PDA

View Full Version : The 180 Embassies Ride

carfreecommuter
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
You've heard of the 50 States Ride, well get ready for The 180 Embassies Ride. This Sunday I plan on riding past every embassy in DC and I invite you along! It's actually going to be a pretty relaxed ride because I want to stop and snap off a photo at most of the good ones. Yeah, I know.....this reeks of tourism but I've lived here several years and I'm moving at the end of January and I want to do something big and memorable.

I plan on leaving from the Canadian Embassy around 8am on Sunday, Jan 9th. The Ride is 35 miles. I'm also going to skip any of the embassies located in an office building (boring) and replace them with some other good stuff (The Egyptian Defense Office looks great!). Feel free to meet up with me at the Canadian embassy on Sunday and post on this thread if you're thinking of coming along. Hope you can make it!

Brad

180 Embassies Ride Cues (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApdvLnnibzs3dGY5S1lQOWtDV1dhR2pVR3dSb04yU 3c&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html)

180 Embassies Ride Map (http://classic.mapmyride.com/route/us/dc/washington/924129453190390460) (courtesy of Dirt)

Mark Blacknell
01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
This is a *fantastic* idea. I've already got a ride commitment on Sunday, but I might have to see about that. In any event, I hope you can share your cue sheet/GPS track afterwards.

Dirt
01-07-2011, 07:13 AM
We do the 50 states ride as a karaoke event. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to do this as one too. ;)

I too have a ride planned, but might have to ditch it for this.

consularrider
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Sounds like an interesting concept. Will have to look at my commitments and post back on Saturday, or maybe see you at the WABA ride. How do we recognize you (if you are willing to share over a public forum)?

carfreecommuter
01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
For the WABA saturday ride I'll be a bike marshal on a red specialized sirrus. I might talk to Dan the bike ambassador and see if he'll let me toss out a few words about the embassy ride. Embassy route is done I'm just formatting it and finishing the google map. I'll post it by tonight!

Dirt
01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm in. I'll be downtown working that morning and afternoon. I might have to cut out in the middle depending on the timing of things. Can you post or send the cue sheet so I can enter it in my GPS? Makes the Nav a little easier.

Thanks! See you at 0800 at the Canadian Embassy.

carfreecommuter
01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Okay I'm finally finished!! It took a lot longer than I expected but I've got an accurate as I can get cue sheet. It looks to be just about 35 miles long.

170 Embassies Ride Cues (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApdvLnnibzs3dGY5S1lQOWtDV1dhR2pVR3dSb04yU 3c&single=true&gid=0&output=html)

The route basically looks like a big spiral that starts at the Canadian Embassy and heads north, then curves left at the north tip of DC looping back down to the river and then back up into embassy row ending next to the naval observatory. The route does a lot of small loops in the crowded areas in order to follow one-way streets and still pass by all of the embassies. You'll also see several U-turns where there was just no good direction to go without going out of the way. I couldn't get Google to cooperate with me too well so I haven't been able to show the route on a map but here is a link to the map I made of embassy locations. I'll try to make a better map if I can.

Embassies of D.C. (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=22nd+St+NW&daddr=Unknown+road+to:23rd+St+NW+to:Q+St+NW+to:Q+S t+NW+to:Massachusetts+Ave+NW+to:Q+St+NW+to:Florida +Ave+NW+to:Florida+Ave+NW+to:S+St+NW+to:24th+St+NW +to:Belmont+Rd+NW+to:Tracy+Pl+NW+to:Belmont+Rd+NW+ to:Wyoming+Ave+NW+to:Kalorama+Rd+NW+to:Wyoming+Ave +NW+to:Tracy+Pl+NW+to:California+St+NW+to:Californ ia+St+NW+to:Leroy+Pl+NW+to:38.917358,-77.047044&hl=en&geocode=FY6-UQIdCVRo-w%3BFdbBUQId7Exo-w%3BFYi-UQId3kxo-w%3BFaS8UQIdHVFo-w%3BFZq8UQIdklto-w%3BFdq5UQIdRGBo-w%3BFZq8UQId22ho-w%3BFQrPUQIdymho-w%3BFQrPUQIdymho-w%3BFULIUQIdY1Fo-w%3BFVTGUQIdDEVo-w%3BFWPUUQId7jdo-w%3BFdbTUQIdbzlo-w%3BFffaUQIdzUFo-w%3BFZTTUQIdyUZo-w%3BFdXaUQIdZlpo-w%3BFQrYUQIdhl9o-w%3BFcrQUQIdikdo-w%3BFQ7OUQIdnj9o-w%3BFQbOUQIddUto-w%3BFaTNUQId3lho-w%3B&mra=mi&mrcr=12&mrsp=21&sz=17&via=1,3,7,8,11,13,15,17&dirflg=w&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207474033159412451891.0004991f2cf842f1f5915&ll=38.909018,-77.038364&spn=0.009751,0.021007&z=16)

carfreecommuter
01-08-2011, 02:29 AM
I'm finally finished!! It took a lot longer than I expected but here is the most accurate cue sheet I could make.

170 Embassies Ride Cues (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApdvLnnibzs3dGY5S1lQOWtDV1dhR2pVR3dSb04yU 3c&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html)

I couldn't get google to cooperate so I don't have a map with the route. Here is the map I made of the embassy locations. I'll see if I can get something better out later.

Embassies of D.C. (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=207474033159412451891.0004991f2cf842f1f5915&ll=38.931105,-77.047462&spn=0.077985,0.168056&z=13)

The route is basically a big spiral that starts at the Canada Embassy and heads north. Once it hits the northern tip of DC it curves left and sweeps back around the river (Georgetown) and then loops back up into embassy row and ends next to the naval observatory. There is a lot of looping in the crowded areas because of one-way streets but it does hit every embassy building in the district.

skreaminquadz
01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Man - I really really wish I could do this one but I have a ride planned. Have fun though and post some pics!

Dirt
01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the cue sheet! Looks like a great ride.

Here's the GPS plot of the ride. http://classic.mapmyride.com/route/us/dc/washington/924129453190390460

I'll have that loaded in my GPS to help with the navigation. It will hopefully help with navigating the route.

I'll see you at 0800 at the Canadian Embassy. I'll be the tall guy riding a fixie with fenders and jinglebells on the handlebars.

Pete

carfreecommuter
01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
180 Embassies Ride Map (http://classic.mapmyride.com/route/us/dc/washington/924129453190390460) (courtesy of Dirt)

180 Embassies Ride Cues (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApdvLnnibzs3dGY5S1lQOWtDV1dhR2pVR3dSb04yU 3c&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html)

Chris Eatough
01-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Have fun guys. We expect to see lots of photos here on Monday!

Dirt
01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
What an amazing ride. It was a lot of fun... definitely monumental. Brad, Chris and I had a great ride. Brad gets HUGE points for putting this ride together. Chris gets HUGE props for being patient while we photographed. It is going to take me a few days to sort through the 348 photos I snapped. I'll post up a link when I'm done.

Thank you Brad and Chris!!

Mark Blacknell
01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
So sorry I couldn't make it, and so cool that y'all managed it. Looking forward to 1) the shots, and 2) the second edition of this ride in the spring. I'll make it happen.

Dirt
01-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Here are the details from yesterday's ride: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/156324

consularrider
01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks to Brad for the planning and inspiration and both Brad and Peter for taking it easy on this old man with all the climbing. I finished with just under 52 miles and 3200 feet of elevation gain. Since I forgot to bring my camera, I too am looking forward to seeing the photos. And where is the Honduras Embassy? The address includes a suite number, so I guess it must be inside the INTELSAT building. Maybe we should substitute the Honduran Consulate at 1014 M St, NW, and we almost went by it anyway? It's not much to look at, but at least they fly the flag!

girlonabikedc
01-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow! Definitely let me know if anyone is up for doing this in the spring!

Dirt
01-11-2011, 06:29 AM
And where is the Honduras Embassy? The address includes a suite number, so I guess it must be inside the INTELSAT building. Maybe we should substitute the Honduran Consulate at 1014 M St, NW, and we almost went by it anyway? It's not much to look at, but at least they fly the flag!
Perhaps Honduras is now a fully-owned subsidiary of Intelsat?

Sorry. I had to say that. ;)

@Brad: I'd love to see the adjusted cue sheet when you've made the 4 or 5 changes that we found while riding it. I'll be happy to lead this one in the spring.

Did I mention that I broke the frame on my mutant cross bike on the ride home? I couldn't have picked a more lovely day to break the frame. It died a warrior's death. :D

Happy Tuesday, y'all.

Pete

skreaminquadz
01-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Did I mention that I broke the frame on my mutant cross bike on the ride home? I couldn't have picked a more lovely day to break the frame. It died a warrior's death. :D

Sorry to hear - how'd you do that? Or did you find a crack in the frame when you got home? Will this be replaced with a Air9 Carbon ; )

carfreecommuter
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I can't believe I haven't posted here yet. This ride was fantastic! Thank you Dirt and Consularrider for making this an incredibe ride! I've written down all of my corrections and will be making the changes to the online version this weekend hopefully. There were a few wrong one-way streets and I have to input Maldives(thanks to consularrider for spotting that one!). Here are some reflections on the ride. We took a relaxed and fun pace and we stopped at everyone of the first 100 embassies to take photos. It was a cold day but the sun was out and the wind made for great flag photo weather. After 6 hours in and out of the saddle with no breaks we decided to stop taking photos. We were only done with about 100 of the 170 embassies. We rode out the rest of the route which was still great but we sadly missed out on some great looking embassies. The best way to do this ride is to really stop and admire each embassy and it's architectural uniquiness. The problem is that makes for a very long day and I doubt that even if we tried we wouldn't have had enough daylight to finish with all the photos. I suggest breaking up the ride into four individual routes to make it more managable. Here is how I suggest making the new routes: Africa(about 50 embassies), Asia(50), Europe(45), Americas & Oceana (40). Like I said I'll buff up the full route this weekend and double check the last embassies we rode past but I'd like to make these more obtainable routes as well. Any thoughts?

Dirt
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
The problem is that makes for a very long day and I doubt that even if we tried we wouldn't have had enough daylight to finish with all the photos. I suggest breaking up the ride into four individual routes to make it more managable.
We just need longer days. :D Springtime will make this possible.

Thanks for your hard work on the route. It was amazing. I've started sorting photos, but there's a lot out there.

carfreecommuter
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah I'll try to post my photos soon too. I put everything else off last weekend finishing the route so now I have to play catch up with my other stuff.

bikesnick
08-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Yesterday I finally attempted the 170 Embassies Ride. A group did the ride several years ago. Thank you for the cue sheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApdvLnnibzs3dGY5S1lQOWtDV1dhR2pVR3dSb04yU 3c&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html) and MapMyRide route (http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/77574632/).
Due to misreading the cue sheet, I bailed before the end - it's hard to read the sheet, watch traffic, and see the embassies by yourself. Even though I only rode past about 120 embassies, it was fun and challenging. It was almost as much fun as the 50 States Ride (http://waba.org/events/50states.php). I have lived in the DC area for many years and there were embassies and roads I had never seen.

Is anyone interested in doing this ride again?
It will take several hours. There is about 1000 feet of climbing and a lot of stop lights and stop signs. Traffic was light on a summer morning in August.

KLizotte
08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
I'd definitely be up for doing this ride but I'm out of town the next three weekends. Sept or later works for me.

Dirt
08-15-2013, 10:03 PM
That ride was a blast when we first did it. I've been wanting to revive it. That may well be one of next year's charity rides. It is a very odd ride. Glad you had fun! We had a heck of a lot of fun putting it together.

americancyclo
08-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Perhaps Honduras is now a fully-owned subsidiary of Intelsat?

Sorry. I had to say that. ;)

@Brad: I'd love to see the adjusted cue sheet when you've made the 4 or 5 changes that we found while riding it. I'll be happy to lead this one in the spring.

Happy Tuesday, y'all.

Pete

Was this when the WTF frame broke for the second time?

Also, would a GPX file with POIs make this a little easier to use with garmin nav? I might have some free time today.

consularrider
08-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Of course it is much more challenging when the temperatures are below freezing or above 100F. I can see one of the problems with trying to following this on my Garmin 500 this time around would be that you recross your route several times. Here's my Garmin read out (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62769300). We were pretty slow and why didn't I ride another 3.05 miles to get my half century in for the day? Of course, it looks like there was some kind of problem on the eastern side of DC. Wonder if I hit the stop button around the Canadian Embassy and didn't realize it until we got to 14th and Shepherd NW.

Dirt
08-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Was this when the WTF frame broke for the second time?

Also, would a GPX file with POIs make this a little easier to use with garmin nav? I might have some free time today.
That was the death of the VooDoo... the bike before the WTF. It was a bike that I was asking to do some things it was never designed to do.

The NAV was done with a Garmin Edge 705. Using an Edge 800 or 810 would be a HUGE improvement. With those you can just add in the different buildings on the cue sheet. Unfortunately with 172 things added to an already INSANE cue sheet, it would be very, very, very long. I was also working 80-100 hour weeks at the time that we did that ride. I didn't have as much time as I'd like to have done the prep work.