PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Ride

eminva
06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Hello --

Who is doing the Crystal Ride on Sunday? I signed up, but I am a little nervous -- not about riding for 3 1/2 hours, but about riding with such a large group of riders of varied speed and skill. However, I survived Bike DC -- can't be too much worse, right?

Is there water available? As far as refreshments and emergency equipment goes, I don't have a rack on my bike yet so I have to make do with what I can fit in my seatpost bag and pockets.

Also, if anyone has done this before, do you just do as many laps as you can? It is hard for me to guesstimate if I can do the full six laps or will have to content myself with five. I know how fast I can go on trails like the W&OD, but not sure how that translates to a somewhat flat course, which is not something I ever see anywhere in my travels.

Hope to see some familiar faces . . .

Liz

KLizotte
06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
If Curtis ordered you the seatpost thingee (that's a technical term) for the rack, it should be in before the end of the week. Mondays is when they place their orders and the stuff arrives on Thursdays or so I was told.

I've never done or see the Crystal Ride so can't comment on refreshments. I may or may not join depending on my time availability; it will be a last minute decision. If I decide to go, I'll let you know.

The route is very flat except for the long hill up to the Air Force Memorial along Columbia Pike. It's not a killer hill but will probably seem progressively worse with each lap if it is hot out. I'd be more worried about negotiating the downhill with less than experienced riders but if they close off all lanes it may be fine since it is a rather wide road (4 lanes). I suspect BikeDC is far harder to negotiate the packed conditions.

Wear lots of sunscreen and bring water since most of the ride will be in broad sun without any shade. Too bad this cool weather isn't supposed to extend into the wknd.

I need to check the route to see if ya'll are going right by my apartment bldg.

PotomacCyclist
06-06-2012, 05:16 AM
http://www.airforcecyclingclassic.com/PDF/2012/ARL012_CrystalCityMap_51812.pdf

The map shows two separate Hydration Stations, two medical stations and a Technical Support station.

"Revolution Cycles City Hub in Crystal City will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m., Sunday June 10th, to accommodate any last minute needs of cyclists participating in the Crystal Ride."

As for the number of laps, there's no minimum. You can start any time between 7:30 and 9 am. Everyone has to be off the course by 11 am. During that time, you can ride as fast or as slow as you want, but I think you still need to ride at least 2 laps to get the bronze finisher medal.

I would plan on bringing at least one water bottle and some gels or carb chews. I may bring 3 water bottles (water only, no sports drink for me) and several packets of carb chews. But that's because I'm planning to ride fairly hard. (That depends on how quickly I recover from a 5K race on Saturday morning in D.C.)

This will be my first year on the Crystal Ride too. I watched some of the pro races over the last two years. I never did the Crystal Ride because it was scheduled the week before the Washington DC Triathlon and I didn't want to wipe myself out for that race. The WDC Tri is no more, so now my riding calendar has been freed up to do the Crystal Ride (6 laps, hopefully).

vvill
06-06-2012, 07:20 AM
I signed up for my first ride this year to get some catch-up/riding time with a ex-colleague I don't see much anymore (who also commutes by bike). Not really sure what to expect, but I know there are at least a few others on here who've done the ride before.

I expect the first lap will be slooow to get started and then it will thin out.

I'm sure there will be water but not sure what else will be catered. For 3.5 hrs I'll definitely need some top-up calories.

consularrider
06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
This will be my fourth Crystal Ride. I only remember having one water area, somewhere between 18th and 14th Sts. One time it was on the way out (east side) the other was on the way back (west side). Volunteers handed out closed screw top half liter bottes one year, and open ones last year. Makes for fun as riders try to grab them as they ride by. I went through the two 24 oz bottles I brought, plus one half liter bottle I picked up after my sixth lap. I don't remember any food being provided at the start, during the ride, or after.

As was already said, you just ride as many laps as you can, they will pull you off the course at the starting line if it looks like you won't have time to complete a full lap as 11:30 am approaches.

There are a couple of issues. This has been a mass start event, so if you want to be near the front, you need to get out on the street early. I haven't seen how they intend to handle the start this year, and it is something I will ask as I pick up my ride packet on Friday. Last year they had some riders (corporate challenge and maybe team sabre I think) start up at the Air Force Memorial, and two years ago they allowed team sabre to get to the front of the starting group. Otherwise it is a free-for-all. I encourage riders who know they are slower to not line up near the front. The second is to also remind everyone that this is a ride for everyone, regardless of ability or stamina, so please stay to the right unless passing. This is especially important on the turns and on the climb up to the Air Force Memorial. I'm not real sure what the standard is for calling out passes in this type of event.

Mark Blacknell
06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Consularrider gives good advice. My additions:

Unlike BikeDC, there will be many pacelines of riders who are *really* dedicated to getting the fastest time possible. Leave the left side of the road to them.
When you pull over to get water, move slowly to the right and be aware of what's behind you before you stop.
Just spin spin up to the Air Force Memorial, and def stay to the right on the way down if you're not going to bomb it.
The course should be a bit more friendly this year - that really awkward hairpin turn is out.

You'll have great time.

Megabeth
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I've done it every year and every year is slightly different. However, one thing has remained the same - you'll see fast riders out there and you'll see slow riders. On the straights, there is plenty of room for the pacelines to pass on the left. Just stay to the right and they'll do their thing. As you get further into the lap, it does stretch out a bit so the "crowd" feeling in the beginning (through Crystal City proper) but it does go away soon after.

There was a hinky hair-pin last year, on a climb over a ramp, that caused some issues but, again, with anything like that, if you hold your line and remain predictable, folks passing shouldn't a problem. Doesn't look like that's included in this year's course.

I did enjoy the liquid refreshment hand-off last year. Intrepid volunteers stood out in Crystal City and handed out water and flavored water (Vitamin Water? Gatorade? Can't remember.). I made sure to have my own snacks/chewies/bars/etc. with me.

Sunscreen = yes, it's a must.

Oh, finally, at the top of the Air Force Hill there are bathrooms and water fountains so if you're low on water in your bottle you can fill up there. And, take a breather before heading down again. (Best part of that climb is usually there is music or some sort of MC calling out and cheering on folks as they crest the hill. I was called out as, "Hey, it's Georgia Peach again!" on each pass when I wore my yellow Tour of Georgia jersey one year.)

thucydides
06-06-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm glad to hear they axed the hairpin this year. I saw someone go down hard there last year and needed medical treatment. I'm doing the Richmond Xterra on Sunday so will miss it this year. Oh well, have fun and be safe everybody.

eminva
06-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the excellent advice, all. Sounds like my biggest concern -- water -- should not be an issue.

Unlike BikeDC, there will be many pacelines of riders who are *really* dedicated to getting the fastest time possible. Leave the left side of the road to them.
When you pull over to get water, move slowly to the right and be aware of what's behind you before you stop.
Just spin spin up to the Air Force Memorial, and def stay to the right on the way down if you're not going to bomb it.
The course should be a bit more friendly this year - that really awkward hairpin turn is out.

You'll have great time.

I don't know, Mark, your first three bullet points make it hard for me to envision your last sentence. :eek: But I've been passed by pacelines on the local MUTs, the local MUTs have sometimes been so crowded that I had to look over my shoulder before doing an emergency pullover and I'm well aquainted with the laws of gravity carrying many cyclists down hills faster than me. So perhaps my "lone wolf" commuting has prepared me better than I anticipate.

Thanks again!

Liz

PotomacCyclist
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
What was the first year that the Crystal Ride was held?

Megabeth
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I believe it was 2008...?

consularrider
06-07-2012, 01:42 PM
What was the first year that the Crystal Ride was held?
According to the website (http://www.airforcecyclingclassic.com/index.php/component/content/article/31-general/69-the-air-force-cycling-classic), 2008. I missed the first one because I think I was traveling in Africa for work.

PotomacCyclist
06-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I had the impression that it was around for longer than that. Interesting.

I don't think I knew about it until 2010. I wouldn't have participated in 2008, mostly because I didn't have a bike and I wasn't riding then. I caught the triathlon bug in summer 2008 after watching the Summer Olympics on TV. Then I promptly got myself injured that fall by doing too much on the run. (No running injuries since 2009 though.) I did a lot of stationary bike workouts that winter but I didn't get my first bike as an adult until summer 2009. Before that point, I hadn't ridden an outdoor bike in well over a decade.

vvill
06-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Anyone figured out these timing chip thingies yet?

There was an older gentleman in front of me in the queue remonstrating that his bike shoes didn't have laces and he wouldn't be able to attach the band easily.

eminva
06-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Anyone figured out these timing chip thingies yet?

There was an older gentleman in front of me in the queue remonstrating that his bike shoes didn't have laces and he wouldn't be able to attach the band easily.

I was wondering the same thing. Does it have to be affixed to our shoe? Can we put it on our bike (like loop it around the seat tube)? Or somewhere else on our person?

I thought if all else fails, I will wait until I get there to put it on and see what others are doing.

Liz

KLizotte
06-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Does it have to be affixed to our shoe? Can we put it on our bike (like loop it around the seat tube)? Or somewhere else on our person?

I thought if all else fails, I will wait until I get there to put it on and see what others are doing.

Liz

I suspect they show a shoe since these are mostly used by runners in races who obviously have fewer places to attach them to and organizers need a consistent way to measure when people cross the start/finish line.

Anyway I got in as a walk in so I'll be participating tomorrow. Getting up that early is gonna kill me.

Mark Blacknell
06-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Belated response: just loop them through your velcro straps, if that's what you've got. Doesn't need to actually look like a perfect D - just a loop. I'd advise against looping it around a seatpost, though - you'll want to keep it closer to the timing mat.

PotomacCyclist
06-09-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm putting it on the heel pull-on loop on my tri bike shoes. Road bike shoes may not have a heel loop though.

PotomacCyclist
06-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Around 73F for the start of the Crystal Ride, but possibly 87F by the end of the ride! Stay cool out there.

vvill
06-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, it was a fun ride. Although any ride is when they have to close off city streets and open them to a flood of cyclists :D

I managed to see/talk to MB, Tim, Dave K, Mega Beth, eminva, dbb, consularrider, and both Kathys!

Sad to hear they ran out of gold medals though (and water on the Air Force Memorial stop almost 1hr before the end)! But according to their last email blast

In order to accommodate the surge in demand on participation, we will be allowing another 150 walk-up registrations on a first come, first serve basis. However, this may result in a shortage of finishing medals. If this does occur, we will mail medals for those who request one. Medal requests will need to be sent to: info@arlingtonsports.org, and must include bib number.

eminva
06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I made it and it was fun! Thanks for the advice, everyone, it was sound. At first I was afraid I had repeated my mistake from the 1994 Cherry Blossom 10 Miler by starting too far back (which resulted in a very disappointing time for that event -- go ahead, you can look it up on their website. The internet never forgets). The first lap was kind of crowded (and I got stuck behind the big accident by Roslyn), but it gradually got better and eventually I was able to pick up the pace so I could complete the full six laps (but just barely). I didn't get a gold medal because they had run out, but I already emailed asking for them to send one -- we'll see (thanks vvill).

It was good to see everyone -- I think I saw most, but not all of the folks vvill identified. A couple of other Bike Arlington jerseys but I didn't recognize the cyclists wearing them.

Here is a photo -- vvill was kind enough to lend me his medal for staging.

Liz

Arlingtonrider
06-10-2012, 03:31 PM
My ride today was to Costco and back, which didn't qualify me for any of the medals, but I took my cowbell along and stopped for a few minutes on the way there and back to watch for friends and cheer them and other riders along, and got to see several of the people vvill mentioned after the ride. You all did great, especially in that heat. Congratulations!

KLizotte
06-10-2012, 04:43 PM
The first lap was kind of crowded (and I got stuck behind the big accident by Roslyn), but it gradually got better and eventually I was able to pick up the pace so I could complete the full six laps (but just barely). I didn't get a gold medal because they had run out, but I already emailed asking for them to send one -- we'll see (thanks vvill).
Liz

Wow - you're fast! I only managed five laps. Sciatica slowed me down a bit. I saw Tim whizzing around the course. It was great bumping into Mark, Liz and Will.

It was fun being able to go through the finish line multiple times with the music, cowbells, and announcer. Thanks to the folks cheering us on.

TwoWheelsDC
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Looks like it was a good time and I was sad to miss it...stupid social obligations. I did get a whole 1.5 miles in riding to Harris Teeter for brunch supplies, though, so the day wasn't a total loss.

PotomacCyclist
06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Mr. Penny-Farthing made a return appearance, although I think he started later and only did 1 or 2 laps. It was a true penny-farthing, not the lower "modern" type. He was up there, towering over everyone. The drivers on the other side of the jersey wall could see him. I think they were honking in support. I could see all the cyclists smiling and pointing as they approached him from the other direction.

I've heard that he shows up most years, if not every year. I think I've seen him on the MVT before, although that could be a different guy.

consularrider
06-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I just hope Blacknell's photo of me on lap six coming down from the Air Force Memorial turns out. He just snapped it after I gave him a shout out. It was good to see Tim, vvil, Dana, and Kathy at today's ride.

txgoonie
06-10-2012, 08:40 PM
I passed Mr. Penny-Farthing on the rise on southbound Rte. 1 before you hit the exit ramp for 15th St. and shouted some words of encouragement – that contraption is not built for climbing and he was working really hard.

After some sketchiness in the first two laps (especially at points where the route would suddenly get super narrow - eek!), the field spread out and we all could cruise along pretty well. The section at the Air Force Memorial is a great pit stop. After the climb, you can catch your breath, take a drink and then fly back down Columbia Pike, yeah! I'm kinda kicking myself for not going out for one more lap -- I mean, how often do you have those roads car-free!?

Afterward, I watched all the races at the Crystal Cup. There's just no sensation like hearing and feeling a pack of bikes humming by at 35mph. Amazing stuff. All in all, a great day!

acc
06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I made it and it was fun! Thanks for the advice, everyone, it was sound. The first lap was kind of crowded (and I got stuck behind the big accident by Roslyn), but it gradually got better and eventually I was able to pick up the pace so I could complete the full six laps (but just barely). I didn't get a gold medal because they had run out, but I already emailed asking for them to send one -- we'll see (thanks vvill).

Liz

Best part of my weekend is reading you made six laps! That is AWESOME!

dbb
06-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Mark's advice was spot on. Served me well at every location except the real chokepoints. I expect I didn't impact the hardcore riders a moment.

The other rider of note was the gent wearing a vintage wool jersey and shorts. Authenticity is overrated!

It was great seeing everybody today. Find day for a ride!

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2012, 05:11 AM
That was a nasty spill at the end of the men's pro race. The guy needs a skin graft now, or something.

I wonder if it's possible to make a tear-resistant but lightweight and flexible pair of shorts that doesn't chafe more than regular bike shorts. Those would have saved that cyclist some pain on the way back home. Ouch!

Mark Blacknell
06-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Good to see everyone (even if it was a bit too late in some cases - I think I only got a rearview shot of you, Consularrider).

If anyone's interested, here's a (flash) gallery of the men's pro finish (http://www.quovadimusmedia.com/AFCC2012Sprint/), including the unfortunate crash of Team Type 1's Alexi Schmitt.

Also, the penny farthing guy? 3 times up the Air Force Memorial hill. Got a great interview with him that will probably get turned into a Patch column. (Also got to mount the penny farthing, myself - I bet you wish you'd seen *that*.)

dbb
06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Also got to mount the penny farthing, myself - I bet you wish you'd seen *that*.

Alas, the forum policy suggests that without photos, it didn't happen :)

Tim Kelley
06-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Alas, the forum policy suggests that without photos, it didn't happen :)

Agreed, wild claims like that will be ignored.

Megabeth
06-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Crystal Ride was awesome this year. I liked the course a lot better without the hinky hairpins. Also, the pavement was in great shape (except for that little, inconveniently placed, scary pothole right before the climb of Air Force Hill).

I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout-out to my two super-domestiques - Tim and Dave K - who kept me going at a great pace to earn the gold medal at just about 3 hours. (If you saw Tim in the flat sections around lap three and onwards, then that was me tucked in right behind him...)

KLizotte
06-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Those are amazing pics of the crash Mark. Wow, that looks painful. Yeah, I think it's time the manufacturers start looking at weaving Kevlar into the riders kit. Something to think about the next time any of us are whizzing down the hills around here.

Did Mr. PennyFarthing let you ride in circles?

Tim Kelley
06-11-2012, 10:27 AM
A photo from Mark of me, Dave and Megan bombing the downhill. See how composed Megan is!

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
The results for the ride are available. Two guys managed to get 8 laps!

http://airforcecyclingclassic.com/PDF/2012/2012%20AFCC%20Lap%20Times.pdf

Tim Kelley
06-11-2012, 02:59 PM
The results for the ride are available. Two guys managed to get 8 laps!

http://airforcecyclingclassic.com/PDF/2012/2012%20AFCC%20Lap%20Times.pdf

Any idea on who had the fastest lap?

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
A quick scan of the results page shows that someone posted a time of 18:51 in the 7th lap. But I'm not sure that's correct. That would be an average of more than 29 mph for the lap. Since no one else managed to approach that time, he would have had to ride that fast without the help of drafting. Is that even possible for an amateur rider?

His other laps were considerably slower, 26:22 for his 2nd fastest lap. I don't think he would be able to sprint that fast over 9.3 miles at the end of a long day.

A couple other people broke the 23:00 barrier, including a 22:48 from someone named Tim Keller (with an "r"). Or is that actually you and it's a typo? I missed the awards ceremony, so maybe you already received an award for fastest lap. Attention hog. LOL

As for me, I only broke the 30:00 barrier, and only for one lap. Maybe I need to do more hill work. Maybe my legs were tired from the 5K race the day before. Maybe it's the gearing on the tri bike.... Yeah, I think it has to be entirely the fault of the bike. I'll go with that.

Tim Kelley
06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I guess they can't read my handwriting. But no, no award. Did they give those out??

I started towards the back, went out hard for the first two laps and the group I was with just wasn't catching the front and my legs were tired from track intervals the day before. So I bailed and played super-domestique for Megan with DaveK. It was kind of fun stopping to fill up her water bottles and then sprinting to catch back up with her.

But yeah, I think I'll do some Strava uploading to see if I end up with the KOM for a lap!

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I heard that there was an awards ceremony for the Crystal Ride, from 11:05 to 11:30 am next to the Air Force Memorial. I didn't go back up there for the ceremony so I don't know what kind of awards they gave out. I had been under the impression that they weren't keeping track of anything except for laps, but clearly that wasn't the case.

txgoonie
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
29mph? I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely. Just b/c of conditions, route, other riders, etc.

Anybody else's results wrong? My first and second laps were nowhere near 58 and 57 minutes :-(

eminva
06-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I started towards the back,

If you call that the back, where I started was in North Carolina.

Liz

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Here's the video I shot of the final sprint of the men's pro race. You can see the start of the accident, in the middle of the road. He must have hit the ground almost directly in front of me. When I saw him slide past, I thought that maybe I had reached over the fence and somehow caused the crash. But the video and the pictures show that another rider caused the crash. So I won't get banned from watching any future pro bike races!

https://vimeo.com/43806927

Megabeth
06-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Wait a minute! We were right next to you! I'm the stunned one wearing a pink shirt and white hat at the end of your video. You can see I move my hands off the rail because I thought, too, "Oh, s(*&t! Did I stick my head out too far?!?"

Tim Kelley
06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
But yeah, I think I'll do some Strava uploading to see if I end up with the KOM for a lap!

Ha! I wasn't even going to bother, but yeah Strava has reported me with 6 KOMs from that ride. (4 of which being duplicate segments set up by multiple people.)

DaveK
06-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Wait a minute! We were right next to you! I'm the stunned one wearing a pink shirt and white hat at the end of your video. You can see I move my hands off the rail because I thought, too, "Oh, s(*&t! Did I stick my head out too far?!?"

Ha!

Yeah we were standing one person away - that's Megabeth in the hat and I'm the one in the blue shirt looking concerned at about 18 seconds. Or clearing my throat. Anyway, small world... I'm really glad the microphone didn't catch me screaming like a girl.

Mark Blacknell
06-11-2012, 05:44 PM
PotomacCyclist - are you the guy with the very un-aero beard?

PotomacCyclist
06-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Nope, no beard. I don't think I could grow one like that guy even if I wanted to.

Because I was so concerned about turning the camera to keep the focus on the leaders, I don't think I would have noticed if Alexi Schmitt was heading right for me. His bike could have come flying up at my head and I wouldn't have even seen it. I barely noticed him sliding by until I saw him about 15 feet down the road.

vvill
06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
29mph? I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely. Just b/c of conditions, route, other riders, etc.

Anybody else's results wrong? My first and second laps were nowhere near 58 and 57 minutes :-(

Mine seemed pretty accurate. Where did you have your timing chip?

A quick scan of the results page shows that someone posted a time of 18:51 in the 7th lap. But I'm not sure that's correct. That would be an average of more than 29 mph for the lap. Since no one else managed to approach that time, he would have had to ride that fast without the help of drafting. Is that even possible for an amateur rider?

They probably just looped back around without doing the whole lap - I don't think the timing system's that smart. If they had mats in Rosslyn and the Air Force Memorial then they could get some pretty cool timing breakdowns. (But still, I'm impressed with the setup - this is the first time I've been in a timed cycling event.)

I'm always amazed at how much faster I can ride with other riders around (to motivate/draft off)... I started maybe midpack and didn't actually get to get going until after Rosslyn on my first lap. About 100 yards after that turn, someone's mostly full water bottle rolled towards me and other riders were calling "water bottle!". I slowed enough to let it roll in slowly onto my front wheel and picked it up but I guess not as slowly as I thought as the rider behind me fell off his bike. Oops. Then I looked around for a gap to throw it off the course but it was hard to find a good spot as I was on the far left.

I think it would be good if the event was NOT a mass start. They could simply have groups based on previous year's finish times (and newbies would just go into the back group).

Here's the video I shot

Ouch! I saw Mark's photos but the video looks more painful somehow (I guess because you can see the limping OUCH gait.)
"That is a lot of road rash..."

eminva
06-11-2012, 08:40 PM
A photo from Mark of me, Dave and Megan bombing the downhill. See how composed Megan is!

Mark, did you manage to get a photo here when I came down? Would it be possible to see it? Thanks. Not that I expect to be composed looking or anything.

Liz

Mark Blacknell
06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I could have sworn I had your email somewhere, but apparently I don't. And anyway, who cares, because this is a great shot:

(Not, of course, to imply that any privately emailed shots *aren't* great . . . )

I've also got shots of Kathy, Will, Chris (CR - not very good, alas), Dana, and . . am I missing anyone here on the forum? In any event, I'll get them to you. To be clear, I'm not competing with Jenny Ruley Photography (event photog). I *highly* encourage checking out what her people snagged, and buying it if you like it. If people want reliable event photography to survive, they need to support it.

(Also just realizing that it was you, Elcee, that I walked past on Saturday thinking "Hmm, I totally know this guy. Who's this guy? [kept walking] Ah well." Sorry about that.)

txgoonie
06-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Mine seemed pretty accurate. Where did you have your timing chip?

On my shoe, where it was supposed to be. I've done a dozen running races with D-tags and never had any issue with them. My 5th and 6th laps were recorded accurately, but 1/2 and 3/4 were combined. Odd. ?? Oh well. It's not like prize money was on the line. I just wanna feel like I really earned my medal!

I'm always amazed at how much faster I can ride with other riders around (to motivate/draft off)...

This. I hopped on some pretty fast-moving pacelines, which I pretty much never get to do. It rocked.

Mark Blacknell
06-12-2012, 08:40 AM
On my shoe, where it was supposed to be. I've done a dozen running races with D-tags and never had any issue with them. My 5th and 6th laps were recorded accurately, but 1/2 and 3/4 were combined. Odd.

They've got timing issues every year. Sometimes it gets sorted, sometimes it doesn't. I was just happy to see that - for once - people didn't feel like the course closed early on them.

PotomacCyclist
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Last year, I won the 90+ age group in a 5K, or at least I was competitive in that category. Funny. I don't feel a day over 89 1/2. About 20 or 30 people were automatically moved into the 90+ AG while a dozen or so top runners seemed to have morphed into 12-yr-olds.

vvill
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
On my shoe, where it was supposed to be. I've done a dozen running races with D-tags and never had any issue with them. My 5th and 6th laps were recorded accurately, but 1/2 and 3/4 were combined. Odd. ?? Oh well. It's not like prize money was on the line. I just wanna feel like I really earned my medal!

This. I hopped on some pretty fast-moving pacelines, which I pretty much never get to do. It rocked.

Did you bunny hop way over the timing mats? :D Maybe they have some sort of automatic smoothing algorithm for detection that was a little too aggressive in your case. Or maybe there's some limit to how many riders go over the mats at once at the same time? Clutching at straws here...

Yeah it was fun with the pacelines. I should've probably started further up front though as I think my pace ended up having me pass other people most of the time (I didn't expect that though - I thought I was going to be scraping in to get 6 laps). That was probably the fastest 50+ mi ride I've ever done.

Tim Kelley
06-12-2012, 09:39 AM
while a dozen or so top runners seemed to have morphed into 12-yr-olds.

Don't under estimate a 12 year old. They have a great power to weight ratio.

PotomacCyclist
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I've seen some 10-yr-olds beating my hide in 5Ks (although I think I managed to beat all of them in the race on Saturday). But the race last year had several supposed 12-yr-olds among the leaders in the race. While some of them are fast, they usually aren't as fast as the local elite runners. (I do not belong to that group. I belonged to the proud 90-yr-olds instead.) Also, I didn't remember seeing that many fast kids that day. Maybe a couple, but not as many as showed up in the standings, along with all the supposedly fast 90-yr-olds. It was the oddest results page I've ever seen.

PotomacCyclist
06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
The big weakness for most of the kids I've seen is their inconsistency and lack of pacing skills. They have youthful speed but they don't show any restraint. They will sprint almost all-out for half a mile and wear themselves out. Then they start walking. Then they get their 2nd wind and start sprinting again. They repeat the process until they finally wear out completely and walk it in the rest of the way. But there are a couple local exceptions. Once they figure out proper pacing and proper endurance training, then they start beating most of the adults (like me).

eminva
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
The big weakness for most of the kids I've seen is their inconsistency and lack of pacing skills. They have youthful speed but they don't show any restraint. They will sprint almost all-out for half a mile and wear themselves out. Then they start walking. Then they get their 2nd wind and start sprinting again. They repeat the process until they finally wear out completely and walk it in the rest of the way.

You are describing my 11-year-old. Much to my alarm, I have realized he can outsprint me. On a mountain bike. But throw in any distance, and the result is wild inconsistency.

Liz

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gepsl4

06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Anybody else's results wrong?

My total time and first lap time were wrong. I crossed the timing mats on my way to line up for the start, and I'm pretty sure that's when they started timing my ride.

Tim Kelley
06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
TBD Photo album: http://www.tbd.com/pictures/2012/06/air-force-cycling-classic-takes-arlington-/22759-1596.html

consularrider
06-12-2012, 01:21 PM

My laps one through five are spot on with my Garmin. For lap six I hit the stop button instead of the lap button and didn't notice it until I was at least halfway to Rosslyn and then didn't bother to restart. My guesstimate for my total time based on what I had for the clock start time and what was on the Garmin when I crossed the finish the sixth time was still within a minute of the official recorded time.

DOS
06-12-2012, 02:35 PM
"TBD Photo album: http://www.tbd.com/pictures/2012/06/...2759-1596.html "

Hey thats me in photo 16. 2nd position on far right coming up the hill. Cool

PotomacCyclist
06-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I think the guy on the recumbent bike should have installed a flag. Because he was so low to the ground, other cyclists couldn't see him. The course was so crowded in the first lap that people kept passing others and moving up on the recumbent quickly because they couldn't see him. (Apologies if it's someone on the forum, but I saw some near misses because of that situation.)

I didn't sneak into the TBD gallery. But at least I got a picture with Miss America at the expo. I'll settle for that.

txgoonie
06-16-2012, 02:57 PM
The website is now say that there aren't any official race photos: "We did not end up having a photo service on-site this year. We will post links to a variety of free-lance photographers who did shoot the race and ride."

http://airforcecyclingclassic.com/index.php/photosvideo

I confess, I'm kinda bummed. I was looking forward to seeing them :-(

PotomacCyclist
06-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I saw that yesterday. Disappointing news. If they didn't have any arrangements with photographers, why even bother with the number bibs? A timing chip would have been sufficient.

I hope they have official race photos in the future. The free-lance photographers didn't take that many pictures of the Crystal Ride. Some of them were participating in the ride. I guess we should encourage people to bring their GoPro cameras and snap pictures/video while they're riding, from now on.

Al_Helmet
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
My total time and first lap time were wrong. I crossed the timing mats on my way to line up for the start, and I'm pretty sure that's when they started timing my ride.

My ride isn't even registered. Kind of a bummer since I did 8 laps... I sent them my Strava so I hope I get my gold medal at least. I had the timer on my foot as advised.

PotomacCyclist
06-21-2012, 11:35 PM
The Team Sabre jerseys are available for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170865160214#ht_500wt_1214

The link was posted on the official Air Force Cycling Classic page on Facebook, so I assume this is an official seller, not an outside party.

consularrider
06-22-2012, 03:11 PM
According to an email I got today from Arlington sports, there are supposed to be some Team Sabre jerseys available at Revolution Cycles on Clarendon in Arlington (and can you still get the Bike Arlington jersey there?). I have two from 2010, there was a misprint and the one they gave us before the ride was missing all the sponsors' logos. Also, they are a race fit, not club cut, don't know whether that is true for the 2012 version, but you might want to try it on before you buy.

zanna_leigh
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
According to an email I got today from Arlington sports, there are supposed to be some Team Sabre jerseys available at Revolution Cycles on Clarendon in Arlington (and can you still get the Bike Arlington jersey there?).

Yes you can still get the BikeArlington jerseys at Revolution Cycles. If they don't have your size we'll make sure to stock 'em up!

PotomacCyclist
06-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Someone posted another set of photos from the Crystal Ride:

http://robcurrie.zenfolio.com/p18155394

eminva
07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
. . . I was able to pick up the pace so I could complete the full six laps (but just barely). I didn't get a gold medal because they had run out, but I already emailed asking for them to send one -- we'll see (thanks vvill). . . .

In case the suspense was killing you, my gold medal arrived in the mail today! That makes a total of three medals on the hook on my bulletin board (it joins the other two from Race for the Cure). I am a winner. Woo hoo!

Liz