PDA

View Full Version : Heart of Arlington route, change of direction

StopMeansStop
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
For the past 18 months I take about 3-4 circuits per week on the aforementioned route in clockwise direction. I often will change the route a bit to get some food at the Giant on Washington blvd or even Rocklands (yum).

Yesterday I wanted some spices and figured Trader Joes was the place to go so I did a counter clockwise route so I'd be getting the food near the end of the route vs the beginning.

My legs are HUMMING now, reminiscent of not being in the saddle for months. How can just a simple change of direction punish me that much?

chris_s
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't know about the biking part, but next time you need spices you should check out Penzey's (http://g.co/maps/6fp5m). Their spices are so awesome they do a huge mail order and internet business and they are fairly convenient to the W&OD.

KLizotte
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
My legs are HUMMING now, reminiscent of not being in the saddle for months. How can just a simple change of direction punish me that much?

You probably don't realize it but the Custis heading east has a downward slope to it for most of the ride (which makes the hills a lot of fun) so heading west on it requires a lot more effort esp if you start in Rosslyn. That's why most people do the WOD-Custis-MVT-FMR loop going clockwise.

I can't speak to the other parts of the route of which you speak.

StopMeansStop
02-02-2012, 11:06 PM
You probably don't realize it but the Custis heading east has a downward slope to it for most of the ride (which makes the hills a lot of fun) so heading west on it requires a lot more effort esp if you start in Rosslyn. That's why most people do the WOD-Custis-MVT-FMR going clockwise.

I can't speak to the other parts of the route of which you speak.

The route is circle, start and finish in the same place.

DismalScientist
02-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Although the same elevation change, the upslope on the W&OD is much more gentle and consistent than the hill on the Custis. The actual top is near Ballston.

americancyclo
02-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Heart of Arlington Route

Did i miss the memo? What route is this?

EDIT: oh i found it Heart of Arlington (http://www.bikearlington.com/tasks/sites/bike/assets/File/tours/tourC-heart.pdf)

baiskeli
02-03-2012, 09:18 AM
If you want spices, the best route is to continue west on the W&OD, turn left onto Great Falls and then right on Pennsylvania, then right on Broad St. to Penzey's Spices at 513 W. Broad.