PDA

View Full Version : How many upgrades before it's not worth it?

TwoWheelsDC
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Okay, this is one of those "sell or upgrade" questions, and I'm trying to see if there's a consensus. Currently, I have two bikes...a commuter (cross bike) and a weekend/fitness/travel bike (henceforth known as n+1). So N+1 is a 2003 Cannondale R400 that I got off CL. It's in pretty good shape and rides very smooth. I had it overhauled and also put a new chain/cassette on it. All told, I've got about $600 into it and I've used it for two century rides and a number of shorter rides on weekends, so I think the money was definitely well spent. However, I'm thinking that I'd like to have a more serious/capable road bike with more up-to-date components. The primary weakness is the brifters, which are 8spd Soras. They work fine, but it's my understanding that I pretty much can't upgrade any other components until I get 9 or 10 spd shifters on there. So I'm looking at going up to a 105 drivetrain, and possibly also replacing the stem/handlebars and maybe the fork, but that's a low priority. By the time I do that, I'd almost have spent enough (including my what I've spent so far) to have gotten a new bike instead. I figure a 105 equipped aluminum Cannondale runs about $1500.

So what would you do? A) Spend a bunch of money upgrading a bike that fits you well and that you like, or B) cut your losses and buy a new bike? The one thing I like about option A is that the bike wouldn't be a cookie cutter bike, it'd be a bit more personalized. Also, gradual upgrades go over much easier with the Mrs. If I did get a new bike, I'd just ride N+1 into the ground and probably pick something up (carbon fiber, perhaps?) next season.

For reference, here is N+1:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/7156435543_6f2ec4f535.jpg

Certifried
06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
This is such a personal thing, I think only you can ultimately answer for yourself. I just bought a road bike not long ago, and already finding that I need a second that is better suited for my commuting. For me, I want to build it myself (with LBS mechanical assistance) so I have exactly what I want. I don't know if this will be cheaper or more expensive, but I know it will be a bike I can build over time to exactly what I want it to be.

So, I vote build one (which isn't one of your options LOL)

Tim Kelley
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
We could set up a voting poll thread to let the forum decide what you should do! Interested?

jabberwocky
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd vote for a new bike, unless you really really love the one you have now. The primary reason is that for a bit more money you'll have a whole new bike, and you'll still have the one you have now as a backup.

TwoWheelsDC
06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
I'd vote for a new bike, unless you really really love the one you have now. The primary reason is that for a bit more money you'll have a whole new bike, and you'll still have the one you have now as a backup.

**sigh** I don't really have the space to do that. We barely have enough room for my fiance's bike, my commuter, and N+1...and right now, the commuter is stashed under the porch stairs, which is bad enough.

TwoWheelsDC
06-05-2012, 11:03 AM
We could set up a voting poll thread to let the forum decide what you should do! Interested?

Yes! I will rely on the collective wisdom of #bikeDC!

americancyclo
06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd hang on to it for about three more months until the 2013 models start coming out to the shops and they need to sell their old stock at a discount. You'll save some coin on a new bike, and your current one won't depreciate any more than it already has in three months.

Tim Kelley
06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
I've started a new thread with a poll here: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?2350-Should-TwoWheelsDC-Upgrade-Sell-amp-Buy-New-or-Do-Something-Else

I'll close this thread, so head over there!