PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrians in 15th St Bike Lanes Due to Construction

DCLiz
09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I finally got back on the bike this morning after taking a hiatus during the summer heat. As I headed north on the 15th St bike lane from the Penn Ave cycle track, I noticed that construction blocking the sidewalk in front of the U.S. Treasury was causing pedestrians to walk en masse down the bike lane. Signs were posted that said DO NOT WALK IN BIKE LANE, but they did not deter the hoards.

Mainly posting as a heads up that this section of the lane has effectively been reduced to one lane for bikes going in both directions, but also to see if there's anything to be done about it. Does WABA know? Any idea how long the construction will take? I'm kind of dreading my ride home tonight. I guess I'll just get off an walk with everyone else!

Liz

UPDATE: I see Dirt already started a thread on this. Sorry! http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1124-15th-Street-MUTway&highlight=15th

Dirt
09-14-2011, 06:28 AM
No need to apologize. It is actually my fault for jumping the gun on my post. ;)

It is definitely worth noting that the sidewalk is still closed. The Cycleway is the de-facto sidewalk until they earthquake (or debt ceiling) damage to the Treasury building is fixed.

Rock on, Liz! Great to have you back on 2 wheels.

Pete