PDA

View Full Version : Gym-quality weight bench/barbell (because cyclists should cross-train!)

PotomacCyclist
11-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Studies have shown that pro cyclists have lower bone mineral density than the average person! (True.) I don't know about us amateurs, but strength training is always helpful, for muscle balance, bone strength, core strength and muscle retention. As you may know, we tend to start losing muscle mass in middle age and beyond. The recommendation: Include some strength training in your fitness program.

I have an incline/decline weight bench, Body Solid brand. It's made out of heavy-duty steel with very thick padding. A leg curl/leg extension station is included but not barbell holders. I'll add in a standard barbell with quick-release stays and a few weight plates. (I gave most of them away previously.)

You can use the bench for bench presses, one-arm bent rows, flutter kicks, leg curls, leg extensions (although squats and lunges are better exercises), decline and incline presses, overhead press, side leg raises, step-ups and more.

I don't have room in my place to use the bench. I have access to a gym and fitness center. Anyway, if you want to set up a home gym, this would be an easy way to get started.

I'm asking $80 for the entire combo. [List price is around $250 or more.]

P.S. You'll have to pick up the bench, bar and weights with a car. I doubt you'll be able to carry it on a bike. You could always try. Well, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea.

jrenaut
11-10-2011, 05:53 PM
P.S. You'll have to pick up the bench, bar and weights with a car. I doubt you'll be able to carry it on a bike. You could always try. Well, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea.
I don't have room for it, either, but that sounds like a challenge.