PDA

View Full Version : Pinging seat post - due to heat?

KLizotte
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I have a brand new Canondale Synapse 105 with a Cannondale C3, 27.2x300mm, carbon wrap seat post. Practically since the day one I've been getting a lot of sporadic pinging/creaking coming from the seat post (not sure if it is the post bit or the part that holds the saddle). I've tried four different saddles from four different manufacturers so I know it isn't the saddle.

I've moved the saddle this way and that, have it screwed on so tight you need to be superhuman to get it off and I still get the pinging. It's a metallic sound.

This morning into work it was quiet, when I left for home it was making such a racket that I was determined to demand a new seat post from the LBS as soon as they opened the next day. Strangely enough however, all the noise stopped after about 30 minutes and no matter how much I shimmied and bounced on the saddle I was unable to get it to make a peep.

So now I'm thinking it has something to do with the heat even though the bike was stored outside all day in the shade.

Has anyone found their bike making weird noises because of the heat? I'm thinking metal expansion might be causing the problem. I have heard my helmet expanding in the heat when it came out of air conditioning.

Perhaps I should just ask for a new seatpost. The noise is driving me batty.

elcee
07-17-2012, 09:28 AM
It's often very hard to isolate the problem. Easiest way to find out is to swap the seat post; if the noise disappears, then you've found your problem.

Buy a used alloy seat post from Phoenix Bikes. It'll only cost a couple of bucks. Make sure you get the right size, though.

(Just a guess on the sound: since it's a carbon wrap post, maybe the carbon weave and alloy are expanding at different rates?)