PDA

View Full Version : 50 States Ride on September 22nd

bluerider
08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Anyone planning to do this years 50 States Ride?

http://www.waba.org/events/50states.php

Certifried
08-24-2012, 08:02 AM
I want to, really really want to.

Certifried
08-24-2012, 08:07 AM
I want to, really really want to.

soooo.... I wanted to so bad, I went ahead and signed up.

"Thanks for registering for the 50 States &13 Colonies Ride! A confirmation message has been sent to the email address you provided. If you have any questions regarding your registration, contact us at events@waba.org or 202.518.0524 x202."

anyone else going with me? :)

consularrider
08-24-2012, 08:50 AM
This is actually one of my favorite rides in the area. My only gripe is that I always get to Eastern Market well before the official lunch break time, so I'm skipping that this year. Oh yeah, I'm registered. And also for the PPTC Backroads Century the following day in Berryville.

eminva
08-24-2012, 09:19 AM
I can't do it this year due to family events, but I did it last year and I'm glad to have done it. For being "lightly supported" I thought it was an extremely well organized event. The cue sheet is seven pages long so you really have to be on your toes. If they do the same route as last year, there is a long gap between the Eastern Market pit stop and the one at AU, so make sure you bring plenty of water or keep your eyes peeled for 7-11s or corner stores.

It was fun riding with little groups of people, which randomly changed as the day wore on. That helped with the wayfaring.

I had the sense that a lot of people dropped off along the way -- I know we were getting more spread out, but the numbers did seem to fall off.

Oh, and every state street that starts with "A" has an unfortunate hill in it or near it.

Here's a thread (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1004-WABA-50-States-Ride/page2)where I posted a review, as well as a collage I made from photos of all 50 state signs.

Liz

vvill
08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
I've never done it, want to do it and have been told I should do it at least once in my life. I'll see how my schedule pans out.

ShawnoftheDread
08-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I'd like to do it, but the most I've ever ridden on my hybrid is 45 miles. So, is it doable on a 32 pound, flat bar bike?

eminva
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
So, is it doable on a 32 pound, flat bar bike?

Well, it's doable, but it's not like riding 65 miles on the W&OD. You have to constantly start and stop, so you don't really have the chance to build any momentum. The heavier the bike, the more weight you're moving each time you push off. Conversely, the flat bars are probably okay because you're going to want to be upright most of the time to see street signs and traffic. You wouldn't be speeding along in your aero position anyway, even if you were riding such a bike.

I wouldn't discourage you -- the nice thing about the ride is that if you get tired, you are never far from the metro or a good turnaround point if you just want to stop and go home.

Liz

consularrider
08-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd like to do it, but the most I've ever ridden on my hybrid is 45 miles. So, is it doable on a 32 pound, flat bar bike?
I rode it on my 35 pound, flat bar rigid mountain bike in 2009 because I wanted the fenders since the forecast was for rain. Oh wait, I seem to remember we get some rain on the ride just about every year. Lots of people ride it on hybrids or mountain bikes.

dbb
08-24-2012, 01:40 PM

I'll be on my hybrid. We can succeed or suffer together!

TwoWheelsDC
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
My only wish is that WABA would release the cue sheet the day before...seems like a waste of paper to give out such a large cue sheet to everyone when lots of riders have Garmins...not to mention the pain in the a** of having to deal with an ungodly long cue sheet for 60+ miles of urban riding.

bluerider
08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
My only wish is that WABA would release the cue sheet the day before...seems like a waste of paper to give out such a large cue sheet to everyone when lots of riders have Garmins...not to mention the pain in the a** of having to deal with an ungodly long cue sheet for 60+ miles of urban riding.

I sent an email to WABA on this very subject. Hopefully, something can be done.

eminva
08-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Last year, they did make the data file, suitable for download to the Garmin, available on the website a couple of days before the event.

I was sworn to secrecy, but I had to get the cue sheet in advance last year. I had no Garmin technology at that time, and I knew I wouldn't be able to read the cue sheet without my reading glasses, which I didn't want to wear on the ride for obvious reasons. I asked for the cue sheet in advance so I could enlarge it before printing it. They did accommodate me, but made it clear it was a very special exception. I also think they should make it widely available. It would allow participants to go over the route with a map the evening before. It's such a complicated route we need all the help with can get with navigating it.

In my earlier message, I should have pointed out another advantage of a mountain bike or hybrid: the roads are a bit rough in places, so that will allow for a smoother ride.

Liz

bluerider
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
I am in contact with WABA. They are primarily worried about "bandit riders" that don't pay to the privilege of the ride but use the cue sheet to join in without paying. I understand their concerns about I think the "bandit" impact would be minimal. We are trying to work something out.

jopamora
08-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Signed up. Now to find a good place to meet the family for lunch.

bikesnick
08-25-2012, 02:28 PM
we are signed up! this is a hard ride, but worth the effort for a great tour of the city with other riders.

aflapr
08-28-2012, 01:33 PM
I signed up - I plan to do the "13 colonies" ride, but will be riding in and back from Falls Church.

Rootchopper
08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I signed up. Also doing Backroads metric century the next day. As for bike styles, I've ridden the 50 States 4 times: on a recumbent, a Bike Friday and a touring bike. All worked just fine. (I'm undecided on my choice of steed for this year.)

We don't need no stinking Garmins! The cue sheet is part of the challenge. Of course, you can always do what I did at the start last year and follow Eric Guilliland (sp?) who seemed to know the route cold and was very good with hand signals.

It's quite a fun ride. You will visit every part of the city and come to appreciate it in an entirely new way. And you're climbing skills will be superb after the finish.

Speaking of finish, go to the after party. Pizza. Bbeer. Bragging rights.

Justin Antos
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm in too. Rode it for the first time last year, and it was pretty much the most fun thing ever. A grand adventure in your own backyard!

culimerc
08-29-2012, 09:10 AM
I rode a bunch of years ago and was shocked at exactly how hilly DC really is.

chris_s
08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Ack - still paralyzed by indecision on whether I should attempt the 50 States or settle for the 13 Colonies.

KelOnWheels
08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
I think I'm going to do the 13 Colonies :)

bikesnick
08-29-2012, 12:11 PM
The cue sheet is part of the challenge.

ha, yes indeed. a few years ago the group we were in missed a turn somewhere and we stopped to determine how to get back on the cue sheet. i brought out the folded dc bike map and my friend brought out his new iphone. we had a race to see who could find the missed turn first. i almost beat him, if not for the all the folds in the map.

OutsideTheLaw
08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm also signed up and looking forward to it with some trepidation. Also have not decided whether to ride my commuting bike (Trek 7.5FX) or road bike (Madone). Would very much like to joint with a group of folks of average commuting speed (12-15 mph overall), not the race types.

chris_s
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Oh sweet, you don't have to pick at time of registration so I can continue to vacillate until the day of the ride.

consularrider
09-06-2012, 10:35 AM
You can also volunteer (https://docs.google.com/a/waba.org/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dHcycndmOWpwLWgtbDR4cDlmdzJnQ Wc6MQ) to be a bike marshal and ride for free.

TwoWheelsDC
09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
ICYMI, WABA provided the cue sheets online via email (went to my gmail spam folder, so if you didn't see it, that may be why), but they used MapMyRide which absolutely does not work for me...not on my laptop, not on my desktop, not on my work computer, not with Chrome, not with Firefox, not with IE. Thankfully, I was able to export the GPX file, even if the MMR viewer wouldn't show the route, and got it imported into RideWithGPS. phew!

Certifried
09-19-2012, 01:09 PM
So, who all is signed up for this now? (it's sold out if you're not).

I'm planning on doing the 50 States ride, and am hoping to find some riding partners. At least for part of the ride, I might bail if I get too tired later on. It will be my biggest ride since I started back up riding (plenty of century rides in the past... 10 years ago lol). It's also quite challenging as has been noted, so I'll be looking for a 12-13 MPH average I guess, even that might be optimistic.

ShawnoftheDread
09-19-2012, 01:11 PM
I didn't sign up yet, so I guess I'm too late. Sad panda.

aflapr
09-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I am signed up. However, due to obligations later in the day, I'm limiting myself to the 13 Colonies ride. I will be riding in and back from the Falls Church area. I ride a green Kona commuter and have red/green "Nav light" pedals.

(I think someone made a COLREGS reference a few days ago...I don't have the lighting down, but this is a close second.)

eminva
09-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Certifried, you will have no trouble finding riding companions. I also found that the course marshals tried to space themselves so that each little group had support. The last 10-15 miles last year I was by myself, which was my own doing -- I stopped at a friend's house along the way. After our visit, I probably could have waited for another group to join, but I was okay to finish on my own.

In terms of pace, I suppose if you set your Garmin to auto-pause, you would sustain that sort of average. But bear in mind there will be a lot of stop-and-start, and if you include your stopped time, your average would be a lot less than what you are used to in your leisure cycling (and this applies to everyone, not you specifically). I found it best not to even focus on that and just have fun in whatever time as it took.

Liz

consularrider
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
I didn't sign up yet, so I guess I'm too late. Sad panda.
They need more volunteer bike marshals, so if you want to ride ...

I'll be on my commuter for its fenders and carrying capacity.

ShawnoftheDread
09-19-2012, 03:11 PM
They need more volunteer bike marshals, so if you want to ride ...

I'll be on my commuter for its fenders and carrying capacity.

I know, but I can't attend the mandatory marshall meeting tomorrow night.

TwoWheelsDC
09-19-2012, 03:11 PM
So, who all is signed up for this now? (it's sold out if you're not).

I'm planning on doing the 50 States ride, and am hoping to find some riding partners. At least for part of the ride, I might bail if I get too tired later on. It will be my biggest ride since I started back up riding (plenty of century rides in the past... 10 years ago lol). It's also quite challenging as has been noted, so I'll be looking for a 12-13 MPH average I guess, even that might be optimistic.

I'm gearing up for comfort, not speed, so I don't expect my pace will be particularly brisk. Too many stoplights and bad roads to fuss with the road bike, so I'm rolling on my CX commuter. The ride goes pretty much right past my house at mile 31, so it'll be tempting to stop at home for a break, but I'm lazy and probably would give up the ride entirely if I did that. As it is, I'm looking forward to this as a serious trial run for my shiny new Garmin 800.

Anyway, I'm definitely up for partnering up...I'll look for you tomorrow at happy hour and we can chat.

Rootchopper
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
This will be my 5th 50 States Ride. My starting group has never made it to the finish intact. The starts and stops tend to splinter groups. So even if you don't start in a group, you'll find yourself embedded in one (then another and another). Last year we started with 7, lost 2 at the lunch stop where we picked up a 6th. About 30 miles in one of our group split off. He re-joined us near mile 50. We had a great time.

I've also started solo and ended up riding with a group twice.

Forget about your speed. This is an all day affair. You will wear out your brakes from all the stop signs and red lights, particularly in the first 15 miles. After that the flow improves.

chris_s
09-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Turns out I'm going to have the two year old in tow so it's 13 Colonies for me. I should be tough to miss on my Blue Giant hybrid with neon-green iBert child carrier on the front (with raucous blondie boy in the seat) if anybody wants to meet up.

Certifried
09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I figured there would be plenty of starts/stops/me-walking-up-hills LOL I was just trying to throw a number out there so people had an idea of my riding speed. I hate getting in groups with people who say "oh, it's OK, we won't drop you" only to hold them up and make them wish they'd dropped me hah. Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like I won't have to cry in a corner because no one wants to play with a kind old clown (aren't I sweet looking?)

Rod Smith
09-19-2012, 06:26 PM
I'll be wearing a red DCBCA jersey, white, blue and red Giro Pneumo, gray baggy shorts. Riding a silver Marin Hybrid. Say hi if you see me!

Certifried, I think your average speed estimate is quite reasonable for a rider of your strength. I've only done the ride once and I didn't have a bike computer so I don't know how fast I went.

If anyone wants to meet up, ride together, PM your cell #. I'd kinda like to meet my arch-nemisis in the National Bike Challenge and longtime internet acquaintance, consularrider.

I've paid for the lunch, so I'm planning on taking a longish break at that stop.

bluerider
09-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I will be there. The start of the ride occurs right across the street from my house at Walter Pierce Park. I will be on my Blue Norcross EX with my bright blue shoes. Do you want to make a meet up spot for forum members that want to ride together (or at least try to ride together)?

Rod Smith
09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I will be there. The start of the ride occurs right across the street from my house at Walter Pierce Park. I will be on my Blue Norcross EX with my bright blue shoes. Do you want to make a meet up spot for forum members that want to ride together (or at least try to ride together)?

How about breakfast at your place? Just an idea...

bluerider
09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
How about breakfast at your place? Just an idea...

I am not very impressive in the kitchen but if anyone needs anything I am happy to share. We could met in front on my building I suppose.

jopamora
09-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Count me in as a riding partner, but I do have to head home between 2pm - 3pm. I didn't purchase a lunch, just gonna wing it. I'll be on my white commuter bike with one or two blue panniers.

I tried out the stretch from the MBT to Rock Creek Church. I won't be making the same mistake of turning off Hawaii onto Fort Totten Dr again.

ocsi_baci
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Is anyone else having problems getting the mapmyride app to upload the route for the 50 State?

Thanks,

Certifried
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Is there a quick guide on how to get the mapmyride route loaded on to my garmin for navigation?

bluerider
09-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Is there a quick guide on how to get the mapmyride route loaded on to my garmin for navigation?

Take the GPX file you downloaded and select "copy." Plug in your Garmin and navigate to your Garmin under My Computer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) like any harddrive. Browse through the folders on your Garmin until you get to "NewFiles". Open the folder and "paste" your 50 States GPX file into the folder. Then, eject your Garmin and boot it up. You should find your course in the appropriate spot.

TwoWheelsDC
09-20-2012, 12:57 PM

To the right of the (probably non-functional) map display, you'll see an "export this route" option. Export it as a .gpx file (this actually worked for me, despite my problems with MMR...it just took a couple minutes to load). Then you can either copy it directly to your Garmin (go to file explorer, Garmin device>Garmin Folder>NewFiles and copy it there...or, if you have an 800 or similar model, you can import that .gpx file into RideWithGPS and add the rest stops, etc to a cue sheet, and then export it again as a TCX (and do the same file copying process to get it on the device).

Certifried
09-20-2012, 01:39 PM
thanks all, got it in! As well as another route I wanted to test the nav feature with before Saturday :)

bluerider
09-20-2012, 02:36 PM
So, if anyone wants to ride together we can all meet in front of 2611 Adams Mill Road NW. If PM me, I will provide on phone number so you can text me if you can't find the group. After the ride, I am planning to go down to the Mellow Mushroom to enjoy some food and adult beverages if anyone wants to join.

Rod Smith
09-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Cool. I'll look for you around 8:30?

Brendan von Buckingham
09-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm registered for tomorrow's ride, but don't see anything about where check-in is. All I can find is "Adams Morgan." Am I crazy? Where's check in for the 50 States tomorrow.

bluerider
09-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm registered for tomorrow's ride, but don't see anything about where check-in is. All I can find is "Adams Morgan." Am I crazy? Where's check in for the 50 States tomorrow.

WABA sent out an email a couple of days ago with all the information and links to the GPX file for GPS users. The check in is at Walter Pierce Park on Adams Mill Road starting at 7:30. The rides starts at 9:00 from that location.

Certifried
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
So, if anyone wants to ride together we can all meet in front of 2611 Adams Mill Road NW. If PM me, I will provide on phone number so you can text me if you can't find the group. After the ride, I am planning to go down to the Mellow Mushroom to enjoy some food and adult beverages if anyone wants to join.

PM sent! Hopefully everyone who wants to group up sees this. I'm definitely interested in riding with some folks (at least until I get dropped LOL)

Brendan von Buckingham
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks. I got my registration confirmation email on 8/24, but nothing since then.

TwoWheelsDC
09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks. I got my registration confirmation email on 8/24, but nothing since then.

Check your spam folder...that's where mine was.

consularrider
09-21-2012, 01:55 PM
WABA sent out an email a couple of days ago with all the information and links to the GPX file for GPS users. The check in is at Walter Pierce Park on Adams Mill Road starting at 7:30. The rides starts at 9:00 from that location.
Note that this is different than the past two years (but the same as 2008 and 2009). 13 colonies starts at 9:30.

bluerider
09-21-2012, 02:05 PM
My rough plan is the check in and hangout on my building's stoop around 8:30. Again, the address is 2611 Adams Mill Road. Any forum members that want to ride together can meet up there and prepare for battle.

TwoWheelsDC
09-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm hoping my brake pads survive the day. They've been ground down by rain grit (thanks C&O!) and I think they've pretty much given up. At the very least, they'll have to be replaced immediately after the ride.

Brendan von Buckingham
09-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Check your spam folder...that's where mine was.

D'oh! There it was. I'm cognitively exhausted. A 60-mile ride will fix that.

consularrider
09-21-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm hoping my brake pads survive the day. They've been ground down by rain grit (thanks C&O!) and I think they've pretty much given up. At the very least, they'll have to be replaced immediately after the ride.
Please make sure you are the rabiit! ;)

Certifried
09-21-2012, 05:37 PM
I'll be on a silver/black Trek and wearing my shiny new Bike Arlington jersey!

jopamora
09-21-2012, 09:05 PM
If the ride is fun, maybe next year I'll try it on a CaBi. The real challenge would be to daisy chain so no charges are racked up.

chris_s
09-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Unexpected inlaw visit means I get to do the 50 States ride rather than 13 colonies. The 2 year old gets to go to the National Aquarium with grandma. win-win

jawms
09-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Some feedback from a senior first timer.

1) Walter Pierce Park is not id'd on Google Maps or on my 1998 Thomas DC map book. Googling it didn't yield much either. There was no address or range to use to find directions. Nor did I see a sign identifying the park at the Adams Mill Rd. entrance, though there was a reference to the "Walter Pierce Slope something Project" near the Calvert Bridge. Obviouslly this place is well-known to those who live nearby and to those who have participated before, but what about the rest of us?

2) The 13 Colonies ride left out Connecticut. Hard to believe that Nathan Hale, Roger Sherman, Elihu Yale, and Noah Webster can be rendered placeless, but the geographical ignorance of WABA's dominant demographic is well-known. I am copying the entire Connecticut congressional delegation, the governor and the National Geographic Society for suggestions about how to remedy this. Please revise the T-shirts appropriately.

3) What are WABA marshals supposed to do? The ones I saw were haning out together at the park, then took off at the head of the pack and were seen no more. My expectations of what marshals do are based on Vietnam era demonstrations and the Obama inauguration, but this clearly exceeds anything in WABA's manual.

4) I noticed a lot of people who, like me, were alone, knew none of the other participants, were riding unfashionable bikes and had non-spandex clothing without bike-product names written on them. The social director of a fifth-rate cruise ship would have known what to do in this situation. Our events coordinator, pretty and sweet though she is, hadn't a clue.

Notwithstanding all this, I had a good time. The route, though historically inadequate, was well-chosen for comfort and safety, the weather was perfect and -- now that I know where Walter Pierce Park is -- I'll do it again!

TwoWheelsDC
09-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Some feedback from a senior first timer.

1) Walter Pierce Park is not id'd on Google Maps or on my 1998 Thomas DC map book. Googling it didn't yield much either. There was no address or range to use to find directions. Nor did I see a sign identifying the park at the Adams Mill Rd. entrance, though there was a reference to the "Walter Pierce Slope something Project" near the Calvert Bridge. Obviouslly this place is well-known to those who live nearby and to those who have participated before, but what about the rest of us?

3) What are WABA marshals supposed to do? The ones I saw were haning out together at the park, then took off at the head of the pack and were seen no more. My expectations of what marshals do are based on Vietnam era demonstrations and the Obama inauguration, but this clearly exceeds anything in WABA's manual.

In all fairness, I think the address of the park was in the email, but you're right, they could've been more explicit about its location.

Regarding the course marshalls, I rode behind several and they seemed to be providing some guidance on the route and what not, at least on the 50 States portion. One of the older marshals was yelling at folks that were skipping lights and stop signs and such...it was kind of amusing. At one point, as we approached a large group that had "Idaho Stopped" a stop sign some distance before, he yelled "see, you ran that stop sign and what did it git yeh?!?!"

Certifried
09-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Some feedback from a senior first timer. I know how my responses will sound, but believe me that I don't mean them how they sound. I'm replying in a good natured manner (and in a little defense of WABA, who I thought did a great job today)

The maps link in the WABA message got me right there. Might want to ditch the iPhone 5 and get google maps back.

2) The 13 Colonies ride left out Connecticut. Hard to believe that Nathan Hale, Roger Sherman, Elihu Yale, and Noah Webster can be rendered placeless, but the geographical ignorance of WABA's dominant demographic is well-known. I am copying the entire Connecticut congressional delegation, the governor and the National Geographic Society for suggestions about how to remedy this. Please revise the T-shirts appropriately.
You crossed Connecticut near the end, around mile 15, so either you didn't follow the route, or didn't realize that by crossing Connecticut, you actually rode on it.

I saw a LOT of marshals all over the course, and really appreciated their guidance. There were some frustrating times for them as some riders didn't want to obey any laws but the marshals can't do much about it. (thanks volunteers!)

4) I noticed a lot of people who, like me, were alone, knew none of the other participants, were riding unfashionable bikes and had non-spandex clothing without bike-product names written on them. The social director of a fifth-rate cruise ship would have known what to do in this situation. Our events coordinator, pretty and sweet though she is, hadn't a clue. I made plenty of acquaintances out there, you can't blame not being social on them.

Notwithstanding all this, I had a good time. The route, though historically inadequate, was well-chosen for comfort and safety, the weather was perfect and -- now that I know where Walter Pierce Park is -- I'll do it again!
I got a few sprinkles as I was arriving back home :(

jopamora
09-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I got there a little late so I missed riding with the Forum crew. I saw a Bike Arlington jersey, but pretty sure it wasn't Certified, the cyclist didn't have red hair.

Really glad I did the ride. Really happy it was my first group ride. The marshall, Phil, I ended the ride with was great. I never want to race him because um, it wouldn't be worth his time. Had some good convo with a few other riders too. The pit stops were well stocked and much needed. My favorite was the BikeHouse stop, especially the rocking chair I occupied for a few minutes.

Not happy about seeing a marshall fall right in front of me going down Wheeler Rd SE. He had a bad case of road rash and he was up and walking quickly. He ended up walking to catch a Metro train. The neighbors were telling us about how those steel plates have been across Wheeler Rd all Summer. Can WABA do something about it?

Felt bad for the riders I saw later going home on Beach. They missed the turn for Bingham by a mile or so.

I want to find the person who made the route and ask if they break into maniacal laughter every time they think of Garfield and University Terrace.

Certifried
09-22-2012, 06:54 PM
It probably wasn't me. I'm only saying that because there were a few moments I wasn't proud of. I tried to ride responsibly, but there were some times I fell in with the group mentality and showed no regard for the traffic laws of the 50 United States. Sorry.

jopamora
09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
My worst offense was when I was talking to the faster than fast woman in our group. Took a left onto North Dakota without looking. I sure felt silly waving many thanks to the SUV that slowed down to not hit me.

Rod Smith
09-22-2012, 07:09 PM
I rode more responsibly and with greater compliance to the law than I ever have before. I was proud of that until I read the guy following me is racked with guilt over our reckless disregard for lawful conduct. I thought I was being boy scout. I even did a good deed. Not saying I never crossed the double yellow, but until recently I thought that was legal when passing slow moving vehicles. :p

jopamora
09-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Made it on WABA's Facebook page. I am famous!

Rod Smith
09-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Made it on WABA's Facebook page. I am famous!

Cool shot. I recognize many of these riders from today. You must have been very close to us all day.

I didn't take many pictures. The ones I took didn't come out. We weren't really hammering but the focus of the day seemed to be on dropping people, not taking pictures. Haha.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/DSC02220_zpse0ea8f0f.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/DSC02223_zps257e196c.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/DSC02226_zpsc62f2689.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/DSC02230_zps06db769d.jpg

Certifried
09-22-2012, 08:47 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/certifried/archives/date-posted/2012/09/22/

took a few pics too. Even got one of Zaena! (sp?)

eminva
09-22-2012, 08:55 PM
I want to find the person who made the route and ask if they break into maniacal laughter every time they think of Garfield and University Terrace.

Nooooo! It's been a year and I thought I was over my PTSD!!

[I warned you about riding on or near those "A" state streets]

Congrats to everyone and glad you had so much fun. Last year, either there weren't any other forum folk out or I didn't know them yet. I still made lots of friends along the way. So happy some of you were able to link up.

Liz

dcv
09-22-2012, 08:57 PM

It was good to meet you this morning, spotted you all through the day in your bikearlington jersey

Rod Smith
09-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Nice!

Sean "Bega" Blumenfeld, (Team Bega) in one of your pics.

Justin Antos
09-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Nice to meet the famed "dbb" as we cruised down Alabama Ave SE today!

It was a great ride - a grand adventure in our own backyard. many thanks to WABA and everyone for making it a success.

Certifried
09-22-2012, 10:01 PM
It was good to meet you this morning, spotted you all through the day in your bikearlington jersey
good to meet you too! I had wanted to stick with the group, but riding in those large packs and missing the light cycles was driving me crazy lol

dbb
09-23-2012, 04:14 AM
I officially got my butt kicked yesterday. Way too much flat land riding for me! Looks like the Dirt school of route selection (any direction as long as it is uphill) is in my future:)

I thought the marshals were doing a superb, but difficult job in the fact that they were there as coaches not as enforcers.

It would appear that others are visiting our forum, particularly the WMATA MetroBus driver (driving bus with plate B 43116 at about noon) on MLK who, rather than passing felt that it was necessary to hang back and honk the horn. Must have been on the forum and watched the Colorado video.

Here is the photo I grabbed of the bus at the corner of MLK and Melon, SE just as we were turning left.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/50States201209229a_zps129ecaac.jpg

dcv
09-23-2012, 06:43 AM
good to meet you too! I had wanted to stick with the group, but riding in those large packs and missing the light cycles was driving me crazy lol

I spy with my eye certifried...
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/misc/IMG_20120922_091222_zps4f4ba7d6.jpg

Certifried
09-23-2012, 06:49 AM
and a Rod Smith in front of me

chris_s
09-24-2012, 07:20 AM
and a Rod Smith in front of me
and me next to Rod :)

Rootchopper
09-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks for this. I was in front of this jackass for about a block. I stopped to let him get to a bus stop. I passed him amd took the lane to take a left on Malcolm X. He pulled out and coninued to honk his horm.

Tim Kelley
09-24-2012, 08:26 AM

It's spelled "Zanna" and that's an amazing shot. It's been cropped down to just her face and printed out and attached to her monitor. She loves it!

Rootchopper
09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
This was my fifth 50 States Ride. I thought WABA and the volunteers did a fantastic job. I thought the start was going to be a disaster, filing all those bikes down a narrow path but it worked out fine.

For the first 10 miles or so I fell in with a very chatty and funny woman who was doing a great job keeping us on our toes through downtown. It turns out she was a course marshall named (if I recfall correctly) Dolores.

I watched one rider in a black t-shirt cruise through red lights and stop signs without looking. He was oblivious. I can't believe he didn't get in an accident.

Once we cleared the Capitol Hill, Idaho stops were the rule. The city has way too many dumb traffic lights with long cycles. 40 seconds is a long time when there are no cars in sight. Worse yet, were the steep speed humps and rumble strips that have been installed all over town. Texas Street had several. This street doesn't go anywhere! Why would they need a speed bump every 100 yards!

My one suggestion is to move the after party back to Grill from Ipanema. Mellow Mushroom seemed overwhelmed by the crowd.

Brendan von Buckingham
09-24-2012, 08:39 AM
That was fun. Let's do it again next week. Just some random thoughts and observations.

Cyclists were above average in terms of protocol compared to some other open rides I've been on. Sidewalk jumpers were still there. Cyclists in the back using the sidewalk to cut to the front are my biggest pet peeve in the first few miles.

50 and 13 got intermingled around NJ, LA and DE. Right after that on D St NE I interacted with three different groups. Not one followed the cue sheet correctly, including me.

My group completely fumbled WA. Turned hard right onto South Cap instead of continuing straight on Canal.

Of all the neighborhoods, the neighbors in SE are always my favorite.

Lost another group who turned right on MN instead of jughandling a right to really go left.

Was there really a Nazi rally and counter-protesters near Eastern Market?

It's good to have friends on IL.

University Terrace after AZ is hard enough, but teenagers laughing at you as they fly downhill and you stomp and wheez uphill is not cool. Little turds.

Close second was Cathedral Ave before ID. It's cruel you have to skip the first chance to get on ID.

Best moment? The marshal who thought I was 20 and didn't believe I was 40. Thanks kid.

jopamora
09-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Was there really a Nazi rally and counter-protesters near Eastern Market?

I was wondering what was going on. I felt like hanging around longer, but then saw the police in riot armor.

OutsideTheLaw
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Loved the ride, and loved seeing some new places -- I'd definitely never been on Texas and North Dakota before. Only thing I'd improve is to stagger the beginning, the first section (pretty all the way to Capitol Hill) was too crowded, too many lights (that we actually stopped for!), etc. We were 2 hrs 15 mins for the first 15 miles; a lot more fun when it spread out after hitting Ohio. Good peeps, too!

ShawnoftheDread
09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Best moment? The marshal who thought I was 20 and didn't believe I was 40. Thanks kid.

My wife's been asked twice in the past week which high school she goes to, which means I have a pretty high risk of being arrested, or at least detained.

TwoWheelsDC
09-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Thinking back, my only disappointment, and it was minor, was the lack of food at the rest stops. I managed to get one of those Wild(?) bars at the Bike House, but every other stop was cleaned out when I rode through. Given that the ride is in the city, it's not like there aren't places to stop, but I guess I expected the registration fee to at least get me a banana or something...instead I had to steal half of DBB's (thanks again for that, btw!).

consularrider
09-24-2012, 10:07 AM
...3) What are WABA marshals supposed to do? The ones I saw were haning out together at the park, then took off at the head of the pack and were seen no more. My expectations of what marshals do are based on Vietnam era demonstrations and the Obama inauguration, but this clearly exceeds anything in WABA's manual ...
Actually, that's a good question. This was my first time as a marshal for this event, although I have been a marshal for other WABA events. For most events the marshals are to report on any problems they observe, try to assist riders with problems, but are not traffic cops. I have certainly assisted with fixing innumerable flat tires in my various stints, but luckily did not have to on Saturday. I saw our basic function as monitors and ambassadors leading by example (yeah, right ;)). We were together at the start of the ride for a preride briefing and were told to spread out over the course of the ride. I know WABA would have liked to have had at least twice as many marshals, and there may have been only two or three on the 13 Colonies route. I lined up for the start about 50 yards behind the starting banner. For the most part, I did not see another marshal until I hit the Takoma rest stop. I rode with various groups in the 65 miles, and this year it seemed like I spent the most time helping with course directions.

I think this year's ride was a little more challenging than some of the previous rides. We got all that DC could throw at us, construction cranes blocking streets, poor street conditions, new pavement, a rally, hills, but you can't complain about the weather! I was wearing my Bike Arlington jersey, but it got covered by my marshal's vest. I know I saw Zanna and dbb at the start of the ride and bluerider at the Mellow Mushroom.

chris_s
09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
It was great seeing so many forum folks (though I wish I hadn't ended up in so many photos - time to limit my pizza and beer intake again!). It was my first 50 States Ride and almost triple the number of miles I've ever attempted to ride in one day. Sadly I didn't quite make it to the end, my legs were cramping in a most unpleasant way and the AU pitstop was due to be closed before I manage to make it there so I bailed at the Tenleytown Metro (46 states isn't bad!).

I learned a lot for next year (bring more than one water bottle, bring your own food, wear sunscreen, don't be afraid to stop inbetween rest stops) and had a blast - rode parts of DC I've never even been to, let alone biked through. The marshals I saw did a bang up job helping people stay on top of the cue sheet, helping people through some of the backed-up areas with short light cycles and assisting with mechanical issues along the way.

Certifried
09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't recall seeing anything about T-shirts, sort of mad at myself for not going to the after party and getting one :( I was, in my defense, completely wiped out. Awesome and challenging ride that I had not expected to finish.

edit: damn, my fault I didn't read

There are FREE t-shirts for all 50 States and 13 Colonies Riders.

Brendan von Buckingham
09-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't recall seeing anything about T-shirts, sort of mad at myself for not going to the after party and getting one :( I was, in my defense, completely wiped out. Awesome and challenging ride that I had not expected to finish.

You see I was the opposite. It was all about the t-shirt for me. I've worn it 41 hours straight and counting.

dbb
09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
It would appear that others are visiting our forum, particularly the WMATA MetroBus driver (driving bus with plate B 43116 at about noon) on MLK who, rather than passing felt that it was necessary to hang back and honk the horn. Must have been on the forum and watched the Colorado video.

Here is the photo I grabbed of the bus at the corner of MLK and Melon, SE just as we were turning left.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/50States201209229a_zps129ecaac.jpg

I shot WMATA a note and got this back this morning:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us about the problems that you observed with the operator of A4 bus, #6124, on Saturday, September 22nd, around 12:00pm. We are very sorry that you encountered some difficulties, especially since providing outstanding customer service is so important to Metro.

The information that you have provided will help us to identify the operator so that we can take proper action. The operator will be interviewed and reinstructed in his duties. Safe and courteous service is the responsibility of every Metro employee and conduct that deviates from that will not be tolerated.

We apologize for the unprofessional behavior of this individual and hope that future Metro experiences will be more positive."

I think that was a quick and positive response from WMATA. Kudos to them!

dasgeh
09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the auto-response you get when you fill out the online form. I've gotten a callback about a complaint once, but unfortunately it was because a complaint a regular-old-Metrobus got directed to MetroAccess, and they were confused.

aflapr
09-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Any forum members that want to ride together can meet up there and prepare for battle.

Thanks to Bluerider for organizing the informal meet and greet. It was nice to put a couple of faces with the profile name.

I rode in and back from Falls Church and did the 13 Colonies ride. I started at the rear of that group and thought the marshals did a good job of sweeping up folks. The intermingling of the 50 states/13 colonies coupled with some road closures due to maintenance and the protests/counter protests did cause some headaches - but nothing unavoidable. I did skip the Eastern Market rest stop so I did have the rest of the shorter ride to myself. That made navigating the city easier, but riding solo for the last 8 mi was not bad - I don't think I would have wanted to do that for the entire 50 states ride.

Certifried
09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks to Bluerider for organizing the informal meet and greet. It was nice to put a couple of faces with the profile name.

Yes! Agreed, and my apologies to Bluerider for neglecting to thank him! It was nice to meet you and your brother? Sorry, I'm bad with not only names, but just introductions in general :(

The one thing I forgot to add about the ride, although it's my fault for not going to the after party.. riding in the park after the 50 states ride and seeing no one there, and no evidence that I'd even arrived at the final destination, kinda sucked. I didn't think I'd finished super late, and know there were quite a few people behind me. Not having any sort of welcoming party, or person or inanimate sign was crushing. I went home in tears, not sure I actually finished the ride. I hope the greeting party at the Mellow Mushroom was awesome.

Rod Smith
09-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I guess it's partly my fault you didn't know where the ride really ended. You using the GPS and me following the cue sheet worked great as far as following the route. Your GPS and my cue sheet guided us to the official finish, but page eight of the cue sheet told of the T-shirts and where they were. I never turned the last page until maybe the next day. Sorry!

Certifried
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I guess it's partly my fault you didn't know where the ride really ended. You using the GPS and me following the cue sheet worked great as far as following the route. Your GPS and my cue sheet guided us to the official finish, but page eight of the cue sheet told of the T-shirts and where they were. I never turned the last page until maybe the next day. Sorry!
it's cool, I was really feeling pretty sick at that point LOL not sure I could've done much more than get to the Metro and get home. A few hours in the cool A/C and I was feeling great. Of course, Sunday morning my son and I went out for breakfast and I think I got sick off that :( I still feel great about finishing the ride!

eminva
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM

I'm sure if you call the WABA office someone there will be happy to set aside a shirt for you!

Liz

Certifried
09-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I was doing some searching around for articles about the 50 states ride and came across a number of pictures and articles. Some interesting stuff!

Zanna again
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/8014391711_d3e6ced57b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28978054@N00/8014391711/)
IMG_9442 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28978054@N00/8014391711/) by patti_heck (http://www.flickr.com/people/28978054@N00/), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8193389@N06/sets/72157631598981832/with/8013737566/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gersema/sets/72157631599564333/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28978054@N00/page10/
http://bicyclebug.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/50-states/
http://ramblingrider.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/urban-explorations-the-50-states-ride-minus-9/
http://portajohn.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/waba-50-states-ride/ (http://ramblingrider.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/urban-explorations-the-50-states-ride-minus-9/)

Brendan von Buckingham
09-26-2012, 03:01 PM
I was camera banged on Alaska Ave too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28978054@N00/8014450240/in/photostream

bluerider
09-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I was captured as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28978054@N00/8014502030/in/photostream