PDA

View Full Version : Fairfax County Residents -- Call to Restore Bike Funding

acc
04-10-2012, 07:11 AM
WABA (Washington Area Bicyclist Association) and FABB (Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling) both put out the call yesterday for Fairfax County residents to contact their Board of Supervisors Representative and ask for funding for the Bicycle Program.

Despite our best efforts last year the funding was eliminated. The current situation is we have a Bike Coordinator but that person has no funds. Zero budget. No dinero.

The kinds of work that could get done if there was funding include the repaving of the Fairfax County Parkway Trail, money for sharrows and signs reminding motorists we actually do belong on the road. It would mean funding to continue the work developed in both the Tysons and Countywide Bicycle Plan.

Meanwhile Arlington, The City of Alexandria, and DC have all found resources to fund their bike programs.

WABA's Link: https://hq-salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/451/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=1243127

FABB's Link: http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/

ann

Mikey
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
I posted my response yesterday. Everyone do your part.

eminva
04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I also replied yesterday. I amended the WABA boilerplate language to include how many miles I ride each year in Fairfax and that I ride both for transportation and recreation. I also mentioned that my 11-year-old is trying to get some independence with a bike. I've never met Cathy Hudgens, but if I ever do, I will be sure to bring this topic up. I suspect this will be a perennial issue with tight budgets.

Liz

eminva
04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Two things I forgot in my earlier message:

-Thanks, Ann, for bringing this up.

-If I'd had more time to think about my response, I probably would have tweaked them about how DC and Arlington are so far ahead of Fairfax County in bike friendliness and commitment to bike infrastructure. At least Fairfax has a bike map, unlike certain other suburban counties in our region. However, we don't want to fall further behind our neighbors as cycling is becoming more popular. It ultimately becomes a tax base issue, as young professionals will be drawn to jursdictions with the amenities they want.

Liz