PDA

View Full Version : Another great idea to help with visibility

Dirt
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Greetings inhabitants of planet earth.

I'm working on a bunch of projects right now, and one of them is wheels for my commuter/touring bike. While I love the wood rims, I kinda need something a bit more functional since this is the way I move through the city. Please let me introduce to you.... Velocity Reflective Rims. By day they look like normal, black bicycle rims (available with both machined (for those who use rim brakes), and non-machined sidewalls (for those who use disc brakes)).

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=747

They make them for a few different models of rims. Fusion's are my favorites, but the Deep V's may get the nod for this build since they're a little more durable and I'm not caring about weight.

If you've never seen a set of these in action, they're pretty amazing. They make your wheels light up, bigtime. Velocity sells them as rims or as complete wheels in a few different configurations. I'll be purchasing rims, since this is going on one of my psycho freak bikes. Most local bike shops should be able to order them. Velocity now has a system by-which you can order through them and be sourced to a shop that sends you the product. Still helps a local bike shop.... just probably not YOUR local bike shop.

Be seen.

Dirt.

jrenaut
08-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Those are pretty cool. I'll check with them next time I'm in the market for rims.

FFX_Hinterlands
08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Ha! I put reflexite silver reflective tape on the insides of my rims over a year ago. It seems to help visibility from the side and the front. It's better than the rim idea because the tape strips rotate with the wheel instead of looking like a solid ring. I'm also a big fan of the Nite Ize Spokelit light for your spokes. I got my kids a set of the "disco" ones that change colors. They love 'em.

Dirt
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Ha! I put reflexite silver reflective tape on the insides of my rims over a year ago. It's better than the rim idea because the tape strips rotate with the wheel instead of looking like a solid ring.
Strategically placed "Hello Kitty" stickers on the Reflective Rims achieves the same effect at 5 times the cost. ;)

3M Reflective tape is also awesome for this stuff. I like the 3M stuff 'cause it is black by day and reflective when you shoot a light at it. :D

Great suggestion!