PDA

View Full Version : Lips! (no, not the opening to The Rocky Horror Picture Show)

SilverSpring
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Cycling at the shore on my lips was quite rough
Now when I bike, I can't wet them enough
What advice do you have
(Perhaps a balm or a salve)
So on my smoochers the Summer won't be tough?

My Bride suspects I sunburned (or windburned) my lips doing a lot of bicycling between Rehoboth and Bethany (quite fun, by the way, especially with a stop for doughnuts). I dunno what it is, but I've never had such lippy unhappiness before, and it's only somewhat abated with Chapstick/Burt's Bee stuff and the like. What do you recommend?

ShawnoftheDread
06-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Emu oil.

KelOnWheels
06-28-2012, 08:03 PM
You shouldn't cycle with your lips,
Try using your hands, feet, and hips!
What do I recommend?
Everything Balm (http://everythingbalm.com/) is my friend!
You'll find other salves it outstrips.

bikenurse
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Combat Ready Balm from Skincando.

consularrider
06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
I use Elizabeth Burnham's Lip Session a couple times during the day when not riding, and then one of the balms with 20 to 30 spf (soflips, the freebie New Belgium tube, Banana Boat aloe vera, etc) while actually riding and reapply regulary on a long ride. I've got quite a collection since I frequently seem to forget to put something in my jersey pocket. So far no sunburned lips and no chapped winter lips for several years. Tomorrow will be a real test.

Amalitza
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Also, be sure you stay well hydrated. My chapped lips happen in the winter, not summer, but drinking lots of water and keeping the house humidified (not really a problem this time of year) is the best solution for me.

vvill
06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm using REI branded lip balm I got free from Bike to Work Day. Seems to work fine.

/swagwh0re