PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice--road rage incident....

Terpfan
11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Some of you may have seen me this morning near the cycletrack at 15th & I. The long and short of it is I had the crosswalk and was moving across the intersection northbound at a relatively slow pace. The first car tried turning right from 15th onto I street and of course was stopped per pedestrians (Vermont Avenue entrance to McPherson Square Metro is right there). That car finally made it through. I'm still proceeding (a few cars are going straight from 15th toward H) and a white escalade pulls right in front of me and then abruptly stops per realizing all the pedestrians crossing. I can't go right without going into oncoming traffic so I slam my brakes. I successfully stop just short of the car but per a quick stop I slide off the front of my bike forward and end up stopping myself with my gloved hand against the guy's escalade. I'm happy I didn't hit him and so I stop for a second, remount and continue along the cycletrack north.

About 30 feet later I find myself planted into the ground bike strewn around my legs and this guy is screaming you 'fn ahole, you touched my car'. I'm now dazed and trying to assess what is going on. While part of me wanted to get up and coldclock the guy, I looked to my left saw two DC police cars stopped. I stayed on the ground as this guy kept ranting and as the guy kept screaming, I finally responded get off me, I didn't touch your car. The cops came over and then began the ordeal of filing a report, sort of.

The cops asked us both what happened and then proceeded to check his vehicle for damage and ask me if I'm alright. I explained my knee was a little scraped up per the crazy guy tackling me into the ground, but I'm fine. Low and behold they find no damage on the road rage crazy guy's car and then can see a brief imprint where my hand touched it. So the cops start explaining to me that technically touching his car could be considered a collision and not trying to talk to him to notify him that I touched his car could be considered a hit and run therefore he could be theoretically seen as trying to detain me until the police arrived. They said alternatively it could also be seen as assault. I pointed out that they were parked literally 20 feet away on the other side of 15, the guy didn't call out anything, and he told the cops he tackled me. I explained that the complete stop meant sliding off my bike meaning I did not only come to a complete stop, but I had a good 5-10 seconds the guy could have said something right then and there. I sensed the cops didn't want to fill out any paperwork and so when the first cop started saying he could technically haul both of us to jail (me for alledging hitting and running and him for flat out tackling me) is when I pulled out my phone and started typing in the cops names and badge numbers. I used to work in a legislative capacity and I knew full well that they can't just arrest you because someone claims you hit their car.

Moving along, crazy guy continues to try explaining that I hit his car and evidently above the wheel well. One cop points out that my bike isn't even tall enough to reach that spot. The other cops said there is no discernible damage at all. Meanwhile the one cop chats with me and he's actually friendly. He basically says shit happens, the guy had no business tackling me, it's clear there was no accident and he would've told the guy to apologize to me and then asked me what I wanted to do. Meanwhile the not-so-nice cop comes back and asks if I plan to file assault charges. I said I'm not sure, but I don't have to do it right now, correct? Same cop says he's going to call an ambulance and has a dialogue with his partner. His partner says then we got to file all of this paperwork and he says well he says his knee is scraped and you know where this could lead us too. (No ambulance ever comes). Anyway, this whole process takes up about 40 minutes. The cops end up filing a 1050 report (accident I suspect) citing no damage to his car. They take photos of both of us, take all of our license details down (and crazy guy's insurance), and give me a piece of paper with the filing officer's contact information, phone number, a report number, and the approximate time and location. The cop explains that this will go to the US District Attorney's Office and they may followup with charges or they may just leave it as a report. Evidently I can pickup the actual report in a week or two at their station on V Street.

The good news is that my knee is a little scratches as is my hand, but I didn't notice any major injuries from the tackling. I didn't ride my bike yet again so I don't know if it's damage, but it only looks like it has some scratches from where it hit the cycletrack as the guy tackled me. Now the question is what do I do? Part of me thinks I should file assault charges because in a previous line of work (legislative work with judicial sector) I learned that often people's responses escalate...first you tackle someone, then you run them over, etc. Another part of me thinks chalk up to bad luck running across that road rage dbag. Another part of me thinks it's absolutely ridiculous that the one cop tried coercing me into doing nothing simply to avoid paperwork. So I'm curious about everyone else's advice.

And for what it's worth, I wish I had a printed copy of that 'what to do' report. Granted mine wasn't an accident, a lot of things sounded similar.

Dirt
11-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Glad that you're okay.

I'm not clear on what happened with the way the dude in the escalade was driving, so I can't really comment on that.

Sounds like talking to a lawyer would be a good thing. I'd take some time and write down every freaking detail of what happened. What you have here is a good start. Do that as soon as possible. Memory in an accident situation is always fuzzy.

Then you have to decide what you want to do. Not sure if trying to nail the guy would make things better or worse the next time someone touches his SUV. There's no way to really tell.

Good luck. Again, I'm happy that you're okay.

Pete

jrenaut
11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Glad you're okay, too. I come home that way most days, but at 2pm, so it's less crowded. Still, I see cars do that ALL THE TIME. I've been lucky so far to avoid incidents like yours.

I think I would go after the guy - it's just NOT OKAY to tackle people like that without even trying to clear things up rationally.

dasgeh
11-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Sorry that happened and really happy you're ok.

My initial reaction was "file the report! throw the book at him!" though, Dirt is right - talking to a lawyer is smart. The question seems to be whether you did anything wrong (I doubt it - I don't know that area well, but it sounds like the driver was in the wrong stopping in the cycletrack. I'd guess you were a "pedestrian" because you were in a cycletrack, and couldn't be in a hit and run). You wouldn't want a ticket on top of everything else.

I do hope you'll file a complaint against Mr. Badcop.

MCL1981
11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
He did not tackle you to detain you for evading an accident. He tackled you because he was angry you touched his precious drug-dealer mobile even though it was his fault for not yielding to the cross walk. You did not have an accident to evade either. You caught your balance on his car, which he was operating in violation of the law, because you avoided an accident. Touching one's automobile is not a crime. IMO, he has no civil or statutory leg to stand on. In his rage, this thug violently assaulted you in the middle of the street in broad daylight. He should be in jail now, not later. I think you absolutely NEED to file for actual real assault charges against this piece of shit. And in addition to the assault, add to the affidavit the charge of the illegal/unsafe turn too.

And your assessment of the police officers being lazy and not wanting to do anything is most likely right on the ball. Total bullshit.

Greenbelt
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM

If the cops were worth their doughnuts they'd ticket drivers who bully through crosswalks in the first place. Seriously, all you needed to say was "white escalade" and I think we know exactly the sort of driver you're talking about. Cadillac should just switch the model name from "Escalade" to "Douche Mover" and be done with it.

Short attention span alert -- a horse-mounted cop just went up 6th street. We need more of that! Get the cops out of their damn cruisers and out into the air on bikes, horses, foot so they'll develop a little perspective.

Loving that picture from Kenny's recent thread.

Terpfan
11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I'm leaning toward filing charges after discussing what happened and the DC code with an attorney friend. He said switching positions he would have demanded the charges be filed on the spot and would contemplate civil action against the driver as well (I disagree on the latter).

WillStewart
11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
See the thread on accidents, very closely related. NEVER say "I'm fine" as a problem could arise later after the adrenalin and endorphins wear off. Say "I don't know" until you can get a medical assessment.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1383-Crash!!-You-ve-had-an-accident-with-a-car.-What-do-you-do-now

Sounds like an assault case to me - were the cops witnesses? If not, did you get any witnesses names? It sounds like the Escalade driver admitted his actions to the officers - can you get a copy of the report?

Terpfan
11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
See the thread on accidents, very closely related. NEVER say "I'm fine" as a problem could arise later after the adrenalin and endorphins wear off. Say "I don't know" until you can get a medical assessment.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1383-Crash!!-You-ve-had-an-accident-with-a-car.-What-do-you-do-now

Sounds like an assault case to me - were the cops witnesses? If not, did you get any witnesses names? It sounds like the Escalade driver admitted his actions to the officers - can you get a copy of the report?

I wish I had those points written down from the link. I was so surprised that I had been tackled that I really wasn't thinking about anything else other than what the hell is going on here and why. The cops said they did not see him tackle me, but they heard him yelling when I was on the ground and that's what prompted them to come over.

I'm sure there were witnesses, but nobody stopped that I could tell. Part of the problem was I was down on the ground in the cycletrack focused only on the guy above me and the squad cars over to my left. By the time I got up the police were asking us both questions and checking me for injuries. The only guy I'm sure saw it was the homeless gentleman at McPherson Square who looks over that way and yells 'Good Morning' every day to people walking right there.

The guy did admit to the police that he tackled me. It came in the beginning during a brief exchange where the cops asked what happened. As I explained that he tackled me, he said damn right I tackled him. The cop asked him again saying to clarify it was he saying he tackled me and he said yes, i tackled him.

eminva
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree that this was an assault; the analysis should be completely independent of what happened at the intersection earlier (he was also at fault there for failing to yeild on his turn; but good luck getting any action on that without a police officer witness). This absolutely should be charged. If a police officer sees a couple of pals swinging away at each other, that's the time for the "let's all make this go away quietly" chat, but when a citizen assaults a complete stranger in downtown DC, with possible injuries (I take it from their conversation they thought this was a possibility) that calls for official action.

I would either contact a lawyer or keep pestering the police, take it all the way up to Kathy Lanier if necessary. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I hope you and your bike are okay.

I wouldn't beat myself up too much about not taking all the excellent steps outlined in the previous posting -- perfect recall is a bit much to expect under extraordinary circumstances. But your idea of printing it out is good; maybe I will do the same, laminate it and keep it in my panniers.

Liz

cephas
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure why not go after him with a civil suit, in addition to pressing charges. There's absolutely no excuse for tackling you, despite what the officer suggested.

Also, I'm a bit confused with your opening. You were heading northbound (i.e. away from that White House) on 15th? So, that's right outside the metro entrance? Did the Escalade turn right or left? It took me a minute to remember that the cycletracks were on what would be the southbound side of the 15th St, but still not sure I understand.

pfunkallstar
11-09-2011, 02:22 PM
DC is a little different than Maryland and significantly different than Virginia when it comes to assault. DC has at least three different levels of misdemeanor assault, which range from inappropriate touching to assault with the intent to injure. I would contact a lawyer and explain your story in detail, it is likely that you will be able to put together a pretty sound case for at least one of the lesser degrees of misdemeanor assault. It sounds like this guy was in the wrong on a number of levels, so file the charges and teach him a lesson.

Terpfan
11-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure why not go after him with a civil suit, in addition to pressing charges. There's absolutely no excuse for tackling you, despite what the officer suggested.

Also, I'm a bit confused with your opening. You were heading northbound (i.e. away from that White House) on 15th? So, that's right outside the metro entrance? Did the Escalade turn right or left? It took me a minute to remember that the cycletracks were on what would be the southbound side of the 15th St, but still not sure I understand.

Correct, I was heading away from the White House past the Department of Veteran Affairs (it may technically be called Vermont from that side of the road). The cycletrack is located on the southbound side so in this case it's the left hand side, which is going against traffic in it's design. I Street is one way running west there so he was turning right onto that street.

The civil suit is an open possibility. But honestly I would be happy with an apology and promise not to do it again. My fear is more that if he doesn't think their are any consequences that he will do it again. I think I got lucky with just minor scrapes, but it could've easily been landing another way and missing a few teeth.

MCL1981
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
He needs to be arrested for the violent broad daylight assault. That is criminal. A civil suit along with criminal charges, probably not necessary if you don't have actual damages. If you do, he should be held responsible then.

Riley Casey
11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Piling on because this situation really demands it. This was wrong on a personal affront level but as Liz said its wrong on the body politic level too. Citizens don't just knock each other down for trivialities. If that becomes the norm we have all given up too much. Take some stand even if it's no more than demanding an apology with the implication of further action if none is forthcoming.

Arlingtonrider
11-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Terpfan, Be sure to check your "Notifications" next to where you log in.

invisiblehand
11-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Correct, I was heading away from the White House past the Department of Veteran Affairs (it may technically be called Vermont from that side of the road). The cycletrack is located on the southbound side so in this case it's the left hand side, which is going against traffic in it's design. I Street is one way running west there so he was turning right onto that street.

The civil suit is an open possibility. But honestly I would be happy with an apology and promise not to do it again. My fear is more that if he doesn't think their are any consequences that he will do it again. I think I got lucky with just minor scrapes, but it could've easily been landing another way and missing a few teeth.

Yes. I think so too.

Terpfan
11-30-2011, 12:16 PM
I finally got my accident and report. Low and behold I'm the one noted in the incident report for a 'hit and run'.

Here's the narrative verbatum (including spelling and grammar):
"Vehicle-one is a bicycle. Vehicle-two had constructional possession of the bicycle lane and was involved in making a right turn in the intersection of 15th and I streets NW. V-2 had to stop for pedestrian using the crosswalk. Vehichle-one was traveling north bound and in a bicycle lane. The bicycle lane allows bicycles to travel in both directions. Vehicle-one stopped but extended his arm, which stop him from running into vehicle-two's truck. Vehicle-one made contact with vehicle-two's truck; with his extented hand. Vehicle-one admitted this fact in a conversation with driver-two infront of police. Vehicle-one attempted to ride off from scene. Rider-1 was stopped by driver-two. Driver-2 grabbed the back of rider-1's seat, which caused rider-1 to fall to the ground and strick is right knee. D-2 had a scatch to his right arm as a result of stopping the bicyclist (rider-1). Rider-1 and D-2 refused medical treatment on the scene. Driver-two reported damage to his vehicle but no damage could be observed by this reporting officer to either vehicle."

Needless to say I am pretty ticked off at the officer involved for his ommitance of the driver saying flat out he tackled me, not once, but several times including as a response to the officer's direct question. And there was never a hit and run because I never hit his vehicle. Let alone the fact that I was stopped for several seconds since I slid off the saddle and at no point did the driver ever attempt any communication, not even to exchange words. I get the distinct impression that the officer is attempting to avoid having to file more paperwork by citing it as a hit and run with no damage and then ommiting the separate tackling incident.

Anyway, I swear I give up with the DC police. Over the years I have gotten to know several outstanding officers yet all too often they seem to be the exception and not the rule. I have placed a call to the involved officer as I would like to chat with him before I decide whether to file an official complaint, but I'm certainly leaning toward a complaint now.

mrkenny83
11-30-2011, 12:34 PM
but I'm certainly leaning toward a complaint now.

You need to. Nothing will be done unless you do. It's sad, but the innocent person is the one who needs to go through all the annoyance & hard work.

guacamole62
11-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I need to speak up here. I'm the poster who got hit on Monday on Irving Street. I just got my accident report and was referred to as a pedestrian. Here you are cited as a vehicle. I just don;t get how they quantify whether you are a vehicle or a pedestrian. There's no consistency which is also a testimonial to the fact that we need more laws set into place where cyclists are concerned! Who sets the standards or is it up tp the whim of the offiocials involved and what is most convenient. This is a real problem.

eminva
11-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi,

I need to speak up here. I'm the poster who got hit on Monday on Irving Street. I just got my accident report and was referred to as a pedestrian. Here you are cited as a vehicle. I just don;t get how they quantify whether you are a vehicle or a pedestrian. There's no consistency which is also a testimonial to the fact that we need more laws set into place where cyclists are concerned! Who sets the standards or is it up tp the whim of the offiocials involved and what is most convenient. This is a real problem.

I think I've read here or at Washcycle that it is tough to get good statistics on bicycle accidents because there is no place to designate on the accident report that a bike was involved. This also results in the types of problems you have discovered -- different officers make different judgment calls about how to handle it. I believe WABA has periodically raised this issue with MPD, and I'm not sure what the outcome has been or the status now. Maybe it's time for WABA to meet with the police again to discuss their handling of accidents involving cyclists? How would one agitate for that?

Liz

Terpfan
11-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi,

Geeze, sorry to hear you got hit. Were you riding at the time? I looked up the DC law regarding cyclists and cycletracks following my ordeal and we're considered vehicles, but we're given the priority of pedestrians in crosswalks/cycletrack crossings (I should note that the priority of the crosswalk goes pedestrian, then cyclist, then vehicle--we also have to yield to pedestrians). I suppose the exception to this would be if someone was walking with their bike and then they would be considered a pedestrian. I honestly don't think the police understand the law themselves. For instance, claiming I hit and ran on a vehicle when I was clearly standing there for a good 10 seconds and when they even noted there was no damage is akin to claiming that if you touch someone's car you have theoretically created a vehicular collision regardless of damage, which is patently absurd.

I got the distinct impression in my situation that the officer's diligence was to whatever helped him avoid more paperwork. By connecting the two incidents and claiming a hit and run with no damage he is trying to avoid the potential of me filing assault charges and the potential of the vehicle owner retialiting by claiming damage. So he notes no damage, declined medical attention (they called an ambulance that never showed up--I certainly did not decline it and said very specifically I'm not a medical professional therefore I could only guess as to my own condition), and doesn't file any charges either way. I was once employed by a legislative body that worked on precisely these kind of laws (although not in DC) and was familiar with complaints to this regard about the police. I'm tempted to write a family member in the district's council person to ask that they clarify the various aspects of the law cited, but then I question if it's worth my time.

MrKenny, yah, I'm thinking I probably should for the reasons you cite. But honestly I doubt there will be any ramifications for the cop in question.

Terpfan
11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
I think I've read here or at Washcycle that it is tough to get good statistics on bicycle accidents because there is no place to designate on the accident report that a bike was involved. This also results in the types of problems you have discovered -- different officers make different judgment calls about how to handle it. I believe WABA has periodically raised this issue with MPD, and I'm not sure what the outcome has been or the status now. Maybe it's time for WABA to meet with the police again to discuss their handling of accidents involving cyclists? How would one agitate for that?

Liz

Good idea on WABA meeting. I don't know about Guacomole, but I would be glad to share my experience with the MPD (I did file it with WABA) both the good and bad of dealing with their officers (in fairness, two of the later responding cops were wonderful during my ordeal compared to the first-responding ones).

MCL1981
12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
You need to escalate this bullshit up someone's ass in the chain of command. That report is utter non-sense. You were violently assaulted by a thug in the middle of the road in broad daylight.

Mark Blacknell
12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
WABA's got an ongoing conversation with MPD and the council over MPD enforcement and training re: bikes. A recent result of those efforts: http://www.waba.org/blog/2011/09/dc-office-of-police-complaints-releases-report-on-mpd-bicyclist-interactions/

Terpfan - please follow up on your experience. Not as a matter of retribution toward the officer (however pleasing that might be), but for your fellow cyclists. Allowing things like that to pass without pushback simply encourages more of it. No, you're not going to get invited to a Beer Summit with the guy, but if you push, I bet he'll think twice about handling the next cyclist that way.

Terpfan
12-01-2011, 12:36 PM
WABA's got an ongoing conversation with MPD and the council over MPD enforcement and training re: bikes. A recent result of those efforts: http://www.waba.org/blog/2011/09/dc-office-of-police-complaints-releases-report-on-mpd-bicyclist-interactions/

Terpfan - please follow up on your experience. Not as a matter of retribution toward the officer (however pleasing that might be), but for your fellow cyclists. Allowing things like that to pass without pushback simply encourages more of it. No, you're not going to get invited to a Beer Summit with the guy, but if you push, I bet he'll think twice about handling the next cyclist that way.

That's a good point about the officer at least having to follow-up and learn more about cyclists potentially leading to a changed attitude/understanding. Also good to see the WABA advocacy.

Terpfan
01-02-2012, 10:02 AM
So after finally touching base with the officer and him blowing me off on filing assault charges (he told me I had to wait until an investigation of hit and run was done before I could file charges despite me saying I wished to file them independently), I was able to get a resolution. I was set to file a complaint about the officer in question, especially after being blown off and literally hung up on when I politely inquired to the office how I would file the independent assault charges. However, I figured I should contact Chief Lannier (sp?)'s office and explain the situation to them. They replied immediately (about 5 minutes after I e-mailed them) saying they would ask that my complaint be addressed by the appropriate officers in charge at the 3rd district and I said sure I would give it a try. About a week later the commanding officer called me (who I should note was very polite and empathetic). He explained that he had spoken with his officer and that the original officer had decided to file the assault charges at my request and sought a warrant from the judge, but that the judge had decliend it.

I was not surprised at the outcome with the judge, but I was glad the charges were filed given the assailant's rap sheet I pulled from the Maryland court case search included issuance of a tpo, 2nd degree assault, failing to show up for court, paternity testing, and on and on. God forbid anything worse happens with this crazy guy, at least it will now be recorded for however long DC keeps it on their records (I think 10 years) and so if the guy pulls more stunts on other folks or in Maryland, it should show up and hopefully the next judge down the line will take his propensity for violence into consideration.

Greenbelt
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
It's kind of telling of the police mindset that they value cars more than people sometimes.

In LA, they've got a huge reward and dozens of investigators and agencies involved with finding the arsonist who's burning (unoccupied) cars. http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/02/us/california-arson/index.html?npt=NP1

But in the DC area, it's basically a free crime to kill or injure (or attempt to do either to) a cyclist or pedestrian with your car, whether is intentional, negligent, or truly accidental.

Riley Casey
01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Your reference and the linked article were the first time I had heard that these were car fires specifically. The previous news stories had simply stated that " many fires had been started in garages". Whats up? Has Anonymous (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=anonymous&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAnonymo us_(group)&ei=gvMBT-70MKbX0QHWsfXNAg&usg=AFQjCNGgewAzeblsTn2fw4WyPksg_qQHRA&sig2=3cul7nGUeTno_fWsSHjKmg) set its sights on car culture now?

MCL1981
01-03-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm sure the judge declined the warrant because the officer worded the affidavit in a manner to ensure it was declined. He didn't want to do it in the first place and you can easily make sure it goes no further that way. If the officer was motivated to actually arrest a person who committed a violent crime in broad daylight, he would have been in jail months ago.

KLizotte
01-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I was not surprised at the outcome with the judge, but I was glad the charges were filed given the assailant's rap sheet I pulled from the Maryland court case search included issuance of a tpo, 2nd degree assault, failing to show up for court, paternity testing, and on and on. God forbid anything worse happens with this crazy guy, at least it will now be recorded for however long DC keeps it on their records (I think 10 years) and so if the guy pulls more stunts on other folks or in Maryland, it should show up and hopefully the next judge down the line will take his propensity for violence into consideration.

What's a tpo?

Wow, you were lucky to get away with only a few minor bruises. It's horrible to think this guy is out there roaming the streets getting away with all of this stuff. Even scarier is the reason for it: worse people are clogging up the justice system.

JeffB
01-07-2012, 02:13 PM
tpo = Temporary Protection Order

It signifies that our Escalade driving friend has a violent temper.

MCL1981
01-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Who would ever have thunk it....

WillStewart
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
I agree the officer is trying to dissuade you from filing an assault charge, and is betting that you'll just melt into the background.

I would strongly suggest that you contact an attorney that is experienced in cycle matters (like Bruce, etc) and have them hear your case. You have absolutely nothing to lose if they decline, but can change the system for the better if you go forward.

Terpfan
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
tpo = Temporary Protection Order

It signifies that our Escalade driving friend has a violent temper.

Correct, TPO is a court-issued temporary protective order. There are also final protective orders too.

And I think you're right MCL on how he worded it.

The whole thing has convinced me to help WABA more lobbying DC government for changes. I got the distinct impression that only things coming down from the very top seem to warrant much of any attention from the cops.

Mariner
01-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Glad to hear you're ok. That is a nasty intersection with I Street traffic always pushing the 15th St light. Traffic there on 15th is light but Eye is crushing.