PDA

View Full Version : Checking for speed on Custis 11/9

OneEighth
11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Saw a guy with a radar gun trying to clock bike traffice on the Custis just West of the S-curve of Meh. (It only blossoms into the S-curve of Death when there is a carpet of wet leaves or frozen precip.)
Could someone be making the case for banked corners, gravel pits, and piles of tires on the outside of corners? Or are they going for speed bumps?

Dirt
11-09-2011, 08:57 AM
He was above it yesterday morning.

With a bunch of us on cargo bikes going down that, I'm guessing they're contemplating a runaway truck ramp. ;)

Mark Blacknell
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Not a cop? If not, then most likely a VDOT worker who is part of a study about commuting speeds along the I-66 corridor. It's my understanding that some VDOT people are surprised that you can move along it on a bike quicker than you can by car, in rush hour. So my guess is that they're trying to wrap their heads around the facts.

americancyclo
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Saw this same dude yesterday at the intersection of the W&OD and the bridge that goes to N. Potomac St by Madison Manor Park. He was pointing the device at folks heading eastbound.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=22046&hl=en&ll=38.883517,-77.150534&spn=0.004426,0.006899&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.863178,56.513672&vpsrc=6&hnear=Falls+Church,+Virginia+22046&t=m&z=17

Dirt
11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
So my guess is that they're trying to wrap their heads around the facts.
I wrapped my head around a fact once. I guess that explains my complete inability to use large words in intelligent conversation... and my strange fascination with plastic toys from the 1970s.

What were we talking about?

mrkenny83
11-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Can someone elaborate on the S-curve of death (I'm still new here)? I'm assuming that's the windy hill that takes you up to the little bridge (if I'm going west-bound towards Vienna)?

Mark Blacknell
11-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Yes, Kenny, that's it. That curve has collected a surprising amount of cyclist skin and bike paint over the years. Even experienced cyclists aren't immune to its charms. Theories on why this is the case could probably fill a thread.

americancyclo
11-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Not a cop?
The guy I saw on Tuesday morning had a jacket that said 'POLICE' on the back. I thought it was a really long walk of shame from halloween.

OneEighth
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
It's the hill behind the Italian Store in Arlington where the Custis crosses 29.

Well, shoot, if they were looking for comparative speeds I would have gone along at the usual clip instead of behaving myself.
And then I would have stopped and asked how fast I was going.
And, if I didn't like the answer, I'd ask for a do-over.

jrenaut
11-09-2011, 09:22 AM
It's the hill behind the Italian Store in Arlington where the Custis crosses 29.

Well, shoot, if they were looking for comparative speeds I would have gone along at the usual clip instead of behaving myself.
And then I would have stopped and asked how fast I was going.
And, if I didn't like the answer, I'd ask for a do-over.
I registered on the "Your Speed Is" sign on Hains Point this morning for the first time. At first it said 27mph, but that was just the asshole in a car behind me who passed too close despite no one else on the road in either direction. After he passed, the speed dropped down to 16, which means I need to work on my conditioning. I was tired this morning.

OneEighth
11-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I absolutely love that thing. And have been know to go back for multiple do-overs if a car passes while I'm approaching or if I just don't like the results.
Mirror, mirror on the wall...

Dirt
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I registered on the "Your Speed Is" sign on Hains Point this morning for the first time. I got it up to 23mph on the cargo bike on Monday afternoon. :D

OneEighth
11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
23mph on The Thing...niiiiiiiice.

jrenaut
11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
I got it up to 23mph on the cargo bike on Monday afternoon. :D
Thanks for sharing, I appreciate having goals.

MCL1981
11-09-2011, 10:45 AM
If it was a police officer... is there a speed limit on the trail? The CCT (only one I'm familiar with that has a limit) is 15mph. Perhaps he was either looking to give out some bike tickets or just reminding people not to be stupid.

Dirt
11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for sharing, I appreciate having goals.
I had to rest for a while after that and the hills hurt on the way home. It wasn't exactly smart, but I'll likely try it again on Monday. :D Someday I'll do something useful.

jrenaut
11-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I had to rest for a while after that and the hills hurt on the way home. It wasn't exactly smart, but I'll likely try it again on Monday. :D Someday I'll do something useful.
That's okay, I have a much shorter commute than you do :D

dbb
11-09-2011, 01:46 PM
If you want the speed without the work, try the speed cameras in Cheverly.

The Washington Examiner reports today http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/maryland/2011/11/speed-camera-company-quits-cheverly-equipment-challenged that the speed cameras "clocked" "bicycles were clocked going 38 and 57 mph"

The only way I would make those speeds is if the recording device were broken.

consularrider
11-09-2011, 02:28 PM
If you want the speed without the work, try the speed cameras in Cheverly.

The Washington Examiner reports today http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/maryland/2011/11/speed-camera-company-quits-cheverly-equipment-challenged that the speed cameras "clocked" "bicycles were clocked going 38 and 57 mph"

The only way I would make those speeds is if the recording device were broken.

Enjoy the speed camera on Military Road in North Arlington. It's at the bottom of a downhill stretch and it's easy to get up to the 30 mph speed limit (and since I always obey the speed limit, that's all I'm going to say).

Dirt
11-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Enjoy the speed camera on Military Road in North Arlington. It's at the bottom of a downhill stretch and it's easy to get up to the 30 mph speed limit (and since I always obey the speed limit, that's all I'm going to say).
There's one on West Street in Falls Church that would be AWESOME to play with, if I were the kind of person who played with such things.

CCrew
11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I have a blast playing with the red light cameras at Glebe and Fairfax in the wee hours. If I come off the Custis and down onto Fairfax "just so" and stop just at the far side of the crosswalk I can trip them every time :)