me, that'd be great.

I hope you're making some pit stops...it's the best part of BTWD!

consularrider
05-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Stick with us and try one of the Friday Coffee Club meetings. Check out the General Discussion for threads on the topic.

DanB
05-16-2013, 03:03 PM
I hope you're making some pit stops...it's the best part of BTWD!

Yes, I'll be stopping at the Falls Church pit stop around 6:30.

I want to hook up with a convoy, too, but the Route 4 convoy out of FC isn't starting at the pit stop! Oh well, maybe I'll meet them where they turn onto the W&OD.

vespa
05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
I will be riding from Gaithersburg, MD --> Crystal City.

Been thinking about taking Rock Creek, Capital Crescent or MacArthur.

also looking for riding buddy.

Dirt
05-16-2013, 05:10 PM
COME VISIT ME!!!

I'll be volunteering in Ballston all morning and at the East Falls Church stop/party in the afternoon.

I'll be easily recognizable. I'll be wearing a pink hat and a World Bicycle Relief safari shirt in the cool-ish morning and a WABA Bike Ambassador shirt once it warms up!

Please introduce yourself. I've got Hi5s to spare!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8745550650_61d400b587_b.jpg

Pete

ebubar
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I would like to join up with you and meet at Discovery Plaza pit stop and then on to Capital Crescent. I have never ridden that branch...I will be headed to DC by way of the mall.

Is there a good way to meet up?

I may try to roll through Silver Spring Discovery stop around 7 AM. Then I'll be heading to the Georgetown Branch to Bethesda (shirt pickup!) and down the Capital Crescent to the trestle connection to the C&O. I may go further (all the way into Georgetown) and cross at the Key Bridge for a stop at Rosslyn. This would be partially along your route. Could ride with you some of the way. I typically go between 13-18 depending on the gradual uphill or downhill nature of the route (more slight uphill along the crushed gravel of Georgetown Branch) and definitely a nice downhill along the CCT once you hit Bethesda!