PDA

View Full Version : More Bike Lanes :-)

mrkenny83
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
From DCist: http://dcist.com/2012/03/with_columbia_road_work_on_new_dc_b.php

With Columbia Road, Work on New D.C. Bike Lanes Rolls On

After a few years of aggressive striping of new bike lanes across the District, work on new lanes seemed to stall a bit in 2011. But with a few new big bike lane projects set to roll in the next few weeks and months, we may start seeing a little forward momentum on establishing broader cycling infrastructure—and just in time for good weather.

One of the most prominent projects will be a bike lane stretching from Connecticut Avenue to 16th Street NW along Columbia Road. The bike lane, which has been under discussion for almost a year, moved forward suddenly in recent weeks, with spray-painted lines appearing where the lanes will go on the road's surface. According to the D.C. Department of Transportation, though, work was put off for a few weeks when a contractor discovered that removing existing lanes would produce a lot of dust; the contractor is purchasing a large vacuum to deal with it.

To accommodate the new bike lanes, middle lanes along stretches of Columbia Road are being removed. Due to concerns of business owners that take deliveries from trucks that tend to use the lanes to parking, new loading zone restrictions will appear along two segments of the road—between Mintwood Place and 18th Street and in front of the Safeway. Where a full bike lane cannot fit, bike markings will be painted on to the roadway indicated that cyclists can use the full lane of traffic.

According to TBD, cycletracks along L and M Streets NW are also moving along, with work set to begin this summer. The following bike lanes are also expected for 2012, for a total of 5.5 miles this year:

4th St, SW - Virginia Ave to I St

New York Ave, NW - 9th St to 15th St

Upshur St - 8th St to Rock Creek Church Rd

I St SW/SE - 7th St to New Jersey Ave

Tilden St, NW - Reno Rd Connecticut Ave

R St, NW - Florida Ave to Met Branch Trail

The last lane on that list has been the topic of some heated discussion in the Northeast neighborhood of Eckington. A DDOT proposal to add a contraflow lane on R Street between Harry Thomas Way and 3rd Street NE on the inside side of cars (a la 15th Street NW) provoked some opposition from residents who said it would put them in danger when they opened their cars doors into traffic, but at a recent meeting DDOT officials said they would move forward with the lane.

OneEighth
03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
This is all good, but especially with the planned Cabi expansion into the Mall, what we really need is a safe link down 15th between where the lanes end at Treasury and the 14th Street Bridge.

jrenaut
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
+1 to link between 15th and the 14th St Bridge.

Also, I love how DDOT responds to concerns that delivery trucks could no longer park illegally in the middle of the road. And I'm a little worried about what they mean by "where a bike lane can't fit . . ." - does that mean anyone using the lane will suddenly have to merge into traffic? That sounds worse than not having a bike lane at all.

KLizotte
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
+1 to link between 15th and the 14th St Bridge.

Also, I love how DDOT responds to concerns that delivery trucks could no longer park illegally in the middle of the road. And I'm a little worried about what they mean by "where a bike lane can't fit . . ." - does that mean anyone using the lane will suddenly have to merge into traffic? That sounds worse than not having a bike lane at all.

This a clear example of how our zoning laws need to change. Folks build homes and businesses without parking lots or places for their delivery vehicles to load/unload. They just assume the street is an extension of their private real estate.

It annoys the heck out of me when I see a home owner park in the street even though they have a driveway. They usually do this because they don't want to have to play "shuffle the cars in the driveway" if they own more than one vehicle.

Streets should be for through traffic only. Rant over.

jrenaut
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
This a clear example of how our zoning laws need to change. Folks build homes and businesses without parking lots or places for their delivery vehicles to load/unload. They just assume the street is an extension of their private real estate.
The problem is where to put it? I don't think there's anywhere for loading docks to go. The backs of a lot of those businesses are residential streets, so they can't really put anything there, and wouldn't want the trucks on those streets anyway. I really have no idea what a reasonable solution is. But I drag the kids in the trailer down that stretch of Columbia almost every day, and better bike facilities would be awesome. Traffic is light enough before 18th at 345pm so it's not too big a deal, but I do have to leave Columbia for a less direct but also less traveled route once I cross 18th.