PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 24" road or cx bike

OneEighth
11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Just in case...
I'm looking for a 24-inch road bike or cx bike. No joy on ebay so far, so I thought I'd give you lot a shout. Never know what's hanging out in your basements.
Thanks!

DismalScientist
11-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Good luck. I purchased a Bridgestone 90 off of ebay and am waiting for my kid to grow into it. Late '80s steel with stem mounted shifters and suicide brake levers. 1 3/8 inch tires. It even has a quill seat post! You are welcome to borrow it for a while, but I imagine you are looking for a Fuji Ace 24 or better.

Is something like a GMC Denali salvageable is the hands of competent home bicycle mechanic?

OneEighth
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the very nice offer.
I was hoping to get her started on STI's and was planning on avoiding both the Fuji and the GMC because neither one has STI's.
Both Scott and Kona have nice offerings, but I'm not inclined to spend that on a kid's bike until that kid starts truly kickin' it like a little Liz Hatch...and then I'll sell some of my stuff to pay for hers!
You know, up until about four years ago, I had a 1984 Peugeot PGN10 with shifters on the downtube (though I did upgrade them from friction in about 1987) which I pressed into service when I first started commuting by bicycle instead of motorcycle.

eminva
11-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I took my son to participate in a kid's triathlon and was astonished at the nice equipment some of the kids were riding. I assume these are kids whose parents are triathlon enthusiasts and either had a small bike already or had no objection to spending big bucks on a growing kid. You might inquire around the local triathlon clubs.

Liz

OneEighth
11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Great suggestion, thanks!

DismalScientist
11-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Saw this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREK-ROAD-BIKE-JUNIORS-/180756550838?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2a15ee14b6
4 hours to go.

OneEighth
11-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, it was planes, trains, and automobiles for me today and I wasn't able to even log on to check.
And, for the record, after a day spent in airports and traffic, I am truly looking forward to riding my bike in the rain tomorrow morning. Wash me clean...