PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lost my padlock key.

FrankF
09-23-2011, 09:36 AM
My bike is locked up near an Arlington Metro station, and I've lost the key. I don't think I'm going to find it. What do I do? I called the nearest bike shop, and they told me to call a car mechanic who might have the right tools. I called the Arlington Police, because I figured they would have a protocol for that, and the guy who answered the phone said he had never encountered this before, but he agreed that I should probably call them before I cut the lock off, and they would send an office to supervise or something, because it would obviously be suspicious-looking to show up at the Metro with bolt cutters or whatever it would take. But I still don't know how to actually get the job done. It's a padlock and a fairly heavy-grade cable "chain" with a rubberized coating. Thanks.

Joe Chapline
09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
This has never happened to me, but I would call a locksmith and tell them the situation. I think they would have the tools to cut the cable and they're set up to handle emergencies. It will cost you, of course.

baiskeli
09-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I'll bet you could buy a battery powered angle grinder, and then a new lock, for less than a locksmith would charge. Or borrow one. I'd let you borrow mine if I had one.