PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles Happy Hour

rcannon100
02-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Freezing Saddles ends on the last day of Winter. That is March 20.

Phoenix Bikes annual bike show happens to be on Thursday March 21, in Crystal City.

As you know, Phoenix Bikes make our first place prizes!

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2337&d=1359231901

This seems like opportunity. Now first, the 2013 Phoenix Bike Show is a fund raiser so tickets are $30 bucks at the door, or $25 ahead of time. (Since Freezing Saddles was free - perhaps thats not too much of a burden?)

Options:

(a) We have a happy hour before hand, near the Phoenix Bikes bike show - perhaps have Phoenix Bikes present the awards - and then many of us can head over to Phoenix Bikes bike show after wards. or

(b) Just do the whole thing at Phoenix Bikes. Have the award of the first place prize at the Phoenix Bikes show. Would have to talk to Henry about this. He might object severely to us bringing a herd of folk over to a fund raiser, you know, contributing money to the good cause. :rolleyes:

I went to the bike show last year. It was great. Sat next to Libby Garvey for a little and got to talk bikes with her. And that is also where the idea for the Freezing Saddles award came from.

Thoughts? Still could use a volunteer to lead up the happy hour.

rcannon100
02-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Phoenix Bikes is on board. So tentatively first place will be awarded during the Phoenix Bike Show.

Henry says

New Belgium is going to sponsor us again, so there will be ample "happiness" on hand.

Should we just have our whole happy hour at the Bike Show? There is a silent auction, and a raffle for a phoenix bike, and VIPs say VIP things. Last year was great.

Thoughts? ACL? Ron? Others?

ronwalf
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM

My wife's due date is three days before. I have this foreboding feeling that if I went, I'd need to find permanent lodgings.

Tim Kelley
02-05-2013, 12:03 PM
So tentatively first place will be awarded during the Phoenix Bike Show.

Can you expand on this a bit more? Are you going to gather everyone in a group in the corner, or will you take the microphone from Henry and do some MCing yourself?

ShawnoftheDread
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Phoenix Bikes is on board. So tentatively first place will be awarded during the Phoenix Bike Show.

Henry says

Should we just have our whole happy hour at the Bike Show? There is a silent auction, and a raffle for a phoenix bike, and VIPs say VIP things. Last year was great.

You had me until that VIP babbling part. Good God, can't the VIPs ever just shut the hell up?

DismalScientist
02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Aren't happy hours supposed to be non-(high school) kid friendly?:rolleyes:

rcannon100
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
My wife's due date is three days before. I have this foreboding feeling that if I went, I'd need to find permanent lodgings.

Sounds like the best possible pointless award. PLEASE PLEASE name the kid MONGO

Can you expand on this a bit more? Are you going to gather everyone in a group in the corner, or will you take the microphone from Henry and do some MCing yourself?

As soon as someone volunteers to organize this, will let you know. :rolleyes: Ah hell! Tentatively (as in I need to hear from Henry) let's just do this thing at the Bike Show - I will step up and organize this. I know we are doing first place. More I dont know. What I would love to see is First Place Awarded up front with the kids who made the awards giving them to the first place team. I also think Tim that Bike Arl going up there giving out awards would be cool too. But you and I and ACL are in a separate thread trying to get a concept there. (no one has really volunteer to organize an individual pointless award - saying that you will do an award but that someone else needs to do the data research - means no one is doing it. If you would like to do a pointless award, speak up and you have to do the full thing).

You had me until that VIP babbling part. Good God, can't the VIPs ever just shut the hell up?

The VIPs are people like the Phoenix Board of Directors and the Arlco board of directors. Phoenix is in expansion period, looking to build a new facility. Libby Garvey has been a big supporter and is I believe on the Board. Phoenix is an important youth program in Arlco. This people have done yoemen work and really its a fantastic community effort with support from volunteers to political leadership. Last year was a pretty impressive experience.

Aren't happy hours supposed to be non-(high school) kid friendly?

Not sure I understand. Phoenix Bikes is of course a youth org and a lot of the volunteers running the event will be kids from the program - at least they were last year. The Phoenix Bike Show is a kid friendly event.

Tim Kelley
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
As soon as someone volunteers to organize this, will let you know. :rolleyes: Ah hell! Tentatively (as in I need to hear from Henry) let's just do this thing at the Bike Show - I will step up and organize this. I know we are doing first place. More I dont know. What I would love to see is First Place Awarded up front with the kids who made the awards giving them to the first place team. I also think Tim that Bike Arl going up there giving out awards would be cool too. But you and I and ACL are in a separate thread trying to get a concept there. (no one has really volunteer to organize an individual pointless award - saying that you will do an award but that someone else needs to do the data research - means no one is doing it. If you would like to do a pointless award, speak up and you have to do the full thing).

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that Henry realized that you wanted to take over part of his event.

DismalScientist
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM
I said (non-verbatim) "ain't happy hours s'posed to be non-kid friendly?"

Not sure I understand. Phoenix Bikes is of course a youth org and a lot of the volunteers running the event will be kids from the program - at least they were last year. The Phoenix Bike Show is a kid friendly event.

rcannon100
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Ah.... ooooooooooooooooh!!!! I get your drift Dismal. Yes, clearly. Non kid friendly. That's the ticket.

ShawnoftheDread
02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
.. and the Arlco board of directors. ....

Yeah. Politicians. I stand by my previous snide remark.

rcannon100
02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Okay, here's the latest after consulting with many smart and wise people

Phoenix Bike Show is Thursday March 21 in Crystal City starting at 7 pm. The Freezing Saddles 1st place awards will be awarded during the pheonix bike show.

The Freezing Saddles Happy Hour will be before the Bike Show, somewhere in Crystal City. That way, as Tim noted, we can bestow all the inside joke awards to our own delights.

We need a volunteer to organize a happy hour in Crystal City. Anyone have a favorite place that might be premo?

jrenaut
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Is this happy hour official yet? If so, exactly when and where?

vvill
03-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Is this happy hour official yet? If so, exactly when and where?

Yes:

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?3750-Freezing-Saddles-Pointless-Prizes&p=45562#post45562

jrenaut
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Yes:

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?3750-Freezing-Saddles-Pointless-Prizes&p=45562#post45562
Thanks. Trying to figure out if I can make it.

Arlingtonrider
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Come celebrate your accomplishments (or not) and meet your teammates, rivals and new friends!

The Freezing Saddles Awards Happy hour will be at Baileys in Crystal City (2010-A Crystal Drive) on Thursday, March 21 from about 5 pm to 7 pm. We have a separate room in the back that will be available from 4:30 pm, so feel free to come earlier if you like.

At about 7 pm, for the awarding of the awesome first place prizes, we head en masse to the Phoenix Bike Show, just a few short blocks away at 251 S. 18th Street (12th Floor) - right across from the Crystal City Metro Station. Tickets to the Phoenix Bike Show are $25 in advance and $30 at the door, and go for a great cause. To purchase a ticket, go to www.phoenixbikes.org, and click on the announcement regarding Extraordinary Possibilities: 2013 Phoenix Bikes Show. Please consider buying a ticket to help this worthy cause even if you can't attend the Bike Show.

Easy to get to: By bike - MVT to Crystal City, make left on Crystal Drive, go a couple of blocks. Baileys is on right, just past McCormick & Schmicks (good landmark).
By metro - easy walking distance from Crystal City metro stop and then easy walking distance from Baileys to the Phoenix Bike Show, which is right across the street from the Crystal City metro stop.

Parking: There are 4 bike racks (for eight bikes normally) and an underground parking garage directly next to Baileys (south of it). No charge for the garage after 4 p.m.

25 kinds of beer on tap and about 50 others available in bottles. Individual checks.

Please let me know if you plan to come! I have about 35 rsvps already.

I encourage everyone in BAFS to try to make it!

Mikey
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
More details will be posted soon but here are the basics:

Happy hour at Baileys in Crystal City (2010-A Crystal Drive) on Thursday, March 21 from about 5 pm to 7 pm. Room is available from 4:30 pm, so feel free to come earlier if you like. At about 7 pm, we head en masse to the nearby Phoenix Bike Show.

Easy to get to: MVT to Crystal City, make left on Crystal Drive, go a couple of blocks. Baileys is on right, just past McCormick & Schmicks (good landmark).

There are 4 bike racks (for eight bikes normally) and an underground parking garage directly next to Baileys (south of it). No charge for the garage after 4 p.m.

25 kinds of beer on tap and about 50 others available in bottles.

Please let me know if you plan to come! I have about 20 rsvps already.

I'm kind of bummed that I won't be able to make it, but if it's spring and it is Thursday that means it is soccer practice.

Oh well, please post photos.

-Mike

sjclaeys
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
"25 kinds of beer on tap and about 50 others available in bottles."

Can we find someplace that has a larger selection of beer? :rolleyes: Looking forward to it.

Arlingtonrider
03-12-2013, 05:04 PM
LOL. By the way, attendance is mandatory for Badass Banditos. ;-) (- since it appears likely at this point that we all will be there)

I'll have nametags available, and team captains are welcome to come up with some sort of team ID if they like. Team 6 is covered.

jrenaut
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
What about us slackers who didn't sign up for Freezing Saddles, but did ride all winter, and love beer?

Arlingtonrider
03-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Please join us! And for those BASF riders who haven't ridden much - come to the happy hour anyway. There might even be special awards or prizes for you too.

jrenaut
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Please join us!
I'm working on it. I have a guys trip to spring training tomorrow through Monday, leaving my wife on her own with the kids, so my Husband Points are pretty low.

Bilsko
03-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Will there be complimentary wheelchairs available? - because I'm sure many of us will need them after Wednesday's mad dash to get as many points as possible.

Justin Antos
03-13-2013, 02:58 PM
after Wednesday's mad dash

See, now you're just making me nervous.

jopamora
03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Will there be complimentary wheelchairs available? - because I'm sure many of us will need them after Wednesday's mad dash to get as many points as possible.
beer

I may just end up at Bailey's all day if the mad dash crazy happens.

vvill
03-13-2013, 03:05 PM
beer

qft

americancyclo
03-13-2013, 03:11 PM
There might even be special awards or prizes for you too.
Lantern Rouges for everyone!

rcannon100
03-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Right now the difference between the first place team and the second place team is 14 points.

Again, the deadline for First Place is 9.30 pm March 20. I will take a screen capture at that moment and declare the winner (make sure you upload your ride early enough so that it gets into the data).

This is a great and tight race between team V and team Bollard Busters.

You will receive your award at the Phoenix Bikes Show (http://www.phoenixbikes.org/2013-phoenix-bikes-show-extraordinary-possibilities/) - it would be nice to know if you will be there. Can you send me a DM indicating that you will be at the Phoenix Bikes Show?? The idea is that the Phoenix Bikes kids who made the awards will present them to you.

I am asking Phoenix Bikes to have the award ceremony as early in the program as possible.

Oh and Henry says that New Belgium Brewing is a sponsor again! How does VVill say it? Beyahh!!

http://www.phoenixbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PB2013SmSm.jpg

Arlingtonrider
03-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Come celebrate your accomplishments (or not) and meet your teammates, rivals and new friends!

The Freezing Saddles Awards Happy hour will be at Baileys in Crystal City (2010-A Crystal Drive) on Thursday, March 21 from about 5 pm to 7 pm. We have a separate room in the back that will be available from 4:30 pm, so feel free to come earlier if you like.

At about 7 pm, for the awarding of the awesome first place prizes, we head en masse to the Phoenix Bike Show, just a few short blocks away at 251 S. 18th Street (12th Floor) - right across from the Crystal City Metro Station. Tickets to the Phoenix Bike Show are $25 in advance and $30 at the door, and go for a great cause. To purchase a ticket, go to www.phoenixbikes.org, and click on the announcement regarding Extraordinary Possibilities: 2013 Phoenix Bikes Show. Please consider buying a ticket to help this worthy cause even if you can't attend the Bike Show.

Easy to get to: By bike - MVT to Crystal City, make left on Crystal Drive, go a couple of blocks. Baileys is on right, just past McCormick & Schmicks (good landmark).
By metro - easy walking distance from Crystal City metro stop and then easy walking distance from Baileys to the Phoenix Bike Show, which is right across the street from the Crystal City metro stop.

Parking: There are 4 bike racks (for eight bikes normally) and an underground parking garage directly next to Baileys (south of it). No charge for the garage after 4 p.m. The Phoenix Bike Show site has a link to a parking map of Crystal City that indicates that they will have a bike valet set up very close to the show site.

25 kinds of beer on tap and about 50 others available in bottles. Individual checks.

Please let me know if you plan to come! I have about 35 rsvps already.

Bumping this up, and will be adding info from time to time. You don't want to miss this!

Arlingtonrider
03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
For Freezing Saddles awards happy hour info, please see post above this one. I couldn't get all the info to copy onto this post, so this is the bump up.

Steve O
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
To whom it may concern:
I am RSVPing for the happy hour. Hope to arrive by 5:15. As Unassailable Czar of Ride Titles, I will be bearing the pointless prizes for three categories of creative ride titles and will be pleased to announce them at an appropriate time in the festivities.
See you there.

Arlingtonrider
03-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks - glad you can make it. (I miss that "like" button.)

Amalitza
03-18-2013, 09:28 PM
three categories of creative ride titles

I hope one of them is related to complaining about the wind.

Or maybe we should just collectively award that one to ourselves as a group.

Steve O
03-18-2013, 11:40 PM
I hope one of them is related to complaining about the wind.

The omniscience of the Unassailable Czar will be apparent at the awards ceremony.

Dirt
03-19-2013, 06:53 AM
I'll probably stop by Happy Hour for a little while. I've got a busy day, but it would be nice to see y'all!

jrenaut
03-19-2013, 09:28 AM
I am planning to attend.

Anyone riding out from DC want to convoy? I'm at L'Enfant Plaza, but can go out of my way to meet, especially if you know where you're going.

americancyclo
03-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I am planning to attend.

Anyone riding out from DC want to convoy? I'm at L'Enfant Plaza, but can go out of my way to meet, especially if you know where you're going.

I'll be riding there from capitol hill, but a little unsure of my departure time.

TwoWheelsDC
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm going to try and leave Foggy Bottom around 445, but my wife may not be able to make it quite that early, so it may be a bit later by the time we roll out. We'll probably roll down 21st NW, around the Lincoln, and over to Ohio and the 14th St. Bridge.

jrenaut
03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
I could definitely meet someone at the 14th St Bridge pretty much any time. On the early side is better for me.

Bilsko
03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I could definitely meet someone at the 14th St Bridge pretty much any time. On the early side is better for me.

I'm going to try and leave Foggy Bottom around 445, but my wife may not be able to make it quite that early, so it may be a bit later by the time we roll out. We'll probably roll down 21st NW, around the Lincoln, and over to Ohio and the 14th St. Bridge.

I'll be riding there from capitol hill, but a little unsure of my departure time.

Sounds like 14th St Bridge would be a good meetup point - I'm planning on riding down and was going to skip out of work a little early, so I can spend a few more minutes sitting at the bar - rolling out of West End/Foggy Bottom sometime around 3:45-4:00.

Steve
03-19-2013, 10:26 AM

I'll probably be hitting 14th St. Bridge around 440. We can meet by the CaBi Station right there if you'd like. I do know where we are going.

jrenaut
03-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Sounds like 14th St would be a good meetup point - I'm planning on riding down and was going to skip out of work a little early, so I can spend a few more minutes sitting at the bar - rolling out of West End/Foggy Bottom sometime around 3:45-4:00.
That's probably a little too early for me, but it might be doable. I'll check my schedule Thursday.

jrenaut
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
I'll probably be hitting 14th St. Bridge around 440. We can meet by the CaBi Station right there if you'd like. I do know where we are going.
440 at the CaBi station sounds good.

jopamora
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
I can go to a BAFS pre Happy Hour around 3:30pm, but then I have to leave at 4pm. Anyone else?

Greenbelt
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Laurie and I will try to make the 4:40 meetup at the CaBi station. But don't wait for us... -Jeff

TwoWheelsDC
03-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Laurie and I will try to make the 4:40 meetup at the CaBi station. But don't wait for us... -Jeff

Same for me and my wife.

Arlingtonrider
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Parking: There are 4 bike racks (for eight bikes normally) and an underground parking garage directly next to Baileys (south of it). No charge for the garage after 4 p.m.

Please let me know if you plan to come. I encourage everyone in BAFS to try to make it!

Bump up. It looks nice outside. Good luck everyone!

rcannon100
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
After the Happy Hour, join us for the triumphant awarding of the First Place Trophies during the Phoenix Bike Show (http://www.phoenixbikes.org/2013-phoenix-bikes-show-extraordinary-possibilities/)

*All Members of the First Place Team will be subject to ADA Doping Testing**

**(It's a joke!)

http://www.phoenixbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PB2013FlyerUpDateSmall2.jpg

KelOnWheels
03-19-2013, 08:42 PM
ADA Doping Testing**

**(It's a joke!)

I see what you did there...

Bilsko
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Don't forget to bring your locks on Thursday

(Some of us leave our big fahgettaboudit chain locks permanently at the office and have to remember to bring separate U-Locks when we're going someplace other than work...)

Rod Smith
03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
440 at the CaBi station sounds good.

I'll have my trailer if anyone needs a ride.

KayakCyndi
03-19-2013, 09:45 PM
I'll have my trailer if anyone needs a ride.

Totally wish there was a like button on TapaTalk!

americancyclo
03-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Totally wish there was a like button on TapaTalk!

Like!

rcannon100
03-20-2013, 08:48 AM
At the Phoenix Bike Show, they silent auction the art work of the kids. This is a picture on the Bike Show website of one of the pieces of art!

http://www.phoenixbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-09-027-254x300.jpg

This years First Place Award is based on some art they auctioned off last year.

dasgeh
03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
At the Phoenix Bike Show, they silent auction the art work of the kids. This is a picture on the Bike Show website of one of the pieces of art!

http://www.phoenixbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-09-027-254x300.jpg

This years First Place Award is based on some art they auctioned off last year.

Can that be the ELITE icon?

rcannon100
03-20-2013, 10:25 AM
There is Bike Valet Parking (http://www.phoenixbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Phoenix-Bikes_13_Parking_Map.pdf) at the Phoenix Bike Show

Henry says

I'm having my bike valet volunteers report there at 6:45. It should be up and running shortly after. The Bike Valet is by donation. Pay what you want. It will be on the street level plaza between 251 and 241 18th street.

Megabeth
03-20-2013, 09:39 PM
I send apologies to lovely Team II. I'm on day seven of an 11 day work trip in California. Only managed to squeeze one ride in here in San Diego. (I have managed to run **gasp** all other days, but this ain't called "Freezing Bunions" so I guess those don't count.)

Hope everyone has fun at the Happy Hour and Bike Show festivities!

bikenurse
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I am planning to attend.

Jeff and I will be coming from Penns Ave by the Newseum. We can meet you on our way. What time are you heading over? -- Laurie

rcannon100
03-21-2013, 09:21 AM
I plan to be at the 440 meetup at the Jefferson / 14th St CABI station

jrenaut
03-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Jeff and I will be coming from Penns Ave by the Newseum. We can meet you on our way. What time are you heading over? -- Laurie
I was planning to meet at the 14th St Bridge CaBi station at 440 - is that too early for you?

KelOnWheels
03-21-2013, 10:12 AM
I'll be coming by Metro like a big ol' LIMPY McLIMPERSON. :(

Stupid knee. :mad:

Arlingtonrider
03-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Kel,

I can give you a ride home if you don't mind going to the Phoenix Bike Show. FYI to others, I'm going to post a little more info about the happy hour here shortly.

Kathy

Arlingtonrider
03-21-2013, 11:22 AM
If you're coming by bike from the MVT, make a left on Crystal Drive and go a block or two until you see McCormick and Schmicks on your right. Can't miss it. Directly above their sign is a big sign for Baileys. The entrance to Baileys is just after McCormick and Schmicks on Crystal Drive. Just after Baileys are nice racks that are normally for eight bikes. Don't forget that the Phoenix Bike Show will have bike valet near their location (after 6:45 pm) for that part of the evening. The location of the bike valet is on the parking map on their website.

There's bikeshare all over Crystal City, if that helps anyone coming by metro, although it's almost as easy to walk.

If coming by car, I suggest pulling the Crystal City parking map from the Phoenix Bike Show website, www.phoenixbikes.org. It shows several parking garages that are free after 4 p.m. Last night I biked over to check out the one right door next to Baileys (not on the Phoenix Bikes parking map). The entrance from Crystal Drive looked like it led mostly to "residents only" parking, although I was told that the public could park for free after 4 pm in separate areas of that garage. If you're just coming to Baileys, you can try that garage, or you might want to consider the #4 parking site on the Phoenix CC parking map.

A note about payment: Baileys has been wonderful in making our room available and agreeing to do individual checks for over 40 people who are basically all coming and leaving at the same time. In order for that to run as smoothly as possible and get us all out in time to get to the Phoenix Bike Show, they are asking that we all pay by credit card and give them our card with our first order so they can run a tab.

I think that's it! Looking forward to seeing you all tonight!

Bilsko
03-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I think that's it! Looking forward to seeing you all tonight!

Thanks for the update and instructions - you do realize that you're going to get like 40+ free drinks, don't you?

KelOnWheels
03-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Kel,

I can give you a ride home if you don't mind going to the Phoenix Bike Show. FYI to others, I'm going to post a little more info about the happy hour here shortly.

Kathy

Oh that would be awesome! Thanks!

americancyclo
03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
I'll try to make the 440 CaBi meetup as well!

KLizotte
03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Phoenix will also be hosting a bike valet.

jrenaut
03-21-2013, 08:52 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8578060333_6cacb478dd.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/8578060333/)
Bike moustache (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/8578060333/) by thetejon (http://www.flickr.com/people/thetejon/), on Flickr

KelOnWheels
03-21-2013, 09:07 PM

ELITE!

That was awesome!

KayakCyndi
03-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Very ELITE. Tomorrow I'll wear my tiara!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/22/e8yguzu8.jpg

TwoWheelsDC
03-21-2013, 09:29 PM
The 4:40 convoy: me, rcannon, jrenaut, Steve A, Dismal, and AmericanCyclo

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8579220620_36a298cfbe.jpg

Justin Antos
03-21-2013, 11:41 PM
(Most of) Team V in victory!

ArlingtonRider is Queen of Hains Point!

rcannon100
03-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Thank you

Amy
Kathy
Ron
Hans
Mike
Tim and Bike Arlington
Henry and Phoenix Bikes

Congratulations to Team V for Victory.

Thank you for the Swings Coffee Mug!!

Steve
03-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks to all who had a hand in BAFS. It was a great idea from the start (Mike), and the hard work of many (Bob, Ron, Hans, Kathy, all the pointless prize givers, and the riders) it was fun all the way thru. Congrats to all on the huge number of miles and smacking winter in the face!

Also, it was great fun to meet so many of you last night, really an enjoyable time. On the way home, I got a Top 10 trophy on Strava. It was kind of windy and I wasn't riding that fast, so I was very surprised. When I looked at it, I realized only 17 people had rode the segment. That'll bring you back down to earth.

Finally, how awesome is this spring riding!

Greenbelt
03-22-2013, 08:33 AM
That Bike Arlington scarf rocked this morning.

consularrider
03-22-2013, 09:06 AM
That Bike Arlington scarf rocked this morning.
Good for blocking drafts (window and otherwise)?

Amalitza
03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Happy hour was fun! Thanks, Kathy! And it was great meeting everyone.

Unfortunately, the pointless prize coordinator was slightly less coordinated than she should have been. This resulted in a couple pointless prizes being pointlessly forgotten or confused.

I accidentally combined two awards in my brain last night into one. Mark Williams was supposed to win the most circuitous route home for his ~ 130 mile trek on Wednesday (Justin correctly identified as runner up for the second stack of maps for his 90 Tuesday ride). Meanwhile, Christopher was supposed to win an award for his ~150 mile ride over the weekend for the longest ride in the competition. Too many miles. Numbers too big. Brain doesn’t work. Anyway, they were all impressive rides--congratulations.

Another prize didn’t get awarded because I accidentally left it at home. Will, I have a children’s book about a time travelling bike that is supposed to be yours, in honor of your rides in Australia, which by the magic of time zones resulted in your having ridden for 3 days already on January 2 (from our perspective). Would you like it?

And I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with the world’s ugliest flaming bike shorts, so Trish, if you’d like your prize for biggest sandbagger, let me know how to get them to you. (not that i'm sure what you'll do with them, either... :cool:)

Mikey
03-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone for a great BAFS winter. Thanks (in abstentia) for all of the great pointless prizes. I missed not being there last night, I was so close to just cancelling soccer becuase it was freekin' cold last night. I hope everyone had a great time. My cubical is rocking the sweet Bike Arlington scarf, and chain candle sticks. I'd show a picture but my office is behind hush hush closed doors.

See you out on the trails in the Spring, whenever it gets here.

-Mike

GuyContinental
03-22-2013, 09:36 AM

Sideways Kel and her "bowl of sleaze"

Thanks everyone who organized both the event and the happy hour!

vvill
03-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Just another thanks from me to the many organizers, you went above and beyond to make the night fun and inclusive for all. I had no idea there would be so much loot and so many inventive awards. Great to meet lots of new people as well as recognize so many faces.

acl: the time-traveling-bike kids book sounds cool. I'm happy to take it unless you have a better purpose for it - I typically do read to at least one of my kids every night.

Bilsko
03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
One more picture of the group - maybe more later when I d/l from the camera

Amalitza
03-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I do not have any other purpose for the book. Just need to figure out how to get it to you.

eminva
03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Some team photos:

Team Ocho/The Underdogs:

Team 9 Bollard Busters (2nd place):

Team V is for Victory (1st place):

Team S and M:

I Crit My Pants:

eminva
03-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Team FourCuatroPho:

Another configuration of Team V -- at the Phoenix Bike Event, receiving their first place trophies:

Finally, thanks, Dickie, for my Dirty Mustache award!

Sorry for all the red eyes and closed eyes, and sorry I didn't get all the teams.

Liz

ronwalf
03-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Woo - another gift! A developer for ebay just forked the scoreboard code (https://github.com/tm0nk/ba-winter-challenge/) for their own internal challenge. I'm happy to see it reused (especially as a way to encourage cycling).

ShawnoftheDread
03-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Sorry for all the red eyes and closed eyes, and sorry I didn't get all the teams.

Liz

Sad fact: that's the best pic I've taken since middle school.

Bilsko
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
One more picture of the group - maybe more later when I d/l from the camera

As promised a few more:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-K7edvdiz614/UVGnaKJD-0I/AAAAAAAAXko/E5pMLQTya2s/s1105/DSC01535.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WZm5IcCb7hs/UVGoeAjA2rI/AAAAAAAAXk0/cAw9ug2loMk/s1105/DSC01527.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-IpvJUvKFMtE/UVGofDg39xI/AAAAAAAAXk4/nvnumhqtWm4/s1105/DSC01534.JPG

Tim Kelley
03-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Why so serious Mark?

Greenbelt
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM

ronwalf
05-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Greenbelt delivered my BAFS prize a week or so ago - just in time for Ben to fit it!
And the best part about my new assistant is that he hasn't figured out how to escape.

dasgeh
05-10-2013, 10:54 AM
That is SO AWESOME! Where does one procure one of those?

Amalitza
05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
That is SO AWESOME! Where does one procure one of those?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G0NQGY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unless you mean a baby, in which case I don't think I can help you.:o