PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Shorts

jordash
06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't wear spandex and probably never will. For this heat I found the Chrome Union shorts (http://www.chromebagsstore.com/apparel/mens-apparel/union-short.html) ideal, but unfortunately Chrome has stopped making them and doesn't know when they'll have more. (If someone knows where to find these, I'd love to know). On really hot days I've survived wearing merino wool and athletic shorts, but I'm looking for something more cycling specialized.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a moisture-wicking, anti-microbial, biker-friendly short that I can't see my reflection in?

PotomacCyclist
06-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Those Chrome shorts make you look like a no-brakes, fixie-ridin', Pabst-drinkin' urban hipster.

There are plenty of cycling shorts that aren't reflective. I prefer triathlon shorts because the chamois pad is a lot thinner. I can't stand the diaper feeling of regular bike shorts. There are a lot of options and colors, including plain black. When I saw the words "athletic shorts" in the same paragraph as cycling, I immediately thought of chafing. Non-bike shorts don't always go so well with bikes. (I know this from experience.)

txgoonie
06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
This is coming from a woman who has very little exposure to the world of men's cycling clothing, so take this a grain of salt. This is just stuff I've seen before that, if I were a dude, I think I would consider.

http://www.rapha.cc/touring-shorts

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/men-shorts/Commute-Short?cc=7354&skuId=3452959&catId=men-shorts

DismalScientist
06-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I get my khakis from Walmart and Target.:rolleyes:

chris_s
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm partial to Pearl Izumi Canyon Shorts (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=dodgersden-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B004ELBYE2). They're not super-tight, but they also aren't so baggy as to get in your way. They consist of a liner with chamois and an over-short with a single zippered pocket. For long rides I wear the whole kit, for shorter rides I'll often wear the liner under standard khakis.

Bilsko
06-20-2012, 08:56 AM
My money goes to the shorts that SWRVE makes: http://swrve.myshopify.com/collections/knickers-shorts/
Actually, I haven't bought their shorts, but I do have 3 pairs of their knickers and a pair of jeans. Its on the higher end of the price spectrum (somewhere between Chrome and Rapha) but really high-quality work (BONUS: all the Blk Lbl gear is made in the USA) and a good shop behind it.

jordash
06-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone, these are some great recommendations.

Rootchopper
06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I am with Dismal Scientist on this one. Just buy regular shorts then wear underwear made out of a wicking fabric.

KelOnWheels
06-20-2012, 10:39 AM
I am with Dismal Scientist on this one. Just buy regular shorts then wear underwear made out of a wicking fabric.

Y'all must not sweat much ;) I wished I was wearing technical clothing on the Metro this morning :p

TwoWheelsDC
06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I have some Endura Humvee shorts...they may be baggier than what you're looking for, but Endura makes awesome stuff that is reasonably priced and easy to find in area bike shops. Plenty of pockets and vents, and a removable mesh liner with a chamois if you feel inclined to use it (I do). I admit that lycra is my primary cycling wardrobe, but if I have to do anything other than ride from point A to point B, I wear baggies. But lycra works pretty freaking well, especially in the heat, so don't knock it 'til you try it :D

DismalScientist
06-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Y'all must not sweat much ;) I wished I was wearing technical clothing on the Metro this morning :p

This is just a cost my colleagues must bear.:rolleyes:

Actually, I ride almost exclusively for commuting and it is downhill in the morning. Sweating isn't much of an issue for my lower body and I don't want to deal with the hassle of changing in the office.

An added benefit is that I look like a middle aged schlub and can try to humiliate posers with their full kits and plastic bikes on the return trip up the hill.:rolleyes:

(This is not to say that everyone with a full kit and plastic bike is a poser! I am not calling out the entire biking community.)

GuyContinental
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM

I used to be part of the synthetic underwear school until I got caught out in the rain a few years ago, the chaffing was so bad that after 90 minutes I was literally bleeding everywhere the seams contacted my tender bits. The physical scarring will fade, the emotional... notsomuch. I will never, ever wear anything under my bike shorts again.

Tim Kelley
06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I will never, ever wear anything under my bike shorts again.

I was recently horrified to hear that someone I knew was riding with underwear on under their bike shorts. This is a serious no-no for the very reason mentioned above.

Okay, so fess up everyone--is anyone else riding like this? If so, then stop it!!

TwoWheelsDC
06-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I was recently horrified to hear that someone I knew was riding with underwear on under their bike shorts. This is a serious no-no for the very reason mentioned above.

Okay, so fess up everyone--is anyone else riding like this? If so, then stop it!!

I will admit that when I first made the jump to bike shorts, I did this a couple times out of ignorance...then I stumbled across a forum topic about it and and had quite the "oooooooooh I see" moment.

Tim Kelley
06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
I will admit that when I first made the jump to bike shorts, I did this a couple times out of ignorance...then I stumbled across a forum topic about it and and had quite the "oooooooooh I see" moment.

See--doesn't it feel good to admit that?

Now, who else?

KelOnWheels
06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
This is just a cost my colleagues must bear.:rolleyes:

Actually, I ride almost exclusively for commuting and it is downhill in the morning. Sweating isn't much of an issue for my lower body and I don't want to deal with the hassle of changing in the office.

An added benefit is that I look like a middle aged schlub and can try to humiliate posers with their full kits and plastic bikes on the return trip up the hill.:rolleyes:

(This is not to say that everyone with a full kit and plastic bike is a poser! I am not calling out the entire biking community.)

Hey, I already feel like a poser wearing bike shorts and clipless shoes to cruise along at a mighty 8mph on my "vintage" MTB for my wee 10-mile commute. :D OTOH, I'd have to change clothes when I got to work anyway so I might as well wear non-work clothes on the way.

That reminds me, I think I want to get a summer helmet. My Nutcase is funny and makes me laugh, but it's a bit toasty. (And THAT reminds me, the LBS guy informed me that my brand-spankin-new Nutcase was "ancient" and I needed to buy a new helmet. Um, no.)

dbb
06-20-2012, 12:02 PM

What is this Metro thing you reference? I recall some form of public transport before I began cycling but that is in the fuzzy, distant past. :)

jopamora
06-20-2012, 12:06 PM
I like the shorts from Race Face (http://raceface.com/apparel/for-him/shorts-and-pants/canuck-short/), Fox (http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Shorts/detail/Fox-Giant-Ranger-Short-/23733/cat70013?categoryNavIds=cat20008%3Acat20134%3Acat7 0013), and Zoic (http://www.zoic.com/black-market-short)

KelOnWheels
06-20-2012, 12:12 PM
What is this Metro thing you reference? I recall some form of public transport before I began cycling but that is in the fuzzy, distant past. :)

It's that thing I have to take until I build up to riding 5 days a week. It's loud and smells bad and people stand too close to you and everything's sticky. :p

vvill
06-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll either wear lined MTB shorts (I also like Fox ones too and I like what I've seen of Zoic ones but never owned a pair), or some other clothing over bike shorts, if I don't want to be seen wearing bike shorts. I don't like riding without the padding of bike shorts.

I have a couple pairs of these (because they're so cheap). They're not fully technical but not cotton either. And I have some Old Navy gym shorts as another option as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Matix-Shapiro-22in-Short-Mens/dp/B0062Y6WSM

I only graduated to proper bike shorts last year. Before then I always just wore lined MTB shorts, and yes, without underwear.

ShawnoftheDread
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I like the shorts from Race Face (http://raceface.com/apparel/for-him/shorts-and-pants/canuck-short/), Fox (http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Shorts/detail/Fox-Giant-Ranger-Short-/23733/cat70013?categoryNavIds=cat20008%3Acat20134%3Acat7 0013), and Zoic (http://www.zoic.com/black-market-short)

Can no one make bike shorts for less than $40? Everyone mentions saving money by biking, but everything I see suggests many people spend more on gear than they previously spent on gas (yes, I'm exaggerating a bit).

GuyContinental
06-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Can no one make bike shorts for less than $40? Everyone mentions saving money by biking, but everything I see suggests many people spend more on gear than they previously spent on gas (yes, I'm exaggerating a bit).

Oh they can make em for less, but sell them? Noooo

Seriously though, lots of people on this board ride more than 500 hours a year-$100 for proper 10 panel shorts is a small price to pay for superior comfort. (You could be paying $250+ for Assos gear). FWIW the difference between a $40 short and a $200 short comes down to construction, material and design- double seams, better chamois, more anatomically correct panel placement, more resilient fabrics. Is there marketing hype too? Sure but there is a difference between adequate and truly nice as well.

Things I don't skimp on-
Bike shorts
Seat
Gloves
Helmet
Shoes

I may be riding a beater bike but any part of it that touches my body will have good gear attached.

acc
06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Now, who else?

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/147144/anguish-7741111.jpg

I clearly remember holding up my first pair of bike shorts and innocently asking, "Uh, what exactly do you wear under these?" I think this was right after I asked if my road bike came with a kickstand.

All I will say is when you start combining chest straps with bib shorts, something else has to go too. Otherwise it just gets too complicated.

consularrider
06-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I had to ride to an alumni event last week in the District, meaning I had to be in "business casual." Luckily, we had decent weather (I blow these things off if it's raining) and I could easily ride in a polo and khakis. However, five miles there and then eight miles home reminded me why I wear bib shorts unless I absolutely have to wear something else. I do have one pair of baggies with a padded liner, but I've only worn those a couple of times this year. I prefer to wear a pair of cargo shorts over my bib shorts when I'm trying to de-emphasize my transportation choice (or sometimes when riding in foreign climes). I find it's amazing what I can catch the leg opening on. ;)

And Tim, have you ever felt the desire to provide counseling for perfect strangers after you've been riding behind them and can't help but watch the underwear line on their cycling shorts? Oh wait, you're not behind anyone for that long, right?

txgoonie
06-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I see girls wearing thongs under their shorts quite routinely. Let's forget that there's no possible way to hide panty lines under lycra, so why bother? I can conceive of nothing more uncomfortable to wear while riding than thong underwear. Cuckoo!

Bike shorts with underwear is a much lesser infraction to me however, at least aesthetically, than wearing threadbare bike shorts. Don't be that guy -- do a butt check on items you've worn for more than a couple of years.

DSalovesh
06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
A discount but still nice option that I like is the Pearl Izumi liner shorts. They sell them to go with all their baggy MTB over-shorts but they work fine without as well. They're not especially good as your ONLY shorts tho - too meshy except when you're around a lot of bikers that don't care - so I wear "normal" shorts over them most of the time.

List price is just $30, often on sale for closer to $20 - the pad design is among the best, IMHO.

Tim Kelley
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
And Tim, have you ever felt the desire to provide counseling for perfect strangers after you've been riding behind them and can't help but watch the underwear line on their cycling shorts? Oh wait, you're not behind anyone for that long, right?

After finishing up a couple extra laps on a group ride awhile back I noticed an obvious underwear line on a female rider as we passed. I made one of the women we were riding with handle that delicate conversation while I skipped ahead out of embarassing earshot. Apparently the rider was very happy to get guidance!

brendan
06-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Bike shorts with underwear is a much lesser infraction to me however, at least aesthetically, than wearing threadbare bike shorts. Don't be that guy -- do a butt check on items you've worn for more than a couple of years.

Hear hear! And don't assume those black lycra liner shorts you decided to wear without anything else are completely opaque either. They often are somewhat translucent due to the pinhole venting. Dude! You understand I'll never be able to unsee that, right?

For my regular around town riding, I usually wear mountain biking shorts (inner liner w/ chamois connected to outer baggy shorts) *plus* one of several pairs of microweight smartwool boxer briefs. Mostly so that if I decide to go on a long ride the next day, I can use yesterday's shorts without setting off my own personal ick factor alarm. I suppose I could technically wear the merino wool underwear on the long ride, but since I'll definitely need to wash the shorts, why bother?

Plus, my goodness, merino underwear is comfortable.

Brendan

ShawnoftheDread
06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
A discount but still nice option that I like is the Pearl Izumi liner shorts. They sell them to go with all their baggy MTB over-shorts but they work fine without as well. They're not especially good as your ONLY shorts tho - too meshy except when you're around a lot of bikers that don't care - so I wear "normal" shorts over them most of the time.

List price is just $30, often on sale for closer to $20 - the pad design is among the best, IMHO.

Thanks for the tip. I'm on the cusp between med and large for those - do you know if they run small or large?

KLizotte
06-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Now, who else?

I was clued in ahead of time about the commando bit so have never committed that mistake but I do admit that it sure feels funny getting undressed in the gym at work in the morning amongst all the non-cyclists. It's bad enough not wearing any underwear but the chamois really takes the cake in embarassment. I'm sure a few of the regulars think I have a bladder issue. I'm pretty sure some of the folks in my apartment building think the same thing when they see me doing laundry in the communal laundry room.

Fortunately when you reach a certain age you stop caring what strangers think...most of the time....

KLizotte
06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
After finishing up a couple extra laps on a group ride awhile back I noticed an obvious underwear line on a female rider as we passed. I made one of the women we were riding with handle that delicate conversation while I skipped ahead out of embarassing earshot. Apparently the rider was very happy to get guidance!

Glad this incident went well but as a female I can inform you all that not all cycling shorts are designed to be ridden commando. Shorts from places like Lululemon are called "cycling shorts" but are also designed with yoga and running in mind and do not have chamois or flat seams so you have to wear another layer underneath. They are useful if you have short rides and have to walk amongst civilians - not quite so odd looking as regular chamois shorts.

off2ride
06-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Endura Humvee is what I use for my commute. Pockets are abundant. Breathes. Plus I can walk in a coffee shop looking like I'm wearing street clothes.

DSalovesh
06-20-2012, 10:49 PM
With PI, any time I've been between sizes I've gone with the larger and had no regrets.

mstone
06-21-2012, 06:38 AM
the quick quick summary is to search for "mountain bike shorts". they generally look like shorts, and not superhero costumes. :)

Jason
06-26-2012, 01:13 PM
I have been wearing Nike Drilite running shorts (longish) and Ex Officio technical underwear (kind of like spandex almost) and have been fine in that since March. This week I am wearing north face nylon shorts and the same underwear, also fine.

FFX_Hinterlands
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I guess I'll chime in here... my commute is only 14 miles round-trip, but I don't wear padded bike shorts at all. Wicking underwear and a pair of nylon baggies (Rivendell Musa shorts or columbia or REI brand). No pads. I have a pair of Andiamo thinly padded underwear that I use for recreational rides that are more than 20 miles. With rain I have a rain cape that keeps me dry above my shins to avoid any of that nonsense. A bonus is that sometimes I just wear the shorts and put on a polo and I'm ready to work.

Dirt
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I wear what makes me happy. This time of year my commute/ride mileage during the week is between 30 and 70 miles each day. If it is super hot, I wear lycra bib shorts and a jersey. If it isn't too hot and the mileage isn't so long, or I'm going somewhere after work, I'll put on a set of Zoic or Endura knickers over the top. I like the pockets and I'm less likely to embarrass my wife by wearing a cycling kit to dinner. I've pretty much always got real roadie bib shorts underneath though.

My new discovery is Club Ride apparel. http://clubrideapparel.com/ They make cycling clothes that don't look like cycling clothes. They're pretty durable too. I've got a few and I'll be getting more. I haven't tried their knickers yet, but I will.

Dirt.

KelOnWheels
06-26-2012, 08:27 PM
my new discovery is club ride apparel. http://clubrideapparel.com/ they make cycling clothes that don't look like cycling clothes. They're pretty durable too. I've got a few and i'll be getting more. I haven't tried their knickers yet, but i will.

Dirt.

la la la i totally didn't just click on that link la la la! Not looking! ;)

eminva
06-27-2012, 05:40 AM
la la la i totally didn't just click on that link la la la! Not looking! ;)

Ha! My reaction, too. I was impressed that they actually have women's shorts, which is a rare animal in the cycling world. I just ordered the Terry Metro short (http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel/Cycling-Bottoms/Metro-Short), but the first size was too big and I'm waiting for the replacement.

Liz

Dirt
06-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Sorry about posting that. I just love my Howdy Doody cycling jersey so much that I wanted to share the love.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7043274409_9a3851c145_b.jpg

Oops... I probably just made things worse. ;)