PDA

View Full Version : Reflective Gear - Good information

dbb
10-21-2011, 07:49 PM
I just got my copy of Public Works magazine and it is a page turner this month!

There are two articles of interest to the cycling community. The first is a discussion on reflective gear and the second is an article on how people see things around them (based on the observations of the motorists at the Lynn Street intersection, the data would suggest poorly to not at all)

Unless you want to wait for your own issue to arrive in the mail, the links are:

http://go.hw.net/pwapparel

http://go.hw.net/pwsafety

Because I am a t-shirt wearing cyclist (many pairs of biking shorts but no jerseys), I have purchased lime green t-shirts from www.safetydepot.com that are quite visible.

The last section in the second article pretty much captures what we know "Class 2 ANSI/ISEA 107 garments feature both horizontal and vertical bands of reflectors that are easily seen when headlights shine on them. But Class 3 garments perform even better because they combine reflectivity and emphasize pedestrian motion by placing reflectors on wrists and ankles — strong light in motion catches the eye the best." (I can see Dirt loading up with more BikeArlington wristbands now)

and

"At night, wear reflectors on your wrists and ankles to reflect your movement. Don't rely on a white T-shirt to reflect more than a darker piece of clothing; in studies, 3M has proven that nonreflective fabrics offer little luminance at night regardless of color. In the daylight, wear colors that contrast with the environment.

Your absolute best defense, however, is to believe you aren't seen and act accordingly."

Ride safe

Dana

americancyclo
10-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Can we forward this to all the ninja joggers?

dbb
10-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Can we forward this to all the ninja joggers?

Alas, it isn't clear they would understand. With the reflective stuff in most running stores (augmented by the calls "something reflective please" from cyclists), one would hope they would detect a theme.

MCL1981
10-22-2011, 05:32 PM
When I ride in the cold, I wear my reversible class 2 jacket from when I was in the FD before moving down here. I would regularly wear this while standing in the road acting as a target for oncoming traffic. If they don't see me in this, they won't see me in anything.

dbb
10-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Alert Shirt has some stuff as well.

The class 2 (middle noticeable level) is available as a short sleeve shirt. Might be appropriate next spring. Long sleeve are available elsewhere

www.alertshirt.coom