PDA

View Full Version : Total 200

Certifried
10-24-2012, 08:14 AM
http://www.total200.com/Registration
I think I'm gonna ride it next year, looked like a lot of fun. Volunteering was fun this year, but it was freakin hot! I'll probably just do the 200km ride

Tim Kelley
10-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Megan (MegaBeth) is in for it next year too. You guys should train together. I bet Pete is going to do it on his fixie.

I'm trying to see who will join me for a Total300?

Certifried
10-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Megan (MegaBeth) is in for it next year too. You guys should train together. I bet Pete is going to do it on his fixie.

Megan would probably drop me :(

Tim, no one likes an over achiever. Well, except your mom maybe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

vvill
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
200 miles is a bit of a stretch for me. 200 kms I could probably do but I don't know how much fun I'd have.

At Hains Pt?

culimerc
10-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Certifried- I tried it twice and it was actually cooler this year than the first year I tried.

I did the 200k last year, and it wasnt too bad. I blew up at the 160 mile mark a couple of years ago due to heat and my stomach locking up.

So, I've already signed up (sigh) again. Cause if it *really* hurts, why wouldnt want to keep doing it. :confused:

eminva
10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Hmm . . . I always look for something new to do each year. Could I do this? What are the time limits? I have done a W&OD century averaging about 16 mph by myself. I think I could do another 20 miles at that pace. I've done virtually no group riding, but I guess if I could learn to do that, I could go faster? (Forgive my ignorance here -- I'm a one trick pony).

I assume the date is determined due to the amount of light available? Because you sure aren't getting the best weather then.

If I can't ride it, I would like to volunteer because it is such an interesting event.

Liz

Dirt
10-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Total200 requires very good preparation and a bit of luck... or at least a lack of bad luck. I completed the route last year with a small group in September (with Tim, Mark and Sean). This year I set out to do it fixie. My preparation was flawless. My bad luck was getting sick the week before. I had trouble with food for a few days leading into the ride and the day of, I just couldn't eat. Trying to fuel that kind of effort just isn't possible when you're not able to take in calories. I pulled the plug just before mile 80. Had there been daylight, I could have backed the pace off a bit and rolled the last 20+ miles in. The roads at the end of the ride are NOT particularly friendly in the dark. For that reason, it is a very good idea to make it before sunset.

The date is definitely picked to maximize daylight. 115+ degree heat index was NOT very pleasant to ride in this year. I am still contemplating giving it another shot in 2013.

Megabeth
10-24-2012, 12:44 PM
200 miles is a bit of a stretch for me. 200 kms I could probably do but I don't know how much fun I'd have.

Come on, I'm doing the whole enchilada. I'm a giant ball of f-bomb dropping fun when I'm tired. You know you don't want to miss that!

Megabeth
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Megan would probably drop me :(

Aw, shucks. I don't know about that. I'm just going to go into survival mode, not Strava QOM mode, on this ride.

Tim Kelley
10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Aw, shucks. I don't know about that. I'm just going to go into survival mode, not Strava QOM mode, on this ride.

Funny anecdote--I got a KOM in the last half mile of the T200 this year. Unfortunately it didnt last that long. I need to get back out there to that parking lot again...

vvill
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
giant ball of f-bomb dropping fun

Sounds wonderful... I'll consider it. Looks like you can get a refund before May 2013. I should know by then if I have a chance of completing it.

Certifried
10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
I figure I'll sign up regardless. When I volunteered, it was SUPER hot (the weekend after the "derecho") and a lot of the riders who had signed up for the 200M switched over to the 200K. The organizers didn't seem to mind, as long as the riders notified the volunteers. They *really* did a great job, they had every single rider accounted for, even ones who lived near the route and had bailed out of the ride.

eminva
10-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I looked at the registration, and if you register for the 200 MILES distance before November 6th, it is actually cheaper than registering for the 200 KILOMETER distance as a late bird (after May 6, 2013). So, Certifried, vvill and any other lurkers on the fence, I say register now for the 200M and you can always back off to the 200K when the time gets closer if need be.

Yours in insanity,

Liz

KelOnWheels
10-25-2012, 06:46 AM
See, you people with the ideas and the talking and then the ideas they get in my head and I start thinking sure, why not sign up for a 200 mile ride? It's only a little farther than my 10 mile commute, right? SEE WHAT YOU DO?! ;)

Arlingtonrider
10-25-2012, 07:01 AM
I plan to register for the T200 foot ride. ;) Will see you all at one of the volunteer stations.

consularrider
10-25-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm still trying to make up my mind on this one, but I do want to do this again with the full distance plus the ride to and from the start/finish. It's tough when you don't know your travel schedule even one month out. ;)

culimerc
10-25-2012, 08:55 AM
I figure I'll sign up regardless. When I volunteered, it was SUPER hot (the weekend after the "derecho") and a lot of the riders who had signed up for the 200M switched over to the 200K. The organizers didn't seem to mind, as long as the riders notified the volunteers. They *really* did a great job, they had every single rider accounted for, even ones who lived near the route and had bailed out of the ride.

Actually it was the morning directly after the derecho came through. I almost didnt make it cause no gas stations were open and I was running on fumes to get down there. Plus there was constant debris on the shoulders that kept us out further into the roads when it was less than optimal. Trees down everywhere in the more remote sections too. Still much fun was had!!

KelOnWheels
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
I spose I'll sign up for the 200km - I think I could train for that by July if I get a new bike for Xmas like I am hoping :D

125 miles on a 35 pound MTB, on the other hand, doesn't sound like fun.

vvill
11-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Hmm, two more days of early registration to decide if I wanna attempt this. I guess given that this year's was the day after the derecho and 100F+, next year's conditions should be relatively easy unless something freaky happens.

eminva
11-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Hmm, two more days of early registration to decide if I wanna attempt this. I guess given that this year's was the day after the derecho and 100F+, next year's conditions should be relatively easy unless something freaky happens.

I signed up. Worst case scenario, my plans change, I cancel my registration and I'm out $25. Best case scenario, I turn over a new decade with a classic midlife crisis trophy accomplishment.

Liz

OneEighth
11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I signed up. Worst case scenario, my plans change, I cancel my registration and I'm out $25. Best case scenario, I turn over a new decade with a classic midlife crisis trophy accomplishment.

Liz

You're 29?!?

Dirt
11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I have unfinished business with this ride.

Tim Kelley
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
No one has taken me up on Total300. How about Total400K? Thats only 248 miles...

eminva
11-04-2012, 05:53 AM
You're 29?!?

No, that's Tim Kelley you are thinking of.

No one has taken me up on Total300.

Tim, that's just 100 laps around Hains Point. I'll come cheer for you!

Liz

ronwalf
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I guess given that this year's was the day after the derecho and 100F+, next year's conditions should be relatively easy unless something freaky happens.
The Euro is predicting a nor'easter hurri-quake-maggedon.

culimerc
11-05-2012, 08:12 AM
I have unfinished business with this ride.

You and me both Brutha'

vvill
11-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm gonna pass on this. Needs a little too much commitment over the year for me. Maybe I'll do 31 laps at Hains Pt on the day instead. Have fun all!

The Euro is predicting a nor'easter hurri-quake-maggedon.

:D

Tim, I think you need to do a randonneur ride. You might look a little out of place on the Felt with aero helmet though.

Certifried
11-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Today is the last day for early registration discount prices.

I'm signed up :)

KelOnWheels
11-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Today is the last day for early registration discount prices.

I'm signed up :)

I is broke, I will have to pay the more money prices later on :P