PDA

View Full Version : WABA 50 States Ride - keep the Gatorskins on?

DaveK
09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I've not done this ride before but I'm waffling on whether to keep my commuter wheels/tires on my road bike or switch over to the lighter, faster wheels. Main reason would be that the commuter set will keep me more protected against flats, but there's also a lot of climbing and dropping a pound off my wheels would be nice.

Dirt
09-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Keep the gatorskins on. There's a lot of glass and stuff out there. The heavier wheels build character. ;) I won't make it this year. Enjoy! I've got a thing Saturday night that will prevent me from waking up at a reasonable hour on Sunday.

Mark Blacknell
09-24-2010, 09:38 AM
HTFU, Dirt! It's Saturday!

~

Dave - definitely Gatorskins. There's some crap road on that route. It's great fun, though - I'm sure you'll see parts of DC you'd never have otherwise seen. I did it a few years ago and loved it. (And if you want to talk about doing it with a heavy bike - I did it with a full suspension MTB on 2.2 knobbies (was getting bike-specific miles in, in advance of the SM100).)

Dirt
09-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Cool. Even more reason why I won't be riding it this year. I can't let a good bike ride get in the way of my pre Oktoberfest warm-up. ;)