PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Biking Pics

bobco85
10-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Alright, it's been almost two weeks and I've been lazy about uploading the pictures, but here are some shots from my recent trip to Seattle: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/album.php?albumid=28

A few things I noticed (on foot, on bike, in a car, in a bus, and on the light rail):
- there are bike lanes scattered throughout the city, especially downtown
- there are multiple roads that have a bus-only lane (including I-5, which made for quick and efficient bus routes between downtown Seattle and my hostel in the University District)
- both I-5 and I-90 feature variable speed limits, and the one day I rented a car (went to Mount Rainier, absolutely beautiful) even coming back in rush-hour traffic it was slower but smoother (no gridlock, more a slow flow)
- people in the Seattle area drive, bike, and walk less distracted than the DC area
- people in the Seattle area drive less aggressively than the DC area, especially around cyclists
- people found it weird that I was calling all my passes (what's up with that?), and I rarely if ever heard someone call their pass
- the best time to visit Seattle is August/September because I actually got to see the sun shining for most of my 5-day trip

Also, I think that what they did with the University Bridge could be easily and painlessly used for Key Bridge. I think a lane from the bridge should be converted into a two-way separated cycletrack on the south side that would enable pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles all their own space for that congested area.

I made extensive use of the transit system, and found it mostly reliable. If anyone should be traveling to Seattle, please let me know as I have lots of recommendations!

KLizotte
10-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Cool pics but where was the sun you referred to?!

bobco85
10-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Cool pics but where was the sun you referred to?!

For the first 4 days of my trip, it was overcast in the morning until around 10-11 when the sky would clear up and the sun came through. The 5th and 6th (just the morning) days were the only overcast, "typical Seattle weather" days. Apparently (verified by local "Seattleans" (?)) if you go in August/September you do get to see the sun and it's nice and warm in the 70's.

Proof that it wasn't just overcast every day of my trip:

1808 Day 1: the hostel I stayed at (College Inn)

1809 Day 2: the Seattle skyline from the harbor

1810 Day 3: Mount Rainier

1811 Day 4: Boeing Museum of Flight

Day 5 was my bike ride, and Day 6 was really just the early morning trip to the airport.

Also, I ran across two separate couples who were traveling from Seattle down the West Coast to San Francisco/Los Angeles and visiting places like Portland on the way. It seems like a good vacation idea.