PDA

View Full Version : Circle of Cycles - Hains Pt. Jan. 1

Arlingtonrider
12-30-2011, 09:25 PM
One way to build up some early mileage in the new year is to join the circle of cycles at Hains Point on New Year's Day. The event, open to all levels of cyclists, is like a big open house with people coming and going and seeing old friends and making new ones all day. Some parking is available, and bringing snacks or things to share or tell about is encouraged. More info is available at Potomacpedalers.org, in the ride schedule. Is anyone planning to go?

jrenaut
12-30-2011, 10:01 PM
That sounds like fun, but the website is pretty thin on details. Is there some sort of start time?

Arlingtonrider
12-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't know for certain, but I found something from 2009 indicating that it started around 10 a.m. that year. Parking might be an incentive for some early birds. I think it sounds like fun too and plan to ride over for a few loops. It's going to be a gorgeous day - be there or be square! :cool:

jrenaut
12-31-2011, 07:24 AM
Parking can be rough. We play flag football there, and not only is parking limited, but it's also poorly served by public transportation. Lucky for me I can bike there.

The high today is supposed to be near 60, so I don't know if it's a good day to experiment with winter layering, but it should be a lovely day to ride.

Greenbelt
12-31-2011, 12:34 PM
We're thinking about riding down from Prince George's just to check it out. Would go by way of the NE Branch Trail and the MBT, my usual commute route. Anybody wants to ride down with us or meet up along the way maybe PM me and we can decide times/locations?

Arlingtonrider
12-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Jreneaut -
Thanks for the heads up on my incorrect weather info. I edited my post accordingly. What a gorgeous run of days we're having! Hope everyone is getting out to enjoy them, which is what I plan to do right now. :-)

Arlingtonrider
12-31-2011, 04:27 PM
I'll be on a blue Trek 7500 hybrid with a black pannier that has a BikeArlington band on the top, and may be the only one there riding with toe clips and running shoes. (Note to toe clip and running shoe people - please show up and give me some company!) Jrenaut and Greenbelt, it would be great to see you! Any other forum readers - please say hi! I'm sure I'll be riding slower than the roadies, partly to protect my cargo of chocolate brownies until I find old or new friends to share them with. ;-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Kathy

jrenaut
12-31-2011, 04:59 PM
I think I will be there at some point. 1pm-ish, maybe? White Giant road bike with sweet low-profile black plastic fenders. I'll have toe clips and running shoes, too, and might be pulling the kid trailer, which likely means I will not be sprinting with the roadies, either.

consularrider
12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
This will make my fourth year for this traditional New Years Day ride. The first two were with temperatures in the mid-20s to mid-30s, but 2011 was in the mid-50s and tomorrow may hit 60! Much better.

Greenbelt
12-31-2011, 10:21 PM
We're coming down with a couple people from Greenbelt. Probably be there afternoon, but our timing is still murky. We'll have our commuting bikes so won't be racing around! Look for my bright green panniers and yellow helmet with helmet light. And both bikes now have LED frame light strips for added dorkness. -Jeff and Laurie

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I might be a little earlier than you guys (11 to 12:30 or so?) since I have to be back home close to 1 p.m., but will look for you anyway. Have a great ride today!

jrenaut
01-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm probably heading down without the trailer as soon as my younger daughter goes down for a nap. I'll probably be wearing an olive green backpack (because it feels weird if I bike without it).

jrenaut
01-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Arlingtonrider, sorry I missed you. Kid naptime issues prevented me from arriving as early as I'd hoped.

Greenbelt, great to meet you and your group in person. Thanks for showing me how to get to the MBT, too.

bikenurse
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Nice to meet JRenaut today! Great day for a ride. Can you believe it's January?? -- Laurie

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2012, 05:45 PM
So sorry I missed you all! I rode loops from noon until 2 pm, then had to head back home because of other obligations. What a beautiful day it was for riding - I wish I could have stuck around a little longer!

Greenbelt
01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Video clips from today's ride. Nice to meet you jrenaut! -Jeff

http://vimeo.com/34447920

Riley Casey
01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Another fun video - wish I had been in town , thanks Jeff.

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Jeff, thanks for making and sharing that video! After seeing it, I think I might have spotted your group (and maybe Jrenaut if he was there too?) just as I was leaving - bummer!

Based on what I saw today, I think this is mainly a morning event, with most riders starting right around 10 a.m. As I rode toward Hains Point just before noon, it looked like I was passing a number of people heading away from the park, although there were still quite a few riders and small groups and two or three large groups riding the circuit around that time. The number of riders gradually tapered down, and when I left at 2 p.m., Potomac Pedalers and other groups were packing up their banners and snack stations. I saw a few friends as I rode and met some new people at the snack stations - very informal but popular stops near the water fountains with nice people and homemade goodies and trail mix. Next year I think I'd like to get there around 10 or 10:30 a.m., but due to some late night revelry, that wasn't going to work for me this year. I really enjoyed the ride, nice weather, seeing so many cyclists of all kinds out enjoying the loop, and getting rid of the zero on my odometer after putting in a fresh battery this morning. So far, I've ridden over 35 miles every day this year! :cool:

dcv
01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Video clips from today's ride. Nice to meet you jrenaut! -Jeff

http://vimeo.com/34447920

who's that guy doing the freewheel trackstands? kudos

Greenbelt
01-02-2012, 10:28 AM
who's that guy doing the freewheel trackstands? kudos

That's Ben from Proteus bikes. He's been known to ride 50 miles to get to a century ride. And then ride back home!

consularrider
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
I got there a little before 9 am, and the gates were closed. Still a few riders going around the one by the golf course entry. I saw arlingtonrider getting started as we were taking our lunch break, but didn't get to say hello. I finished up with 20 laps and a full day's century with my rides to and from Hains Point.

KLizotte
01-03-2012, 03:45 PM
So sorry I missed you all! I rode loops from noon until 2 pm, then had to head back home because of other obligations. What a beautiful day it was for riding - I wish I could have stuck around a little longer!

Wish I could have joined you but I didn't get to bed till 4:00 am the night before so a morning activity was most definitely out of the question.

Happy New Year to everyone!