PDA

View Full Version : Guerrilla walking promotion

KLizotte
04-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Neat article about guerilla tactics to get people walking:

RALEIGH, N.C. — On a January night, under cover of darkness, Matt Tomasulo and friends dared to commit a subversive act: They placed 27 signs at three intersections in Raleigh, advising people how long it takes to walk from one destination to another.

“It’s an 18 minute walk to Glenwood South,” read one sign in purple, the color Tomasulo chose for commercial interests. “It’s a 7 minute walk to Raleigh City Cemetery,” read another in green, designated for public spaces.

On a January night he and friends put up 27 signs that advised people how to walk to various locations. The project, part of his master’s thesis, has taken off with city officials, with two other states now planning to use his signs. The signs were so well-made that city officials assumed someone had authorized them....

Rest of the article here. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nc-students-guerrilla-project-to-encourage-people-to-walk-get-support-of-officials/2012/04/11/gIQAi7buAT_story.html)

I like the time component of these signs.

off2ride
04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Another place I can think of in the Carolina's that needs signs like that is this place called Ocean Lakes Resort. Golf carts RULE in that place. Unfortunately the resort does not have a designated path for walking/running. I was there for a week and didn't see any. Nice cribs though. BTW, how r u K?

dasgeh
04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
It would be awesome if Charlotte put some of those up before the DNC...

Walking times would be helpful on some of the Arlington wayfinding signs, if it's not too late. I see tourists around the cemetery and Iwa Jima who are confused about how long it's going to take them to get back to Rosslyn...