PDA

View Full Version : "Worlds Fastest eBike"

CCrew
03-29-2012, 04:29 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5897339/worlds-fastest-e+bike-keeps-pace-with-city-traffic/gallery/1

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/video-specialized-turbo-the-worlds-fastest-electric-bike-33568/

One of those hack jobs from some unknown manufacturer :)

ronwalf
03-29-2012, 07:31 AM
One of those hack jobs from some unknown manufacturer :)

"Due to regulatory requirements, there are many markets, including the USA, where the Turbo is simply too fast to be legal."

I'm wondering about Specialized's market here? It's not legal in the US, UK, and much of Europe. I guess they plan to make up for the limited market with its $8500 price tag!

CCrew
03-29-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm wondering about Specialized's market here? It's not legal in the US, UK, and much of Europe. I guess they plan to make up for the limited market with its $8500 price tag!

Electronic speed limiter get it past regs you think? And yeah, too rich for my blood!

pfunkallstar
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM
I've seen a number of E-bike...ers on the Custis recently and at least one of them was almost keeping up with me cruising along at 20 mph or so - he was rocking jeans and a flannel shirt...not sure E-bikes really make for the best workout. On the upside he seemed really upbeat and had a goofy sign on the back about green commuting or something like that. I guess it is almost green, albeit electricity for his bike requires coal, while my legs require nothing more than jelly donuts (higher energy density).

KLizotte
03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Maybe he has a wind turbine behind his house to charge up the bike? :rolleyes:

I once saw a guy park a zip car in its allotted parking spot, pull out a folding bike, then bike away for the remainder of his journey. I was quite impressed with his green credentials (let's face it, we all need a car sometimes). Think of all the land we could reclaim if most city dwellers did the same.

jnva
03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
No freaking way a 250 watt motor will push any bike 28 mph without heavy pedaling! And if you are pedaling hard enough to go that fast why bother with the ebike? Maybe this bike can do 15mph with zero pedaling. I really hate how ebike manufacturers falsely advertise the top speed and distance possible. Notice how vaguely the battery and motor are described. Most people would not know that it takes between 800-1000 watts @ 20amps to go 28mph! 342wh battery is pretty small - if this bike actually could get up to 28mph, it wont get you very far and then you are stuck pedaling a heavy bike. You really Need to do homework before buying an ebike to make sure you are getting what you want.

CCrew
03-29-2012, 01:52 PM
. I really hate how ebike manufacturers falsely advertise the top speed and distance possible.

That's Specialized, which taking it further is owned by Merida, one of the largest bike manufacturers in the world. I'll bet they're not over-fudging it.

jnva
03-29-2012, 05:00 PM
I'll bet they're not over-fudging it.

I'll take that bet! :)

342 watt hours on my bike averaging 20 mph, I can go about 10 miles. At 28mph it would probably be half that with wind resistance. Lithium batteries can not be fully discharged, so the usable capacity is more like 300wh. They are claiming 24 miles @ 28mph. This would be amazing if it's true!

rcannon100
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I am thinking strongly about getting an ebike. I am old; I have a blown hamstring. I am facing months of recovery - months off the bike - months of either driving to work *bleh* or riding public trans *double bleh* As I get older, I realize I cannot push my body as hard as I use to. But I still want to ride a bike and I would rather commute on a bike than by car or WHAMATA

Is there an ebike that people like? I saw this specialized. I mean the price tag is a joke. I have talked to a number of commuters on ebikes. They love them. Two guys did conversion kits. Saw a woman on the custis with a nice bike. Another guy last week on a trail on a bike he said he bought on Amazon. Currie lead batteries I think. Would rather not have lead batteries. Any recommendations?

eminva
03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
I am thinking strongly about getting an ebike. I am old; I have a blown hamstring. I am facing months of recovery - months off the bike - months of either driving to work *bleh* or riding public trans *double bleh* As I get older, I realize I cannot push my body as hard as I use to. But I still want to ride a bike and I would rather commute on a bike than by car or WHAMATA

I am very sorry to hear about your injury, but I applaud your efforts to stay on the bike. During an earlier discussion of ebikes, it occurred to me that they could be very helpful in situations like this. I was off the bike for eight and a half months in 2009 due to health problems. I had to work (no life of leisure for me) but couldn't ride Metro due to compromised immune system so I adjusted my schedule and got a ride from a kind friend. In retrospect, I probably could have ridden an ebike until I was recovered enough to go back to my own bike. Would I have spent the money for what I knew would be a limited time? I dunno, but it would have been good to consider that option.

there an ebike that people like? I saw this specialized. I mean the price tag is a joke. I have talked to a number of commuters on ebikes. They love them. Two guys did conversion kits. Saw a woman on the custis with a nice bike. Another guy last week on a trail on a bike he said he bought on Amazon. Currie lead batteries I think. Would rather not have lead batteries. Any recommendations?

Are you interested in a do-it-yourself project? My brother-in-law has built two ebikes himself (he is an engineer) and I know there are resources out there, possibly even boards like this. I can contact him for info if you are interested.

Liz

jnva
03-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Any recommendations?

Email Justin at ebikes.ca or Paul at emissions-free.com if you decide to go the conversion route. They are both honest and will help you with a kit based on what you need and your riding style. Paul may be hard to reach but it's worth the wait. Don't waste your time with sla batts or cheap eBay kits!

rcannon100
03-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Are you interested in a do-it-yourself project?

Thanks. Yes, there are good conversion kits. Seems like the two big companies are Currie and Bionix. This idea appeals to me - as the full ebike option, the bikes look like crap. I am tall and ride an urban bike. The idea of like going to Phoenix Bikes and picking up a tall urban bike frame, and then using a good conversion kit... I may go this route. And yes, the "cheap kits on ebay" worry me. On the one hand it is an expensive venture where you could end up with junk, on the other hand the people I have talked to love them - and if it works, I get to stay on the bike.

When I get stronger, I could definitely see getting back to 100% bike commuting, but switching back and forth between bikes so I dont blow my leg out again.

And yes, ROI is key. At $1000 say, and and WMATA says it costs me $5.20 a day to ride them (plus they are raising fairs, plus health benefits, plus being able to bike more to say the grocery store instead of using the car, plus mental health benefits of not being in the 8th ring of hell aka rush hour traffic)... that means the bike would be paid for in 192 trips. That's not that bad.