PDA

View Full Version : Why is Arlington so mean to me???

Dirt
10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
It seems like every time I go for a long ride and I'm returning home tired and in need of a peaceful, joyous welcome, I am greeted with 41st Street, Glebe Road and Williamsburg Blvd. Falls Church adds insult to injury with West street.

Sometimes I just want to cry. :(

I want a town that loves me and welcomes me home with flat, smooth pavement and a tail wind no matter which direction I'm going. Any hills should have a Starbucks at the top.

But seriously folks....

Can you tell I rode a lot on Sunday? Totally joking with the above stuff. I wouldn't flatten Arlington if I had the opportunity. Gravity is half the fun. :D

Have bike, --> will whine!

Love,

Pete

Tim Kelley
10-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey Pete, what are your top 3 toughest hills in Arlington?

41st street for sure--but what else?

RideTheWomble
10-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Tim -- NOW you've done it. Queue up the Kill Bill 2 misery!

Pete -- You just have to buy Prince Bandar's old house in McLean, so you can END all your rides down near the Chain Bridge.

Dirt
10-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Here's the map of Kill Bill http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/va/falls-church/774128363920277604

@Tim: My fave is Monroe Street. Second fave is a tie between 24th Street/Upton St. N and 41st Street.

Monroe Street is located of Lorcom Lane. As you're driving West on Lorcom, turn left on Monroe. (Between mile 21 and 22 of Kill Bill)
24th/Upton is located off Lorcom Lane. If you're driving West on Lorcom, turn right onto Taylor, turn left onto 24th Street N, then turn left onto Upton. ( Just after mile 23of Kill Bill) That combination hurts.
41st street you know. That's the little lane that comes up from Chain Bridge as an alternative to Glebe Rd. (Between miles 18 and 19 of Kill Bill)

That may be because I always seem to catch Monroe street toward the end of a ride and it is something that I add in to help my self esteem (help eliminate that is).

@Womblehead -- I've got that on my to do list.

@Tim: Have a road bike? I've got a weekend where I can ride both Saturday and Sunday. I'm pretty beat from last weekend, but I would enjoy sampling some of Arlington's finest with you. We could do a Bike Arlington tour of the leg breakers. :D

Lemme know.

Dirt
10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
I would be remiss without mentioning my other faves. Pollard and 26th streets. Pollard is so awesome because you come around a corner on a slight up-hill and you're faced with this wall of blacktop in front of you. If you haven't ridden it before, it can be a surprise. The other hills on the list you see them a bit before you have to pedal up them.

26th street isn't that steep, it is just long. It just keeps going.

So those 5 are my top 3 favorite hills in Arlington. :D

Tim Kelley
10-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Pete--I'd like to take a rain check on that hill ride!

Between a newborn at home, and tapering for Ironman Florida (you think these hills are tough--try doing a double metric century of 3 mile loops around Hains Point) I need to take it for the next two weeks!

How about mid-November? Maybe see if any other forum readers would like to join us?

Dirt
10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Here's a few screen shots of where these lovelies are. I love the interwebs. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/sets/72157625204127690/

Talk to you soon.

Pete

Dirt
10-20-2010, 09:10 AM
@Tim: You wimp. ;)

Totally kidding. Definitely take a raincheck. November will be perfect. I could use a few more days of recovery from my MoCo oddyssey from last weekend.

Good luck with both the newborn and the Ironman.

consularrider
10-20-2010, 12:52 PM
What I love about the Kill Bill V2 route is that there are lots of sharp right turns followed by an immediate climb! That way you lose most of your momentum before you even start. I see you have V3 which includes the agony of 41st from Chain Bridge that was missing from my V2 cue sheet (is there a V1?). Is it really only 1300 feet of elevation gain?

Tim Kelley
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, 1300 ft seems a bit on the low side....can you verify this with some GPS unit readings?

skreaminquadz
10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Ha - I had no idea that was 41st Street. I try to avoid that wall (I don't even like going down it). I tried that climb a year ago on my single speed, that was a joke that would never again be attempted (by me at least).

I'm intrigued by this Kill Bill route - I should try it out.

Dirt
10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Yeah, 1300 ft seems a bit on the low side....can you verify this with some GPS unit readings?

MapMyRide's elevation amounts and profiles are not accurate. If I recall correctly the loop ends up being around 4800 feet of climbing. I'll see if I can dig up a GPS plot of a similar ride.

Dirt
10-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm intrigued by this Kill Bill route - I should try it out.
Tim and I talked about giving it a go in November when things mellow out for him. If you want company, I might be able to be induced to ride it before that.

consularrider
10-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I tried 41st St uphill from Chain Bridge for the first time with my new road bike. Found I couldn't make the 25 - 30% grade with my 34/26 lowest combination where the road effectively becomes a sidewalk/path for about 10 yards. Guess I need more hill work.

Dirt
10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
The hill is quite sinister. :D That's why I love it. Even stopping on the steep section isn't easy if you've got roadie shoes on. :D

Tim Kelley
10-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I've taken a handful of friends up 41st street and the majority of them have tipped over on the last little really steep stretch.

Perfect example of my own personal light-hearted schadenfreude...

Dirt
10-27-2010, 08:39 AM
My friend Joe has a sticker on the back of his bike, "Follow me to certain death". I completely support that mentality. :D

consularrider
10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I've taken a handful of friends up 41st street and the majority of them have tipped over on the last little really steep stretch.

Perfect example of my own personal light-hearted schadenfreude...

Yep, that was me on Sunday, tipping over at 2 mph.:eek: I made it riding my old mountain bike without too much trouble, think I made on my old road bike with a 30/28 combination. As I said, I'll keep trying.

OneEighth
12-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Okay, old thread, but what? No love for Walter Reed from 4 Mile Run toward Glebe? And then down again...on a fixie?

Dirt
12-07-2010, 07:19 AM
I love that climb, but it takes 2-3 miles of level riding just to connect it into a loop. I prefer to stay further north where the hills kill you over and over with little or no time for recovery. :D

OneEighth
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I hear you---it isn't worth doing if you can't over-do it!

Dirt
12-15-2010, 08:07 PM
I'll add one observation to this thread...

There's a reason why McKinley Street got its name.

Hugs and Kisses,

Pete

carfreecommuter
01-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey Dirt, can I suggest a slight addition to your Kill Bill V3 route?

Between mile 20 and 21 swing a left onto Beachwood Cir and loop left. It's a much steeper climb than Military Road and you can connect back only adding 0.2 miles. I did it on a run a few weeks ago and I was struggling at the top. I recommend trying it out.

carfreecommuter
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey Dirt,

A suggetion for your Kill Bill V3 route. Between Mile 20 and 21 take a left onto Beechwood Cir and loop left. That hill is much steeper than Military Rd and you can connect back into your route with only an extra 0.1 mile added.

Dirt
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey Dirt,

A suggetion for your Kill Bill V3 route. Between Mile 20 and 21 take a left onto Beechwood Cir and loop left. That hill is much steeper than Military Rd and you can connect back into your route with only an extra 0.1 mile added.

Perfect. I also need to find a way to incorporate McKinley in there too. It isn't the steepest, but it is long enough that if added toward the end of the loop, it'll make me want to cry like a baby.

OneEighth
01-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Give a heads-up if you ever decide to attempt this on your steel fixie.

Dirt
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Give a heads-up if you ever decide to attempt this on your steel fixie.

Won't happen. I've got tights, but I own neither a cape, nor a big red S on my chest. Last time I did the whole loop, I needed the 36x25 on a pretty light weight bike.

OneEighth
01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Reality truly does bite.
Still, it might be fun to come up with some sort of modified hill ride that is survivable on a fixie (40+ year old knees notwithstanding).
Just a thought. Will have to noodle on this a bit myself.

Dirt
01-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Reality truly does bite.
Still, it might be fun to come up with some sort of modified hill ride that is survivable on a fixie (40+ year old knees notwithstanding).
Just a thought. Will have to noodle on this a bit myself.

I like reality. I visit there sometimes... Not often though. Too depressing. ;)

I totally agree that we need a fixie climbing loop. There are plenty of hills out there that will stab you, but not kill you too badly on a fixie. I have one that I use in Falls Church when I need a quick hammerfest. It is only 6 miles, but has enough ups and downs to make you want for recovery time.