PDA

View Full Version : Next week's commute: break out the rain gear.

Greenbelt
09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
So I was looking at the weather page, and the modelers at the national Hydrometeorological Prediction Center (http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i12.gif)are predicting 3-4 inches of rain next week.

Here's the DC area NWS forecast (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=lwx&FcstType=text&zmx=1.1979166666666667&zmy=1.1979166666666667&site=LWX&map.x=318&map.y=126) for next week's commute (assuming hurricane Katia doesn't come close to shore, I think):

Tuesday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 8am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a high near 72. North wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tuesday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 62. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 71. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Wednesday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 65. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Thursday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 74. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Thursday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 65. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Friday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a high near 77. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a low around 64. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 78. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

americancyclo
09-05-2011, 10:18 AM
looks like I'll be on the metro until I can get a better rain commuter

ronwalf
09-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I was smiling ear to ear on the way home today - it's not often we get heavy rain in comfortable temperatures.

It may be time to invest in waterproof panniers, though. I wrapped everything in plastic bags before I left work, and that did the trick for today.

Greenbelt
09-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I love commuting in rain too, as long as it's not so misty that my glasses get fogged up. Of course, I've got a shower at work...

jrenaut
09-05-2011, 08:14 PM
What do you need a shower for? With this week's forecast, you will have just taken one when you arrive at work. You just need a towel and some dry clothes.

Dirt
09-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Fenders are your friend. It was lovely this morning.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6196/6119773031_7ffab91e45_b.jpg

jrenaut
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Great ride home just now. Although pedestrians are especially clueless when it's wet.

Greenbelt
09-06-2011, 05:14 PM
NE Branch Trail near its banks tonight. Any more heavy rain, and it'll be another mudbath tomorrow morning...

Dirt
09-07-2011, 06:07 AM
NE Branch Trail near its banks tonight. Any more heavy rain, and it'll be another mudbath tomorrow morning...
Enjoy your mud bath. :D I enjoyed my gentle spritzing.

americancyclo
09-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I didn't ride far this morning, but the mist hanging in the air was surreal, my headlight seemed to go on forever!

pfunkallstar
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
I love this time of year, the bike trail starts clearing out, mornings are crisp, and I seem to get fewer flats (nothing scientific here but I get far fewer in the winter). The only downside is guessing what clothes you will need the next day.

Greenbelt
09-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if some of the trailside rivers went over their banks today.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=30&site_no=01649500

Last time was a couple weeks ago, and we got quite a bit of mud and debris on the trails in my area:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FLASH FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1244 PM EDT WED SEP 7 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS EXTENDED THE

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA...
WESTERN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...
CITY OF ALEXANDRIA IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...
EASTERN CITY OF FALLS CHURCH IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...
ARLINGTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...
EASTERN FAIRFAX COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...
CENTRAL CHARLES COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 545 PM EDT

* AT 1242 PM EDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS REPORTED ROADS
CLOSED DUE TO FLASH FLOODING IN THE WASHINGTON DC AREA.
MEANWHILE...HEAVY RAINFALL OF ONE TO THREE INCHES HAS ALREADY
FALLEN IN THE DISTRICT...THE CLOSEST WESTERN SUBURBS...AND WESTERN
PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY...AND THREE TO FIVE INCHES OVER CHARLES
COUNTY.

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL CONTINUE TO BE AFFECTED BY THE HEAVY RAIN
INCLUDE ALEXANDRIA...ARLINGTON...BALLSTON...FORT BELVOIR...
FRANCONIA...HYBLA VALLEY...LAKE BARCROFT...LINCOLNIA...MCLEAN...
ROSSLYN...BLADENSBURG...CAMP SPRINGS...CHEVERLY...COLLEGE PARK...
CORAL HILLS...FRIENDLY...HYATTSVILLE...INDIAN HEAD...LA PLATA...
LANGLEY PARK...MARLOW HEIGHTS...OXON HILL...ST. CHARLES...ADAMS
MORGAN...ANACOSTIA...AMERICAN UNIVERSITY...GEORGETOWN...
KENILWORTH...DOWNTOWN WASHINGTON...US CAPITOL...FORT WASHINGTON...
FORT TOTTEN...GALLAUDET UNIVERSITY...GROVETON...HOWARD
UNIVERSITY...HUNTINGTON...NATIONAL HARBOR AND PORT TOBACCO RIVER.