PDA

View Full Version : Simple way to carry U lock

Joe Chapline
04-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I just figured this out and thought it might help someone else. I have a U lock, which is very common, and an Avenir rear rack, a common brand. When I commute, I carry the lock in a pannier, but I sometimes just want to take the lock, no bags. I spent at least an hour trying to find a place on my bike frame to attach the (crappy) bracket that came with the lock. I also got out every bungee cord I have and tried to find a convenient way to secure the lock to the top of the rack. Then I hit on this -- just slip the "U" part of the lock down through the open part of the rack. The lock rests on the rack struts and can't move very far.

Mark Blacknell
04-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank you for not suggesting that we put on skinny jeans and shove it down the back of our pants.

Dirt
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Now I just need a way to carry my 12-pound lock and chain. ;) I guess there's some workout value to wearing it around my neck.

On Topic: @Joe: You might find that a short bungee cord helps it hold still in that position with all the root-induced bumps on the Custis trail these days. Sometimes gravity is not enough... even with an anchor-weight U-lock like you're hefting.

Great post. Thank you!

Pete

Tim Kelley
04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I guess there's some workout value to wearing it around my neck.

That's what Mr. T would do...

Joe Chapline
04-19-2010, 09:08 AM
@Dirt: I have one of those Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chains. That requires a pannier -- or a trailer.

Dirt
04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
That's what Mr. T would do...
Not a good look for me... especially after just finishing 4 months of physical therapy for my neck. Don't think I didn't try it though. Conte's sales staff pretended to think I was funny because I am a regular customer there.

@Dirt: I have one of those Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chains. That requires a pannier -- or a trailer.
Thought about just dragging it behind the bike. It would be another tool in my arsenal that lets people know that I'm passing on the left. Might be a slight safety hazard though. Might have to rethink that.

It will end up in the bottom of my cat litter bucket panniers. (Photo-documentation of those will be coming soon to a Bike Arlington Forum post near you.)