PDA

View Full Version : Another sque-sque-squeak!

ronwalf
06-14-2012, 09:47 PM
To continue the topic of squeaks, I have a squeaky drive chain.

Even with a freshly cleaned and oiled chain, it starts making noise after a couple miles of riding. Trimming the shifter sometimes helps, sometimes not. Some gears seem worse than others. The chain has ~1400 miles, but is still under the 0.75 mark with the chain checker. The cassette and derailleur have about 3k miles or so. Is the noise:

Internal to the chain?
Chain rubbing against the (possibly worn) cassette?
Pulleys in the derailleur?
Something else?

I'm annoyed that I can't localize it while off the bike. I might have to find a trainer to borrow and ride on that until it squeaks.

ronwalf
09-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I guess I should post the answer to this:
It was the upper derailleur pulley. A little oil directly in the axle and it's been silent for the last couple hundred miles.

off2ride
09-03-2012, 06:06 PM
If the chain tool drops drops in @ .75, replace the chain. 1400 miles is a lot esp if the chain has been ridden dry. If a chain is worn, your other parts will be worn as well. If there's a gap between the chain and chain ring teeth, that's worn. If some teeth on the sprocket looks more jagged than the others, that's worn. Same on the derr pulleys.

To continue the topic of squeaks, I have a squeaky drive chain.

Even with a freshly cleaned and oiled chain, it starts making noise after a couple miles of riding. Trimming the shifter sometimes helps, sometimes not. Some gears seem worse than others. The chain has ~1400 miles, but is still under the 0.75 mark with the chain checker. The cassette and derailleur have about 3k miles or so. Is the noise:

Internal to the chain?
Chain rubbing against the (possibly worn) cassette?
Pulleys in the derailleur?
Something else?

I'm annoyed that I can't localize it while off the bike. I might have to find a trainer to borrow and ride on that until it squeaks.