PDA

View Full Version : VASA RIDE - WABA and the Swedish Embassy

consularrider
02-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Registration is now open for the 2013 Vasa Ride (http://www.waba.org/events/vasaride.php)scheduled for Sunday, March 17. This is two weeks later than it has been usually held.

Two words, BLUEBERRY SOUP!!! :D :D :D Yum, yum! Green beer later at some Irish Pub to celebrate St. Patrick's Day too?

They are also looking for volunteers and bike marshals for all three routes.

crysb
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm down for blueberry soup and green beer! Registered yesterday.

acc
02-03-2013, 08:03 AM
The Swedish Embassy flings open their doors, and elevator :) to the area's great unwashed cycling community!

It is a fun event. Lot's of unusual bikes to gawk at and lots of cyclists to gawk at too.

Blueberry goo? Ugh. But if you're into drinking warm syrup, have at it.

jopamora
02-03-2013, 08:05 AM
The Swedish Embassy flings open their doors, and elevator :) to the area's great unwashed cycling community!

It is a fun event. Lot's of unusual bikes to gawk at and lots of cyclists to gawk at too.

Blueberry goo? Ugh. But if you're into drinking warm syrup, have at it.

Sounds worse than pickled herring.

bobco85
02-04-2013, 08:18 AM
The VASA ride (I did the Halv Vasa) last year was fun, albeit a bit on the cold side (40s and windy). I definitely recommend it as it opened up new areas for me to explore including Glen Echo Park, the roads around Potomac (MD), and that nasty hill climb (read: Strava segment) at the end of MacArthur Blvd to get to Falls Rd (the highest elevation point of the ride).

I call that hill climb nasty only because you'll be climbing steadily before getting to this, which consists of a series of short, undulating climbs while the road haphazardly curves left and right and you'll be dealing with vehicular traffic (which has no problem going uphill, speeding past you, and leaving a trail of fresh exhaust for you to breathe). It presents a different challenge than typical hills on straight roads where you can see the top.

The blueberry soup is, um, weird, but I did like it. To me, it tasted like the blueberry equivalent to hot apple cider.

americancyclo
02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
registered!

Anyone riding in from falls church want to caravan in?

consularrider
02-04-2013, 08:38 AM
registered!

I'll be riding in early since I'll be a bike marshal for the full Vasa and we have to get indoctrinated.

acc
02-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Hey! Thanks for volunteering!!

It's only in the past six months or so that it finally dawned on me how many people are necessary to make these events happen. So, sincerely --- thank you.

KLizotte
02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
The VASA ride (I did the Halv Vasa) last year was fun, albeit a bit on the cold side (40s and windy). I definitely recommend it as it opened up new areas for me to explore including Glen Echo Park, the roads around Potomac (MD), and that nasty hill climb (read: Strava segment) at the end of MacArthur Blvd to get to Falls Rd (the highest elevation point of the ride).

I call that hill climb nasty only because you'll be climbing steadily before getting to this, which consists of a series of short, undulating climbs while the road haphazardly curves left and right and you'll be dealing with vehicular traffic (which has no problem going uphill, speeding past you, and leaving a trail of fresh exhaust for you to breathe). It presents a different challenge than typical hills on straight roads where you can see the top.

I've signed up for the first time this year. What you describe does not sound like fun because of the cars. Do any of the rides avoid this bit of nastiness? I also don't like riding MacArthur Blvd in the road either because of the cars.

Thanks.

bobco85
02-04-2013, 10:28 AM
I've signed up for the first time this year. What you describe does not sound like fun because of the cars. Do any of the rides avoid this bit of nastiness? I also don't like riding MacArthur Blvd in the road either because of the cars.

Thanks.

Mostly the nastiness is when I'm on solo rides on weekday afternoons or weekends midday. It wasn't bad at all during the Vasa Ride last year because it was on a Sunday morning (less drivers) and there were many cyclists around (strength in numbers). For the most part, MacArthur Blvd has a separate trail, but in this particular section the road is one lane in both directions with not much of a shoulder.

I'd recommend looking at the Street View in Google Maps to give you a better idea of that section, and during the ride just stick with a couple of other people and you'll be fine.

consularrider
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks.
I've done the Full and Korte Vasas, and only know the outbound route for the Halv Vasa. Assuming the routes stay pretty much the same, the Korte Vasa (15 mile ride) actually goes east from the House of Sweden and is a mix of trails and streets in the District. Leaving at 9 am, you'll get back before there is a lot of traffic on that Sunday. Both the Full Vasa and the Halv Vasa take MacArthur Blvd from Resevoir Rd out to Great Falls. The full Vasa then takes you on River Rd west of Falls Rd in Potomac, another busy road that gets used a lot by cylists. You turn off River Rd and head to Travilah and on the way back take Oaklyn and Bradley Rds to Bethesda, go over the Georgetown Branch Trail and down Beach Dr. There is another tough climb out of Rockcreek Park on Brandywine St NW.

The 2011 Korte Vasa Route (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73727798)(ignore the part in Virginia which was my ride to and from the event).

The 2012 Full Vasa Route. (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/155006747)

vvill
02-04-2013, 11:47 AM
registered!

Yup! I signed up for the full ride.

DaveK
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
I will probably be out there in some way, shape, or form...

TwoWheelsDC
02-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I may have to sign up now since people I know are riding. If I do sign up, I'm down for convoying with the rest of the west of the river folks.

culimerc
02-05-2013, 08:33 AM
The little Missus and I will be partaking of the Blueberry soup.

makeleleroll
02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
This sounds like a fun event. I'm pretty new to road biking and this would be my first event. Is this event suitable for a newbie like me? Like for a level C rider? Is the path difficult in that there is a lot of car traffic passing close to riders? I'm not worried about terrain, just worried about safety. I'm accustomed to riding mostly trails like the Mt Vernon and WOD.

consularrider
02-07-2013, 08:18 AM
This sounds like a fun event. I'm pretty new to road biking and this would be my first event. Is this event suitable for a newbie like me? Like for a level C rider? Is the path difficult in that there is a lot of car traffic passing close to riders? I'm not worried about terrain, just worried about safety. I'm accustomed to riding mostly trails like the Mt Vernon and WOD.

If you click on the link in my last post (the first one on this page), you can see my GPS track from the 2011 Korte Vasa. Of course, that may or may not be this year's final route. I would say that about 75% of the ride is on DC city streets, some with more some with less traffic, 25% on shared use trails. Depending on the weather that day, I expect there will be several other newbie riders out there, there have been every year I've ridden. From one of my Meetup groups (NOVA-CBG), there are about 10 riders who are doing the short route. This is a relatively casual riding group and at lest two or three of the 10 are newbies too.

Tim Kelley
02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
If you click on the link in my last post you can see my GPS track from the 2011 Korte Vasa.
<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/73727798'></iframe>

That link didn't work for me, but this one did: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73727798

consularrider
02-07-2013, 08:35 AM
That link didn't work for me, but this one did: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73727798
I was trying to imbed an image of the route, and it didn't work. I edited it to delete that mess.

americancyclo
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
only 75 spots left for the VASA ride! I'll do my best to wear a BikeArlington reflective cuff so's I can be recognized. Oh, and the big, purple bike probably helps too!

PeteD
02-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Signed up and ready to caravan in from Falls Church.

bluerider
02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Yep, I am in.

ejwillis62
02-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Can't wait to put some faces to names.

consularrider
02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm hearing that the ride is full and registrations are closed.

Arlingtonrider
02-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm in. Made it before registration closed.

ejwillis62
02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I can't wait. Glad I registered early

dbb
03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
A grand ride today.

Outstanding effort by WABA and the Swedish Embassy.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/VasaRide201303175_zps2966a482.jpg

Those stackable racks were superb. Thanks WABA. What's with the skateboard?

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/VasaRide201303171_zpsea16cb7c.jpg

The riverside start was pretty sweet as well.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/VasaRide201303173_zpsb794ee2d.jpg

At the turnaround, some chose to protect their feet with grocery bags because it was a bit chilly

vvill
03-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Good to see you (and your new bike!). FWIW I found clipless pedals less scary to learn to use than toeclips.

I rode in, and then with americancyclo for a decent distance, then a bit later I found myself the lone outsider amongst a group of non-flying Dutchmen (who also spoke English) but only had one cuesheet between them. For the last leg I ended up riding with various FridayCoffeeClubbers. Drafting a tandem down hills is fun! At the finish while enjoying the blueberry soup I also ran in to JDAntos, crysb and quite a few others. Finally I spun a lap and a half at Hains Pt after seeing consularider.

americancyclo
03-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Great day, although my fingers didn't really thaw for the first hour. Nice riding in with vvill and rob o and seeing so many familiar faces. We took a bit of a detour, bit still got our 59 miles in and made it back for blueberries soup. Pretty good!

PeteD
03-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Had a glimpse of dbb, but I guess I haven't met enough of everyone yet to identify people in a crowd...

KLizotte
03-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Many thanks to WABA and the Swedish Embassy for organizing and hosting. The blueberry soup was great (I love anything with blueberries). Thanks to KIND for the freebies too.

It was cold out today. Hats off to those of you that completed the 59 mile route.

Tim Kelley
03-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Those stackable racks were superb. Thanks WABA. What's with the skateboard?

There is someone who locks their longboard up at the Courthouse Metro station most days. Seems like we need a SkateArlington...

dasgeh
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Glad everyone had fun. I heard a, um, rumor that a team of ELITE cyclists may have passed part of the ride on MacArthur (?) I thought I would have heard something about that...

Tim Kelley
03-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Glad everyone had fun. I heard a, um, rumor that a team of ELITE cyclists may have passed part of the ride on MacArthur (?) I thought I would have heard something about that...

There were a lot of stragglers getting passed here and there, but I saw a paceline of about twenty Cat 2s and 3s cross a double yellow to go around a larger pack of about 75 cyclists riding three abreast. They must have been averaging about 27mph at that point.

vvill
03-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks to KIND for the freebies too.

The fruit/nut bar things were good! The granola tasted fine too although I don't know if a pack of dry granola makes the best mid-ride snack. I was sure my jersey pocket would be full of it by the end of the ride, and I choked a bit trying to eat it without any liquid.

crysb
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
There were a lot of stragglers getting passed here and there, but I saw a paceline of about twenty Cat 2s and 3s cross a double yellow to go around a larger pack of about 75 cyclists riding three abreast. They must have been averaging about 27mph at that point.

Not sure if this is the same group you saw, but we were passed by a group of riders from District Velocity in blue kit somewhere on MacArthur. That route is often used by teams training on weekends, though.

Tim Kelley
03-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Not sure if this is the same group you saw, but we were passed by a group of riders from District Velocity in blue kit somewhere on MacArthur. That route is often used by teams training on weekends, though.

Yup--that was us. I saw you pulling into Potomac Village right as we were pulling out!

DCAKen
03-18-2013, 10:30 AM
A grand ride today.

Outstanding effort by WABA and the Swedish Embassy.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/VasaRide201303171_zpsea16cb7c.jpg

The riverside start was pretty sweet as well.

That was me sitting on the steps in this picture. It was a fun ride out there, but my legs only had 30 miles in them today, even though I had signed up for the 59 mile ride. A touch of bronchitis does take a toll.

bobco85
03-18-2013, 12:36 PM

That's me standing at the sundial with my leggings and three-quarter length bibs. I recorded the ride on my helmet cam, so hopefully later this week I will get a video together for the ride (it will include the inside of that wonderfully smelling bakery in Potomac).

It was a fun ride, even with the MacArthur to Falls climb that reminded me that I'm a bit out of shape. I plan to get my revenge on that hill in a month or 2 where I will still be out of breath but not gasping for air halfway through.

Tim Kelley
03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
It was a fun ride, even with the MacArthur to Falls climb that reminded me that I'm a bit out of shape. I plan to get my revenge on that hill in a month or 2 where I will still be out of breath but not gasping for air halfway through.

That hill never gets any easier--you just go faster.

consularrider
03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Yes, and Strava told me I did a personal best yesterday. But to put that in perspective, I'm 908th out of 1131.

PeteD
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Yup--that was us. I saw you pulling into Potomac Village right as we were pulling out!

Ah, So that was you all passing me as I worked on warming my feet up in the parking lot at the base of Walhonding Rd.

txgoonie
03-18-2013, 03:59 PM

So true.

bobco85
03-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Just finished my video for the Vasa Ride. I'm still working on my iMovie editing skills, but I hope you all enjoy (and maybe identify a few people here and there)!

Vasa Ride 2013 - Halv Vasa: http://youtu.be/hwOg6KtgBTo

DCAKen
03-22-2013, 08:16 PM
You were right behind me for a while (2:20 and 3:13). I'm the one in yellow :)

bobco85
03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
You were right behind me for a while (2:20 and 3:13). I'm the one in yellow :)

I liked your pace, so I tried to keep up without getting too close (I'm big on personal space when biking, close quarters are quite stressful for a big person like myself), at least until the hill up to Falls Road where I had to slow down... a LOT.