PDA

View Full Version : Kidical Mass Arlington 2017 Planning

dasgeh
03-21-2017, 09:57 AM
Time to really start planning the rides. I'm going to try to plan a little more in advance - date, time, and start (instead of just date) - this year.

So far, the only firm dates: I have are:

April 29th: Bike rodeo/family bike show & tell, etc at Arlington Women's Center
May 14th, thinking 4pm. It's Mother's Day - totally open to suggestions for rides!

Suggestions for when/where/events to connect to/rides you loved and want to do again, etc welcome!

Thanks

chris_s
03-21-2017, 10:48 AM
May 14th, thinking 4pm. It's Mother's Day - totally open to suggestions for rides!

We should ride to Bakeshop / Artisan Confections / Screwtop Wine Bar in Clarendon. They're all on the same block. There isn't a woman in my life that wouldn't be pretty excited for something from at least one of those three places.

That said, I'm having real trouble coming up with a safe and flat 3 mile ride that ends there. Between Washington Blvd being awful to ride on and awful to cross, 10th Street being awful to cross, Barton being a crazy hill, Kirkwood being in a ditch and 66 being hard to cross....grrr.

dasgeh
03-21-2017, 10:50 AM
We should ride to Bakeshop / Artisan Confections / Screwtop Wine Bar in Clarendon. They're all on the same block. There isn't a woman in my life that wouldn't be pretty excited for something from at least one of those three places.

That said, I'm having real trouble coming up with a safe and flat 3 mile ride that ends there. Between Washington Blvd being awful to ride on and awful to cross, 10th Street being awful to cross, Barton being a crazy hill, Kirkwood being in a ditch and 66 being hard to cross....grrr.
The only option to end there is to take Highland - either ride around Lyon Village and take Highland south, or ride around Lyon Park/Ashton Heights and take Highland up.

But great suggestion

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

chris_s
03-21-2017, 10:54 AM
The only option to end there is to take Highland - either ride around Lyon Village and take Highland south, or ride around Lyon Park/Ashton Heights and take Highland up.

When coming from the North I much prefer Fillmore to Highland. If you think Highland from the South is sufficiently chill for Kidical Mass, then I can definitely put together a route.

dasgeh
03-21-2017, 11:02 AM
When coming from the North I much prefer Fillmore to Highland. If you think Highland from the South is sufficiently chill for Kidical Mass, then I can definitely put together a route.

I don't love it, but it's ok. We could be bold and do something like this (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19709077) (ok, the reverse of this), starting at Fort Myer Heights Park, if we think we can survive the grade (which is over 5% for .1 mile) on the 50 Trail. Or maybe not, cause that's a lot...

chris_s
03-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Maybe something like this. (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19709093) Could easily add some more meander in Ashton Heights for more distance if you want, but I kind of like this because it's actually a useful, direct "I want to get from Columbia Pike to Clarendon" route that a family could use for transportation.

dasgeh
03-21-2017, 11:13 AM
The MJIM!!! Love it. Done and done. Thank you!

Other rides?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

btj
04-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Do you know what time the bike rodeo is on April 29th? I just saw the Arlington Palooza (https://parks.arlingtonva.us/events/arlington-palooza/) also on the 29th from 1-4pm and was going to suggest that as a destination until I saw the bike rodeo. Maybe there's a route that could incorporate both?