PDA

View Full Version : Tim Johnson's Ride On Washington: Come Ride With US!!!! HOLD THIS DATE!

Dirt
02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
More details will follow on this. I just want to get people thinking about taking part of a day off... or even just a long lunch break to join us.

TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2012

I'm not talking about riding the whole thing... but just the last day... or just PART of the last day.

Last day will be Baltimore to DC. The route is about 50 miles of rolling hills. Things move along at a fairly spirited clip for the first 35 miles of that.

But what we'd REALLY like is to get a good group of people to join us for the last part of it... Between College Park and the Capitol. We'll publish the exact route we're taking and a pretty good guestimate of when we'll be where. The plan is to pick up people along the way and get a nice, huge group of riders for the last few miles. We'll pass many CaBi stations, so some folks can grab a bike and join us.

This section of the ride will be casually paced. Tim might have to jump ahead to do some schmoozing at the end, but there will be guides and other riders to lead the whole group in, so we lose no-one (Like we did last year when Tim was late for an ESPN interview and wound up conducting it on his cell phone while flying through the city at 18+mph with the rest of us chasing like crazy.)

At the end of the ride we'll have a big gathering with a bunch of riders and cyclists. Festivities are in the works.... as is the exact location of the final arrival point. We'll have all that info finalized soon.

This was by far the funnest part of the ride last year. Please mark that date on our calendar and come out and welcome us to DC!!!! I'll post up more details when I've got them!!!

http://rideonwashington.org/

Tim Kelley
02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
The BikeArlington team will be attending the National Bike Summit (which is what this ride is in conjunction with) and we've been kicking around the idea of doing the ride in from Baltimore too. Looking forward to it--thanks for getting the word out, Pete!

DaveK
02-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Would love to if I can swing it... maybe I'll just take the day off to come ride with you guys.

Arlingtonrider
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
I'll plan on joining you somewhere!

eminva
02-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I will also join you somewhere. I will also make a donation whenever I next sit down and attend to my personal finances (same for you for the Climate Ride, Zanna!).

I looked at the Tim Johnson Facebook page and saw those cool bike bumper stickers -- do I get one of those? It seems I may grow old waiting for the Rapha Festive 500 patch, so I need some shiny thing . . .

Liz

Greenbelt
02-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Marked it on the calendar. I'll try to spread the word in the College Park area and along the route (Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Catholic U...)

Dirt
02-17-2012, 09:10 AM
I should have some brochures from Bikes Belong in a few days. I'm going to do some kind of pre-ride event at both FreshBikes in Arlington and hopefully Proteus (I'll show up at a Thursday Potluck and talk up the ride a bit).

Liz, I'm pretty sure I'll get a couple of those stickers from Victory Circle Graphics. I'll save one (or two) for you.

Lots more specific information will be coming soon. I'm gonna go scout some stuff early this afternoon.

Thanks y'all for your donations!!!! (@Zanna: I'll get you for the Climate Change Ride too!!! I wish I could do that one... It is a fun ride, but I just don't have the time off.)

Pete

vvill
02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Sounds great - I think I should be able to make it.

Dirt
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Looks like we've got a pre-ride event set up with Proteus (Details forthcoming).

I've got one more evening pre-ride event in the works on the NOVA side. Nailing that down soon.

Thanks y'all for your support and for joining in.

Greenbelt
02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Dirt, our shop ride yesterday took a route that highlighted some of the DC bike infrastructure: Anacostia tributary trails, Met Branch trail, R street crosstown bike lane (westbound only, Zanna), 15th Street cycletrack, and Penn. Ave bike lanes to get to the Mall area. Here are some video clips:

http://vimeo.com/37075777

Dirt
02-19-2012, 07:48 PM
You, mr Greenbelt, sir, are not a horrible person at all.

Dirt
02-20-2012, 10:16 AM
The video is great, sir. Thank you! It definitely helps. It will be interesting to see what the trail dynamic is going to be. We might have 50+ people just riding along. When it comes to the streets, I venture to say we'll be taking the lane. Bikes Belong!

skreaminquadz
02-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting - I've put it on my calendar. Not sure yet if I'll take a 1/2 day off or full day. See you all there!

consularrider
02-20-2012, 05:46 PM
I've got it on my calendar, but can't be sure I'll get the time off. Also have to work out the logistics of getting somewhere to join the group.

Greenbelt
02-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Looks like this thread got washcycled today. http://www.thewashcycle.com/2012/02/thursday-morning-commute-.html

Dirt
02-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice! I'll get the announcement out about the pre-ride events at Proteus and hopefully FreshBikes in the next day or so.

Dirt
02-24-2012, 12:55 PM
We have a starting point and time in Baltimore.

Our hotel in Baltimore is: Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor, 131 East Redwood Street, Baltimore, Maryland

If you're riding the whole last day, please arrive by 0830 and be ready to ride a little before 0900.

If you're getting a lift from a friend or family member to Baltimore and have an extra seat in the car, let me know. I'm sure we could get some people to fill that seat and chip in for gas. :D

Love,

Pete

DaveK
02-24-2012, 03:00 PM
We have a starting point and time in Baltimore.

Our hotel in Baltimore is: Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor, 131 East Redwood Street, Baltimore, Maryland

If you're riding the whole last day, please arrive by 0830 and be ready to ride a little before 0900.

If you're getting a lift from a friend or family member to Baltimore and have an extra seat in the car, let me know. I'm sure we could get some people to fill that seat and chip in for gas. :D

Love,

Pete

Do you know the route? My wife drives up the Parkway from DC every day and could drop me off to ride back in.

Dirt
02-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Do you know the route? My wife drives up the Parkway from DC every day and could drop me off to ride back in.
The route will be finalized this next week. They're still working on it a bit.

Greenbelt
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Photo from a prior ride included here (note the photo credit): http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/news/road/must-readwatch-cycling-advocacy-merger_207200

I remembered this old video too on route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFaFHewboMQ

Tim Kelley
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
It's looking like I'll be leaving from Arlington that morning around 7:15am to head up towards Baltimore doing the route backwards and trying to meet up with the group somewhere along the way.

Anyone interested in some pace lining?

zanna_leigh
02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
My wife drives up the Parkway from DC every day and could drop me off to ride back in.

If you have an extra seat in the car I wouldn't mind hitching a ride either.... :)

DaveK
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
If you have an extra seat in the car I wouldn't mind hitching a ride either.... :) I don't know if I want to bust my hump trying to keep up with Tim now... decisions, decisions. Fortunately we've got some time. If I do end up doing that you can definitely hitch a ride.

Only thing is I need to make sure her work location will be the same then. Depending on the assignment she may be in a different spot, same general area though.

Dirt
02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Awesome that y'all are coming up. I will talk to the people at Freshbikes tonight when I stop by to see if they have ideas on how they are caravaning up to Baltimore. I've been told a few times that they've got some people going up. I have to drop off some literature there tonight.

One option is to take train up the night before and get a hotel. It makes for a late night because the only train that allows baggage is the 10pm train. That's how I'm getting to Boston.

I've been told that the last day will be a more inclusive pace than what we will have ridden the 4 preceding days. I know the pace from Collage Park into DC will be quite mellow. I'll talk to some folks and see if perhaps they'll have some folks who can guide at a more mellow pace. In theory I've got to stay with the front group because we've got a few things along the way for the people who complete the whole ride.

Dirt
02-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Some of the other folks who will be joining in on the ride are:
*Pete Webber from IMBA... former pro mountain biker.
*Richard Fries from Bikes Belong. He's got a great history as a cycling journalist and ambassador. I rode shoulder to shoulder with Richard quite a bit last year and he is a great guy to listen to and learn from.
*Jan Bolland Tanner 1992 women's Team Time Trial World Champ with many more impressive results on her resume.

That's just a few of the people that will be on the ride. It should be a cool opportunity to ride with these folks!!! All of them are not only great cyclists with cool histories, but they're also very serious about their advocacy.

elcee
02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Any idea when you're going to hit College Park? I might Metro to there then ride down to DC.

eminva
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I was thinking of joining in at College Park, too.

Pete, do you think anyone at or associated with Proteus be willing to guide a grupetto into DC? You have some fast company there and I'm guessing their definition of "mellow" would be on the fast side. I would offer myself, but I would probably get lost in that trail network and end up at the Severn River. Or the Missouri River. (with apologies to Greenbelt, who patiently guided me through there once before).

Liz

Greenbelt
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm planning to ride the last leg from College Park to DC. Happy to guide a sprinters' gruppetto at the back...

Dirt
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
I think all of us will be ready for a fairly relaxed day of riding. :)

I should have a better idea of the whole route a little later this week. I'll be able to give a good estimate of when we will hit College Park. If I had to guess right now, I would say we will be there a few minutes before noon.

Thanks Greenbelt for your help with this.

Pete.

vvill
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm waiting to see what the route is to figure out my options. I'd much rather ride from home/work to somewhere on the route than take metro at all. I've never ridden east of the 9:30 Club (sheltered, I know) but getting to at least College Park seems doable.

Dirt
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
I talked to J-Wa (aka Jason Walder) at FreshBikes and he and Scott are thinking about riding up to Baltimore early that morning. Tim, you might have someone to ride with.

Dirt
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Greetings folks.

Thanks for your patience with all the discussions about Tim Johnson's Ride On Washington. Y'all have been awesome at supporting me as I prepare for TJROW and with my fund raising. Now is the time to talk about some of the details of actually turning some pedals.

Day 5 of TJROW (Baltimore to DC on March 20th) is intended to be much more inclusive than the other parts of the ride. The distance is about 50 miles. It will be ridden at a little more inclusive pace. There are some really pretty sections of the ride. The last 15 miles (from College Park, Maryland to the US Capitol) in particular will be more inclusive.. something that a fit, casual cyclist could join in on. I've even got a friend who will help lead a more casual group of cyclists for the last leg.

Details for Day 5:

The details for Day 5 actually start on Day 4. The TJROW reception in Baltimore will be held at Twenty20 Cycling Co. at 725 W. 36th Street, Baltimore, MD 21211 from 7-8:30pm... maybe a little longer. http://www.twenty20cycling.com/ These events are entertaining, fun and a great way to support the ride. This local shop in particular is a very cool place to have an event. Come up the night before, come to the event, then ride back to DC with us in the morning.

Our hotel in Baltimore is the Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor, 131 East Redwood Street. We'll be meeting there at 8:30am on Tuesday morning. We're going to be wheels rolling at 9am. If you're going to ride with us, please be ready to roll at 0900. Some of us that have ridden from Boston may be moving a little slowly, but we really need to try to keep to schedule for the last day if we can.

Here is the proposed route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966811 It may change in the next week or so. It will not be too far off from this.

How can I get to Baltimore? That's a good question. There are many ways. I've heard a few different options so far.

* I've got a few friends who are riding up. A few are riding early with the intent to make it for the start. At least one is thinking of heading backward on the route until they meet up with us, then turn around and ride back.
* Some folks are just riding to College Park and meeting us there.
* Some folks have family or spouses that are driving them up to Baltimore.
* I've even heard that some folks are renting a car to head up. Day rental with return near the hotel nearby would be quite reasonable... especially if split between 2, 3 or more people. 2 people and bikes can fit in a small car pretty easily.
* It might be possible to take the train up, though I think the only Amtrak train that allows baggage (the bike) is the 10pm train. That gets you into Baltimore and your hotel pretty late.

If you need a ride to Baltimore, or have room to give someone a ride to Baltimore, please let me know via instant message. I will try and get people connected so that everyone can make it up to join in the ride.

Why is this ride cool?

1. The organization is awesome. Bikes Belong is one of the driving forces in making cycling better in America. Check them out.
2. You get to ride with some really cool cycling folks like 6-time National Champion cyclist Tim Johnson, 1992 World Champion Jan Bolland Tanner, MTB Hall of Fame Member Pete Webber and Advocacy guru and all-around amazing guy Richard Fries. Trust me, riding next to Richard for a little while is a lot of fun. He's an amazing guy.

3. The reception at Twenty20 Cycling Co. Monday night will be enjoyable and informative. They put on a great event in a really cool shop last night.

4. This will be really, really fun.

Last but definitely not least: GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!!!!! (You knew that was coming, right?)

Here is my fund raising link: https://www.pledgereg.com/27074

For those who already donated, THANK YOU!!!! $25 donations start entering you for the raffle for prizes. For every $50 you donate, you get an entry in the raffle to win a custom Firefly frameset. Trust me, you want this bike. You really want this bike. http://fireflybicycles.com/ Mountain, road, cross or whatever... built in Titanium or Stainless steel. Trust me... you want this bike. I do too. :D

Thanks for reading! Thanks for supporting this ride. If you have friends who are cyclists, please forward this to them. We'd love to have them join in the ride.

Best wishes,

Pete

vvill
02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Anyone interested in a group ride to College Park (or further, perhaps) from DC or Rosslyn area? I don't know the route so I don't want to solo it.

Otherwise I'll just take metro.

Dirt
02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I'll post up a good route to College Park tomorrow. It isn't difficult.

vvill
02-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks, Pete. I had a look at one of the Proteus rides that had a route from DC to College Park, but I get lost easily in new areas especially when there's lots of turns...

Dirt
02-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Well you've got one of them fancy-pants Garmin bike computers, right? :D I am picking up a new one tomorrow. My old one is about to die and I'll need one for this ride.

If you haven't used the nav features before, they're really pretty dang good.

eminva
02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Vvill, I might be interested. Would be coming through Roslyn and DC. I could navigate through DC well enough. I will study the map very carefully and possibly a Greenbelt video a couple of times and I could attempt the trail portions of the route. I don't have any fancy navigational devices, unless a smartphone counts.

Liz

vvill
02-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Well you've got one of them fancy-pants Garmin bike computers, right? :D I am picking up a new one tomorrow. My old one is about to die and I'll need one for this ride.

If you haven't used the nav features before, they're really pretty dang good.

Haha well yes I finally caved, spent the $ and got a Garmin 500 and took it on my first ride today. I don't think it has nav features though, that's the 800 right? I think Strava is going to be a lot more fun now I won't be relying on a car GPS for my ride logs.

Vvill, I might be interested. Would be coming through Roslyn and DC. I could navigate through DC well enough. I will study the map very carefully and possibly a Greenbelt video a couple of times and I could attempt the trail portions of the route. I don't have any fancy navigational devices, unless a smartphone counts.

Liz

Cool, let me know. A smartphone counts! My cellphone is an old school flip phone. I'm happy to ride whatever pace suits. If we're just going to College Park then I would probably leave from work sometime in the late morning, I'm near 19th + K St NW.

Dirt
02-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Haha well yes I finally caved, spent the $ and got a Garmin 500 and took it on my first ride today. I don't think it has nav features though, that's the 800 right? I think Strava is going to be a lot more fun now I won't be relying on a car GPS for my ride logs.

Strava is definitely a lot of fun. Heaven for me, in fact. Finally a GPS-enabled Social Network. ;)

The 500 doesn't do turn by turn Nav like the 705 or 800 do, but it does allow you to enter a course and follow it. Basically it puts a purple line on the map for you to follow. It is pretty good. It is possible to set up the course so that it gives you indicators on when and what the next turn is too. Most of the people I ride with use that instead of the turn by turn nav.

I haven't figured out if I'm getting the 500 or 800 yet. A lot depends on finances and what else I have to get for TJROW. I'll know more tonight.

Either way I'll try and post something up about how to nav with the 500 and 800.

Did you get the 500 with the Garmin Maps? I've been using the open street maps and have been very happy with them.

Have a good day. I'll catch up with you soon.

Tim Kelley
02-29-2012, 07:24 AM
I think Strava is going to be a lot more fun now I won't be relying on a car GPS for my ride logs.

One of my favorite past times this winter has been KOM Hunting in Arlington! Isn't that right, americancyclo?

americancyclo
02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
One of my favorite past times this winter has been KOM Hunting in Arlington! Isn't that right, americancyclo?

Sometimes I think I only use Strava to make Tim Kelley ride a bit harder. :p

jrenaut
02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm interested in riding up to College Park. Coming from DC.

vvill
02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Strava is definitely a lot of fun. Heaven for me, in fact. Finally a GPS-enabled Social Network. ;)

The 500 doesn't do turn by turn Nav like the 705 or 800 do, but it does allow you to enter a course and follow it. Basically it puts a purple line on the map for you to follow. It is pretty good. It is possible to set up the course so that it gives you indicators on when and what the next turn is too. Most of the people I ride with use that instead of the turn by turn nav.

Either way I'll try and post something up about how to nav with the 500 and 800.

Did you get the 500 with the Garmin Maps? I've been using the open street maps and have been very happy with them.

Have a good day. I'll catch up with you soon.

The segment stuff on strava is a really good idea, and it's definitely better social networking since you don't have to look at updates about people complaining about their day, politics, etc. - just rides.

Thanks for those tips! I found this which shows how to use the basic map thingy, as you described.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEM26w0bgg

I'll have a play around with it tomorrow. I'm slacking today. :D (Oh, I don't think I got any maps with the 500 - I thought only the 800 could use maps?)

Yeah I had a look at your KOM Sniping ride, impressive. I don't think I'll be trying for any KOMs but it is fun to see the average times on major segments in the area.

I'm interested in riding up to College Park. Coming from DC.

Great. Looks like we may have a bona fide group then.

americancyclo
02-29-2012, 10:05 AM
(Oh, I don't think I got any maps with the 500 - I thought only the 800 could use maps?)

I think only the 705 and 800 will let you load mapset. that was my motivation to get the 705 (on clearance).

looks like the 500 doesn't have an SD card slot, so that might get in the way.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=36728

but you can definitely load 'routes' or 'courses' to a 500 like that guy did in the video.

vvill
02-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah it says

Maps & Memory:
Basemap: no
Ability to add maps: no
Accepts data cards: no
Lap history: 1,000 laps (dependent on memory usage)
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 0
Routes: 0

I'm guessing Dirt will be getting the 800!

Edit: Apparently ridewithgps just added Segments today

consularrider
03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Looks like I'll have to pass on the ride, expect to be out of the country. :(

Dirt
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Update from my friend Kate @ Bikes Belong
+++++++++++++++++

Hi all,

As you may already know, Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington is concluding with a final, public ride on the afternoon of March 20. We're inviting locals and visitors in town for the National Bike Summit to join us for the final few miles of our ride, where we pass more than five CaBi stations and ride on two of DC's most innovative bicycle facilities (the 15th Street Bikeway and Pennsylvania Ave). Attached is a map of our route with some information on the finale. Our itinerary is as follows:

10:30 AM - Leave Hampton Inn & Suites Inner Harbor in Baltimore, MD
1PM - Arrive at Proteus Bicycles in College Park, MD (15 miles from finish)
1:30 - Leave Proteus Bicycles.
2:15 - Arrive at CaBi station at 12th and Newton St
3PM - Arrive at finish location at 3rd St SW between Madison and Jefferson Drives, just west of the Capitol Reflecting pool.
3:30 - Finish ceremony concludes

Interested riders can register for the final leg on BikeReg.com: https://www.bikereg.com/Net/14530

If you're in DC, we need your help getting the word out with this flyer. You can also send people to our website, rideonwashington.org, for more information. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,
Kate

Dirt
03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I'll post up the flyer tomorrow when I get to the office.

Dirt
03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Bikes Belong put it on their web site for me!

http://rideonwashington.org/finale-in-dc/

Tim Kelley
03-07-2012, 07:41 AM
The later start time makes it much easier to ride up from Arlington in the morning!

Dirt
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
The later start time makes it much easier to ride up from Arlington in the morning!
Yup. I'll try and get the lowdown on people who are riding to Baltimore for the start and post it up if there are folks here that want to do the whole thing.

jrenaut
03-07-2012, 08:22 AM
People meeting up at Proteus don't need to register for the last leg, do we?

Also, who is meeting up at Proteus, and where are you coming from? Should we start another thread to plan meetups along the way?

Dirt
03-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Registering helps with headcount, but I don't think it is mandatory. If it feels good, do it.

Keep it all in this thread. No need to make a new one.

jrenaut
03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Ok.

So, heading to Proteus. Directions from DC are here (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1882-Proteus-March-casual-group-rides-to-DC). I plan to leave from Columbia Heights Metro in NW DC and head over to the R St entrance to the MBT, then follow the directions. I'm taking the day off work, so my timing is pretty flexible, except that I have an irrational aversion to being late.

vvill
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Ok.

So, heading to Proteus. Directions from DC are here (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1882-Proteus-March-casual-group-rides-to-DC). I plan to leave from Columbia Heights Metro in NW DC and head over to the R St entrance to the MBT, then follow the directions. I'm taking the day off work, so my timing is pretty flexible, except that I have an irrational aversion to being late.

I can meet you before you get to the MBT - somewhere you're passing through - maybe around 11th + U or 9th + U? I'll be coming from 19th + K NW. I'll probably just take K going east then go north up 16th, and then a right on T or U St.

What time works for you? I've never ridden to College Park, so maybe 11:30am or 11:45? Gives us 90 / 75 mins to get to Proteus.

Liz / eminva, do you want to meet us in DC somewhere?

jrenaut
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Have you ridden up 16th? If so I won't try to dissuade you, but that would be almost my last choice in that area. 15th, 14th, and 11th I think are all preferable to 16th. I don't even drive on 16th if I can help it.

Anyway, how about 9th and T between 1130 and 1145, unless someone else wants to tweak that a bit?

eminva
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
vvill, we are practically on the same block -- I'm at 18th & L. I used to commute up through Columbia Heights so I can get us to 9th and T.

I am also flexible on time -- I'm planning to take the day off as well. Shall we meet at 19th & L between 11:15 and 11:30?

Liz

DaveK
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
If I don't ride up with Tim & Co. I will definitely join this group.

vvill
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
How far is the Tim & Co group going? All the way to Baltimore?

Have you ridden up 16th? If so I won't try to dissuade you, but that would be almost my last choice in that area. 15th, 14th, and 11th I think are all preferable to 16th. I don't even drive on 16th if I can help it.

Anyway, how about 9th and T between 1130 and 1145, unless someone else wants to tweak that a bit?

I have but only because it was the first easy left turn off L St going east, and it didn't seem that bad so every time I ride that way I just stick to the way I know. I guess the tunnel could be a bit sketchy (I go under the Washington Circle tunnel on the way home sometimes as well).

Anyway, yeah let's say 11:30am 9th and T.

vvill, we are practically on the same block -- I'm at 18th & L. I used to commute up through Columbia Heights so I can get us to 9th and T.

I am also flexible on time -- I'm planning to take the day off as well. Shall we meet at 19th & L between 11:15 and 11:30?

Liz

Cool, then let's say 19 & L at 11:15. You lead :)

-Will

Tim Kelley
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
How far is the Tim & Co group going? All the way to Baltimore?l

The plan is to leave at 7:15 from Arlington and get as far on the route as we can. With the start time being pushed back an extra two hours to 10:30, I'm thinking there might be a chance we make it all the way there!

eminva
03-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Registering helps with headcount, but I don't think it is mandatory. If it feels good, do it.

Okay, so I just registered to help them with their head count, and they set up a fundraising page (https://www.pledgereg.com/28442) for me. Now I have the lofty goal of raising $2500! They are crafty.

Liz

Dirt
03-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Okay, so I just registered to help them with their head count, and they set up a fundraising page (https://www.pledgereg.com/28442) for me. Now I have the lofty goal of raising $2500! They are crafty.

Liz

Hahaha.. You can edit the page and make the goal more reasonable. Set it for $50 and I'll make sure you reach that goal. :D

dbb
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I think I'll take part of the day off and join the ride from Proteus. Would love to ride out with a group from DC.

I will be starting in SW.

Dana

jrenaut
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I think I'll take part of the day off and join the ride from Proteus. Would love to ride out with a group from DC.

I will be starting in SW.

Dana
Where do you want to meet up? Is 19th & L between 11:15 and 11:30 too far out of your way?

Greenbelt
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Just in general, there's a coffeeshop (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=washington+dc&hl=en&ll=38.897339,-77.00352&spn=0.000002,0.001738&hnear=Washington,+District+of+Columbia&gl=us&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.89725,-77.003519&panoid=TsXNyD51IYTE3WV5TCfuTw&cbp=12,108.54,,0,0)at 2nd and F streets NE with outdoor tables and a bike rack that's a good meetup place for northbound riders heading for the Met Branch trail.

eminva
03-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Thank you very much to my anonymous benefactor! However, I'm not changing my goal below $2500 just in case someone else with a really fat wallet comes along. :)

By the way, Pete is now less than $250 from his goal (https://www.pledgereg.com/27074) -- if you haven't donated yet, help him get over the top!

Liz

Dirt
03-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you very much to my anonymous benefactor! However, I'm not changing my goal below $2500 just in case someone else with a really fat wallet comes along. :)

By the way, Pete is now less than $250 from his goal (https://www.pledgereg.com/27074) -- if you haven't donated yet, help him get over the top!

Liz

Those anonymous donors pop up just when you need them. Thanks!!!

dbb
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Where do you want to meet up? Is 19th & L between 11:15 and 11:30 too far out of your way?

Let me take a look at the ride with GPS map and cue sheet Dirt created. The coffee shop recommended by Greenbelt might be a good location. Cookies to go!

Dirt
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Just in general, there's a coffeeshop (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=washington+dc&hl=en&ll=38.897339,-77.00352&spn=0.000002,0.001738&hnear=Washington,+District+of+Columbia&gl=us&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.89725,-77.003519&panoid=TsXNyD51IYTE3WV5TCfuTw&cbp=12,108.54,,0,0)at 2nd and F streets NE with outdoor tables and a bike rack that's a good meetup place for northbound riders heading for the Met Branch trail.
I think I know that place:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6800499316_95f551b50d_b.jpg

jrenaut
03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Let me take a look at the ride with GPS map and cue sheet Dirt created. The coffee shop recommended by Greenbelt might be a good location. Cookies to go!
Only problem with that coffee shop is that I don't think our route is going that far southeast.

Arlingtonrider
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM
If anyone wants to meet at the aforementioned coffee shop (Ebenezers - 2nd and F NE) to make the shorter trip up the Metropolitan Branch Trail to 12th and Newton Street to meet up with the group there (or further north if we like) please let me know. I was thinking of leaving Ebenezers around 1:30 or 1:45 p.m. and would enjoy having some company. It might be a good alternative for those who can't take off from work earlier.

p.s. Ebenezer's, a popular place for egg sandwiches and other goodies, is right next to Union Station and an access point to the MBT. In the photo Pete posted, above, I'm the egg in the sandwich. Ebenezers is directly behind us.

Update: This plan has been abandoned in favor of riding from down from Proteus.

Greenbelt
03-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Subject to pending approval by Bikes Belong, I drafted a press release to send to local papers in the College Park area. Anyone have anything to add/correct? Suggestions welcome. -jeff

Tim Johnson Ride on Washington – Finale in DC!
http://rideonwashington.org/finale-in-dc/

Tim Johnson Ride on Washington Announces Pitstop at Proteus Bicycles in College Park
Local Riders Invited to Join Advocacy Ride to Washington

Proteus Bicycles Contact:
Jill DiMauro
301-441-2928

Bikes Belong Contact:
Nikki D’Addario, CGPR
781-639-4924, Ext. 118

College Park, Maryland (March 10, 2012) – On Tuesday, March 20th, U.S. cyclocross legend Tim Johnson will lead his Ride on Washington (http://rideonwashington.org) through College Park, MD on its way from Boston to the National Bike Summit in Washington DC (http://www.bikeleague.org/conferences/summit12).

Local riders are invited to join the group for a pitstop at Proteus Bicycles in College Park, followed by a group ride to Washington DC. The shop will host a reception for local riders starting at 12pm. The long-distance riders are expected to arrive at about 1pm, and we will set off for DC as a group at 1:30pm.

The ride to DC will highlight local bike trails, including the Anacostia Tributary trails in Maryland, the Metropolitan Branch trail in DC, the 15th Street Bikeway, and the Pennsylvania Ave. median bike lanes. We will pass by the White House and arrive at the U.S. Capitol grounds at approximately 3pm. There will be reception near the reflecting pool at 3rd street from 3pm to 3:30pm.

“We’re delighted to help the Ride on Washington raise awareness about bike safety and access issues,” said Jill DiMauro, owner of Proteus Bicycles. “I hope lots of local riders join us for the final leg to DC. It's going to be a really great ride. Everyone is welcome – the more the merrier.”

The Finale to DC ride will take a moderate pace and there will be experienced riders to help guide first timers in the group. The course is mostly on paved trails, quiet residential streets, and bike lanes. Riders are welcome to join the ride along the way. Metro stops are alongside the route in several locations and Capital Bikeshare stands are can be found near the Brookland/CUA Metro station, along R Street NW, and along 15th Street NW. (Note, full-size bikes are not allowed on Metro trains during rush hour, 3:30pm to 7pm on weekdays.)

For riders heading back to College Park, the group from Proteus will return at about 3:30pm or 4pm and arrive at the shop around 5pm. The total round-trip ride distance from College Park is about 30 miles.

The full itinerary for the day is as follows:

10:30 AM - Leave Hampton Inn & Suites Inner Harbor in Baltimore, MD
1PM - Arrive at Proteus Bicycles in College Park, MD (15 miles from finish)
1:30 - Leave Proteus Bicycles.
2:15 - Arrive at CaBi station at 12th and Newton St
2:30 - Florida and R streets, NW
2:40 - 15th and P streets, NW
2:45 - White House (Lafayette Park)
2:55 - 14th and D streets NW (Penn. Ave median cycletrack)
3PM - Arrive at finish location at 3rd St SW between Madison and Jefferson Drives, just west of the Capitol Reflecting pool.
3:30PM - Finish ceremony concludes

3:30 or 4PM - College Park group heads back to Proteus bike shop
5PM-5:30PM - Arrive at Proteus

The approximate route map for the ride from Baltimore is available at: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966811
Attached photo (jpg): The Ride on Washington's founder, Tim Johnson. Photo by Todd Prekaksi. (via http://rideonwashington.org)
Attached photo (jpg): Proteus shop view. Photo by Pete Beers (via http://www.proteusbicycles.com)
Attached flyer (pdf): Tim Johnson Ride on Washington -- Finale in DC (via http://rideonwashington.org/finale-in-dc/)

Attached (and below): Bikes Belong/Tim Johnson Ride on Washington press release

Press covering the ride may borrow bikes at Proteus for the day (subject to availability).

About Proteus Bicycles
A College Park landmark, Proteus Bicycles has been owned by Jill DiMauro since 2003. Her message is simple: “We are a bike shop, but we try to be more than that. The most important thing to us is that you get on a bike and ride to your heart’s content. We want to make sure you get on the best bike for you. Thursday nights we’re open late for potluck. We have comfortable couches and a charming staff. Most of all, we have really cool customers. Come in and meet them: recreational cyclists, roadies, commuters, mountain bikers, cyclocross racers, fixed-gear fans and everyone in between.”
Proteus Bicycles is located at 9217 Baltimore Blvd. College Park, MD 20740
Nearest Metro stops: Greenbelt (via the pedestrian tunnel to the College Park side); College Park (via the College Park trolley trail or the Paint Branch trail).

Greenbelt
03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
PS. Dirt, please try to persuade Allen Lim and Biju Thomas to stop at College Park. I want to get my cookbook signed!

Dirt
03-09-2012, 08:22 PM
PS. Dirt, please try to persuade Allen Lim and Biju Thomas to stop at College Park. I want to get my cookbook signed!
Sir, yes sir. The plan as I understand it is for all of us to stop in College Park. I will pass your request on to them.

Rock on, sir!

dbb
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Only problem with that coffee shop is that I don't think our route is going that far southeast.

I was looking at the Dirt's map for the outbound run and it seems to essentially start at the coffee shop

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/784592

I've not ridden to Proteus before so my inclination is to follow the path of others. If you've done this before and have a different route, I will follow you.

jrenaut
03-09-2012, 09:05 PM
I haven't ridden it before, but there are at least 3 of us meeting up to do it, so I think we can figure it out. My phone has GPS.

Greenbelt
03-10-2012, 12:05 PM
By popular (well, one) request, I'm reposting my videos to the bike shop, one from DC, and one from Greenbelt Metro. Note however, that this DC video takes a scenic route around the U of MD campus for the last several miles -- it's a little different from the route mapped by Dirt above, which takes the College Park Trolley Trail for the last bit (a more direct route). -Jeff

http://vimeo.com/35094322

http://vimeo.com/21279584

Greenbelt
03-11-2012, 08:41 AM
dbb -- I took your request as an excuse to go for a ride with my camera yesterday. Here's at least the last section showing how to get from the NE branch trail to the bike shop. -Jeff

http://vimeo.com/38296381

Dirt
03-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Ask and ye shall receive. :D I'm glad you didn't ask me to pay off your mortgage. :D

I just found out that Allen Lim and Biju Thomas will be stopping by Proteus in conjunction with the ride to promo and sign their cookbooks! Greenbelt can attest to how great they are. I will be able to attest to how awesome they are because I will have been eating stuff they'd prepared for us for 5 days.

Should a great addition to the afternoon's festivities.

Pete

skreaminquadz
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for posting the itinerary GB! I plan on leaving Arlington around noon and be up at Proteus by 1:15 or so, just in time for the ride back to DC. Looking forward to it!

Dirt
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
For those contemplating the whole day from Baltimore to DC, the final route was posted over the weekend on the TJROW web site: http://rideonwashington.org/

I'm going to be making up Garmin files for it later today so that those with NAV capabilities can do so easily.

Rock on!

Pete

Dirt
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I just talked to Jason (J-Wa) at FreshBikes in Arlington. He's got a group of people who are riding to Baltimore to meet us and ride back.

FreshBikes is located in Ballston at: 3924 Wilson Boulevard Arlington, VA 22203 -- (703) 248-9600

They will be wheels rolling at 7:30am.

They have room for people to park in their lot, but you need to RSVP with him so the tow trucks don't run away with your car.

The group should be reasonably paced for generally fit riders. Just keep in mind that it will be a 100+ mile day. The group is comprised of quite fit riders, but some haven't been on the bike much yet this year.

Let me know if you have questions.

Pete

Dirt
03-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Okay. There's a TON of info here. Can we get a quick update on where people are riding from and when?

Those riding from DC to Baltimore for the whole ride are meeting at FreshBikes at 0730.

Where and when are people meeting to ride to College Park? Can we have one or two central meeting places? I can set something up if it helps. I just want to be able to publish 1 or 2 locations so that others can easily join in.

Thanks!

Pete

jrenaut
03-13-2012, 10:50 AM
We have two meetup spots so far:
19th & L NW between 11:15 and 11:30
9th and T NW between 1130 and 1145

Then the plan is to make our way over to the MBT, so we can pick up others along the way if people want.

Dirt
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Perfect, sir! Thank you!!!

eminva
03-13-2012, 10:56 AM

Then the plan is to make our way over to the MBT, so we can pick up others along the way if people want.

Right, vvill and I are in this convoy, too.

jrenaut suggested our group would join the MBT at the R Street entrance; we could meet others there if they are coming from the Union Station area.

Liz

eminva
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
P.S. Pete, I cannot believe you are handling all these logistics when you are probably in the final preparations for going to Boston, no? Best wishes to you on your long days of riding!

Dirt
03-13-2012, 11:11 AM
P.S. Pete, I cannot believe you are handling all these logistics when you are probably in the final preparations for going to Boston, no? Best wishes to you on your long days of riding!

Tons of people have helped me and done a LOT of work on this. Greenbelt and Jill from Proteus have been amazing. Jason @ Freshbikes for sure has been a big help. Tim@BikeArlington and it has been amazing at getting the word out.

It will be a race to see if I've got everything packed before my ride picks me up at 0715 tomorrow morning. I think beer will help. :D

Greenbelt
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
There's a notice up now on College Park Patch: http://collegepark.patch.com/events/tim-johnson-ride-on-washington-to-stop-at-proteus-bicycles

And a nice article in Velo News: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/news/tim-johnson-to-ride-on-washington-for-cycling-awareness_209172

I'll post more links as I see them. I sent notices to the U of MD Diamondback and the CUA student newspaper, but don't know if they'll print them.

Arlingtonrider
03-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm planning to be at the GREENBELT metro station around 11:45-noon. I'd be glad to lead a group from that metro station to Proteus at noon. (Very easy 5-10 minute trip.) Meet just outside tunnel going toward College Park (going toward trail to Lackawanna Ave.)

We're all thinking good wishes for you, Pete!

ronwalf
03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
I somehow convinced myself the ride was yesterday. I caught my mistake in time, but decided to go on a 'practice' ride to the zoo, since I have childcare duties on Tuesday, anyway:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/157710647

Some riding observations:

Gallatin St NW is one way with "two way bike traffic". It's nothing other than sign-endorsed salmoning, as there is nothing in the way of facilities for it (paint, light triggers, etc). I tried this once before, and drivers never ever look the 'wrong way' before turning.
The zoo tunnel sidewalk is terrible (well known). I didn't even feel safe walking my bike on it. I backed up and took the road. Only had one driver honk, and I even got to say 'hi, how're you doing?' once I got back on the trails and passed him in traffic. Five minutes later, he passes me with his retort, "Yeah, that's where you belong!" Seriously, driver education is the pits around here.
The entire area around the Memorial bridge is terrible to navigate. Everywhere you look, the trails are crossing high speed turn ramps, or end abruptly at a big highway.

Greenbelt
03-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Amazing weather forecast for March. Very little rain expected for Dirt's 5-day trek (http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i12.gif). Temps in the 60s to near 80 (http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/DAY6_MAX_filled.gif)by the time the ride gets to DC. Have a great ride!

Dirt
03-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks. I've got rain gear and sunscreen. Glad I remember to bring my legs and lungs too. Thanks for the support y'all. It means a lot to me!!!

Pete

eminva
03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
And you will be able to follow Dirt's, any everyone else's, progress here (http://app.strava.com/clubs/the-ride-on-washington-2012).

Liz

SpokeGrenadeSR
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
just got a massive dose of publicity in boston, Hubway just posted this on facebook:

FREE usage fees ALL DAY tomorrow for Hubway members who show up to City Hall Plaza on a Hubway bike and join Hubway's Staff, in Tim Johnson's: Ride On Washington. We'll be riding with the group as they head out of Boston with the eventual finish in Washington DC (where Capital Bike Share riders will greet them and take them to the finish line). Scheduled to leave at 8:30AM we'll only ride along for 15-30 mins and then go off to start our day here in Boston. Please wear your Hubway Tshirt or something GREEN (first 10 will get Green Hubway T's). You'll need to find me and record your bike #, key fob #, name, and we'll need a hair sample... kidding, only a finger print, well, we'll figure it out. Check out the link for details and I hope you can join us in the morning for this special event. Please SHARE with other members. Thanks! http://rideonwashington.org/route-and-schedule/

Greenbelt
03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
All are welcome to print and post, or modify for specific needs. Just make sure the photo credit for the TJ pic stays in (that's a pro photo that's cleared to be used for non-commercial purposes but must be credited). -Jeff

elcee
03-16-2012, 08:37 AM

I also plan to start at 19th and L - looks like we've got us a convoy. :)

Greenbelt
03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Via www.thewashcycle.com, the Post has a nice feature (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-buzz/post/cyclists-planning-520-mile-ride-from-boston-to-dc-ahead-of-national-bike-summit/2012/03/14/gIQAeJEfES_blog.html)on the ride.

Dirt
03-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Hey Kids. Sorry that I've been quiet on the road. The first two days were definitely monsters!

Boston to Hartford was done in temps in the upper 30's and lower 40's with intermittent rain for most of the day. Dang miserable way to spend 114 miles on a bike. It was definitely fun though! One of the most challenging days I've had on a bicycle.

Strava Link: http://app.strava.com/rides/5297416

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/sets/72157629236343954/

Yesterday was supposed to be much harder.... much more hilly and a bit more mileage. The weather made it all wonderful. 50's and 60's all day with lovely sunshine in the afternoon. Ended up riding 135 miles from Hartford into NYC. Highlight of the ride? Riding dirt trails and MUTS entering NYC with 40 new cycling friends. :D Riding into Time Square at night on Saint Patrick's day was surreal.... absolutely surreal. Some of the photos turned out pretty well.

Strava Link:http://app.strava.com/rides/5345293

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/sets/72157629608144253/

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6991781583_e22ea90998_b.jpg

The advocacy events have been fantastic. Cannondale did a great meet in Connecticut and Bicycling Magazine did a great thing in NYC at Sid's Bikes last night.

I'll catch up with you more when we hit Philly tonight. I should have a bit more time to write.

Thanks for the support. I can't wait to ride with y'all in Baltimore and College Park!!!!

Pete

skreaminquadz
03-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Sounds and looks awesome Pete - congrats! Looking forward to hearing about it on Tuesday.

eminva
03-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Wow -- amazing. Keep up the good work! See you on Tuesday.

Liz

dbb
03-18-2012, 08:01 AM
We will do our best to provide a great escort into DC for you and the other riders.

See you at Proteus!

Dana

Arlingtonrider
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Great to hear from you, Pete! It looks like you'll have gorgeous weather for the final leg and ride into DC!

I'm inviting anyone interested (lurkers included) who would like to ride metro to get to Proteus to meet me at the Greenbelt metro station (just outside the tunnel toward College Park/Lackawanna Street) for a short and easy bike ride to the shop. We'll leave the station promptly at noon.

Bikes are allowed on metro after 10 a.m. (and until 4 p.m. or after 7 p.m. for anyone planning to metro home from DC).

See you Tuesday!

Kathy

Greenbelt
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
In response to a question I got from Tim, I think there'll be plenty of room for bikes inside at the bike shop for those joining TJROW in College Park or coming down with the group from Bmore. I talked to Jill yesterday, and she's going to set up a tent in the parking lot and we can watch bikes there too if it fills up inside. So no need to bring a lock necessarily I don't think, at least for this stop. (Of course, it's never a bad idea to carry a lock if you don't mind the extra weight...) -Jeff

eminva
03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Just a reminder for people meeting up in DC to ride to Proteus together:

The rendenvous spots are as follows:

9th and T NW between 11:30 and 11:45
The R Street Entrance to the MBT (5-10 minutes later, approx. - ?)

I think myself, vvill and elcee will meet at 19th and L. We will ride to 9th and T to meet jrenaut. Then to the trail (to meet dbb?). Anyone else we should be on the lookout for? If you pm me, we can exchange cell phone numbers if you think that will help.

In a salute to Dirt, I will be wearing all pink. The bike is a non-coordinating combo of white/red (road bike).

Liz

Arlingtonrider
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Awesome idea Liz! I'll plan to pink out to the extent possible too. See y'all there!

DaveK
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I'll definitely be at Proteus for the rendezvous one way or the other, but don't expect me at the Union Station meetup.

dbb
03-19-2012, 12:37 PM
I will be meeting the group at 9th and T with a coworker I invited along.

Alas, no pink is in my wardrobe.

jrenaut
03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I need a second water bottle for the long day - I wonder if Target has them in pink?

elcee
03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm inviting anyone interested (lurkers included) who would like to ride metro to get to Proteus to meet me at the Greenbelt metro station (just outside the tunnel toward College Park/Lackawanna Street) for a short and easy bike ride to the shop. We'll leave the station promptly at noon.

Bikes are allowed on metro after 10 a.m. (and until 4 p.m. or after 7 p.m. for anyone planning to metro home from DC).

Metro :( has scheduled track work all this week (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=5185).

Green Line

Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day, trains will single track between College Park and Greenbelt for rail, fastener, tie and insulator renewal. Customers should allow about 10 minutes of additional travel time.

Arlingtonrider
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for that info, elcee. Ten minute metro delays shouldn't make too much of a difference, but I'll wait around a few minutes extra in case anyone didn't find out about that in time.

Update on the TJROW crew - They made it safely to Baltimore, and if the reports I read are correct, have raised over $80,000 to show that Bikes Belong!

Dirt
03-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Y'all are amazing. Thanks so much for all that you're doing. It means a lot to me. Today was a long, long day in the saddle. It was really great though.... It helped knowing that I'd be riding into town with such great people.

I'll write more in the morning. I need a burger and a beer.

Pete

jrenaut
03-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Oh, boy, thunder and lightning! Should make today interesting.

Arlingtonrider
03-20-2012, 07:44 AM
The hourly reports show that it should be beautiful until 4 pm or so, and even then, only a 30 percent chance of isolated thundershowers. The worst is over. Ride on! :)

americancyclo
03-20-2012, 08:01 AM
I'll try to meet up with everyone right after you get off the MBT on the way to the capitol. Hope my kit has dried out by then!

jrenaut
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Awesome riding with everyone today.

eminva
03-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Just a quick response before I head off to evening duties -- it was great to ride with everyone, and I'm sorry I'm not on Twitter to publish my thanks more publicly.

I rode from Vienna to DC this morning, met up with Mark Blacknell, vvill and elcee and later with DaveK, jrenaut and dbb and his colleague. We all rode out to Proteus and I do believe we did not make a single wrong turn! It was exciting when the "through riders" arrived and after a brief visit (which included the through riders inhaling cookies), we took off for DC. It was sort of like a snowball rolling downhill, as we picked up riders here and there and had an estimated 100 riders as we reached the US Capitol. Amazingly, the group mainly hung together on the streets of DC.

There are already some photos on Twitter, but I will post some of mine later tonight if they turned out okay.

I had a great time and it was very exciting! It was nice to meet all the cycling dignitaries and Tim was so nice. Richard was very funny. If you haven't already donated, feel free to donate to me (https://www.PledgeReg.com/28442), or even better, Pete (https://www.pledgereg.com/27074).

Liz

Greenbelt
03-20-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't really get the whole facebook thing, but I think these pictures are public. If not, I'll upload some individually. -Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3379494122367.2157214.1119818483&type=1&l=c1b6136d72

Tim Kelley
03-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Awesome ride today and what made it even better was how many people came out on a Tuesday to show their support. I only rode to Baltimore and back, but had a total blast. I can't imagine how on top of the world Pete is feeling tonight!

Here are my ride routes:

http://app.strava.com/rides/5486629

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/552623

I made it up to Baltimore on my own and found the support cars, but it turned out that group made a wrong turn and was going on a different route. The straight line around mile 55 or so is where we jumped in the car and leap frogged the group so I could catch on.

Thanks again everyone. As Pete would say, "Ya'll Rock!"

Arlingtonrider
03-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Tim,

Love the Strava track. So you rode to Baltimore and back to College Park, did the Ride on Washington, made a loop around Hains Point, rode up to the (Memorial?) Bridge, came down the MVT, made a side trip to Mt. Vernon Ave. and back to FMR, and then headed home via the Walter Reed hill with a KOM time?! You earned your chicken - the whole thing! Great to see you and everyone today! Awesomely fun day.

- Kathy

Greenbelt
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
This is pretty cool -- Shannon from College Park Patch did a live feed today, with lots of pictures, audio: http://collegepark.patch.com/articles/live-patch-rides-along-with-ride-on-washington

Mark Blacknell
03-20-2012, 07:28 PM
@ArlingtonRider - Yes, I believe the quote from Tim is "At least I got chicken."

@eminva - I'll just endorse your post in place of my own. Really great to see so many people out there, and put some more faces to names.

Very proud of #bikeDC's local turnout and support of this.

dbb
03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Great ride today! The riders on the full ride were amazingly gracious and accepting of those joining the ride in College Park.

Thanks to Greenbelt and the folks at Proteus for such a warm welcome in College Park for those who rode out to meet the group.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/RideonWashington20120320-DCtoProteus11.jpg

Much thanks to Pete for getting us involved in such an important activity through his personal advocacy and engagement. Here is Greenbelt and Dirt at Proteus.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/RideonWashington20120320-ProteustoDC1.jpg

BikeArlington was well represented today and many signed the Bikes Belong pledge.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/RideonWashington20120320-ProteustoDC14.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/RideonWashington20120320-ProteustoDC16.jpg

The real winners today will be the riders in communities across the nation who have better facilities because of the work of organizations like Bikes Belong that was made possible from the funds raised for the ride.

SpokeGrenadeSR
03-20-2012, 08:02 PM
awesome work everyone, truly stellar stuff.

vvill
03-20-2012, 08:20 PM
@eminva - I'll just endorse your post in place of my own. Really great to see so many people out there, and put some more faces to names.

Same message from me.

Great to see and ride with everyone out there. Finally made it out to see a great bike shop in Proteus, and it was quite something being with that many cyclists of that caliber out in front of the Capitol. The extra Hains Pt loop and Four Mile Run run were the icing on the cake.

Thanks of course to Pete and also eminva and MB for leading our convoy out of DC with nary a missed turn, and everyone I was drafting behind on the post-ride ride (http://www.strava.com/runs/5485301).

Arlingtonrider
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Will,

Did your whole group do Hains Point and then climb Walter Reed hill on a post ride-ride?? You guys are all awesome! If I hadn't still been out riding at Hains Point, I would have been tempted to drive to the top of the Walter Reed hill to meet you with a vuvuzela greeting!

- Kathy

Greenbelt
03-20-2012, 09:12 PM
And some video clips:

http://vimeo.com/38890979

DaveK
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Great ride, all. Got to put a few new names to faces. Whoever that was hanging in heroically around Hains on the singlespeed, didn't catch your name, but nice riding with you nonetheless.

Pete - head on up to Boston so we can all do this again sometime soon. ;)

Dirt
03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey folks.

I'm utterly speechless at the level of support that y'all gave us. Proteus and its whole staff and community (because that shop is all about the community) were absolutely amazing. I still can't believe how many of y'all showed up to ride with us. The sense of community that this group showed blew me away. I wasn't the only one that noticed. Every single rider that I talked to on the way back to the hotel commented on how amazing y'all were and how much it meant to them that you came out.

I've been going full blast, day and night at this since Thursday morning, so I am pretty darn ready for a rest. Just know that every thing you did, all the donations you made and the time you took to ride with us today completely made this whole Ride on Washington worth it.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Pete

eminva
03-21-2012, 05:49 AM
I'll add one picture below. Also, I don't have a Garmin, and I can't run Strava that long on my phone without the battery dying, but here is my Cyclemeter (http://maps.google.com/?q=http://share.abvio.com/d93a/e052/4e11/525f/Cyclemeter-Cycle-20120320-0952.kml) data. I didn't do any Hains Point loops, and on my way home, I just looked at that hill on George Mason from the trail and thought, "No Way."

Liz

Arlingtonrider
03-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Great article in the Post Metro section today, page B3, about the ride, and a big photo with Pete and I think Tim leading us. I'll try to get the link here if I have time. (if someone else wants to do that, please feel free.)

I also want to add that the 20 long range cyclists rode all among us and went out of their way to be friendly and make sure everyone was having a good time on the ride into town. Pete, please thank them for making it such a fun day for us!

dbb
03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
I also want to add that the 20 long range cyclists rode all among us and went out of their way to be friendly and make sure everyone was having a good time on the ride into town. Pete, please thank them for making it such a fun day for us!

The long range riders were amazing! As Kathy said, they made us feel welcome in possibly the only peloton we will ever be in. That was reinforced by the in-ride coaching by the experienced cyclists. It is great to see cyclists at every level all working towards greater support for the entire community.

americancyclo
03-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Even though I only rode in with the group from the CaBi at Newton, it was a great afternoon. It was great chatting with Rebecca Rusch and seeing her amazement at arriving at the capitol, complete with a motorcade drive by. Sometimes I take for granted how often I get to see the White House and Capitol. Also great to put some faces with names here on the forum, although I think I still managed to miss a few. Fun lap around Haines Point, and I even met up with a woman on the W&OD who had rode in to DC specifically for the women's forum portion of the Bike Summit. All in all a great day!

http://youtu.be/mtxeG0D58ZY

vvill
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Washington Post article is here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/todays_paper?dt=2012-03-21&bk=B&pg=3
The mention of protesting rising gas prices is odd. I never heard anything about that.

Did your whole group do Hains Point and then climb Walter Reed hill on a post ride-ride?? You guys are all awesome! If I hadn't still been out riding at Hains Point, I would have been tempted to drive to the top of the Walter Reed hill to meet you with a vuvuzela greeting!

Mark did have a vuvuzela actually. Yeah Tim and Mark led us (skreaminquadz on the single speed! and myself) up there after Hains Pt. We all did Hains Pt then we gradually split off after that.

I'll add one picture below.
Liz

Nice composition!

elcee
03-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Aside from Tim Johnson and Allen Lim being genuinely nice guys, I was most impressed with the unicyclist who rode in with us from College Park.

Greenbelt
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Here's a link to the PDF version of the Post story -- they chose a great picture in my opinion!: http://www.washingtonpost.com/rw/WashingtonPost/Content/Epaper/2012-03-21/Bx3.pdf

Dirt
03-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Here's a link to the PDF version of the Post story -- they chose a great picture in my opinion!: http://www.washingtonpost.com/rw/WashingtonPost/Content/Epaper/2012-03-21/Bx3.pdf
The bozo on the left is a little scary. ;)

Dirt
03-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Aside from Tim Johnson and Allen Lim being genuinely nice guys, I was most impressed with the unicyclist who rode in with us from College Park.

That's my buddy Ben. He does century rides on that thing. He's truly talented.

Dirt
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I've had a few questions about the fundraising link in the last day or two. If you'd still like to donate, the link will be open until the end of the month. So many thanks to all of you who donated already. You made it possible for us to do this and be successful.

https://www.pledgereg.com/27074

Pete

Greenbelt
03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Re: The mention of protesting rising gas prices is odd. I never heard anything about that.

Editor: "Get me a story about rising gas prices! And protests about rising gas prices! Gas prices are a hot topic! People are angry about gas prices! We need a story about angry people protesting rising gas prices!"

Intrepid reporter: "I've got a story about biking and better bike lanes, but I also asked about gas prices so I could weave the gas issue into the narrative so it'll get more views when our web site is searched."

Editor: "Hey, nice story!" "Great picture -- put it on page 3 of Metro."

KLizotte
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Editor: "Get me a story about rising gas prices! And protests about rising gas prices! Gas prices are a hot topic! People are angry about gas prices! We need a story about angry people protesting rising gas prices!"

I think the newspaper interpreted the event as a demonstration of what people have been "reduced to" as a result of higher gas prices :rolleyes:

Personally I'm in favor of higher gas prices (fewer cars on the road!). It's underpriced in this country as it is.

bikenurse
03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
I am still glowing from yesterday's ride :) Thank you to everyone who came out to Proteus to enjoy the coolest bike shop in town and Jeff's (Greenbelt's) famous chocolate chip kitchen sink cookies. Re gas prices: I was the one interviewed and quoted by the Post (Why me? Glad I didn't say anything too stupid!). The reporter point blank stated that part of the ride was protesting high gas prices and what did I think about that? I told her I had no idea what she was talking about -- I only fill up my tank on my 2003 corolla about once/month so I don't even know how much gas costs! And I would be fine with higher gas prices if it keeps people from driving huge cars. And she didn't quote me on that... big surprise. All in all a fabulous day with a great group. Can't wait till next year. Now that y'all know where Proteus is, come out and visit us for Thursday night pot luck! -- Laurie

Dirt
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I am still glowing from yesterday's ride :) Thank you to everyone who came out to Proteus to enjoy the coolest bike shop in town and Jeff's (Greenbelt's) famous chocolate chip kitchen sink cookies. Re gas prices: I was the one interviewed and quoted by the Post (Why me? Glad I didn't say anything too stupid!). The reporter point blank stated that part of the ride was protesting high gas prices and what did I think about that? I told her I had no idea what she was talking about -- I only fill up my tank on my 2003 corolla about once/month so I don't even know how much gas costs! And I would be fine with higher gas prices if it keeps people from driving huge cars. And she didn't quote me on that... big surprise. All in all a fabulous day with a great group. Can't wait till next year. Now that y'all know where Proteus is, come out and visit us for Thursday night pot luck! -- Laurie

Y'all ROCKED!!!! My only regret is that I had to run off and take care of and guide folks at the CaBi stations along the way and only got to stay for 5 minutes at Proteus. I really regret missing the cookies too. I could have used one... or two... or 5. Okay, that's two regrets. :D Not bad for a trip as monumental as that one. :D

Thank you again! So great to see you all there.!

Pete

Tim Kelley
03-26-2012, 10:42 AM
A few photos and articles on this:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=10221

http://clarendon.patch.com/articles/national-cycling-advocacy-comes-to-town

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvjantzen/tags/TimJohnson/

Greenbelt
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Anyone have any high-resolution (300kb-1mb file size) photos of the TJROW stopover at Proteus, the finale ride to DC, or the finish? It's for a local newspaper that wants to do a story. Email me? -Jeff

Tim Kelley
03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Anyone have any high-resolution (300kb-1mb file size) photos of the TJROW stopover at Proteus, the finale ride to DC, or the finish? It's for a local newspaper that wants to do a story. Email me? -Jeff

Just emailed you a few. I also posted some pictures on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BikeArlington

Dirt
03-27-2012, 07:42 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/sets/72157629659391741/

bikenurse
03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the photos! Now we wait and see if they get published.
In the meantime, here's a nice op-ed from VeloNews featuring a TJROW picture from our prominent action photographer:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/news/road/opinion-time-is-now-for-racers-to-act-on-advocacy_211139

Greenbelt
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
http://vimeo.com/39418376

Arlingtonrider
03-30-2012, 09:00 PM
The TJROW reached its $100,000 fundraising goal! This gift to ourselves will help show that people care about biking. :) Thank you, Pete, all the riders, and everyone else who contributed in any way.

Greenbelt
04-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Though a bit delayed, our local paper printed my story on the TJROW stopover this week. You have to bring up the PDF and scroll down to page 9 (between the police blotter and the dentist ads): http://www.greenbeltnewsreview.com/issues/GNR20120412.pdf

Hopefully it was mostly accurate (although I have no idea if the photo was credited properly after all that...)

Thanks again! -Jeff