PDA

View Full Version : First Annual Yay For Bike Riders Day

mamaonabike
09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
All -

My 2nd grader has hatched a plan to say thank you to all the nice bike riders she sees every morning on her walk to school. She's calling it Yay For Bike Riders Day and we've scheduled it for Friday, October 8 (no school that day) from 7am - 9am. She wants to set up a table just off the trail at the intersection of the W&OD and Custis and give all the bike commuters homemade muffins, orange juice, apple slices and coffee (she insisted, I won't argue). She's got it all figured out (even mentioned she needs me to get her some doctor's gloves so we don't share our germs) and I'm just super proud of her so I'll be helping out a bit.

I wanted to let everyone know for three reasons:
1. I'd love for you to stop by and make her happy! Plan to leave a wee bit early that morning to stop briefly for a little eats and drinks.
2. If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know.
3. Rest assured that we won't be selling or promoting anything but happiness-by-bike and we will be sure to stay off the trail (we know the rules).

Peace, love and bicycles,
Angela

Mark Blacknell
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Woo hoo! Will be there for sure.

Dirt
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh gosh that is amazing. I need to change around my schedule so I can partake. Not sure if I'm able to ride a bicycle during daylight hours. ;)

Arlingtonrider
09-16-2010, 06:50 AM
I don't commute on that route, but your daughter is a sweetheart! Just knowing that she is doing that makes me happy. What a great kid - you must be so proud of her! Yay for kids who believe in biking!

consularrider
09-17-2010, 11:43 AM
That's on my route and starts about the time I leave home. What a nice thing your daughter is thinking of doing!

mamaonabike
10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi all,

Due to parent/teacher conferences on Friday morning my daughter has been graciously flexible in allowing me to reschedule our Yay For Bike Riders Day for this Thursday, October 7, 7am - 9am.

We'll be at the little covered picnic table at the intersection of the Custis and W&OD trails serving juice, muffins, breakfast bars and coffee if I can figure out a place to borrow a presspot from. The purpose is to simply thank all the cyclists who ride the trails each day that we pass on our way to school. If you have a free moment please stop and have some refreshments, or at least say hello - it will make my daughter's day.

See you Thursday morning!

PS - tomorrow is International Walk and Bike to School Day so if you have kids, please participate!

Cheers,
Angela

Dirt
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I will have been in the barn for 90 minutes by the time y'all are out there, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating y'all appreciating us. Sincere thanks. :D

skreaminquadz
10-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Wow - this is fantastic and right on my route. I will be there - thank you!!

Dirt
10-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Hey Angela.

Like I said above, I wasn't able to roll through during the hours y'all were out there. Mark showed me a photo of one of the signs y'all made. It absolutely made my week. I seriously needed it. Thanks for putting a smile on my face and renewing my faith in people around here.

I really wanted you to know how much it meant to me.

Best wishes,

Pete

Tim Kelley
10-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Some photos and a short write up here:

http://www.commuterpageblog.com/2010/10/yay-for-bike-riders-day.html