PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Valley Bike Festival 2012

bobco85
07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.ourcommunityplace.org/events/bike-fest/index.html

I apologize for not posting this sooner, but coming up this weekend is the annual Shenandoah Valley Bike Festival in Harrisonburg, VA. It's about a 2 hour drive from DC, and the rides (25, 50, and 100 mile) feature many challenging hills. The organizers do a good job of marking out the route along with stationing people to point out dangerous areas (like blind curves that have some debris on the road), and there are multiple rest stops (water, food, etc.) for each route. The cost is $40 and includes a t-shirt and really good food afterwards.

I'll be doing the 50 mile route, and if you look at the map's elevation graph, miles 33-41 will be (and always are) brutal.

I will make sure to post about next year's festival a little earlier than a few days before. It truly is a beautiful area, and I hope you all get to go this year (or even just download the map and do the ride on your own)!

JimF22003
07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
This is a good event. Not huge compared to some, but it's a good route, and there's great support. I like that they really get the beneficiaries of the non-profit involved in registering, creating the meals etc. The after-ride eats are fantastic. I sort of don't like "mass start" rides, but there really aren't so many riders that it's a big issue getting out of town.

I've done three of these, and am currently planning to attend. I'll be wearing my "50+" jersey from bikeforums.net in case anyone wants to say hi.

consularrider
07-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I keep meaning to ride this event, but it always seems to fall on a day where I have other commitments. Oh well, there's always next year.