PDA

View Full Version : Wonky bike computer....possible solutions?

JustinW
09-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi all,

My bike is set up with a fairly lo-tech wired bike computer (a 2 wire system that offers cadence as well as the usual info).

Is it possible that the computer can stop sensing data if the wires get pinched, and if so, is there a way to check and fix?

This bike recently went to and from the beach on a bike rack, so I wonder if some part of the wire got pinched in the process. Upon reaching the beach, I had a temporary data outage that seemed to resolve itself. Since returning, only the cadence function works; none of the other data are received and displayed.

A visual inspection found nothing obvious. I could remove and re-install the whole deal, but I'm seeking any other courses of action that might help.

Thanks in advance....

americancyclo
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
First place I'd check is where the cable meets the sensors, or the mount. Next I'd look for places it might have contacted while on the rack. Possible you got some salt or sand in the connection between the mount and the display. Lastly I'd check the battery, if you haven't replaced that in a while.

PrintError
09-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Mine also gets wonky if it gets wet and I don't dry/clean the connectors.

ronwalf
09-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Here I was hoping 'wonky' meant your computer started giving you the truly nerdy info, like how fast you have to peddle to make the next green.

Check that the sensor and magnet didn't get misaligned?

JustinW
09-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Here I was hoping 'wonky' meant your computer started giving you the truly nerdy info, like how fast you have to peddle to make the next green.

Check that the sensor and magnet didn't get misaligned?

Inevitably the answer to that first bit is "faster than you are pedalling now"....

Checked the alignment of the magnet and sensor, that is fine. Will inspect the other points for failure...darn technology won't let me ride..... ;)